Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Screw the Rules I Have Money!

Sorr Kortu

Socially Awkward Smuggler

Makeb-3.jpg

Makeb is a beautiful world, one of the most economically thriving planets in the Galaxy. Not a surprise considering that Makeb is located in SJC space and they were staying out of the Great Hyperspace War and as such wasn't hit with the devastation of war. Sorr had visited Makeb at least twice, his Dad was forming alliances with the bankers of Makeb and even bought Sorr his own bank account complete with a heft sum of credits when Sorr turned 18. The problem with that was while Sorr did turn 18, he ran away from home so he could start on an adventure and chose the life as a smuggler. While Sorr had steady pay, it wasn't enough to make ends meet and his ship was falling apart.

"Perhaps," Sorr muttered to himself while he walked through the marketplace. "That I could go to the bank and ask for it. The Makeb bank does keep transactions between their clients private."

The young man sighed; he definitely was not going to steal the money perish the thought! But it wouldn't hurt to ask for the money that belonged to him..... right?

Under Foot Under Foot

Makeb.

It was a tad further out into the Rim than the Squib would have liked. Denon was great for business. Especially the underworld, but it was still nestled inside the shelter of the Galactic Alliance, with all the economic boons that came with access to the Core's lucrative trade markets. Corellia. Coruscant. Balmorra. Alderaan.

Sure, there was the persistent shadow of war or rumors of war, but that was the nature of the galaxy. Governments came and went. It was one reason that the Squib didn't put much stock in the value of credits.

They had already seen a Galactic Alliance rise and fall. Perhaps this one would prove enduring. Or perhaps it would join the Commenor Systems Alliance, the First Order, or the Outer Planets Alliance as examples of currencies that had been devalued virtually overnight, the governments that once guaranteed them relegated to fading historical relevance.

No, to secure one's future, investments needed to include more than money.

That's what had dragged the Squib to Makeb. It was one of the few markets in the galaxy that dealt in isotope-5.

A small amount of that would serve as a hedge fund against bankruptcy were the Alliance to join its predecessor. The problem was, it was expensive. And the costs of secure transport back to Denon was looking more and more like this investor's holiday was more a fool's errand.

His two tails shifting behind him, the diminutive Squib peered around the spaceport as he debated his options.

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

Sorr continued to walk towards the main bank trying to think of a way to convince the bankers to open his account. It was Sorr's money and by the time he'll turn 18, he'll have access to it. Hopefully his Dad didn't cut access to his bank the moment he ran away, he probably did but it was worth exploring at least. The young man sighed trying to walk through the crowd of rich nobles. The couple greeted Sorr while he bowed before leaving.
Sorr always Makeb was less snobbish compared to Alderaan mainly because of the planet's humble beginnings. The people weren't descendants of great Kings or Queens but rather desperate refugees from the Mandalorian Wars. They built a successful place but did not forget where they came from.

He smiled, that kind of combination is rare and something that many people ought to emulate. Just then, Sorr turned around seeing what appeared to be a Squib peering around the spaceport. Curious, he never seen a Squib before they usually keep to themselves. "Excuse me," Sorr said approaching the yellow furred person. "You look lost, do you need some help."

Might as well introduce himself, hopefully Sorr could make a good first impression. "Name's Sorr," he said offering him his hand. "Captain of the Tiaza's Purr. What are you doing all the way Makeb?"

Under Foot Under Foot

"Excuse me."

The Squib's ears perked up.

Turning his head up toward the voice that addressed him, the small furball was presented with a dark-skinned, lanky human-ish alien. "You look lost, do you need some help," the stranger noted, before proceeding to give his name.

Not just his name, but the name of his ship.

Now, in this situation, a lesser Squib might only see a potential customer. But what did Ree see? A customer and a possible free ride back to Denon. That was a two-for-one. There was no better deal than a two-for-one.

"Greetings and salutations, Sorr Captain of the Tiaza's Purr!" the Squib chimed jovially, his tails alternating as they appeared to wag behind him, while he mimicked the human gesture of outstretching one's hand toward a new acquaintance. "Reeilownyfflam-Fflewddur, the Twenty-Seventh, yes, sir, Captain, sir, indeed I am I am."

This was Makeb, not Denon, so the Squib's reputation was not likely to proceed him. That being the case, some introductory elaborations were required as part of the Squib protocol for schmoozing a new potential client. "Known throughout the Core for gadgeting gadgets and tinkering trinkets. Squib Reclamation Employee of the Year, five times!"

The best part of all, it wasn't even lying. He was the only employee at the landfill on Denon. Well, the only employee who wasn't a droid.

"But most humans call me Under Foot, they do," the Squib noted with a nod.

"Would you happen to be in need of an engineer, Sorr Captain, sir?"

The cost savings on a trip back to Denon was out there. He could feel it in his fur.

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

The Squib looked friendly enough, judging by his youthful features he looked to be around 14 years old. When he introduced himself though..... Sorr forced a smile though inwardly groaned. "And I thought Vletti'azan'uosus Vletti'azan'uosus name was hard to pronounce," He thought.

"Yeah..... I think in the interest in not trying to offend you, I'm not going to try to pronounce that." Sorr chuckled nervously though thankfully the Squib gave him an alternate name that he can call him by: Under Foot.

"Ah, nice to meet you Under Foot," Sorr said smiling. "It's amazing that you're an accomplished engineer at such a young age. Was thinking of getting into engineering myself when I was in Primary School but I didn't pass the Hyperspace classes."

Sorr sighed remembering how he "failed" his only honors class. "You need a B average to be considered to get in the best tech school, I had a C plus in Hyperspace physics could never wrap around it without the help of the dreaded A.I."

The young man shuddered his thoughts focusing on M.O.M: The ship A.I. He was growing fond of her thanks to her bailing the crew out from sticky situations. Still, it was best to be cautious, one can never tell when an A.I could go rouge. Sorr's thoughts were interrupted when Under Foot asked if his ship needed an engineer. "You know....." Sorr said rubbing his chin. "We kinda do, I've been needing an engineer for a while now. My ship got dinged up when I was navigating through an Asteroid field..... don't ask why."

He really did not want to relive the noodle incident again.

"Anyway, my rear engines have been flickering in and out lately. I don't suppose you could, do it? I can pay you! Besides maybe you can travel with me. I have a crew and we're taking jobs all over the galaxy."

Under Foot Under Foot

"It's amazing that you're an accomplished engineer at such a young age."

The remark put a question in the Squib's head. Was Sorr very old? How did one tell just how old humans were? Under Foot usually went by height, with the ones closest to the Squib's height being the fuzz-less fuzlings of the strange aliens.

"Was thinking of getting into engineering myself when I was in Primary School but I didn't pass the Hyperspace classes," Sorr remarked, seemingly making a connection between mechanical work and higher education.

"Fascinating!" the Squib uttered. Not sarcastically, but with genuine enthusiasm. Had Sorr attended higher education? Such a thing on Denon was reserved for only those who could afford it -- DireX supporters who paid heavily for the privilege, with scholarships reserved for those Corpos who towed the company line.

Ree's education was all outside the classroom. Child labor from the time he was a fuzling, before maturing into apprenticeships in his teenage years had prepared him for the day that his family's landfill had become his own. The fine points of hyperspace physics, he had not a clue. But he could rebuild a Sienar hyperdrive blindfolded at this point, having salvaged parts and equipment from out of ships of all type.

To speak of formal education, Sorr Captain was fortunate son, indeed.

"Anyway, my rear engines have been flickering in and out lately. I don't suppose you could, do it?"

"Absolutely, yes, you bet'cha!" the Squib chimed in reply.

The offer to ride along with the crew was the deal falling into place nicely.

"I was going to be traveling back toward the Core myself, but I can take the long way around,"
the Squib said with a nod. "So let's say yes."

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

"Awesome!" Sorr said clapping his hands he felt tempted to ask Under Foot to join his crew but he wasn't sure if he was up to joining a Smuggling group.

"I'm on my way to get money from the bank," Sorr said. "If you wanna come be my guest! As soon as we get the money, we can be on our way to my ship where you can begin the repairs."

The young man took a step out towards the bank. "So, you coming?" He asked smiling.

Under Foot Under Foot

Of course, Captain Sorr mentioned money.

Humans seemed obsessed with money. While the Squib would concede that a line of credit had its usefulness is some situations, there was no substitute for bartering. The art of the deal. It was the universal trade language. And, in many parts of the Rim, the only real trade language. Credits wouldn't get you a cup of caf on one of those worlds. They needed something more real. Something that addressed a need.

"So, you coming?"

"Absolutely, yes," the small Squib chirped, his tails bouncing behind him as he hurried to keep pace with the human's longer stride.

Once the human had his money, then the Squib could start the task of sorting out just what kind of repairs this ship called for.

And, more importantly, what kind of trash might be lying about.

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

900px-Logan_FelicianoIronBankII.jpg

Sorr and Under Foot arrived at the entrance of the Bank of Makeb. It was one of the wealthiest banks in the Galaxy famous for their discretion and privacy. It was a major reason why Sorr was confident that his dealings with the bank will be unbeknownst to his dad. The Bank of Makeb keep their word and whatever happens between the bank and their customers will remain a secret. Sorr just hoped all those credits stored up transferred to his name. "I have millions of credits saved," Sorr said to Under Foot. "If I can get it, I can pay you well for your work Under Foot."

He bit his tongue when he said that a rule of thumb was to never disclose how much money you have in the bank. It'll make an employee ask for a large sum of money. Sorr didn't even know if Under Foot was even good or not. It wasn't if he was doubting him, but he had yet to see Under Foot's work. The young man entered through the door where a female Zeltron was tapping away at her Holocomputer. He looked around the place it's been years since Sorr was in the Bank and he couldn't get over how spacious the Bank was. It was sleek and stark everywhere he looked there were sharp lines made from the finest material. Yet what caught Sorr off guard was the overwhelming space and silence. There wasn't much to look at.

"Hello," Sorr said taking a deep breath. "I'm here on appointment to see the Bank in regard to my account."

"Ah yes, Sorr Kortu." The receptionist said. "Please have a seat."

She pointed Sorr to a white chair far from her as Sorr walked he smiled at Under Foot. "So far so good I suppose," he said.

Under Foot Under Foot

"If I can get it, I can pay you well for your work Under Foot."

As the pair stepped inside of the bank, the Squib glanced around. These currency exchanges were always so... boring.

"Much appreciated, Captain Sorr, sir!" the fox-like alien chirped, ears perking up as he looked up at the taller human. Though, he couldn't help but add, "But... Squib actually don't find credits all that interesting. We prefer barter."

What made credits so special to people? There was nothing like haggling over a good trade.

It was the true art of the deal!

As the two were motioned over to some chairs, the captain said, "So far so good I suppose."

Hopping up into a chair designed for someone taller, the Squib tried to adjust his tails so that he wasn't sitting on them. Then just nodded over at the captain.

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

The seat was so small that Sorr nearly sank it felt uncomfortable and embarrassing though the only other person besides Under Foot was the Zeltron receptionist and she was busy typing away at her Holocomputer. "Oh really?" Sorr whispered to Under Foot when he said that Squibs take barter over credits. "What are you looking for specifically?" Sorr whispered to Under Foot. "I've collected many trinkets in travels, you're free to choose which ones you want. I don't care about the items. What's important is that I get an engineer for the ship."

Sorr was good with computers and had some knowledge with Hyperspace technology, but he couldn't devote his time towards repairing the ship by himself. He'll need more crewmembers and while that meant less overall pay, it's better to have that than a broken-down ship. "It's always the waiting that gets me," Sorr whispered trying to create conversation. "You would think there will be more people at a bank this prestigious."

Under Foot Under Foot

"What are you looking for specifically?"

The Squib gave a soft laugh. The question missed the point. "It's not a thing, it's an experience," Under Foot remarked. "Bartering is as close to our heart as religion is for those... Ashlan Crusade people monk things."

Credits just dumbed down the market.

"Reducing items to a flat cost in credits is boring. At best, you haggle -- but that's just nickel and diming your way to compromise," the Squib continued, holding out one hand as he seemed to dream big just then. "No, taking something one person has and finding something of value they want in exchange... that takes moxy!"

Captain Sorr was obviously trying to make conversation to make up for the waiting. Which the Squib could appreciate.

"You would think there will be more people at a bank this prestigious."

"With the Alliance-Imperial War, a lot of markets have tanked -- and the loss of the Confederacy had already sent whispers of recession through the HoloNet. So, I imagine most people are probably just holding onto assets and not trading much," the Squib opined aloud.

"Plus, interest rates are terrible at the moment."

He'd thought about getting a loan for a new molecular forge for the recycling center. But not at these rates. He'd wait another season or three and hope the IGBC recovered.

Sorr Kortu

The worst thing about waiting for the bank is that you have to wait a long time for them to get ready. Never mind the fact that a bank like the Bank of Maekeb is not only aware of Sorr's presence but already was tracking his every movement. Sure, Sorr didn't schedule an appointment but still even if he did, he would be waiting just as long. "We're probably already in a recession," Sorr said. "With all this war going on, how can we not? The Alliance is experiencing an economic crisis with so many wars waged through the years as well as the Brotherhood devastating major planets in the Core."

He wondered when the Galactic Alliance would ever have a period of peace. Sorr couldn't remember a time where they were not at war and to think, the Alliance called themselves peacekeepers. In the Brotherhood's case however, the Alliance was attacked first with the sacking of Coruscant. "I just hope that by the time the Galactic Alliances finishes off the Brotherhood," Sorr said. "That we can finally start rebuilding and stay away from conflict. But then again, I'll be out of the job."

Under Foot Under Foot

"Even if it's not the Brotherhood, it'll be the Sith, or take your pick of any of the empires popping up in the Outer Rim," the Squib noted. It was a far more cynical outlook than he typically expressed, but it was reality.

Captain Sorr seemed to have the right mind. War disrupted supply lines, creating opportunities for people with a knack for finding things, transporting things, or providing safe passage.

"But, as my people say, war is good for business."

...or was it, business is war?

Honestly, he was never very good at remembering these things.

Sorr Kortu

"The Sith I'll grant you that," Sorr said though he was certain that the Sith Empire was done and dusted. Soon the Brotherhood will be destroyed and hopefully the Alliance can get a breather. Though Sorr didn't like the rumblings of a Cold War between the Empire and the Alliance. Considering that Sorr set up a base in the fringes of Imperial Space, it could mean that security could tighten.

"Though the Outer Rim will always quarrel among themselves," Sorr continued. "The Alliance is apathetic to their issues at best, they're too divided to unite until the Confederacy came in and did the impossible but they're gone now."

"Mr. Kortu," the Zeltron reception called over to Sorr. "They're ready to see you."

"Wonderful!" Sorr laughed nervously getting up from his small chair. "Let's get going then!"

Under Foot Under Foot

"Though the Outer Rim will always quarrel among themselves."

"Of course, but that's what'll always make the Outer Rim so profitable!" the Squib opined brightly. Wannabe warlords always needed stuff. And there was tons and tons of trash in the Outer Rim. Whole planets with crashed ships on their surface, just waiting to be scavenged and salvaged!

It was a beautiful frontier of junkyards and debris fields, with vast stretches of space where no Squib had gone before.

Then one of the bankers called them over. As Captain Sorr got up from his chair, the twin-tailed Squib hopped down and bounded alongside his taller human companion.

Sorr Kortu

latest

The hallway towards the banker's office with each step Sorr took on the green marble floor, it created an echo in the empty rooms they passed by. "Never seen the bank so empty before," Sorr said frowning. "I wonder what's going on here?"

Even on slow days, the bank still had many people looking to withdrawal or deposit. The young man squinted seeing the main room ahead, as Sorr entered he saw three men sitting neatly across from each other. "Welcome Mr. Kortu," a man with red hair said. "Please you and your friend sit."

Sorr took a deep breath slowly walking towards the chair. He wasn't surprised at the fact that the bankers weren't put off at the presence Under Foot. The bankers have probably been prompted by an A.I of who Under Foot was from his documents, criminal history and likely deemed him as a safe risk. Sorr on the other hand despite being a Smuggler did low key jobs just enough to skirt under jurisdiction and he hand Lady X pay off authorities to look the other way during jobs. In other words, if Sorr and Under Foot presented a danger the two would be hauled off before they even entered the hallway.

"Hello," Sorr said smiling. "I like to thank you for bringing me in on such short notice."

"Of course," the man gave a smile though Sorr noticed that his eyes did not smile with his mouth. In the criminal underworld, Sorr quickly spotted the criminal bosses who tried to play nice with him. It was through their insincere smile that belied their cold and calculating nature. Bankers often had those same qualities. "My name Roland Creer and I will be serving your transactions for today."

"It's a pleasure," Sorr said turning to Under Foot. "This is my friend: Under Foot."

Under Foot Under Foot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom