Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Skira-class Heavy Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image: Sheer Sexiness
Image Credit: This Awesome Thing Right Here

Intent: To create a top-of-the-line cruiser that can compete with MandalMotors' Shev'la Stealth Cruiser as a viable reconnaissance platform, but without requiring a supply of a rare and expensive minerals. Secondary intent, to test experimental weapons technology.
Development Thread: SSB Auction, SSB Expo,
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: Skira-class Heavy Cruiser ("Settled Scores"-class, "Revenge"-class, or "Feud"-class; in Galactic Basic)
Affiliation: Mandalorian Navy, Hyperion Security, Open Market
Modularity: None
Production: Minor Production
Material: Alusteel, Durasteel, and other common construction materials,
Description: The pinnacle of Mandal Hypernautics technology, the Skira-class Heavy Cruiser was built specifically as a counter to the MandalMotors produced Shev'la-class Stealth Cruiser. Rare and extremely expensive to produce, the Skira-class's original prototype was built as a weapons testbed and personal flagship for Mandal Hypernautics CEO Rygel Larraq after the battle for Dromund Kaas.

Equipped with moderate stealth capabilities and extended range weaponry, this ship is designed to skirt the edges of the battlefield and provide precision fire support on key targets from the relative safety of its chosen position. Due to the hefty requirements of the sensor mask system, the ship has sub-standard shields for a ship of its size. Furthermore, activation of the sensor mask requires the shields to be brought down and weapons discharges from main battery gives away its position regardless of the sensor mask being online or not.

After a relative few deployments in combat, the Skira quickly became an object of interest for private buyers and military leaders alike. Initially hesitant to offer the pride of Mandal Hypernautics to outside sources, CEO Rygel Larraq was then convinced of the potential revenue such a warship could have on the open market when Tenloss CEO and known kingpin of the Hutt Cartel Popo continued bidding well beyond market price to obtain one of the rare and exclusive vessels. Walking out of the SSB Auction with a profitable contract and having sold a second Skira-class Heavy Cruiser to an eager buyer, Larraq was fully convinced to expand production of the Skira-class and make it more available to the open market.

Each 'fin' towards the aft of the ship is actually a sensor mast. At the tip of each mast are a number of individual sensors. The H.I.V.E. Droid processor analyzes the data from each sensor and then compares the minuet differences in sensor data to calculate the exact three dimensional location of all noteworthy objects within sensor range of the ship. The Ship has a sophisticated system of long range sensors to help it identify and track targets well outside of standard sensor ranges. Should the ship wish to track a target at even further ranges, the ship's LOS communications suite allows the ship to maintain a secure line of communication with cloaked and uncloaked fighters that can scout out targets for the ship. When the captain of this vessel chooses to fire upon a target, the H.I.V.E processor uses the data collected by the multiple sensor systems of the Skira-class Heavy Cruiser to triangulate the exact location of the target in relation to the cruiser and calculates the exact trajectory and timing required to strike a moving target at long ranges. These calculations are increasingly difficult for the processor at extreme ranges and require a considerable amount of time between shots, unless the target is moving directly towards the Cruiser or is particularly large or stationary.

Classification: Balanced Heavy Cruiser
Role: Strike/Recon Cruiser
Height: 420 meters
Width: 420 meters
Length: 850 meters
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Primary Antimatter Reactor, Secondary Antimatter Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: 2 (Class 10 Backup)
Minimum Crew: 843
Optimal Crew: 3,211

Armament Rating: 18

Armament:
The ship sports a balanced armament of Heavy, Long Range Turbolasers, Heavy Turbolasers, and Ion Cannons arranged into turrets capable of firing forward, as well as covering most of the ship's fire arcs in an even coverage of fire. A large number of forward facing Assault Concussion Missile Launchers supplement this armament. Mounted dorsally is a Vulcan Mass-Driver Flak Cannon capable of firing forward, port, starboard, aft, and above the ship up to a 50 degree inclination or 30 degree declination. Supporting the Vulcan Cannon are a number of traditional flak cannons arranged evenly over the hull

Hangar:
Two and a half squadrons of starfighters
One squadron of bombers
Half a squadron of shuttles or dropships

Non-Combative Attachments:
Passenger Capacity: 900
Cargo Capacity: 10,000 tons
Consumables: 6 Months
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: Class 6 (Class 7 in Reverse)
(2.0 Guide) Class 10 (Class 12 in Reverse) (3.0 Guide)

Number and gun stuff that needs to be fixed.
  • You currently have a capital grade weapons count of 154 guns (Ion Cannons count) The limit for Heavy Cruisers is 120.
  • Likewise you have 50 point defense guns and 6 AC tubes when the limit is 10 or 30 launchers. Though I will accept a mix where 1 gun equals 3 launchers.
  • Assault missiles are huge weapon systems and shouldn't have more than a handful, I'll let you have 4 with a significant reduction in capital weaponry.
  • You can have 36 total fighters/bombers, you have 48, reduce please.
  • This is an Ion Pulse Cannon. You can have the Deck Cannon but list it as such and count it as 2 capital guns.
  • IPC's are event tech and only one has been approved on a multi-event ship.
  • Hypervelocity cannon has to go, there are very few occasions when I would even think about allowing them.

Okay, on to the rest of it.
  • Personal ships can not exceed 400m in length. The loophole is that they can be fraction owned and lent out or detached in a personal command. Your company doesn't count as a fraction.
  • "activation of the sensor mask requires the shields to be brought down and weapons discharges from main battery gives away its position regardless of the sensor mask being online or not." Make this any gun and make it clear that the shields are down the entire time the mask is up.
  • Why are your hanger doors triple reinforced?
  • Gravometric, to the point where it can detect ships, would require a CGT in star wars and would allow you to detect most cloaked ships, in fact I don't think you need anything other than 'long range sensors.'
  • Sensor range will always exceed your weapon range, no 'firing over the horizon' to use a nautical term.
  • Building a ship out of duraplast generally isn't the best of ideas, just remove it unless its doing something special; if it is explain it.

Generally speaking this seems rather well thought out, just needs to be brought into the rang of what's allowable. Taking a look at the guns I'd say you should take a hink on just how you imagine this ship performing it task of long range sniping and what weapon systems it needs to do that. PLease take care of the mentioned problems and then @me for a second look.
@[member="Captain Larraq"]

The idea for the main weapons was to recreate the effect of the Aggressor-class's main battery with an up-scaled version of the Deck Cannon. Tactically speaking, the goal with the ship is to sit at extreme ranges and snipe with the main two weapons while backing up. As the target ship closes on the Skira-class, she continues to back up and adds her Long Range Turbolasers to the fray. Use the point defense weapons to clear out any fighters/bombers that get sent to deal with the Skira-class, and then finish off the enemy vessel with a surprise strike from the bomber wings that are in its hanger bays.

If you are unwilling to approve the HVC/Ion Cannon combo, what similar weapon system would you approve of? The goal of the ship is to operate as a heavy sniper unit/artillery unit.

The sensor systems are just an easter-egg for those that are familiar with EVE Online. They are the four types of ship sensors used in the game. The Gravometrics can easily be removed though.

The Hanger doors are triple-reinforced because I design my ships by analyzing the picture I pick out and building the ship template around it. The picture has very thick, moving hanger door. So I decided that it deserved a mention in the profile.

What do I have to do to keep the length intact?

I had intended to have the extra wing of Bombers replace the 5 walkers w/ barges that are allowed for a Heavy Cruiser's hanger bay. If this is not acceptable, what would be an acceptable exchange? Half a bomber wing?

Honestly, I have no idea what I was looking at when I drafted up the total number of guns for this thing. I'll go through and try to balance it out better.

@[member="Domino"]

"If you are unwilling to approve the HVC/Ion Cannon combo, what similar weapon system would you approve of? The goal of the ship is to operate as a heavy sniper unit/artillery unit."
I am not, nor can I think of one off the top of my head.

"The sensor systems are just an easter-egg for those that are familiar with EVE Online. They are the four types of ship sensors used in the game. The Gravometrics can easily be removed though."
I have an '07 character in Eve O and can fly every subcap and have Gal carrier 5. Remove gravometrics for the reasons I have stated, crossover tech only works once you've applied SW level tech to it and judge how it'll work in the new universe.

"What do I have to do to keep the length intact?"
The length is fine, I'm just saying you can't use it without it belonging to a faction.

"I had intended to have the extra wing of Bombers replace the 5 walkers w/ barges that are allowed for a Heavy Cruiser's hanger bay. If this is not acceptable, what would be an acceptable exchange?"
5 shuttles.

@[member="Domino"]

I linked in some sensors that I feel are appropriate proximates for what I had listed. Your thoughts?

I linked in the 'shield camouflage' sensor mask system. It's a canon item that requires the defensive shields to be down for it to function. Does this work for you, or would you like further explanation in the description still?

Weapons and hanger complement are in line now (I think).

Since I got rid of the two main weapons, I'm bringing the shields back up to normal strength.

I'd like to have as many 'Mandal Hypernautics' ships and equipment on this vessel as possible. I can work with the '5 shuttles' ruling, but I would like to create a Mandal Hypernautics shuttle to fill the role (well, a military/troop shuttle. I already have a cargo shuttle.), but there are no specific rules on 'shuttles' in the Starship creation template. Dropships, Gunships, and fighters/bombers are on there... but no shuttles. Any advice on design limitations for an assault shuttle or boarding craft before I get started? For instance, the Lambda-class Shuttle had 10 lasers on it. That puts it at more guns than a dropship and not far behind a dedicated gunship.

It was always my understanding that the Mandalorian culture had a decentralized military. Every soldier, tank, and starship belongs to one clan or other small group instead of 'the government'. And then when the Mand'alor calls, people say "hold my beer" grab their weapons, tanks, and starships, and come to fight for the Mand'alor. That's the entire purpose of the 'Hyperion Security' subsidiary of Mandal Hypernautics. To create an appropriate IC small group that can have military equipment to be called upon for faction stuff. It's... an awkward middle ground.

Magnetometric, LADAR, and RADAR Sensors
Redundant Full-Spectrum Sensors
Remove those lines, you get 'high gain, long-range sensors.' I said get rid of the mags and you dropped the LIDAR and linked the remaining stuff to other sensor types. No redundancy because your sensors are out on those spurs and once they're gone they're gone.

I said 4 assault concussion launchers, not 6. Leave the point usage at 16 each, add in ammo counts.

Go back to using the sensor mask and explain the shields in one sentence unless you really want it to only work around space dust and stuff.

@[member="Domino"]

I'll change the sensor mask and assault missile launchers to what you said as soon as I get a chance to hop onto my laptop.

I'm confused on what your saying about the sensor types. You had previously asked me to remove the gravimetric sensors, which I did. And said that crossover tech required appropriate SW level tech comparisons to be judged. Hence me searching through sensor systems for similarities. Could you please clarify what you would like me to do?

And if all possible, I'd really appreciate being able to keep the magnetometrics sensors included in the sheet as a shout out to EVE Online and because there is a very direct crossover that is a canon technology in Starwars. Are you absolutely dead set against specific sensor types?

The text said (and still says) magnetometric, hence it is not gone just because you linked it to something else on the wookie.

Magnetometric, LADAR, and RADAR Sensors
Redundant Full-Spectrum Sensors
Remove those lines, you get 'high gain, long-range sensors.' I said get rid of the mags and you dropped the LIDAR and linked the remaining stuff to other sensor types. No redundancy because your sensors are out on those spurs and once they're gone they're gone.

This is what I want you to do, you don't need to list out every little ship detail or ever sub will be miles long.

"And if all possible, I'd really appreciate being able to keep the magnetometrics sensors included in the sheet as a shout out to EVE Online and because there is a very direct crossover that is a canon technology in Starwars."
I already said no, find another way to pay homage if it means that much to you, Crystal Gravfield Traps exist, yes, you can't fit one to this ship.

@[member="Domino"]

I was referring to your previous posts. Not simply the last post you made. You had requested that I remove Gravometrics and stated that the other tech was irrelevant unless there was appropriate SW tech to go along with it. Or, that was how it read to me anyway.
Domino said:
  • Gravometric, to the point where it can detect ships, would require a CGT in star wars and would allow you to detect most cloaked ships, in fact I don't think you need anything other than 'long range sensors.'
Domino said:
I have an '07 character in Eve O and can fly every subcap and have Gal carrier 5. Remove gravometrics for the reasons I have stated, crossover tech only works once you've applied SW level tech to it and judge how it'll work in the new universe.
I was attempting to comply with the instructions you had given me, but in the end it doesn't matter. I went ahead and complied with your more recent request. "Long Range, High-Gain Sensors" are now the only sensor system listed in the post, as per your instructions. Though could you elaborate on the specific limitations of such a system? I'm not sure what specific qualities the 'High-Gain' aspect of the sensor system would elude to.

"(4) Assault Concussion Missile Tubes (16 each)" Need an ammo count for these, 6 each would be good.
And your guns are over limit again at 176/120

High-gain sensors means high detail, usually comes with a high refresh rate too. Other than that they are standard long range sensors.
It is assumed that all/most military ships can detect the power burst of another non-cloaked ship exiting hyper and do other non specialized sensing functions.
If you want super sensors and the like, I'd suggest paring up with a science type vessel.
tumblr_mczrvnwsvp1rju5ggo1_1280.png

@[member="Domino"]

Domino said:
"(4) Assault Concussion Missile Tubes (16 each)" Need an ammo count for these, 6 each would be good.
And your guns are over limit again at 176/120
Wait... I'm not seeing it...
I'm getting 112/120, plus the assault missile launchers.
or 92/120, plus the assault missile launchers, and the Vulcan Cannon counting as 30 defensive weapons
Are you counting the assault missile launchers as a set number of 'turbolasers'? OH! Oh my bad! the '16 each' for the assault missile launchers meant 16 missiles per launcher. I wasn't counting each missile launcher as 16 turbolasers. @_@ That would have to be a HUGE missile.

I dropped the missiles per tube down from 16 (a number of missiles per tube that I had seen on another ship) to 6 per tube, as per your instructions. Though... I'm not sure how the math checks out now. I had thought that the weapon limit for Heavy Cruisers was (120 turbolasers) and (10 point defense or 30 warhead launchers). Not (120 turbolasers and 10 point defense) or (30 warhead launchers). Based on the math where 1 quad laser equals 2 turbolasers, that puts the value of each warhead launcher at 4.66 turbolasers (instead of 1.5 turbolasers). @_@ These must be some ICBM type missiles we are talking about.

Assault concussion missiles basically are, they're capital missiles for use in capital fights, and normally they aren't allowed on sub 1,000m ships hence the major hit in weapons.
  • "Assault missiles are huge weapon systems and shouldn't have more than a handful, I'll let you have 4 with a significant reduction in capital weaponry."
  • "I said 4 assault concussion launchers, not 6. Leave the point usage at 16 each, add in ammo counts."
Both previous statements by me.
You also have the Vulcan listed under its alternative configuration as 20 capital guns.

-Please list the missiles like so: (4) Assault Concussion Missile Tubes (6 missiles each) (64 gun count)

Furthermore, I'm sure you realize this, but you can't fire the missiles or your vulcan cannon while your particle shields are raised.

"Based on the math where 1 quad laser equals 2 turbolasers, that puts the value of each warhead launcher at 4.66 turbolasers (instead of 1.5 turbolasers)."
I have no idea where you're getting this math.

@[member="Domino"]

Domino said:
"Based on the math where 1 quad laser equals 2 turbolasers, that puts the value of each warhead launcher at 4.66 turbolasers (instead of 1.5 turbolasers)."
I have no idea where you're getting this math.
I'm getting the core of the math from Fabula.

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/5974-malleus-class-star-destroyer/?p=184920

1 turbolaser > 2 laser cannons
1 quadlasers = 4 laser cannons

"120 Turbolasers + 10 Quadlasers" or "30 Warhead Launchers"
120+20 (10 quadlasers roughing up to about 20 turbolasers) divided by 30 = each Warhead Launcher being valued at 4.66 turbolasers
20 turbolasers (10 quadlasers) divided by 30 warhead launchers comes out at each Warhead Launcher being valued at 1.5 turbolasers
EDIT: that's 0.67 not 1.5 *facepalm*

Domino said:
Assault concussion missiles basically are, they're capital missiles for use in capital fights, and normally they aren't allowed on sub 1,000m ships hence the major hit in weapons.
  • "Assault missiles are huge weapon systems and shouldn't have more than a handful, I'll let you have 4 with a significant reduction in capital weaponry."
  • "I said 4 assault concussion launchers, not 6. Leave the point usage at 16 each, add in ammo counts."
Both previous statements by me.
Are you sure that math is right? Because on the "How to Build a Starship" guide, Gun-Heavy Cruisers can have 100 Turbolasers, 20 Flak Guns, and 6 Heavy Warhead Launchers all at once. And this is a Heavy Cruiser.

Captain Larraq said:
Are you sure that math is right? Because on the "How to Build a Starship" guide, Gun-Heavy Cruisers can have 100 Turbolasers, 20 Flak Guns, and 6 Heavy Warhead Launchers all at once. And this is a Heavy Cruiser.
Yes I'm sure, gun heavy is different from balanced, you shouldn't even be able to have assault concussions on this ship but I'm bending over backwards to help you get what you want. And you keep giving me heck for it. Don't like it? Take them off. Because I am one more discussion/argument away from denying this for lack of cooperation.

Now please make the edits I've asked for and we can move on.

@[member="Domino"]

I agree. The missiles are becoming more of a hassle than they are worth. I've gone ahead and removed them and put the default '10 mass-driver flak cannons' back onto the submission. I have also linked in a 'Heavy Shuttle' that I recently submitted. Though I was unsure if I should keep the capacity at 5 shuttles, or lower it to 3 of these shuttles.

Do not argue with the judge overseeing your submission, do not try to barter and make deals, this is a privilege not a right. You fight with them at every corner they're well within their bounds to deny it.

As it stands Approved, but do this again and you'll have more than just a minor verbal warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom