Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shy Characters - A discussion

JanesBatter

Zenith of Bakers
Hello, everybody! It's Jane if you couldn't tell! Today I've been thinking about creating a shy character, because I wanted someone more canon to be able to gather and broadcast information for my podcast. The only problem is, I don't know how to be all that shy! If any of you have had any shy characters (not characters you ever post with) please give me some head's up on what to expect!

I've played a few shy characters in the past, as well as mutes, which can have the same characteristics in some ways. It is different, and depending on how you write, it can be a struggle sometimes, especially when you wanna put some dialogue in where you know the character probably would instead be quiet. A lot of your posts you might find being more internal than external, dealing with the character's thoughts and senses, how they view the world around them. It's a whole different perspective, but it can be fun!

[member="JanesBatter"]

As someone who's written with a fair number of 'shy' 'anti-social' or 'mute' characters on other sites, here's a bit of pre-emptive feedback. they can be really fun to read or to write with, and I assume fun to write, but some people get.. selfish I guess, when they write them.

If your character will not throw mine a bone, if they refuse to be drawn in, expect some characters to just give up and leave to find someone who will interact with them. I've had people beg me to do threads (just because I only do a few at a time, not 'cause I'm special) and then it was like.. ten posts of me trying to draw their pointedly uninterested characters into anything before I got fed up and left way after my character actually would have thrown in the towel and they could not figure out why.

Do not get me wrong! I love writing with shy characters, because mine so rarely are, and dragging that shy introverted character into an extroverted characters chaotic mess of a world can be hugely fun, it's just the one breed that make me crazy.

Good luck! I liked your last info-blast :)

[member="JanesBatter"]

All of what [member="Sunny"] said. You can write your character as shy, but you absolutely need to give something for your writing partner to run with or they're just throwing words against a wall and expecting it to answer. Body language and facial expressions can be a very effective form of communication so long as you're writing in detail how they can (but not should) be interpreted. It'd also be helpful to PM your writing partner what to expect so they don't think you're just too lazy to communicate.

Shadow Hand
Top Poster Of Month
"Anti-Social" or "Shy" as a trait can be used to great effect for a characters development, as it is often triggered by some underlying problems whether stemming from recent, long-term, or subconscious problems someone has had due to events in their life, such as a veteran with PTSD or someone going through a traumatic experience. I personally believe if its used it shouldn't be a permanent part of your character, as you always want your character to be able to change and develop through the experiences he or she has has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom