Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So about Logan Paul...

Alright I know that this really isnt a proper place to discuss these kinds of things, yet I feel strongly about it and the topic isn't very polarizing or political so I'll discuss it briefly.

I'll start off with this, If you dont know what I'm talking about when I reference Logan Pauls recent video, I'd strongly urge you not to watch it. As a guy whos been in some horrible situations and I've seen some pretty messed up stuff, watching that video gave me the same disgusted gut feeling as I did in all those places in my life when I was faced with something so horrid. I know it sounds like I'm saying not to watch it because im emotional or something, that's just not the case. I'm saying don't watch it because there's nothing to gain from watching it.

Ok, so to quickly bring anyone up to speed on the video: Logan Paul, a huge youtuber very popular with kids from maybe age 9 - 19 and some older, recently released a video in which he spends the night in the Japanese suicide forest. In this video, Logan accidentally comes across the body of a man who had recent committed suicide.

As I saw it, this wasn't an issue at its core. The whole basis of the video was disrespectful, but I cant say that its so disrespectful that he should be condemned for it. However, His handling of this event is what makes his actions so horrible. Logan takes quite a about of time filming the actual body, the first strike. This was not only disgusting and something nobody wants to see, it was also disrespectful and a stupid thing to do when your fan base is largely based with children.

Secondly, his reaction to the body, while not ideal, was not an issue as much. I've seen people laugh after seeing someone they care about go to the hospital. I myself have laughed in situations like this. Its a form of shock and a coping mechanism. The problem with this is that Logan edited this video with comic book cartoony sound effects, to add suspense and comedy before he found the body. The beef I have with this is thata Logan edited this after the videa was fully filmed. With such a somber subject, he tried to make a funny and suspenseful video.

In my opinion, this was his biggest flaw. He easily could have made a video on this, not showed the body and showed how actually SERIOUS of a subject he was playing with.

Anyway, how do you folks feel about this?

Also just gonna drop this here because its very very important if you are struggling with this kind of stuff (Suicide Hotline - 1-800-273-8255)

It's not on, in my opinion.

Although the video has since been taken down and I do feel like he has handled the apology well, better than most Youtuber's have in the past, just the fact that he attempted to capitalise on something as serious as suicide, despite him not actually monotising the video, is extremely disrespectful. If he really wanted to create a vlog exploring the suicide forest, knowing that seeing what they saw was a distinct possibility, then including it in the video as the main focus, it shouldn't of been uploaded.

A better way to handle it would be to omit that part entirely, and maybe discuss what happened at the conclusion of the video, and certainly not put it in the titled. The first thing they should of done was call the police, not get closer and film the person up-close, then call the authorities.

Just my opinion though, the whole situation could've been dealt with so much better, and it should've been dealt with so much better. Now every creator and their dog are capitalising on the new 'drama'.

The darkness lays ever near the light.
Logan Paul is the scum of the Earth. That's as far as I'm going to go. What he did was absolutely unacceptable and he deserves to be put away for a long, long time.

I'm now going to leave before I go on a rampage and end up getting banned from the board.

Vaucris Macroe

"Captain Macroe of the First Order reporting for d
I've found it most interesting to watch the anime comunity react to this. Watching through their videos what I saw got worse and worse. First someone (who had actually done a video in the forest sponsored by the Japanese Government) pointed out how this was considered an incredibly horrible act in Japanese culture, even more so than in western culture, and is also actually illegal. Then another pointed out how he did it on a Japanese holy day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RDIniipWyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuJ09HN4JO4

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
I didn't know who Logan Paul was until yesterday, unsurprisingly when a 10-year-old student told me about him. This is big news in the 5th grade world apparently.

I watched the video, it was pretty cringe. What I find more strange is that a grown man with 15 million subscribers has made a career out of acting and dressing like a prepubescent child (with the haircut of one too). Though his viewership mostly consists of 10-12 year-olds, as evidenced above, so I guess he just knows how to appeal to his audience.

I also am one of those who had no idea who Logan Paul was, until I read this thread. I have no desire to watch the video, but from what I've read, what he did was...it's beyond my comprehension. That any human being would think this kind of content is okay to upload, under any circumstances, is absolutely abhorrent. It makes me sick.

And shame on youtube for not taking it down before the youtouber did, that was bad form.

Vaucris Macroe

"Captain Macroe of the First Order reporting for d
[member="Jor Kvall"]
Until yesterday, that was all I thought of Logan Paul as well. The slightly less cringey version of his brother. But I think it's important that you remember that this man just mocked a dead body that died in such a horrible way. I wouldn't describe that as "pretty cringe" unless we take cringe to it's most literal meaning, in that it makes you physically cringe out of disgust.

So this is a topic I have spent much of my adult life involved in from an academic perspective. I am a graduate student and my research focus is on understanding suicide in the hope of preventing it. While I am research heavy, many in the suicidology community are prevention focused more than I and I can tell you that in communications over our listserv, his actions have scared a lot of people. There is evidence of a contagion effect that can come about when media does not handle a suicide death properly. Sensationalizing a suicide, showing explicit details of the method, and various other careless acts can increase the risk for suicide for some people viewing.

Not only were his actions morally reprehensible and insensitive, they may have put lives at risk.

I didn't watch the video, and I intentionally avoided the news stories because I just didn't care. I only know what happened through headlines and references in other things I read. So I have no opinions about the video or his apology.

I do have a strong opinion about what this says about our culture. Everyone suddenly became obsessed with bashing (or, for a minority, defending) some guy who makes a living posting dumb videos on the internet. Why do people even know who this guy is? Why do people care what he's doing? I've never followed YouTube channels, I have a strong dislike for vlogs (except hickok45, of course), and I barely read blogs. The only social media I have is Twitter, where I follow news and sports pretty much exclusively. I had Facebook from about 2004 until 2011, but I deleted it when it became about high schoolers, stay-at-home moms, and Farmville. I guess I'm the one out of touch with this culture, but to me the reactions say a lot more about the state of the world than the underlying video itself.

Memes

Pizza Dog, Pizza Dog, put him in the oven and watc
[member="Kal Brennet"]

Recently, Logan Paul released a video that involved taking a struggling fish out of the water, "giving it CPR" and putting it back in the water at the request of the people filming with him. In the same video, he tries to taze a dead rat twice. The first time, after he tazes it, he uses the tazer prongs stuck in its body to pick it up and move it around. The second time, even his friend is telling him to stop.

Since that video, Youtube has outright suspended ads from all his videos because the media and PETA blasted him for it. Not a big hit and they only threw down the punishment after the media was calling him out, but it's still good that they've actually done something about one of their golden gooses, Logan Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom