Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Should we just get rid of Dominions?

How bad is the grind? Are we still loathing Dominions? Because the more I talk about it, the more I listen to people about it, the more I just want to blow the whole Dominion system away in favor of more entertaining and fun concepts like Junctions.

Honestly dominions are nice..."cool down" threads for me after invasions, skirmishes, and the like. Even though they can feel a bit grindy at times, that usually only happens for me after like a solid year of nothing but dominions. I would hate to see them go as they provide a decent, stable foundation for a major factions to grow and they are also an environment where I can write without pressure, aka not having to deal with the anxiety of knowing that my story is gonna be judged. I can write how I please and that's relaxing to me.

I think the recent change where dominions no longer need to be judged is a positive one, as that gives them something over Populate threads, as well, basically a reason for faction owners to continue making them.

I think it depends. Sometimes, they definitively do feel like a grind. But I've had more positive experiences with them, than negative. Dominions are a great vehicle for moving character development forward. To use an example, Rexus Wenck Rexus Wenck , a character of mine, had some of his best adventures in dominions. And evolved from a mere stormtrooper NPC, to a penal battalion officer, then pride of the First Order, and then special forces operator. It was a great time, and some of my favourite character moments have spawned from them, like the death of RIP Carlyle Rausgeber RIP Carlyle Rausgeber (x)

Dominions I think, are only grindy so long as there is a lack of planning behind them. If there aren't any captivating story hooks, then they're not worth pursuing. And that is an issue for faction creatives, rather than the rules and format of dominions themselves. Sure, it might seem trite, the same few characters meeting at the frontier of a burgeoning Major's border, but it's still got a benefit to it.

Voyana

V
The grindiness of dominions is 100% a reflection on current staff effort / mindset / skill level to write independently.

I say this fully humble to the fact that my tired butt has tossed out grindy things in the past. Those that are feeling the grind gotta check themselves and step up with a story.

Likewise, a new system would also bring back those that are burned out (for a time). So

It's not Chaos, its us. But oo shinny things.

You're making me nostalgic for when I and another writer completed a Dom for a faction we were in just by writing 20 posts of romance. Gross.

But yeah. What everyone else has said. The grindiness comes from writers who don't know what to write about, usually because they don't have enough to work with as far as objectives. You can do just about any story you want in a Dom, it's pretty freeform - but too much freedom isn't conducive to creativity. You'll just wind up feeling lost and not really motivated to come up with a story.

Maybe this is actually an argument in favor of ditching Doms in favor of something more specific, but idk. Some factions thrive on the freeform stuff, while others need a clear goal to work towards or they just sit there spinning their wheels.

I find Doms a fickle thing, I have been in doms that are extremely grindy and take ages to get done. Yet have been in other Doms that get finished in days before people even notice the exist. Though as of late I have seen a bit of a slow down on them over all. I thought maybe the oblivion event was way to test a shorter 30 post dom over the standard 50. I honestly think it might do better with the shorter format over all, I mean you could try that out before demolishing the whole thing?

In the past I've enjoyed Dominions. I find they can be helpful with introducing newer characters to factions and establishing them via the stories. That said I also acknowledge that the grind is real, especially for factions with less active members.

Vrun Ryssic

V
I've always been fond of Dominions personally.

For new members looking to find themselves situated within any Major Faction, Dominions are probably one of the easiest ways to come in and meet the members of their respective/chosen Factions. This could be countered or argued of course by saying that it's a Faction Admin's responsibility to usher new members into the fold, yet there's something simple about jumping into a Dominion with a set few objectives and story already laid out to get involved in.

Completing dominions also give factions a sense of achievement, much in the same sense as Invasions yet without the stress. They tend to be easier going and providing the story setting is appealing to the members of the Faction involved, they can be finished rather quickly if people really fall in line with the narrative. Not only can Faction Narratives be carried out within these threads, but so too can personal arcs and character dev be found through Dominions.

Looking over the history of a Major Factions Doms can instil a sense of pride in the writers, making them feel like more of an influential part of their respective Factions, making an impact while carrying out their individual/faction stories.

I personally wouldn't want to see Dominions removed entirely. Yes, they can seem like a grind if a Major Faction repeatedly runs one dominion after another, speed doms or fails to provide a captivating story setting, but I don't believe these are issues with the system we have, as opposed to a lack of appeal in the content that's provided within individual dominions (those that have felt like a grind in the past).

How bad is the grind? Are we still loathing Dominions? Because the more I talk about it, the more I listen to people about it, the more I just want to blow the whole Dominion system away in favor of more entertaining and fun concepts like Junctions.

I lean towards "No." However I'd like to see an alternative to Dominions for faction to grow outside of Invasions and populate threads before I truly have an opinion.

Dominions can be fun, and should be fun. They should be a way for a faction to tell its' story and expand, not a grind. Being the #1 largest faction isn't important. Making a story is.

I don't think Dominions are that grindy anyways, even if you're doing them all the time. They tell stories. Maybe you invade ICly, or maybe you scheme, and find a way to make the planet(s) on the hex join you diplomatically. An example with my own faction, The Elysium Empire. I've started a thread that I intend to have a "Part two" when we go major. Essentially The King gathered all the corporate people of The Empire and is conducting a meeting with the owner of Sluis Van shipyards. Part two will be a followup when we go major, either the shipyard owner will back out of the contract, or we'll be renegotiating a deal, or maybe just continuing the current negotiations, depending on how well they go.

My writers seem to enjoy the plot, several have said so, and I personally really like it. It's telling a story, it's enjoyable, and when we go major it will be continued into a dominion. No grind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom