Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question should we get rid of divs?

should we get rid of divs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fashion changes so quickly these days that I don't even try to keep up.

Cursor changes. Cool pic but many times it means I can't see where my cursor is actually pointing. If I have to click links in the post and can't see that, I am very likely to just skip the post entirely.

Cursor change is one of my biggest peeves. It's hard enough to read normal stuff let alone when I can't use my cursor to make sure I don't get lost in rhe word haze.

banning divs would free people from writing more paragraphs than they need to just to fill up the thing so the div doesn’t look weird so BLOW THEM UP free the one liners

jk do whatever seems like things have resolvedish here good chat guys :)

Maybe an accessibility option to toggle div coding on/off? That way those who like divs can keep ‘em, and those who dislike them or have trouble reading post content can get what they need, too.

Ofc I have no idea how difficult this would be for staff to implement, just a thought.

Azalus Waba

A Dangerous Wish
I enjoy the divs. As stated most of them are well done. I think that if certain things being included hurt site functions that should be listed as restrictions. I tend to stick to faction divs or just simple frames. But have also used text/background colors that were very obviously hard to read. Anything that is questionable I ask those that I am writing with and I don't have any problem with making changes.

That said if you are making elaborate divs for only your enjoyment you pretty much risk people skipping your posts if they are hard on the eyes or difficult to read. The mentioned cursor change always also freaks me out, and I generally skim through those posts very quickly so that my pointer gets back to normal.

The pot can still call the kettle black.

But on the topic of Divs, I like them. It helps me keep my writing organised plus from the RP background I come from, if you didn't have code for your posts, you were kinda looked down upon so it's just kinda a force of habit for me to feel like I need to use divs.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Lmao people out here actually changing the cursor icon on their posts but IM THE CRAZY ONE

were-all-mad-here-bored.gif

Maybe an accessibility option to toggle div coding on/off? That way those who like divs can keep ‘em, and those who dislike them or have trouble reading post content can get what they need, too.

Ofc I have no idea how difficult this would be for staff to implement, just a thought.

This is ideal but I have not found a solution for this yet. The only solution I’m aware of so far is how to poof 2.0, aka remove divs and strip the coding entirely from the website so there’s no leftover mess.

I only learn how to do this so I can threaten nervous spam artists in these discussions that its possible, with very little effort on my part, to maximize current reeee’s.

But I agree this is preferable. It’s just difficult because the php is parsing text, so even if I achieved it, currently the method would leave you seeing the ugly [div=blahblahhahahschangedurcursorgreenalsoimlaggingtefkaswebsiteforlulzalsoihavenoideawhatimdoinghaha

if you didn't have code for your posts, you were kinda looked down upon

Thank you for saying the quiet part out loud

Lets yank on this thread

What do you think when a new member encounters this?

Do you think they are more or less likely to join? Cool post art, I like the freedom of expression.

Or huge barrier to entry, I don’t wanna put in that much work, but I’ll be looked down upon even if only quietly if I dont put in the div effort.

Genuinely asking, and please nobody say “I HAVE NO PROBLEM CAUSE I DONT CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK”, you are not the majority and you are not real.

Azalus Waba

A Dangerous Wish
I agree that I would not have even tried to learn what little I know for divs if it was not in other posts. So I guess if it was gone it would not be the end of the world. That said if you see pretty posts and feel the desire to make your posts more pretty as well there are sources on Chaos that make simple, divs possible. And as was stated several factions have basic divs for posts that can be used. If you don't feel like you can post because you don't know or want to devote the time to adding divs I think you're a little thin skinned honestly.

If divs were beyond my level I would still write here. There are plenty of writers who don't use them and I don't think any less of them. The reason for doing this is the fun stories not the pretty divs that they may or may not be written on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom