Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Seek And Ye Shall Find

‘Tired of your company’? You’re the best company I’ve had in almost a decade; I’m in no rush to simply be done with it.” Revna blurted before she realized what she had said and her cheeks turned crimson again. She averted her gaze briefly as they made their way back towards the settlement and the Cathedral. “And…on top of that, you have a wealth of knowledge and information at your disposal. So of course I would want to study with you. It is of direct benefit to me.

The crimson flush to her face remained as he pointed out her insightfulness, still not used to being told such things. To hear the masked Sith agree with her statement made her feel good; it validated her thought process and how she was beginning to view the Force in general.

She turned her face towards him when he remarked about being honored that she considered the place and the work of the cult a divine reward from the Force, and a light of conviction rippled across her face. “It is a reward. After everything I’ve been through, everything I’ve suffered…this is the greatest reward I could have been given. All because I…put my trust in the Force and let it guide me. It is hard to view this-” she gestured to everything around them with her hand, “-as anything except a payoff of my budding faith. It knows what it’s doing. How else can I explain how I ended up here, of all places?

Revna fell silent for a moment as she looked ahead of them, and upon her surroundings once more. Yes, she was still new here. A fresh face…but this was already her home. To outsiders, it may not look like much…but to her, the Dresuoti was far more beautiful and grand than any noble’s estate she’d served or lived in.

She listened as he responded to her other statements, and she gave him a curious head tilt. “Why do you wait to start teaching about such things, like the history of the Sith, until later on in one’s training? Is there a purpose behind that?” After a brief pause, her curious frown deepened further.

You clearly have been a…trained Sith for a while. Did you learn or study at that academy you mentioned to me yesterday? Or did you have a teacher, like how you’re teaching me now?

The Acolyte knew her last questions were a little more personal, but her need to learn more compelled her to ask them anyway.

Darth Strosius Darth Strosius

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
There was a slight pause and a tilt of his head at Revna's little ecstatic outburst, casting a glance at her from the corner of his eyes with what could have only been an amused expression beneath his mask given her own reaction. "Flattery will get you nowhere Acolyte." Darth Strosius responded with a small chuckle, both in regards to his company and the 'wealth of knowledge' as she said it. There were many that would dispute both such notions. "But yes, I suppose I can provide some more context and explanations that may be lacking in some texts."

Given how scattered and disparate many records and archives, the original ones at least, could be due to both time and intentional destruction it was only natural that it was easier to count most texts by sentences rather than by books or even chapters. A shame that few if any firsthand accounts were complete but it was the unfortunate reality. One that he could thankfully guide Revna through due to his own rather extensive experience with it.

"A great reward indeed, but one that you still chose for yourself young Revna." The masked man reminded, for he too had been blessed greatly by the Force and rewarded with its gifts. The gifts of power, of freedom, and of purpose. Albeit his purpose had been so unclear at first, seemingly just to be another of the countless faceless Acolytes thrown into the fires of the Third Imperial Civil War. "Your journey and faith in our family is a reward, but it is also a duty. Not that I need to tell you that of course. I have no doubt that your commitment to the Force, to us, will lead you to accomplish great things indeed."

Her question regarding the usual ordering of instruction wasn't too unexpected, but rather than a prepared or scholarly answer he simply shrugged. "Those born into our faith receive such knowledge in their youth. Those welcomed in later on in life such as yourself must be shown, not just lectured at. Especially when such studies go hand in hand with Sith training, learning the history in tandem with learning yourself makes those lessons far more memorable and relevant." That and typically nontraditional learning settings just worked far better for those that hadn't lived entirely inside the cult.

Darth Strosius paused in his stride for a few moments as she asked about his own training, a slightly hollow chuckle escaping him before he sighed. "No I never had a place at any academy. Far too much posturing and politicking for my taste, even if I had been enrolled in one. My master was a firm believer in..." He idly flexed out his fingers before curling them into a fist. "'On the job' training you might say. Success or Death was her motto, she lived by it. I made sure she died by it too." He spared another grim laugh as he shook his head before continuing on. "I learned in war. Battlefields were my classrooms, wounds and duels my lessons, such was the times that I found myself in. It was difficult, but I became stronger for it."

Revna Revna

She tilted her head at his comment about her perceived words being seen as flattery and she averted her gaze, looking around herself at her surroundings as they continued on their way.

Well, compared to what I know, you have a wealth of knowledge I can learn from. And I was simply being honest with what I said. Perhaps I should be more careful with what I say to others.” She replied in a slightly more muted tone of voice, reminding herself that she was still new here and while she was very excited about all the good things happening to her, she tended to let her excitement get the best of her.

She remained quiet as the Sith continued with his response to her statements, speaking only after he paused to give her a chance to reply in kind. “Yes, it is a duty. One that I willingly accepted. And we shall see where I end up at the end of all of this. I still have much to learn, much to grow in.

The little woman listened to his response about how others were trained within the cult itself, the differences between those born into it versus those like her, who had come into it at a later point in time. She supposed that those who were born here would have grown up hearing and learning about the things she was learning, and indeed things she had yet to learn.

Her question about how he had been trained, however, gained a response she wasn’t expecting. His long stride paused briefly, and she paused in tandem with him, noticing his reaction to her more probing question. At first, she felt a bit of wariness as he seemed to recall or relive some past memory briefly and it did noticeably change his outward demeanor-even if he wasn’t aware of it.

Revna listened with rapt attention as Darth Strosius explained that he had never attended an academy for his training. Her brows dipped in a frown when he mentioned the word ‘master’, recognizing that in this instance he was not referring to a slave-master. Instead, he was referring to the woman who had trained him. Did…did that mean that he was technically now Revna’s master now too? Since he had agreed to teach her? He hadn’t referred to himself in such a way to Revna, not yet anyway. Maybe that was done so on purpose, due to her past?

She stopped walking completely and stared as he dropped a bombshell on her, before she moved to catch back up with him as he continued onward towards the Cathedral.

Wait…you…killed…your teacher?” the little woman asked, her voice relatively quiet but filled with the surprise she certainly felt in the moment. She blinked a couple times. “I can’t imagine that was…easy.” She murmured, suddenly feeling very troubled and uncertain as thoughts began to swirl around in her mind.

She suddenly felt the stirrings of the Voice within her in response to the Sith’s finishing statement.

-Tested and tried by fire and blood, by war and death…- came the faint whisper through her mind, coiling like blackened smoke. -He is one of My own. Take heed, My child. For you will be tried as well.-

She swallowed hard, and spoke in the same soft voice, almost in a trance-like tone. “The Voice…it responded to your words. It said you were one of its own. That you were tested and tried through fire and blood.

The young Sith woman walked in silence beside the masked Sith for a moment before she finally broke and asked the question that had been rolling around in her mind since he had revealed he had killed his own mentor.

Am…am I going to have to kill you one day too?” she asked, her voice barely above a whisper as she finally turned her face and gaze back towards him, uncertainty and perhaps even fear reflected upon her pale visage.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
"Killed is a rather strong word." Darth Strosius mused with a shrug, seemingly nonchalant despite the grim nature of their discussion. "Myself and her other apprentice, Malum, retired her. She had grown complacent, clinging to the shadows and letting the enemies of the Sith gain positions of power within our order. She was just as much at fault for the current state of affairs as they are, and thus I knew that she had to be removed." Although there would be much context that Revna wouldn't be enlightened to just yet, he figured that would be enough justification to soothe her worries.

In time she would come to understand the full extent of just why his master and her powerbase had to be so drastically gotten rid of, but for now she had received all that she needed to know. His master's demise would be the final lesson in her studies into Sith history, a fitting conclusion that would let the Acolyte have the full weight and knowledge of the Sith's long and storied past in her mind before she began to see the plans for the future. His plans for the future.

When Revna spoke up again and mentioned her Voice, a topic that they still needed to discuss in further detail later, he glanced back at her. "Well...it isn't wrong about me having been tried and tested I suppose." As for him being it's kin in some way that would still be up for debate depending on what exactly her Voice was. "Turns out fighting in and surviving the war that brings down an empire is quite the learning experience. Thankfully for you, that will not be a concern. You'll be struggling in a war that will fix one instead."

As they walked on the pair of them were quite a dichotomy if anyone were around to notice. Whereas Revna seemed rather solemn and thoughtful, Darth Strosius was just as resolute and assured as he usually was. If anything he even seemed to have a slight pep in his step. Evidently his general lack of remorse or regret extended far beyond his acts of sacrificing the guilty and criminal.

Her question made his stride pause again as he turned to face her fully, sparing a few moments to simply return her stare with his own hidden gaze before he responded. "If you ever find yourself needing to ask that question, then I would have betrayed all that I sought to bring about and become just as decadent and complacent as those I wish to see brought to their knees. If that were to ever occur, then it would not be me that you would be killing." He reached out and slowly rested a hand on her shoulder in what he hoped would be a comforting gesture.

"But fear not Revna, I have no intention of betraying the Sith for my own personal gain. Not now and not ever. I seek to build a Sith Order, a Sith Empire, where Sith such as myself are not needed. Where those that have had to struggle and make tough decisions as I have will not be required, for there will be no great enemies to struggle against." The masked man gave her shoulder a small squeeze before he pulled his hand away and began walking once more. "Even if I am not meant to see it for myself, I shall see it brought to fruition. Or die trying. For this is what the Force has asked of me."

Revna Revna

You don’t need to be shy with what you say to me, my Lord. I’m smart enough to know what you mean when you say you ‘retired’ her.” Revna replied, glancing at the Sith while unaware that she had used the term ‘lord’ with him for the first time since her arrival the day prior. “You are not going to scare me off by using blunt and frank wording. I mean, I discussed sacrificing a Jedi in your Cathedral for crying out loud.” she chuckled before continuing. “If you killed her, with the help of this other individual Malum, then that is what it is. And by the sound of it…it had to be done. It just took me by surprise that you did that is all. It doesn’t change the fact that I want to be here, and it doesn’t change the fact that I still desire to be a Sith.

There was much to the story surrounding such a killing that she was not aware of, and while she did burn with curiosity about the details of what happened, she had a feeling that it would be wise to keep her questions to herself on the matter. Darth Strosius was seemingly refraining from sharing the details surrounding the removal of his ‘master’... and Revna would respect that.

He responded to the words she had spoken on behalf of the Voice, and she thought she heard a slight touch of caution in his response. Of course, he wouldn’t know who or what the Voice was and while she had mentioned the Voice previously to him, it had been the first time she had repeated what the Voice had said…ever.

In fact, this Sith was the only individual beside herself who now knew of the Voice’s existence in her head, heart, and soul. Maybe…maybe he thought her a touch insane? Maybe she should refrain from speaking of the Voice or what it says in the future…

She smiled at his words regarding surviving through war, and listened as he shared that her experience would be different than his. She pondered his statement, that she would be fighting and struggling in a war that was to help fix the Empire. It was…an enormous undertaking, something that perhaps wouldn’t be seen or realized in her lifetime. But she could help her own way...would help, of that she knew was certain.

Her direct and pointed question on whether or not she was going to have to kill him one day too brought the tall Sith to a halt and he turned to face her directly. They stared at each other for a few moments in silence as she awaited his response in fearful anticipation. She couldn’t see his face nor his eyes; she had no way of really telling what he was thinking or feeling in the moment, and for a moment she feared the worst.

His reassurance brought her relief, and she physically relaxed enough that her shoulders dropped a little. He reached out a hand and to her surprise, gently laid it on her shoulder. She turned her gaze to his hand briefly before looking back at him with a far more open and vulnerable expression on her face that she otherwise should have had.

For some reason, the thought…the idea…of killing his man whom she barely knew did not sit well with her. And she didn’t understand exactly why this was.

I…may not know you very well, and I know that will change the longer I am here...if you are willing anyway. But I suppose it would be safe for me to say that if I did ever see that you were becoming that which you despise, then we would already be at odds with each other and probably willing to fight one another. But I don’t want to…and I don’t really know why the idea of that scares me as much as it does.

Revna tore her gaze away from his mask and looked down towards the ground. She almost felt…ashamed…for saying such things to someone she hardly knew. Like she had no place to do so.

Though she didn’t say it aloud, there was a statement he had made that she did not agree with…as much as she wanted to believe it to be true, and that was the idea that there would be no great enemies left to fight if he had his way and achieved all that he desired to in rebuilding the Sith Order, and the Sith Empire as a whole.

For as long as life and the galaxy existed, and different ideologies and thoughts and ideals existed…there would always be a great enemy to fight and struggle against. Of that she was certain.

His squeeze on her shoulder before his hand pulled away brought her gaze back to him and she offered a half smile before they continued on their way. “I…may not see the whole vision that you have yet, but I am willing to fight alongside you to further that goal you desire to reach.” Her smile turned a touch more devious. “Besides…if you achieve any greater standing within the Sith Order and the Empire itself…then that would benefit me and, of course, the rest of us.” She paused for a few steps, before her normal perky self was back and seemingly all trace of the uncertainty and fear she had shown him was gone. “So once we get back to the Cathedral, what would you like me to do? Just…rest? Maybe show me this reading material you have? Or maybe that would be for another day…?

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The masked man found it amusing that Revna assumed he was choosing an alternative wording for her sake, something that he'd let her believe without rebuttal. In truth he did harbor some level of respect for his master still. She was powerful and capable, taking her down had been by far the hardest trial of his life as a Sith in terms of physical and combat tests. Sorting out her powerbase had been an issue in and of itself, even after many of them had been culled by the Ouroboros Crisis as he intended, which only added to the matter. He and Malum may have indeed killed Darth Ophidia, but it was not so easy and blunt as the word would imply.

"It scares you for the same reason that I was scared of losing my master back when I was but an Acolyte. She was the most powerful Sith that I knew of, the one willing to guide and train me, the one that ensured my survival even if only to keep me around as a somewhat valuable piece in the long game of the galaxy." Unlike Revna, Darth Strosius had plenty of time on his own and being responsible for others that enabled him to separate himself from that view of his master. A long and gradual process which had birthed the independent Sith Lord that stood now.

"If you were to see my downfall though, you would also see that image crumble and with it the stability and security that I offer. That's what happened with my master. I saw her resolve and determination fail. 'Success or death' was what she always taught, so I held her to that lesson." He had no intention of making any of his cult have that same realization about him. He wouldn't abandon their mission and vision as his master had. "You'll understand in time young Revna. Thankfully you won't ever have to worry about such from me, but you'll see the signs in other Sith." Just as he had.

Darth Strosius chuckled as the Acolyte adopted a slightly more devious expression whilst mentioning the wider Sith Order, nodding as he glanced back at her and responded. "For one glance at my greater goals and ambitions, I wish to have the entire Sith Order and every world under its banner be like Formos. For a start." It was vague and he didn't bother to imply any actual plan for accomplishing such a feat, but it would be enough for Revna to keep in mind and work towards in the future. A hint that needed little to no real elaboration on his part.

"There's no reason that I can't start you out with some basic reading material for your spare time, but we'll save a full lesson in the library for another day. You'll need your rest. The Dark Side does not freely grant power, it will strain your body just as much as any vigorous exercise or taxing labor. Albeit in a mental sense alongside a physical one." Especially when one had been as active in one day and as varied with their power usage as Revna had. Her enthusiasm may outweigh her inexperience, but one could hardly argue with their body in such matters.

"Some history lessons to help ease your rest into something slightly more productive will be suitable I think." The origins of the Sith were hardly simple, even if one only considered the Sith's beginnings during the Hundred Year Darkness, unraveling such would serve as a decent first scholarly test for her. He had a feeling that the Acolyte at his side was not one to sit idle and waiting, so this task would be more than worthy of her time not spent practicing the Dark Side. "There is a bit more philosophy and faith to delve into but those are better suited for our lessons than readings."

She would discover the groundwork of the Sith Code in her readings, as well as the backbone of Sith philosophy and ideology in general, but the culmination was best to be taught personally. Or learned from experience. They neared the edge of the Dresuoti once more and the masked man idly adjusted his determined stride to one more casual. His cult rarely ever saw their High Priest in a hurry unless there was an urgent matter after all. "Is there anything aside from history that you would be interested in reading? I have plenty of tomes and digital archives that will be at your disposal."

Revna Revna

She was quiet and listened as he offered a reason on why fighting or even being forced to kill him might have scared her as much as it did, and his reasoning seemed to illuminate the source of her fears well enough, though if Revna was honest with herself there was a slight personal reason behind those fears of hers as well. Yes, right now Darth Strosius was the most powerful Sith she’d come in contact with. Yes, he had been willing to take her in and train her. But deeper yet, he had given her a place to live, a place to call home, people to interact with, food and clothing, a job…even if it didn’t pay credits…and a purpose to help shape and guide her. She feared that if something should happen to him, if he died or walked away from everything (which she doubted he would), then she would be forced back into chains. She would be left feeling vulnerable again. Alone. Maybe she’d find another Sith to take her in and train her, but it wouldn’t be the same as what she had here.

Of course, she knew that one day she would have to go on her own, be her own entity. But right now was not that time, and she probably wouldn’t be on her “own” for quite some time yet. But by that time, she knew she would be ready for her independence, for the freedom to do as she pleased and pursue her own agendas, though her roots would remain here on Formos.

The little woman nodded in understanding as he continued, explaining that he had held his own master to the same ideology she lived by, and that should he ever fall away from everything he had done and built then everything would crumble down, and Revna realized in a moment of clarity that it was the idea of losing the stability and security he gave to his flock that scared her the most.

She cast her gaze at him as they continued the walk back to the Cathedral. “I…hope I never have to worry about that.” She responded quietly before looking back towards the towering structure that was home to her now.

The Sith’s somewhat vague comments on what he wanted from the Sith Order brought a small, knowing smile to her lips. He didn’t have to go into detail at all for her to catch what he was trying to say. He wanted the entire Order, the Sith empire, to be like Formos. If he had his way and actually succeeded in that ambition…then in her mind that would position him to be the emperor, or at least the de-facto leader, of that future Order and all territories it possessed.

Hmm. Lofty ambitions.” she responded as her smile turned into a small smirk as her more typical brightness returned. “But something I am definitely willing to help you with. Especially if it leaves you being the ruler.

But even if he didn’t become the ruler of this future Order reshaped to his ideals, she knew she would still serve alongside him.

Yes…I am beginning to feel a bit…drained from everything that has happened today. I thought I had more energy, and I do…but I am starting to feel it now. I’m glad I listened to you when you said that enough was enough for the day.

Her eyes brightened, and her entire face and persona exuded excitement and eagerness upon hearing that she could start with some history lessons. “Oh yes, I like the sound of that! Learning where the Sith came from would be interesting to learn, and important information to understand I imagine.

The philosophy and faith portions were also something of keen interest to her-but she agreed with the Sith’s decision that it would be best to learn those things through lessons he taught her versus through reading materials.

You know…I’ve never really been a…faith based individual. I just wasn’t exposed to any of that as a slave. I am very interested in it however, and I do have a feeling that those kinds of topics…faith, philosophy, whatever have you…would be best suited for in person teachings instead of from a datapad or tome or whatever. Especially since I feel that involves more…hands on kind of lessons or training. Just a gut feeling.

The masked Sith asked Revna if there was anything else she might be interested in reading or learning about, mentioning that he had plenty of materials for her to use. A contemplative frown creased the small woman’s forehead and she pursed her lips in thought.

...what about different abilities or techniques that one can do when using the Force? Surely gaining a better understanding of what I could start learning or eventually work up to would be good. I am smart enough to limit myself to things which are better suited to a beginner to learn.

She paused for a moment then turned her contemplative frown towards the man beside her.

I…do have a curious question for you. You referred to your mentor as your ‘master’. I…assume that is a thing amongst the Sith? I’m assuming too that it is also a…title?...for the one who teaches the other? If that is the case…why did you leave that form of address out when I asked you yesterday what I should refer to you by? If we are being technical, if I am your acolyte, your student, which you said I was…then that would make you a master, yes?

She had her own idea as to perhaps why he hadn’t requested or demanded or asked that she refer to him as such, considering both of them had been slaves in their life, and the term ‘master’ meant something completely different to a person when they had been enslaved. But even with that idea in mind, she still wanted to hear and understand directly from him if possible. It might have been a bit of an uncomfortable question she posed of him, but sometimes one had to ask hard or uncomfortable questions in order to learn.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
"If all goes according to plan, then you won't." If he had his way then his cult would not only outlive himself but also outlive all of the Sith's ancient foes, regardless of whether they be Jedi or those who would claim the title of Sith for themselves. Of course such plans were all organized around him dying a premature death with said enemies still active and threatening which wasn't ideal. Ideally all of his cult's enemies both current and potential would be cast down long before he himself was laid to rest and became one with the Force.

Darth Strosius cocked his head to the side and cast the Acolyte a look of both amusement and confusion at her remark about him being made the leader of the Sith Order if his goals were indeed realized. It was such a tempting idea, one which had led to power struggles and civil wars even before the title of 'Sith Emperor' existed, one which even now inspired rising powers within the order to shoot for the throne and attempt to claim for themselves, one that he doubted Revna knew the full weight behind.

He never sought the throne for himself. He knew better, for he had seen the deaths and destruction caused by and as a result of power grabs for that very position. Perhaps it would be necessary to bring about the changes he wished to see, but such a thing would have to be temporary, To be an emperor of Sith was to be the target of all Sith as well and he had enough enemies as it was. "Lofty ambitions indeed..."

The masked man nodded at her assessment and idly crossed his arms behind his back as he spoke. "Readings and recountings can give you a baseline to work with, but yes philosophy and faith are topics better experienced than discussed. We'll have more than a few entire days dedicated just to such topics in the future." He neglected to mention that such days and topics would hardly be obvious, and he most certainly didn't make note of how today was the first such lesson. One day she'd realize it perhaps but until then he'd make no effort to reveal that every lesson would have two facets to be learned. One overt and one subtle, a Sith staple really.

"I'll make sure to include texts regarding more creative uses of the basic Force abilities that you've learned today then. You'd be surprised how versatile one can be with telekinesis and lightning." Thankfully he had no shortage of tomes and records detailing how to make use of a limited power set like Acolytes had. The many long centuries of having to hide their presence from the wider galaxy made Sith naturally favor more practical power usage that didn't require great rituals or in manners that would be obvious. One of the few advantages of having to hide from their hated foes he supposed.

His gaze flickered over to Revna once more as she asked her question, and rather sheepishly at that, regarding the titles of instructors and indeed what his own was meant to be. "'Master' is indeed the title used by Sith Apprentices to refer to those that instruct them, but I do not go by it as I have no apprentice at this moment." That and to those among his cult which had suffered chains in their past life he knew that to ask such a thing from them would be cruel. "While I may be your, and every other Sith under my command, teacher that does not necessarily make any one of you my apprentice. An apprentice is an Acolyte taken under the wing of a higher ranking Sith, molded to fight and think as closely as their master as is wanted. Eventually the apprentice will be expected to either surpass their master or die trying, much like when myself and my master's other apprentice outsmarted and killed her."

The wind seemed to become more rigid as he spoke, still as if waiting for some sort of wisdom or reveal in the masked man's words. "To be an apprentice to a Sith is to be chief amongst their followers and forces, above all others in terms of both trust and capability. It is a sacred bond that the Sith had practiced for thousands of years and one that has resulted in each new Sith becoming stronger than the one before them." He nodded towards the Dresuoti as they approached its outskirts. "None of the Squires nor any of the other Sith under my command are my apprentices. They are independent and are expected to be loyal to the Sith first and foremost, not to me. That is the difference between my Sith and my apprentice."

He had been searching for worthy candidates of course but thus far his options had been fairly slim as it were. The skills and missions that he desired his Sith to have simply left little room for a proper apprenticeship. "I shall indeed take a Sith or even multiple under my wing as my apprentice some day, but for the most part I have not found suitable enough candidates."

Revna Revna

She was definitely excited about the prospect of further studies and understanding of the philosophy and faith side of what the Sith had to teach her, but she brought that excitement back down to a more realistic measure as she knew that those lessons would come in due time and she had no need to rush such things. Truth be told, she had a feeling he would withhold teachings from her until he felt she was prepared for them, which was his prerogative. As the new student, she would have to be content with what she was given thus far to learn, to study, to train in. Revna knew that she would have her hands full soon enough.

She was just so…hungry to learn, to grow, to understand more.

The little woman perked up when he mentioned that he would provide her with texts that would go more in depth about the basic Force abilities she had exercised on this day. “Oh yes! I very much look forward to studying these. Now that I know I can do these things…I want to see just how much further I can take these abilities, these gifts. I don’t want to be content with just basic, learned skills. I desire to learn and do more with them, as I am able to of course.

As they neared the Cathedral, Revna listened intently to the Sith’s explanation to her questions regarding the term ‘master’, and his statement made sense to her in the moment. She made mental notes as he educated her on the matter. She took note of the wind, feeling it pick up a little bit more and pressed against the both of them with more intent, and she brought her bright and curious eyes up to look at him. She noted his words, that a Sith apprentice had to rise above others in forces, in followers…someone worthy of the trust placed into them, into their capabilities.

It clicked in her head that…if she truly wanted to become a Sith and take her place within the Sith Order, then she would need to be accepted as an apprentice, if not by the Sith man walking beside her, then by someone else who was willing to take her on. She would need to prove herself worthy of that title. The idea, the truth, of the work that would need to go into that was daunting…but she felt a steely resolve settle in her heart, in her mind, that she had something else to work towards. If she wanted this badly enough…then she would make it happen, one way or the other. Maybe…maybe…she could prove herself to eventually be a worthy candidate to him in the future? She would need to work very hard for that, she knew. If it even happened at all.

Do you desire to be his apprentice? Came a whispery thought through her head. You should probably really consider that before you make a decision. This is only your second day here; there are many more days to come. You may find that he is not a suitable master for you. But give this some time, learn what he teaches you. The rest will fall into place when and as it is meant to.

She looked away from the masked man beside her, looking around the settlement that was her new home. Her excitement gave way to a sense of calm, of…peace.

I understand; thank you for clarifying that for me. I…do hope you find suitable candidates that suit your purposes for what you need, what you are looking for.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Darth Strosius glanced back at Revna as she responded, a subtle shift of his head being the only real indication of such. It was like there was a hint of hesitation in her words, her previous excitement and eagerness having fallen into a calm demeanor. He'd almost call her thoughtful as though his apprentice explanation had inspired her into contemplation of a sort. How fascinating, yet not unexpected.

"Oh I think I have a few potential candidates in mind." His gaze turned away from the Acolyte as the doors to the Cathedral were opened to welcome them back inside once more, the priests now fully active in their duties and eager to receive the returning pair of Sith. The masked man greeted the waiting priests, as well as a few regular citizens who appeared to simply be visiting as the pair returned, but he didn't stop to talk long. Instead he kept moving forward and leading Revna back up the stairs where they had discussed her lodgings previously.

This time the meeting room and its signature table was bypassed entirely though as he headed for the door at the far end of the room. A small console sat next to it, him very clearly showing off a short passcode for Revna to see as he typed on it. "This section is reserved for Sith and priests alone, as some of these texts and relics can be...temperamental at times if proper respect and authority is not shown. The public records are downstairs."

With one final tap the door slid open to reveal a chamber full of bookshelves, with the occasional terminal or display case interrupting the shelving along the wall. A few tables surrounded by chairs dotted the area, mostly serving as places to hold an assortment of the candles that were commonly littered throughout the cathedral. An incense burner hung above the center of the room, a calming and welcoming aroma drifting down from it. Directly beneath it was a circle etched and carved in the stone, one that would be eerily reminiscent of the larger one in the Undercroft.

"The historical records and texts are kept in this section here." He gestured to one side of the room as he crossed over towards it, said section and terminal taking up the entire length of that wall. The history of the Sith was almost as ancient as the history of galactic civilization itself after all. "The terminal can be used much the same way but something about you strikes me as an enjoyer of the physical sort."

Darth Strosius looked over the wall for a moment before reaching up to pluck a heavy tome from the shelf, holding it in a single hand despite the great volume of it. It was bound in a sleek black leather and with some metal adornments on the cover, some tears and weathering along both the cover and some pages showing some wear and tear that signaled its age.

He turned and offered the tome to Revna with a nod. "This tome is one of the relatively more modern recollections, first penned in the time of the Galactic Empire. Unfortunately the scribe was put to death for snooping around in places that they didn't belong, but their work lives on." There were some corrections and addendums made over time of course but this text at least was as faithful to the original as they come. He had made some edits of his own as Emperor Palpatine wasn't known to be a Sith Lord at the time, nor his master Darth Plagueis and as such Darth Tyrannus had been recorded as the last Sith in the original text.

Revna Revna

She took note of the robed Sith’s words that he had a few candidates in mind and she tilted her head once more, but decided to not comment on it. Maybe one day she would get to see this individuals that he had in mind, and it would give her an idea of what apprentice material might look like.

Once more, the pair of Sith stepped up through the doors of the Cathedral, and the still new yet not unwelcome chill presence of the Dark side washed over Revna once more, its potency still enough to pull the breath from her lungs for a moment.

She made a mental note to go and sit in the main chamber on one of the pews later on in the evening, simply to allow herself to sit and bask in the presence so she could truly feel it and start to understand it.

The priests within the Cathedral greeted them both eagerly, and despite her best efforts, the young woman found her shyness returning a bit and she subconsciously moved closer to the robed Sith…almost as if to use his size and presence to hide herself from the sudden attention they both were receiving. The masked man was used to it, clearly, but she was not. Though she knew in time she would grow accustomed to it and even embrace it.

After briefly speaking to the priests and even a few citizens who were inside the Cathedral, Revna was led back up the stairs and back into the meeting room where they had sat and discussed her lodgings the day prior. She followed him across the room to a door opposite to them, and was quick to catch on to the fact that he was imputing the passcode to the terminal in such a way to reveal it to her as well, and she memorized the short code almost instantly as she listened to him explain that only the priests and the Sith of the settlement were allowed beyond these doors, due the nature of some of the items within.

This only made her curiosity burn brighter and hotter, and her hungry gaze took in everything within the room as it was revealed to her.

There was so much in the space that her attention was torn, her eyes glancing around almost frantically as her head moved to take in her surroundings. Shelves upon shelves covered the room, along with terminals and a few display cases scattered about. The room also held several tables and chairs and light was provided by the same kind of candles that burned throughout the Cathedral. A pleasing aroma that seemed to ease the mind and clear it of internal thoughts and clutter filled the room, coming from an incense burner that hung from the ceiling above their heads. Revna’s eyes were drawn to the circle on the floor directly beneath the hanging incense burner, and she approached it with cautious intrigue, taking in its carved nature and recognizing that she’d seen a similar circle in the secret chamber underneath the Cathedral.

She looked up and back around the chamber around her; it almost pulsed with the Dark presence, like there was some kind of invisible beating heart within the room itself.

The male Sith’s voice drew her attention back to him as he gestured to a section of shelves and a terminal against one of the walls, saying that the historical records were kept in that particular section as he crossed over towards it. Wonder filled the young woman’s eyes as she continued to look around, almost bewildered by the amount of items and books within. She didn’t even know where to start…

"Wow this place is...amazing... Guess I know where I'm spending most of my time now..."

Revna moved quietly and slowly closer to where the taller man stood, watching as he looked over a particular section as he commented that he felt she would enjoy more physical books or objects over researching through a terminal, and she smiled slightly at his astute observation.

I’ve…never really read a physical book before but I feel like I would agree with you. I think I would much prefer sitting and reading from a physical object in my hands than something from a terminal…but I’ll learn from any source if given the chance.

The little woman turned her bright eyes and wonder-filled face towards him as he pulled a large book from the shelf with ease, and her eyes widened even further at the sight of it. She noted the sleek black leather cover and the metal adornments across its surface, along with the obvious signs of wear and tear. It certainly looked aged.

Revna reached out almost gingerly with two small hands when the Sith turned and held the tome out to her, taking it from him with care like she was holding something fragile and delicate. Immediately, her eyes were glued to it as she opened the front cover to peer at the first page or two, the light of hunger making her eyes almost glow.

She tore her gaze from the book to look at Darth Strosius as he explained the nature of the tome now in her hands. She was not familiar with the time period known as the Galactic Empire, but hearing what he said only further deepened her need to understand and gain the knowledge within.

Does…this tome go over the history of the Sith entirely or just from the point of this ‘Galactic Empire’ you mentioned?” She questioned before an all too familiar curious frown creased her brow as she looked up at him. "Now I'm curious though...what part of Sith history is your...favorite? Maybe favorite isn't the right word...uhh, the period of time that draws your attention most?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
"You're free to come and go from here as you like, with whatever reading material you'd prefer. I know the sanctuary of your quarters may be more preferable sometimes." All Priests and most Sith of the cult were granted the same access after all so the library wouldn't be so quiet all the time. That was the reason for the terminals after all, a quick way to download one or two records onto a datapad to be read privately later. There was even such a terminal in his own chambers for that very use. Even if it was never utilized much given his preference for experimentation rather than education these days.

"It recounts the history of the Sith up until the Galactic Empire, when they were thought to be extinct. However there is an addendum explaining that the Emperor and his apprentice at the time were both Sith, as well as some additional context and information that is otherwise absent. It isn't the best as it isn't written from Sith perspective but it is fairly unbiased and accurate enough." There were a good few tomes and records from Sith both modern and from years long since past but at times their exaggerations and biases could be found in every word of the texts.

Sifting through that archive was a task in and of itself which he would entrust to Revna only after they had gone over the finer points of cross-referencing and sourcing. And not a moment before, lest her young mind be lost in the turbulent pages and writings of eccentric historians. When he finished his own record of Sith history up to the present day then most of that section of the archives would be made redundant anyway.

Her question made him let out a small hum as he seemed to think on his response for a moment, although he knew the answer well enough already. "I would say that two periods catch my attention and interest the most among the rest. The 'Reconstituted Sith Empire' as historians call it was by far one of the most fascinating and powerful Sith Empires across our history. Many Sith of note and renown that I will reference in your future lessons will come from this empire and time period." He would argue that the Sith would have achieved their final victory in that time had Darth Malgus succeeded then. But alas the pieces had to be picked up in the present where their forebearers had failed.

"The time of the 'New Sith' is one which I find especially useful in the present however. Many worlds in the Outer Rim became home to the Sith during that time, worlds that lay unclaimed and within our reach." The long story of the New Sith was full of successes and failures of course but more than that it held great potential in his eyes. Worlds with Sith history which could be revived, tales of new armies springing up to match and even best the strong Core Worlds with their Jedi defenders, and of course a resurgence in sorcerous and alchemical arts.

"Both were Sith at great heights, albeit very different ones. Yet for all of their differences and contrasts both were able to face off against the Core Worlds and the Jedi in surprisingly similar manners. Perhaps this shows the common weaknesses of the Core, or perhaps it shows where the strengths of the Sith inherently lay. Regardless both hold my interest each time I research the past." Strategies and potential areas of interest alike were always his goal during his little forays into the archives, for by now he already knew so much about the history of the Sith that he hardly needed to reread any records.

"The more recent history of the Sith is quite...muddled in terms of records but I have a few news articles and the like on the terminals that you can peruse at your leisure as well. Although I'd recommend getting some of the ancient history under your belt before you begin delving into the more modern times." Given how turbulent and confusing that the recent history of the galaxy as whole was it was better to understand the grand scheme of the galaxy first and foremost in his mind.

Revna Revna

To hear that she was free to come and go from this particular place filled her with further excitement - especially hearing that she could take what she wanted from the room to read at her leisure elsewhere if she so desired to.

Young Revna didn’t know what to do with herself at the moment as she held the heavy tome in her hands. She peered at the Sith with her bright eyes as he explained that the book she held contained information and history about the Sith up until the so-called ‘Galactic Empire’. Hearing that the book wasn’t exactly written from Sith perspective didn’t really matter to her at the moment: she knew that if she had questions that she could simply ask the man before her.

Turning to look around briefly, the small woman spied a chair to sit in and she moved to seat herself, laying the large book down across her legs as she peered over it again before bringing her attention back to the robed Sith upon hearing his thoughtful hum to her question about which time period in Sith history caught his attention the most. She listened eagerly as he shared with her brief information about two time periods: the Reconstituted Sith Empire, and the New Sith.

I…assume I will read about both of these time periods in this book?” She asked with further curiosity. “The history of the Sith must be a long one…judging from how thick and heavy this tome is! I can’t wait to read it all. Maybe I should take study notes or something…

Her face, full of life and zeal and curiosity, stared into his mask. She could barely contain her almost child-like exuberance at being, quite literally, surrounded by knowledge that she just couldn’t wait to absorb.

I bet you know almost everything that’s in this book already, don’t you? And whatever else is in this library. I imagine you have to know your stuff to be a Sith…

Revna cast her eyes back to the book in her lap as he mentioned the newer age of the Sith, and that he recommended she familiarize herself with the Order’s ancient past before diving into the present. It made sense to her; she was more than eager to learn a thing or two about the ancient Sith and their ways. How it had changed over time, or if anything was still similar in modern times.

Of course…there is wisdom in learning from the past. Of course, you are my teacher in these matters: I will do, or study, or read whatever you direct me to. But there is much here to keep me occupied for some time, I think…

She smiled, a genuine one that reflected in her blue-gray eyes. “Thank you, High Priest. I imagine I’ll probably be in here until dinner…or later.” she chuckled. It wouldn’t come as a surprise to her if she got so sucked into her readings that she forgot to eat food.

Umm, is there anything else you have for me to…do? Or am I free to stay and read?” She briefly looked towards the door that led out of the library. “Do…do I need to do anything to help out around the Cathedral? Any chores or duties I should be aware of before the night closes out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom