Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should a system be in place for Companies to lose tier levels?

Should a system be in place for Companies to lose tier levels?

• Yes

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
In principle, yes. In practice, 90% of possible mechanisms would be horrible.

I could potentially dig something like the faction recall notice mechanism.

• Raids happen, major things happen, or someone just says 'hey look, this company's been tier X for Y years, hasn't sold to anyone, and is just a big checkbook for its owner.'
  • An FJ or RPJ or Factory Admin issues, publicly or privately (I'd prefer publicly), a question to the company's owner.
  • The owner provides threads or submissions proving that work's been done. If there's been major events, major work's required.
  • If the response is weak, company drops a tier. Maybe there's a two-week get-your-crap-together period with a defined number of contracts and products.
  • Company loses a tier or keeps it.
Each step, though, gives rise to a host of questions about fairness, consistency, finicky supporting rules, judge discretion, edge cases...

There's a 10% chance something like this could find a really good form. There's a 90% chance that the form it takes would be awful and pointless. So me, I'd tread lightly.

As Breako stated, I'd have to see the system before I could give my approval of it (not that it's needed for these purposes, just general looking for interest). I'm of a mind that if it's not broken, don't fix it, and I can't really perceive the system in a poor enough state to warrant the extra work it would take to put this in place.

There are a lot of companies out there, there aren't that many major factions. I appreciate the comparison to major factions, but I don't really think it's proper.

Initially I was going to say yes. But then I remembered what happened when Subach Innes was hit hard and there was lawsuits and other things. And I got bitched at so hard by people because of reduction in tier level that I left the board because of it. So the amount of drama compared to the amount of benefit you have to me doesn't seem work it. Especially because when you codify it into rules you invite more action. In a worse case scenario I picture a world where people are reporting incidents and overwhelming the factory who have nothing to do with events taking place and suddenly you have more work for the staff, more drama in the OOC and less emphasis on good story. The reason I've stuck to company stuff is there isn't a ton of competition compared to major factions which because of the invasion mechanic has become competitive. I'd rather something stay a bit more casual and chill.

Ronan Nakasla

R
I think yes, though I suspect that criteria in my mind are things that already exist. Being on the wrong end of corporate espionage, being blacklisted by governments, having assets destroyed, competition choking out your business, or just going inactive for a long enough time. Realistic reasons why a company would go under, or lose momentum.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
Id have to say it's up to the owners choice, not someone else's. A company is not like a fraction as some people are relating that major fractions can drop. A fraction is many people together to contribute. More than often a company is one person and that person worked hard to get that company to where it is. Some of us that are hitting tire advancements know it is hard and set backs can happen like a thread dying or unable to get the support to advance.

So all in all I'd say if someone wants it to happen then that is their choice. Not somebody else's.

Whilst a nice idea in theory this is difficult to monitor and harder to enforce. Since a person is hardly going to volunteer their own demotion you'd be relying on people reporting it.
I hardly need tell you that this is not the basis for a fair system.

giphy.gif

Hira Mitsae

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
My initial - some might say instinctive response - was a resounding no. This instinct was first and foremost about protecting my own interest in the form of my companies, I have bouts of inactivity and bouts where I simply don't have the muse to roleplay my corporations; I felt like this sort of system would have endangered my 'work' on them. But now I have had some more time to think about this matter and I might just have come up with something that could be interesting to everyone.

First and foremost we have to acknowledge that we cannot really compare major factions to companies. The more obvious things as 'map space' and the lack of multitudes of writers supporting the organization come to mind, but inherently... a Major faction does not belong to a single person.

They are micro-communities on their own with their own people supporting them. And when you apply for major factionship you acknowledge that there will always be the opportunity for other factions and organizations to attack you - this inherently seperates major factions from minor factions and companies.

So I'd sooner equate companies to minor factions, which have no claim to the map and often have less people backing it.

Establishing all of that... I can see two sides to the coin. Competition breeds more activity and that is a good thing for Chaos, but people (like me) don't want their stuff be wrecked, they don't always want to be competitive. As [member="Damian Starchaser"] has stated... for some companies are a viable avenue to get away from the competitive nature of major factions.

That brings me to the following idea.

Keeping in mind that is it really difficult to track all hostile actions against companies, so it would only mean additional load to the RPJs to handle this case-by-case... why don't we handle this a different way. Why don't we implement a system where 'big' corporations can lay claim to a single planet (or more) and be effectively put on the map -- maybe have it be exclusive to T6+ or even add an additional T7 that has the specific extra feature that they have enough clout to stake a claim on a system.

This way people can have their corporate war, but the corporate players will have a choice to opt in or out. Furthermore, the company owners won't be at risk of losing everything, more so losing only a single tier if they get wiped off the map.

TL;DR Proposal: T6+ Corporations can claim a world on the map, corporate wars can happen, optional. Fits with the established systems and mechanics. Allows for a new avenue of writing. Also fits with star wars canon.

Just an idea though. Suggestions, proposals, additions, editions, anyone?

I too will add my voice in that while I like the idea in concept, I think that realistically the disadvantages, extra work for staff, and drama of such a system will outweigh any of its benefits.

What about a safety net of sorts? Your company has to be of large enough size before things like raids can pull it down? Say if you're T3, you're safe. T3s, after all, are the largest a company needs to be to make sure they can make anything (as far as the rules go, not necessarily in the Amazon-sense of everything) This also means that it's not possible to destroy a company unless they agree to it.

I agree with [member="Ayden Cater"], there has to be a cut off for it. Realistically, to cut down on administrative work there should be a minimum cap.

I'd suggest tier 5 because realistically there's not that many of them.

How much extra work is it to, say once everyone month or two, go over the Tier IV and greater companies and ensure the Major Factions they have contracts with are still around and active?

All this stuff with raids, loss, planetary ownership. Focus on activity first in Tier loss, not new IC game mechanics that might not be fleshed out.

I voted no because this may discourage writers from writing purely business-focused characters. If Chaos is trying to parallel the real world to some extent, it's arguable that small businesses are more likely to go under than larger behemoths.

But maybe there is a workable system for hostile takeovers once your company reaches a certain Tier.

Why not propose that this may be possible only if the company is tier IV and above? There are way too many tier III's, II's, and I's to keep track of, but there's far less active tier IV's. We could even go as far as to say only tier V's, but I feel tier IV's are just as competitive, if not more, at their stage of growth.

[member="Cira"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom