Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Sentinel's Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerek Morrows

A Jedi's Life is Sacrifice.
1200-29761762-amber-crystal.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: A special crystal for use by Jedi Sentinels.
Image Source: crystalbenefits.com
Canon Link: Ilum and Christophsis
Affiliation: Jerek Morrows, various other Jedi.
Model: N/A
Modularity: No.
Production: Semi-Unique
Material: Crystal

SPECIAL FEATURES

- Bonds with the Sentinel to become a perfect tool and partner.
- Enhances bearer's natural charisma and willpower.
- Offers bearer clarity and focus during various tasks.
- Affords some comfort and protection to the bearer when faced with the dark side of the Force.

Strengths:

+ Of the People: A Jedi Sentinel is one who forgoes life inside the Temple and favors jobs out among the people of the galaxy. This crystal resonates with one who has a heart for the normal people and boosts their natural charisma and willpower when dealing with others. It does this by way of a direct connection with its bearer, extending its benefits outward via their link.

+ Handyman: A Jedi Sentinel eschews focus on the Force for a more gearheaded approach to problems. Armed with knowledge of a vast spectrum of skills unrelated to the Force, this crystal offers a clear head and intense focus when performing such tasks.

+ Steadfast: Sometimes the work of a Sentinel takes them on a dangerous path, often through the long shadow cast by the Dark Side of the Force. This crystal offers an inner calm that gives the Sentinel more conviction and makes it more difficult for them to be drawn in by those foul wiles.

Weaknesses:

- Fallable: If the bearer is somehow corrupted or strays from the path of the Light, the crystal will shatter and if installed in a lightsaber, the blade will cease to function. Acts such as taking a life will trigger this reaction immediately.

-Not a conduit: The crystal enhances the individual's strengths alone, and confers no benefits to Force power or raw ability. When paired with other crystals, it robs them of those traits as well-being this means if it were paired, for example, with a crystal that enhanced the bearer's speed or made them better in combat, those attributes of that crystal would be negated. Crystal abilities that affect the properties of the blade itself, however, still function (for example, width and length, cutting power, etc.)

- Heartbreak: the Crystal bonds to its bearer in order to function as their "perfect tool" and partner, so it confers its gifts through a link. If the Sentinel acts in a way that is averse to the light and it causes the Crystal to shatter, it will cause them extreme grief and emotional trauma, intended to make them reflect on what they have done- but also, to deter them from going further down the path. The sensation is enough to render the Sentinel functionally useless for an extended amount of time.

DESCRIPTION

The Sentinel's Watch crystals were discovered in the Crystal Cave on Ilum during a routine gathering venture, at some undisclosed time. When returned to the Jedi for study, it took nearly a year to understand its nature. One of the Jedi Sentinels installed it into his blade over the course of 36 hours, only to find that it resonated with his craftsmanship and when he activated it, he felt a sense of calm.

After further study, the Sentinels became aware of its utility in social venues and during their work, making it a supplemental tool rather than a proper weapon. The crystal offered no increased damage potential or Force prowess, which made it practically useless for those who favored combat or who dabbled in the mystic arts. For a Jedi who labored long and dealt heavily with the people, however, it was a perfect fit.

The blade it created burned a yellow color, and functioned more as a partner to its bearer than a weapon for war, or a deterrent. It had all the properties of a normal lightsaber blade, of course- it just required a skilled hand to use it effectively.

The Crystal itself is an oddity, because it bonds with the Sentinel in a Unique way. As mentioned, it functions as a "partner" to its bearer- it does this by bonding with them, and effectively acting in symbiosis. The crystal demands the Sentinel be light of heart and mind, which means it refuses to be used as a tool for darkness. The Sentinel cannot take life as a hard rule, lest the Crystal shatter in refusal to comply. Its lesser demands require the Sentinel to refuse the temptations of darkness, less the Crystal crack or weaken, and inevitably shatter.

What the Jedi who found the crystal discovered was that it uniquely bonded with those who installed it in their lightsabers, offering them enhancements to what knowledge they already had. Strangely, it had no effects on its own, and even lacked a strong inherent Force Presence.

Another thing it offered, curiously, was a natural peace and even enjoyment of being allowed to interact with others. Because it was a crystal, it spent much of its life dormant and sequestered far away from human contact. The bond it shared with the bearer was a special one, not only for its uses as a tool, but also because it could now live obstensively through the bearer. Its outgoing nature and desire to interact effectively became the bearer's own, and they found themselves strangely at peace, and even in better spirits when interacting with others.

Another trait they learned of was that other crystals, ones with special Force auras and enhancements that involved the bearer's physical attributes and mastery of the Force, were nullified when in conjunction with this crystal. It allowed for such enhancements as increased the width, length, cutting power, or deftness of the blade itself, curiously.

Many of the crystals were shattered quite accidentally by Jedi who installed them and were forced during conflict to kill an opponent. Those Jedi later recounted a horrific, gutting loss not only of their lightsaber's functionality, but effectively, they felt they had lost a close friend. The bereavement was such that many of them took a lengthy amount of time to recover, and none of them wanted to attempt to use the remaining crystals.

There were, after those tests, very few left to go around.

In order to prevent such losses, the crystal also had the strange desire- which it passed on through their bond- to preserve and protect the bearer from the darkness and its temptations. The calmness it offered in times of adversity was akin to a promise- "refuse the darkness, and I will help you."

[member="Jerek Morrows"]

Hey so after a review of the submission I just wanted to get some clarification. Does the crystal give willpower and charisma outright? If so how does it do this. Or, does it merely just boost the Jedi's own willpower and charisma? And if it's the latter then if you could elaborate on that in the descrition and also be sure to add that the crystal does in the special features! Also is the crystal itself the bearer of the vast knowledge, or is it the Jedi themselves? If the crystal does have knowledge, how did it obtain it - how does that work, and be sure to mention that on the special feature as well.

Jerek Morrows said:
-Not a conduit: Unlike the myriad lightsaber crystals that hone the Force itself and increase the potential of the bearer, this weapon does the opposite. Instead of increasing the abilities of the bearer, it channels the Force to allow the bearer to perform the abilities they already have better. As such, if they are unskilled in a certain area, it would not enhance them in any way. It cannot be drawn upon to strengthen Force Powers, either.

-Difficult to install: A trademark skill of Jedi Sentinels was their ingenuity, and a task like installing this crystal is best suited to their skillset. Other sects of Jedi, such as the Guardians or Consulars, might be able to perform the feat given multiple attempts or lengthy amount of time, but their effort would most likely prove a waste of time with no benefits to their physical or spiritual prowess. That said, even a Sentinel would take considerable time to install this crystal.
This isn't a weakness, instead you have a strength which is allows the bearer to channel and perform abilities better. Then you go on to say that if they're unskilled it doesn't help them, so what I would suggest is that maybe since you're looking for it to be the opposite. Say that it bonds and can also have the user feel a little more fatigued? However you wish to reword this or change it is up to you, but know that this is not a weakness and does need to be changed.

Difficult to install is also not a weakness and needs to be changed, feel free to look at previous crystals that have been submitted to get an idea of what might work in its place.

Overall I like the concept, and once edits have been made to this please let me know so I can get another look!

Jerek Morrows

[member="Ria Misrani"]

I'm trying to find a better way to word the weakness to say what I mean, but essentially, it confers no enhancement to skills that the user does not already possess, meaning it cannot be channeled for the purpose of enhancing strength or Force usage. I suppose I could make it so that other crystals paired with it also offer no such benefits, as the crystal itself is intended for utility? How would that be?

[member="Jerek Morrows"]

What you could do, and here is a suggestion to incorporate your last statement, 'the Seninel's Watch draws on another crystal's energy therefore negating any abilities that crystal may have.' And again, be sure you add your strengths to your special features as well. As well as the notes from my last request with regards to willpower and charisma! Once this is done let me know and I'll get another look. :)

Ria Misrani said:
Hey so after a review of the submission I just wanted to get some clarification. Does the crystal give willpower and charisma outright? If so how does it do this. Or, does it merely just boost the Jedi's own willpower and charisma? And if it's the latter then if you could elaborate on that in the descrition and also be sure to add that the crystal does in the special features! Also is the crystal itself the bearer of the vast knowledge, or is it the Jedi themselves? If the crystal does have knowledge, how did it obtain it - how does that work, and be sure to mention that on the special feature as well.

Jerek Morrows

[member="Ria Misrani"]

I made some edits! Sorry I didn't respond to everything at once in my last post, I like to take things in segments so I don't get lost or confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom