Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question should we get rid of divs?

should we get rid of divs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
The site rped for years without them so it isn't like it would be a drastic change to see them go away. I don't use them honestly because too lazy to experiment with them... but some do and that is great. It adds a little sometimes.

BUt they could go the way of the vault and it wouldn't really change much.

I refer you to exhibit A where Amara confirms she literally would not tell you to wipe a booger if it was spidermanning from one of ur nostrils to the other one
One person responding to a half-joke question is hardly a great way to represent the entire community. Not long ago, people asked Lily Decoria Lily Decoria to edit her div because it was a really bright, white background andd they had no issue trying to work out something new.

Or when Jem Fossk Jem Fossk asked Braze Braze to tone down gifs in our recent Eshan dominion, and Braze had no problem doing so.

So there are also examples of it being handled just fine.

I think a more "dangerous" decision is allowing the few terrible divs to decide what things will be like for everybody else. And even if a div sucks, nobody is going to be affected all that negatively either. It's just a background.

you can easily talk to the writers, it already happens and if you deal with someone unwilling to change a terrible div, they probably aren't that fun of a person to write with in the first place.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Selfishly, i wish u were right but you should really click on more threads than ur own, we got some Div fanatics

I do, I just don't look at the DIV and equate that to the quality of the post.

And I always click on your community questions like this cause you do ask for opinions and listen to the feedback not just the answers that you want.

Thats what i recommend we do in the OP, i just place the burden on the community to self-police rather than assuming “you should” = Staff
I agree with it, and I've seen it happen several times recently. My two examples were all in the last few months.

But it just doesn't come up much because the vast majority of divs seem to be perfectly fine. I write a lot and with tons of different people, and rarely feel a div is the problem in a thread.

One person responding to a half-joke question is hardly a great way to represent the entire community.

But on a broader view take, I actually think this is a great representation of the community, bc I have to make assumptions. Bc in the like react currency of this community, people aren’t true and real or dont care enough, its not a big deal, etc.

Amara’s #boogergate is pretty real, and I assume held by most people here. If I had a boogie holding my nostrils together like Henry Cavill held the Netflix Witcher franchise, I would rightfully assume it would be a significant period of time until someone said anything- if at all.

And I always click on your community questions like this cause you do ask for opinions and listen to the feedback not just the answers that you want.

Its also fun to poke the fragility of mindsets concerning things like backgrounds behind fonts. But its also about raising awareness.

People dont look at divs and wonder what a new member might think upon joining. “Oh, crappy divs in private threads dont matter.”

They do if a guest is viewing the thread and is turned off to Chaos bc of it.

I just don't feel any of the concerns are so serious that something drastic needs to happen. Just about every new person who joins the site asks about how we make those fancy profiles and posts because there is a lot of appeal in having good aesthetic.

On another note, I also recall you bringing up how removing them now would mess up a lot of old posts that were made with divs etc. I feel like it's a way bigger headache than just dealing with the actual problematic divs.

And there are very few of them.

Tefka Tefka
What resolution (tbh file size is a bigger difference, but let's go with resolution for an easier means of making some ground rules) is the threshold for "too big"? You mention 4k in your OP, but is there a resolution below that where it's already unreasonable?

Gif backgrounds & borders, I'm going to assume, are also something people should not be doing for load-time reasons.

And text color w/ background color - white on red really isn't the best example you could come up with.. considering a ton of IRL labels and brands use that same color combination.. but sure, just tell people to avoid extremely uncomfortable color combinations. Maybe come up with a few colors that should never be put together (in terms of font color + background color).

Maybe they’re not serious, maybe they are, maybe you’re outing yourself as a div addict and this was all an elaborate intervention because we’re worried about you Valery Noble Valery Noble
I like good aesthetic, sure. I don't experiment with divs though.

I just hate the idea of a few people ruining something for a far bigger group that behaves and makes divs that work well and look good.

I got some pretty bad dyslexia and I'm color blind. There are divs I can't read because of the colots and such. The text either blends in or people think italicized posts are a fun thing to do. There's even been someone who decided to italicize every other sentence like a madman.

I've told people this. Most are fine with changing. Others don't care. There's no rules so they don't have to. If the choice is between keep or don't, I say don't.

Otherwise just make a rule or something that standarizes it or w/e. Sigs were limited down because people kept making stupidly long sigs, not outright removed.

If the site lags to load your div, it personally pisses me off to the point of raging nasal cliffhangers Hailyn Hailyn
ok but people have varying internet speeds, to the extent that someone's internet might be slow enough that the div loading might seem "normal" in comparison, or might be fast enough that the image loading really isn't an issue in the first place. People don't generally count the second(s) it takes to load a webpage on a site that is mostly text, and there's really no way for someone to gauge how much an image (or images I guess) contribute to that load time.

Before you placed the hard limit/cutoff on signature heights we had a guideline for image size for pretty much the same reason (aside from the eyesore of a 600+px signature height) and it would be super helpful to have something to go off of in order to make sure people don't get irritated at everyone having different ideas of what is too large in mind.

If it's not something you're willing to really figure out, in terms of what is actually the limit in terms of taxing the site loading, then just give us an arbitrary dimension (or just no background images in divs, idk, I can live with that). I don't think I've ever encountered a border image in a div that was larger, in terms of the image resolution from the source URL, than maybe 360x360 so I don't think that would actually tax the loading times on the site, but I also have zero knowledge of web design and have no way to know if they do or not.

Last edited:
People don't generally count the second(s) it takes to load a webpage on a site that is mostly text, and there's really no way for someone to gauge how much an image (or images I guess) contribute to that load time.

Maybe not generally, but I do. I also know that yindex ratings and pagespeed affect google results. If I am making the complaint, it is legitimate.

Most issues are related to css decisions and which browser you’re using. Our site is optimized as kark. If its lazyloaded and cached, even the slowest of speeds will serve you well, because the browser has all the information it already needs.

I have, and could demonstrate again, these concepts simply by changing the opaqueness of certain elements on the website. All of you would be lagged tf out.

ya'll the type of people to feel embarrassed to tell a guy he's got a booger hanging out his nose

Fashion changes so quickly these days that I don't even try to keep up.

I think a good actual productive result of this discussion is providing a guideline of what isn’t acceptable in divs.

Cursor changes. Cool pic but many times it means I can't see where my cursor is actually pointing. If I have to click links in the post and can't see that, I am very likely to just skip the post entirely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom