Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech SG-1012 "Waveform" Starfighter Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
force_fields_by_justravelin.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Jaeger Solutions
  • Model: SG-1012 "Waveform" Starfighter Shield
  • Affiliation: Open-Market
  • Modularity: No.
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Duraplast │ Shield Generators │ Advanced Projectors │ Feedback Systems
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Fast Regeneration
  • Multiplied Durability (Depending On Shields Present)
  • Feedback Energy Charge
Strengths:
  • En Masse -
    • To compensate for relatively low powered shields by themselves, the so dubbed 'Waveform' Class shield is capable of muliplying its durability by keeping close range to its fellow ships. In proper formation, and high numbers, the shield is capable of standing on par with even heavy shields, or outperforming if the conditions are right. The range on this does have a limit of 500m, so anything outside of said projection will begin to fail; and it is only applicable to other ships flying the same class generator.

This does max out at seven fighters at once, effectively creating a heavy shield on an otherwise small form factor. This shield is then on par with shields three, or four times in size, and capable of stopping serious firepower should it ever come in contact with it. Any less than four however, and the shields purpose is null; creating a light shield that'll falter under minor blaster fire.
  • Why Are You Hitting Yourself?
    • As per custom, Jaeger Solutions once again moved to release a shield that not only was off the wall in function, but completely violent in application. Adding in a feedback system for energy based weapons allowed for short range responses with immediate effect against those who shot first. Who needs a tail gunner when your shields shoot back?
Weaknesses:
  • Picky Helper -
    • Without another 'Waveform', there is no additional shielding offered. This makes the system nearly useless without a number of backup shield generators running support for the first, lest you make a completely useless 'light shield' for a singular fighter. Some might say Jaeger did this for increased sales, others claim it was technological limitations. The galaxy may never know.
  • Die Alone -
    • Should a fighter equipped with the 'Waveform' ever fall from grace, and its squadron, the shields would lose all formability they once had. Without the backups, the numerous redunances through its allies, the ship would be worthless in the grand scheme of the fight, and offer no protection for its would-be-pilot. A simply counter is to break formations of the enemy vessels, and simply adapt to their otherwise situational shielding.
  • Size Restricted -
    • The shield is only able to be put on ships 50m or smaller due to the limitations of its projectors. Regardless, putting it on anything larger wouldn't allow for proper effect, and would be useless to attempt to stack multiple projects on the same ship.
DESCRIPTION

Today Jaeger Solutions releases yet another innovative product to the galactic market. Not the traditional shields of old where redundancies were the name of the game, but now something that requires no such thing. A shield who works on a piggy back system, lifting each other up with each recurring instance; effectively creating a heavy shield on the backs of the many instead of the one. The SG-1012 ‘Waveform’ Starfighter Shield is the answer to singular shields of old, introducing a shield for the tactile and elite.
With squadrons tactics in mind, the ‘Waveform’ plays into the prowess of the expert captain. Keep a tight formation, and your ships will see themselves outfitted with an extremely powerful shield, but let your ships loosen up and you’ll face destruction with a moderately powered piece of space junk. Any ship within 500m of the original projector would see a faint increase in their own power reserves, while others too would repeat this process in reverse, forcing every round one takes to disperse not over one shield projector but the many. Ships no longer have to worry about being shot, so much as where they are in the battlefield.
To add to this, when the shields achieve a ‘critical durability’ they begin to charge a feedback loop. Instead of dispersing the energy to the others in such a miniscule manner, they let the energy charge back off and directly back at the original target with a minor ‘targeting’ system built in to better allow for quick responses. With only a tested 14% in dropped feedback power of a standard turbolaser bolt, there is a scaleable limit up to a heavy blaster cannon response; but not further due to the limitations of the feedback system itself.
That is not to say however that these shields are not just situational, as the training to utilize them is intense for any human pilot. In addition, they see no gains from being just a ‘support shield’ for heavier versions, being only compatible with shields of the same designation. Suffice to say, the shield suffers from corporate standings more than it does combat wise; along with technological limitations forcing it reside on only the smaller ships in the galaxy.

Last edited:

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Another neat design, but before we continue, there are two things that need to be addressed.

Firstly, there needs to be an upper limit to how many times this thing can stack. 500 meters is a lot of space, and you can fit a lot of fighters in that space. Given the nature and inevitability of arms races on Chaos, I would only be faintly surprised to see blobs of fighters lassoed together, zipping around the battlefield with near impunity, taking down Star Destroyers by getting shot at. If that sounds ridiculous, well, I once watched a guy try to use a bicycle kick in a duel.

That leads us to the second point: your energy feedback system is vaguely worded and ripe for abuse from unscrupulous types. I know you said the return on a turbolaser bolt had a 14% drop in power, but then you went on to say that there's no telling what kind of force it could kick back towards the shooter. I'm mildly uncomfortable with the idea of even a squadron of fighters pumping out near-turbolaser powered bolts, but the idea that this thing could tank a hit from one of the many Not A Superlaser But Still A Super Laser weapons running around and then throw back a near equivalent blast is a bit worrisome.

If you want to have it spit out something equivalent in power to a starfighter's blaster cannon, I'm perfectly fine with that, but not with scalable output. Also, you'll need to define exactly when it reaches "critical durability."

[member="The Slave"]

Rusty said:
Firstly, there needs to be an upper limit to how many times this thing can stack. 500 meters is a lot of space, and you can fit a lot of fighters in that space. Given the nature and inevitability of arms races on Chaos, I would only be faintly surprised to see blobs of fighters lassoed together, zipping around the battlefield with near impunity, taking down Star Destroyers by getting shot at. If that sounds ridiculous, well, I once watched a guy try to use a bicycle kick in a duel.
Sure, what kind of wording would you prefer? I understand mine is relatively vague, but I certainly had no intentions of this becoming a corvette level quadruple redundant shield in the matter of moments just because you repulse stuck a bunch of mini fighters together. My end goal for it is to be better than most shields its size (when used properly) at the cost of defined and predictable squadrons due to its drawback of range.

As far as the critical durability, that's just the first point. So, once we have that worked out, the rest will be alright.

@Rusty

Rusty

Sorry for the delay. Wasn't anything you did, I got caught up in NaNoWriMo stuff. Kinda forgot Chaos existed for a couple of days.

I'm not worried about what you intended so much as what would happen if some of the more, shall we say, creative members of our community got ahold of the thing.

So, for the best combination of flexibility and protection, I'm thinking this would work best with individual flights. That'll typically cover 4-6 craft, depending on how many are in the squadron. Any more than that and you lose the advantages of having interceptors in the first place. Any less and that defeats the purpose of the shield altogether. A flight will be expected to work together in close proximity with a high degree of coordination anyway, so it would stand to reason that they would be able to make use of the technology without undue difficulty.

[member="The Slave"]

Rusty

The Slave said:
With only a tested 14% in dropped feedback power of a standard turbolaser bolt, there is a scaleable limit up to a heavy turbolaser response; but not further due to the limitations of the feedback system itself.
The scalability was one of the sticking points. I'm willing to grant that more energy in equals more energy out, but a heavy turbolaser is entirely too much. Coming from starfighters, even ones working in formation, a light turbolaser would be too much. Heavy blaster cannon, sure. Turbolaser, no.

[member="The Slave"]

The Slave said:
Any ship within 500m of the original projector would see a faint increase in their own power reserves, while others too would repeat this process in reverse, forcing every round one takes to disperse not over one shield projector but the many. Ships no longer have to worry about being shot, so much as where they are in the battlefield.

The Slave said:
This does max out at seven fighters at once, effectively creating a heavy shield on an otherwise small form factor.
These appears to contradict each other.

[member="Nadja"]

How it works is like this;

Each shield works as an transmitter and reciever. It can at most recieve the 'signal' from 7 other ships, and transmit to 7 other ships within 500 meters. This applies to every ship, so each must have 7 ships within 500 meters within their range to actually be maximum capacity shields. It doesn't cover everything in 500 meters, only those 7 ships it transmits to and receives from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom