Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Searchlight Sensor Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Fleet Commander For The Nomadic Peoples Coalition

IMG_1303.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: Create a focused, high powered sensor to punch through high interference such as jamming, ECM, radiation, or cloaking.
  • Image Source: (X) cropped from an Adamkop commission that I had him do a while back.
  • Canon Link:
  • Permissions: (X)
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Dar'Manda Industries
  • Affiliation: Customers of Dar'manda Industries.
  • Market Status: Open-Market
  • Model: Searchlight Sensor Suite
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material:
    • Durasteel
    • Titanium
    • Magical sensor gizmos
    • High quality power/signal boosters
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Adjustable cone of vision - the searchlight sensor suite can scan an area within a 30° cone and narrow the cone for increased range and intensity.
  • Turreted - sensor can be aimed in any direction like a gun turret.
  • Boosted and concentrated - by concentrating scans into a directional cone, and utilizing sensor amplifiers, this system has the ability to be able to break through jamming or find distorted or cloaked items.
STRENGTHS
  • Removing the haystack - because the “Searchlight” focuses scans into a concentrated cone, and is heavily boosted, this sensor system is capable of overpowering “sensor-distortion” countermeasures such as ECM, intense radiation, jamming, and cloaking technology.
  • Far-sighted - the concentration of boosted scanning into a focused cone allows this sensor to see further than conventional military sensors.
WEAKNESSES
  • Turn to look - the Spotlight must be aimed in the general direction of an object to be able to detect and scan it. The “Searchlight” cannot create a sensing cone wider than 30°.
  • Far-Sightedness - data collection is too distorted to get fine details at point-blank range. This is because of the intensity of the scans being so close to the source. This system is also far too narrow to be effective at point-blank range because the cone is so small at this distance.
DESCRIPTION
In support of Dar’Manda’s new “electronic warfare” trend, Viken Dobson quickly elected to build an advanced sensor suite that can contend with recent advances in distortion technology. It’s very expensive, given the high quality of the design, and power requirements it takes to bust through modern stealth methods. So Viken built something that could be built affordably and sold to customers on a mass scale. It gives small, fledgling navies/armies an intensive long range scanning option, providing that the object being scanned is conspicuous at all to begin with. It has to be aimed at an object to scan it, so if the operator of this suite is unaware of the object’s existence, then the operator has no reason to look for it.

Last edited:

Grand Shepherd Burtch

MANIAC MANIAC

Thank you for your prompt response.

I would like to figure out a way to keep this as a mass production item, and use it an intensive method of scanning low profile items if at all possible. Actual stealth tech is obviously still overpowering this submission in my mind, but I’d like to place this device somewhere in between a generic sensor and anti-stealth system. What is the best way to achieve this in your opinion?

HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge
Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch

Not really, these are anti-stealth technologies, and the stealth technology are restricted.
  • If the sensors able to penetrate stealth systems, for example the TibannaX and the drive system what its use, then that's anti-stealth, the Mag-field generator is the same. If this is just more powerful normal sensor that aren't able to penetrate stealth systems then it is acceptable. And the Nightshadow Anti-sensor Treatment is perfect stealth method, only imperfect when the ship move fast.
  • Only the Sensor Deflector Spray is the one which is tell, only good against a bad systems, so imperfect. If you keep only this, in that case it can be Mass production. But if you want to keep the rest, that is Semi-unique.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

MANIAC MANIAC

That’s perfectly reasonable and I can see the necessity in removing some of my specifics, so I will gladly do that as you asked. Although, do you mind if I maintain that this technology can counter sensor jamming technology and radiation interference? It seems as though every Winnebago in space and their furry companion has access to that technology, so it would be nice to have a modern counter to that method in mass production. :)

Grand Shepherd Burtch

MANIAC MANIAC

My mistake. I should have listed this link instead. Is this acceptable to counter?

I apologize for making a case, and I hope this isn’t seen as rude, but I’d like to point out that it explicitly states that using this technology reveals the general whereabouts of the vessel that is using it because “At the same time, the amount of energy broadcast by a sensor jammer would alert the enemy to its general location.”

Also, academically speaking, If countering generic sensor jamming technology is restricted because anti-stealth technology is restricted, then by technicality, does this also mean that sensor jamming technology is by technicality a stealth technology, and also restricted?

HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge
Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch

If it is stated in the description that it may or can interfere with the systems or is just supporting another system, it is not restricted. Because you can defend yourself against these effects.
But if you cannot do anything against it, or reveal the cloaking/stealth devices, technologies, it is restricted indeed.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

MANIAC MANIAC

This explanation is very helpful to me, thank you.

I guess I might as well make this a semi-unique item, and make it a total stealth-buster in the process. I’ll need some time to overhaul this property.

Thank you for you help! I’ll tag you when this is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom