Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I...

• Thread starter The Traveling Wanderer
  • Start date

The Traveling Wanderer

T
Ok, but I don't' know any factions that would suit my character though

You don't have to be in charge.

You don't have to follow.

You don't have to join a faction.

You are here to roleplay. You did not join this board to see 'if you're a good leader' or to find factions you think your character would fit into. You came here to write collaborative story, the rest is just sweating the small stuff. If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.

In this case, that answer is 'no'.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Start small; make friends, gain allies, get things done. Then eventually down the road you can still ask yourself this question again and assess if you are ready. You'll know the board better by then and likewise others will know your character.

Also, take it from me - it's a lot more hell than it sounds trying to lead a growing faction!

Dirk Ellerden

D
Alachei Mnemenos said:
Start small; make friends, gain allies, get things done. Then eventually down the road you can still ask yourself this question again and assess if you are ready. You'll know the board better by then and likewise others will know your character.

Also, take it from me - it's a lot more hell than it sounds trying to lead a growing faction!
This is absolutely right. I skipped the first steps which is why the Sector Rangers faction is essentially nonexistent.

Christian Slade

In Darkness I Thrive
You should only think about creating a faction if you have a grand idea that you think would hold the interest of others that might have common goals.

It's not going to do anything but flounder if it's not based on a good idea, though, and if you don't have a few interested people involved from the start, don't even try. I'm not in a faction, and I actually prefer it. Suits my character better. He's a bit of a loner, but because of my characters dealings in the galaxy and experience as a Master of the force, I've already attracted a few writers who have taken an interest in me and we've begun writing up a storm.

Just... start a thread. See who joins.

To think I would see the day when I would see eye to eye with Sarge. But the man is right (as much as I hate to admit it :) ) don't sweat the small stuff. Have fun, develop the character, then think about making a faction.

I love how we openly promote the concept of free factions that any member can create, then tell them it's a horrible idea to do so and they'd be better off not doing it unless the idea is good.

Considering I run a minor faction, and I'm doing it both for OOC fandom love and IC goals, I say make a minor faction. Just be careful what you base it on, and allow it to grow as you make it.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Chupa La'Roi said:
I love how we openly promote the concept of free factions that any member can create, then tell them it's a horrible idea to do so and they'd be better off not doing it unless the idea is good.

Considering I run a minor faction, and I'm doing it both for OOC fandom love and IC goals, I say make a minor faction. Just be careful what you base it on, and allow it to grow as you make it.
I don't think the point is that the idea has to be great for it to be a good faction, I think the idea is that people are simply drawn to catchy, new things that they either haven't seen done before or get to do with a neat twist. If people can't be on-board with a member's or faction's ideas, then the faction won't have many, if any, members to drive it's success. That is why, as I stated before, it's good to first get out there and meet other characters. Do new jobs. Gain a reputation IC and even OOC. When people finally know who you are, what you want and how far you're gonna go to get it, they will feel more inclined to check it out! For instance, I rushed with the Mnenchei Dominion because I really wanted to participate in the Valen war. Now, I'm bombarded with diplomacy missions, OOC tasks to flesh out the faction more and almost no faction-related threads currently running. Now, had I waited a bit longer, much of those plots would already have an IC foundation and more people might be willing to help me flesh out the group.

Basically, it's part vote of confidence and part learning your limits. A faction can have a great idea and strained leadership, or vice versé, and still struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom