Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Semi-Unique Numbers by Size

BIG Z1776

Baboon with a MAAWS
Just something I've thought up and so I'm doing the metaphorical "toss it at the wall and see if it sticks".

Semi-Unique, in terms of vehicles and ships, is pretty much accepted a dozen units correct? But is it possible that this can be further defined by size and vehicle type classes? For instance, it wouldn't make sense for a semi-unique starfighter class to only number a dozen units, and then have another semi-unique battlecruiser, a craft thousands of times its size, number the exact same. Basically I'm asking for semi-unique to be defined according to ship and vehicle class. For instance, a Ferrari 459 is can be called semi-unique, but there's a lot more than a dozen of them. However, a Nimitz-Class Supercarrier can be called semi-unique as well, and there's 11 of them. Does any of that make sense or does anyone agree/disagree?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Same reason we don't throw a number at most things around here. Like economy, or calendar dates, or Hyperspace travel times, or how a Lightsaber works mechanically, or why some Turbolasers in the new movies have a firing arc in space. Etc etc etc.

Sometimes vague seemingly ambivalent technobabble, is the only thing keeping us sane at the end of the day.

shrugs :p

Anyway. For balancing reasons, I've always thought of Semi-Unique as meaning "More than one," and just sort of left it as that. If it's commonplace to assume a dozen these days? Well, then you've lost me already. Lulz. News to me.

The best way I can explain why a dozen or so is usually equated with the maximum number of Semi unique items is that theyre meant to be wielded by single squad sized groups. the only unit of npcs able to wield semi unique items are: Small/Unique, which maxes at about a dozen or so individuals.

Thatd be a dozen or so soldiers or pilots, which would mean a dozen or so vehicles or weapons. You can usually get away with 13 if your pc is also a member but, thats why a dozen or so is the most. the idea is only a single, quite small group could ever use the item in question.

In your example, the ferrari would probably better be defined as "Minor", which implies there aren't too many of them so as to flood the market, but can number in the thousands. aka, usable by a large number of people but not trillions upon trillions.

Edit: made the numbers i used for hyperboly bigger.

Semi-Unique means they are very valuable and not many generally exist either due to being to expensive to maintain or simply by the rarity of the materials involved.

Yes, Semi-Unique means an entire squadron of 12 or by your squadron size you somehow boosted up. However when it comes to larger ships, it generally is accepted that only one per fleet can be included or the idea that only players can use them. Myself when I make them, I generally put a hard limit on how many exist unless there is a special reason as to why there is not.

As for Vehicles, I more imagine them as a special item you give out to a battalion to use that is almost a "protect me, I am valuable" objective. You can probably get away with, like above, a squadron per engagement though those numbers are much harder to define but I would say, define it by size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom