Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

September/October Codex Spotlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been two months since the first Codex Spotlight and we've seen a lot of really awesome submissions roll through Codex since then. For those of you unfamiliar with the Spotlight, it's a bi-monthly posting of some of our favorite submissions to shine a light on all the creative things your fellow forum members are creating. Submissions highlighted here stand out for numerous reasons: the amount of effort and detail put into their creation, the ability of the submitter to work with the CJ to make adjustments and changes, aesthetics and how nice the presentation is, and above all: the amount of flavor it adds to the story of Chaos.

Without further ado...

Planets

Kiara
by [member="Kaili Talith"]
"One word easily describes this submission: Beautiful. It's quite possibly one of the best planet submissions i've seen in a long while. The great use of graphics for each section paints an excellent image for what your looking at and if thats not enough, the descriptions paint an even better picture. The submission was no doubt crafted by a delicate hand that worked hard on every area, nothing was skipped over or vague, you can see the writers passion come out here." ~ Darth Prazutis

"This is probably one of the most beautiful planet submissions I've seen on the site. The usage of artwork to delineate the sections of the submission not only provide clear division, but offer a glimpse into the world as well. The duology of their usage is masterful. What really sets the bar high with the planet submission is the work put into it. No section seems to have been glossed over. Everything is written in expansive detail. The numerous major locations are detailed well enough that it would be easy to take the detailed work put into them and create a location submission for each with little extra work. What I personally enjoyed the most, aside from the art, was the depth put into the worlds culture. Breaking everything down into sections, arts, government, sport, religion and so on, was just beautifully done. It's a very solid submission." ~ Darth Ignus

Levasseur
by [member="Jamie Pyne"]
"...tons of culture, legal spice trade, a decent aristocracy, warrior culture. Lots of stuff going on here, and a lot of room as a roleplay setting." ~ Rekali the Hutt

Realm of the Resu
Technically an historical submission but recently revamped and updated by [member="Fatty"]
"Probably one of the most detailed submissions we've seen in the Sept/Oct period, this massive submission might have seen approval with less then half the existent content included. A lot of work was needed to make it just right, and in that respect, it could easily have lost out to one of those submissions which hit all the right buttons first time. That noted, it takes a lot of time, effort and skill to get a good submission right, and this one achieved that, while providing something comprehensive and detailed, such that any writer planning to use in the future has a true well of information to draw upon. That alone makes it remarkable." ~ Tirdarius

SPECIES

Dolphinarian
by [member="Tyluko Dubykee"]
"I've chosen this submission as outstanding for two reasons: firstly, it's been carefully crafted by a member completely new to our site, with a lot of time, effort and energy put into both the original submission and the edits; secondly, because there were a lot of changes that needed making, something which would put off a lot of experienced writers. The member chose to pay careful attention to feedback given and, rather than being dismayed or rejected, spent the time and effort needed to make it right, ultimately seeing the submission approved." ~ Tirdarius

Livytitan
by [member="Zofia Marek"]
"I feel this is an outstanding submission for many reasons: it's creativity, detail and practicality, to name a few. The species itself is very unique, and well thought-out, and brings something new to an otherwise empty area. The whole submission is very detailed in all the different pieces of information concerning the humongous beasts, and really brings them to life. The large history of the species is rich and flavoured, and fits in with the galaxy as a whole, seeming believable and well placed. I also feel that the basic idea of the whole submission is an interesting one, and the species itself suits the role perfectly." ~ Werah Unon

Tyuksleen
by [member="Velok the Younger"]
"When it comes to species I think it can be hard to be unique while providing adequate weaknesses to make a species believable. In the case of the Tyuksleen, Velok has crafted a creature based on two existing ones with their own great advantages, but given them weaknesses to the point they almost seem worthless, and yet you know by looking at them that they aren't. The usage of numerous threads, and crafting the idea for the creature based on ideas that come up in RP, rather than just wanting to make something, is unique and well thought out. Add in the fact that they actually consume the Force, which I honestly didn't know creatures did until I read this submission, and you've got something unique here. The submission is also really well written, and there's a clear articulation of what's going on." ~ Darth Ignus

Nezumi
by [member="Irajah Ven"]
"Lots of culture, lots of wonderfully used gifs and images, just overall a lot of heart and work into this submission. Plus they're utterly adorable. Everything is well thought out, differing cultures/races are put in, careful balance in strength/weaknesses. Just a wonderful submission." ~ Rekali the Hutt

Morossian Resu
by [member="Fatty"]
"Unique and highly reasonable. Fatty takes a step into the realm of the unorthodox with this creative and very original submission design. An expansion of the lore of the Resu species this app is very well done, highly balanced, and is one of the most creative and even unusual species continuing with the theme of the Resu." ~ Darth Prazutis

LOCATIONS

The Cerulean Mines
by [member="Tai Fa"]
"Both mysterious and deadly, Tai Fa brings to the table a brilliantly designed submission that gives the reader chills the farther they get. A mysterious mine littered with the dead gives the vibe that something dark and unsettling has happened here in ages past. The submission is well worded and creative especially with the unique addition of the slumbering Leviathan of Corbos. It's truly a lair of terror and god save those who try to take it from him." ~ Darth Prazutis

The Tomb of Keljek (Iliabath)
By Velok the Younger
"Decidedly minor Force Nexus that is an interesting set piece, a Sith Tomb with possibilities but not a source of +5 Sith Loot or +7 Force Power. I like the scale and intrigue of the submission, just enough to generate interest, show work, an set a scale for further Sith Order roleplay." ~ Rekali the Hutt

The Temple of Binaros
by [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"]
"An art I always appreciate is taking a small sub from the Wookie and fleshing it out into a full, and creative set piece. With the Temple of Binaros this writer does just that. Taking a mostly history piece this writer had taken the time to integrate it and bring it to life here in the chaos forms. They note the points of interest and repurpose them to the needs of writers that is they wished to use this as a location could do so with relative ease. The sub us also very articulate with not a lot of exaggerated facts or bloated rambling. The writer knew what that wanted and crafted it to be easy to read and detailed so any writer wishing to use it could." ~ Bryce Bantam

The Duanna Lake House
By [member="Effie Duanna"]
"This submission shows what a location submission should look like. There's an expansive description of the facility, including a nice listing of rooms, and a well articulated and thought out history. Effie even goes so far as to identify points of interest within the facility with imagery, providing a sense of the space that the visual learners among us can appreciate. I can't say anything bad about this submission. If I wanted to tell someone what a location sub looked like, this is one I'd tell them to look at for reference. Considering it was the authors first submission, I think that says a lot." ~ Darth Ignus

Chasin City, Commenor's Greatest
by [member="Riven Black"]
"This entire sub is wonderfully written, and covers a great deal very thoroughly, including the rich and diverse history. The sheer amount of detail in the sub is staggering, over 8000 words covering everything from monuments to the founding of the metropolis itself. Though it is simply expanding on a canon page, the sub itself is over 1000x more in-depth, offering a complete compendium about this famous city." ~ Werah Unon

Mystra's Echo
by [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
"This one brings back a lot of memories from the D&D era: dark underground complex, a chilling nexus of Dark Side Force energy, Dark Elves and a chilling history of blood, torment and atrocity. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, personally - there's a lot you can do with a sub like that, and since it's already found use in a long and well-written thread, I'd say it sits as a fair example of what every good Force Nexus should look like, replete with a history that very well explains why it's there." ~ Tirdarius

NPCs

Nida Vaal
by [member="Solan Charr"]
"I had a lot of trouble with this category, since there were many interesting and varied subs, but this one struck me as outstanding: it has a level of detail and characterisation that I would expect to find within a Player Character Biography, and there's plenty of care and attention that's been included here. Indeed, I've read player bios that were less detailed, and this one has been suitably well-rounded to fit a very balanced approach to writing. It serves as a good solid foundation to build upon, and that's one of the most critical things I'd look for in an NPC submission, much as would be true with a Player Character. Takes notes, people!" ~ Tirdarius

Mandalore Shop Owner Adi'vak Ioren
by [member="Dissero"]
"Not gonna lie on this one, the artwork is just gorgeous. I didn't count that in why I chose it, but man it's a really well done piece of art and that artist deserves some serious kudos. The reason I chose this submission was because of the depth of detail. When I read through this I thought I was reading someone PC biography, not a submission for an NPC. The amount of work that went into writing out the characters appearance, personality, and history lends itself more to a PC. Dissero is clearly skilled in character creation. If everyone that submitted an NPC sub looked at this submission, read it, and saw the amount of work that went into it... well, we'd have a lot of really awesome NPC's for people to interact with. I openly suggest that Dissero create NPC's for board events in the future. Just masterful work." ~ Darth Ignus

Helldiver Airborne Assault Company
by [member="Cyrus"] Tregressar
"One of the major components I look for in a unit is can I use this in my writing, can I write against someone using it. In order to do this, a unit needs to have a few things for me. First is the basic size, strength, quality components. They need to be clearly defined and as with most posts by this writer his numbers are on point. Second and most important to me is the "flavor". Does the unit have a purpose other than cannon fodder, does it have a history and details that will allow me to conceive a good story with it. One again the HellDivers not only have that but a very detailed backstory that allows them not to be just a generic set piece but a detailed story driver that can be used to craft a fun series of posts. Lastly and something not needed but highly appreciated is development. This writer not only crafted this unit once but updated it showing their commitment to the material and this unto itself is highly commendable." ~ Bryce Bantam

Noomay The Bereth-Aku
by [member="Mara D'Lessio Merrill"]
"A Master Level NPC intended as a teacher, which admittedly is not a new or abstract concept, but this submission provides excellent access to the culture of the Bereth-Aku species and their interpretation of the Force, not to mention exposure to non-traditional Force Cults. A nice new flavor of Force User to interact and learn from." ~ Rekali the Hutt

HISTORICAL SUBMISSIONS
(Pre-August 2016) presented by RPJ Judah Dashiell​

Planet : Filth
by [member="Fatty"]
"An excellent crime ridden planet that rivals Nar Shadda, all with the convenience of being out in the wilds of nowhere. Filth adds depth and character to the system, a fitting place for 'bad guys' to emerge or to plan your next move at the local watering hole. One of the best planets in terms of well written history, both planet and geological. Also one of the best on insights on how daily people live."

Species : Ropo
by [member="Soeht"]
"An adorable little species that proves you can have fun in the Codex and still make a serious sub. At the time of this submission, Ropos became mildly popular and its easy to see why. A short and sweet sub, it gives an easy and small overview of the creature. An example of keeping species subs short and to the point while providing enough information for the masses."

Locations : The Sanctuary (Dathomir)
by Aralyn Rekali
"A lost little gem and one of the best 'hidden' submission subs I have seen. The submission shows how Factory subs can easily blend with Codex submissions to create unique and interesting pieces in the Chaos universe. The submission is extremely well thought out and the images/artwork is amazing and gives a real "sense" to the place. I love how the author keeps the submission "hidden" but is not overbearing or over the top in terms of secrecy as I have seen in other subs."

NPCs : Rear-Admiral Omarest Croscal
by [member="Darth Carnifex"]
"Rarely do we see military NPCs fleshed out so well. Most are submitted for the sole purpose of having someone to command a ship during an Invasion while you're fighting on the ground.I can easily see some Admiral Thrawn comparisons in the submission and I am happy to see this NPC feels more like a person than an afterthought. Certainly in the top ten of military NPC commanders."

"Details details details. Darth Carnifex hits the bullseye with this excellently worded and well designed non player character. Rarely do we see NPC submissions particularly military officers that possess this much detail right down to his history and personal life. Nothing is skipped over or written to the bare minimum. Everything is well done and it gives one the feeling that this guy is here to stay." ~ Darth Prazutis

That's all for this Spotlight. We in the Codex commend those who were chosen this round and hope to see many more to come from all members of Chaos!

~ The Codex Team

JKxPyTZ.gif
Hey thanks! And congrats to everyone as well! [member="Kaili Talith"]'s formatting is beautiful. Totally jealous.​

Wait....

What?

Wow, I wasn't expecting this at all. Thanks for the spotlight! Glad everyone liked it enough to be considered.

It's an honor...

Long Live Commenor!

Also a great thanks to [member="Lady Kay"] for some content help and [member="Werah Unon"] for the kind words.

Yay!

*Celebrates and opens some Commenor Brandy* :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom