Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Sabers crossed once more

Travot found himself in a familiar clearing in the forest not too far from the Silver Rest. Many times as a padawan and a young knight, he had found himself among the very same Wroshyr trees, swinging his saber as he ran through drills and sparring sessions as he learned the basics of many lightsaber styles. He had been insatiable in his pursuit of martial arts knowledge and skill, both with the lightsaber and without it. But there came a point where one could find himself learning only more by teaching - and he was far overdue to pass on some of his knowledge and skill to the upcoming generation of Jedi.

He recalled the teachings of his first master, who had first introduced him to lightsaber use and taught him the basics of his first style of combat - Soresu. It had been a highly practical form to learn during his first years in the outer reaches of the galaxy where blasters were far more common than lightsabers. Even with the return of the Sith and other dark siders in large numbers, Soresu was invaluable in simply keeping Jedi alive against the fearsome abilities of the most powerful Sith. The knight pulled out his lightsaber and flicked its activation stud, causing a deep sapphire blade to spring to life. He contemplated its beautiful if deadly glow as he waited for his fellow jedi and learner.

Draven was glad to be out of the main area of the silver rest. He'd been spending a bit of time in the courtyard practicing his unarmed fighting styles. Primarily because the young jedi had been trying to cope with recent past experiences. Though Draven was at enough of a point where he was ready to at least stop being so much on the aggressive and start seeking more of a defensive form of fighting.

Draven had a respect for lightsabers. Despite having a dislike for weaponry. While Draven was naturally gifted with a blade. Which he hoped would help with this training. Though this was a form Draven had little familiarity which. Though that brought a bit of excitement to the teenager. He knew he'd have to tone down on that though.

Draven had armed himself with a training saber for the lesson. Giving that he was only seeking to learn off this experience. He knew Soresu was better equipped at handling blaster fire. As well as was all around more agreeable to when you wished to remain defensive or try and outlast an opponent. Which would be handy. If ever he found himself in a battlefield circumstance. That or depending on his foe might provide him with more options.

When Draven spotted a sapphire glow. He proceeded to direct himself over to whom he was hopeful was suppose to be his instructor in regards to this lesson. The young jedi came to a halt and gave a polite bow to his teacher of this subject. "I'm Draven. I was instructed to meet with you here regarding lessons?" Wanting to be sure this was indeed the right person he was seeking.

Travot Ravenna Travot Ravenna

A subdued smile slowly crept across Travot's face as Draven Eterena Draven Eterena approached. He tapped a button on his saber's activation stud, causing the blade to disappear. He clasped it back onto his belt while the padawan bowed and spoke.

"Yes, I am Travot Ravenna, a knight of the Silver Jedi Order," said the susevfian, "I understand that you are looking to learn more about Soresu, is that right? Have you had any experience with the style?"

Draven gave a nod of his head in response. "Yes, Sir. I've actually no practical experience with the form. However, I've an idea about the form from an academic standpoint." Draven admitted and worked on a subtle breathing technique to get his mind set and his body ready for the training of the day.

Draven looked to Travot Ravenna Travot Ravenna and patiently awaited his instructions. Definitely intrigued by the prospect of learning this form and he honestly was wondering why he had been holding off on Soresu. Perhaps it was because it all came down to timing.

Travot nodded in understanding at Draven Eterena Draven Eterena . He recalled his own first steps into using a lightsaber had been both terrifying and highly rewarding. But the fear, dangerous to a jedi if left unchecked, quickly turned to confidence the more he practiced. Travot doubled his own saber settings, making sure that the power output was low enough that in case of an accident, it would only leave a stinging sensation against bare skin. Satisfied that it was safe, Travot turned his attention to actual instruction.

"Soresu is a defensive form, thought to have developed when Jedi had to quickly learn how to defend against this new technology called blasters, if you can believe it..."

Travot himself had had a hard time as a youngling himself comprehending a galaxy without blasters...

"...but knowing this concern is important for understanding the style as a whole. The most basic elements of Soresu started out as simple maneuvers and tactics to deflect and avoid simple blaster shots. Everything else builds off of this, whether it is the defensive philosophy that Soresu is so well known for, or the highest level techniques such as accurately returning blaster bolts to their senders at long ranges or learning various ways to execute riposte against different lightsaber styles. But let's get to the very most basics, starting with the stance. I will demonstrate, starting with the feet."

With that, Travot angled his feet so that his dominant right foot pointed towards the padawan, while bringing his inner left foot to the back of his right heel. He briefly brought back that left foot several centimeters away from the right foot.

"This position does several things for us. You'll notice that it slightly angles my body at what, maybe a 45 degree angle to your own? That reduces the frontal target area that I'm presenting to you, giving you less target area for you to hit, and less target area for me to defend against. Makashi does something similar as well, but the difference between the two styles here is that angle of the rear foot is less perpendicular, and farther apart from the lead foot in Makashi. This means we have more freedom of movement of easily pivoting towards different directions to counter incoming attacks compared to Makashi, but we consequently lack the ability to do the sudden, reaching thrusts that Makashi users are famous for. Now that we've talked about the feet. Let's talk about grip."

He briefly gestured at his hand.

"Soresu can be used either one handed or two-handed, but I think it's typically best used one handed by default, especially when you're learning the style...but I'm getting ahead of myself. Notice how my hand is holding the hilt relatively close to the blade's emitter? That allows to me to make quick, fine movements in any number of directions because I can then rapidly shift the angle of the blade or catch an attack right where I want to. Go ahead and throw an attack at me with your saber, and I will demonstrate."

Draven was engrossed in the lesson. Absorbing the information he was being passed. In a level of focus Draven had not been commonly known for when it came to training with a lightsaber. Sure, he had always paid attention and worked to growth. Though it was not until recent happenings. That Draven felt drawn out to actually invest himself fully towards learning these techniques and styles. Even if what was being covered at the moment was the absolute basics.

The footwork was something Draven worked to mirror. As it was being explained to him. He took a few times to appropriately adjust his footing. Till he finally matched what his teacher was demonstrating. Though nodded his head when he was comfortable and confident he could transition back to this footing when needed.

Draven then listened about the instructions regarding the grip. Furrowing his brows some while he listened. When his teacher invited him to strike at him. Draven gave a simple nod and armed his training saber. Going for a two handed grip and positioning it to his left side angling his footing to match it pointing his lead only slightly towards the direction of his teacher.

Keeping it simple from there. Draven stepped in and brought the training Saber around in an attempt to hook his teacher's lead leg from the corresponding flank. While Draven executed his strike still being smooth in his flow. He was also putting effort into seeing how the strike was responded to with his teacher's own movement. As it would allow him to better understand the benefit of the grip, as was his teacher's intended goal.

Travot Ravenna Travot Ravenna

Travot watched as Draven Eterena Draven Eterena swung his saber towards his leg. Smart. Many opponents often went straight for the torso or the head with their blows because of the sheer mass those targets offered as well as the vital organs contained within. But the core was also much easier to protect, especially with Soresu, than the appendages. And even of the appendages, legs presented larger and usually slower targets, which made them even easier targets to hit.

Travot let Draven's blade continued unopposed until nearly the last second, when the susevfian abruptly flicked his wrist down and 'slapped' the other blade away. Travot's own blade briefly seemed to bounce off Draven's before whipping it around back to his central guard position, with the saber almost to his body's center and blade pointed to the sky.

"First off, good choice on target," said Travot, "the legs are usually easier to hit on opponent than many other targets, and an enemy who cannot move well from a leg injury is one that will have a harder time attacking you. You'll notice that your blade got fairly close to my actual body before I actually intercepted. Two reasons for that. The first is understanding where the blade's impact each other in relation to the user's grip. A two handed strike like you used is typically more powerful than a person using a one-handed grip, assuming each user's physical strength is roughly equivalent, because you're adding the power of another arm's muscle group. In order to compensate for that, I have to consider the point where I hit your blade in order to counteract it, much like a lever. If I intercept the bottom of your blade with the tip of my blade, your blow is going to be amplified. However, if I wait and position my blade so that I can bring the more bottom part of my blade against the tip of yours, I can largely offset the strength advantage of your two-handed grip because I don't have to work as great of a distance down my blade.

Secondly, Soresu keeps the blade very close to the user's body in order to better protect it against last second surprise attacks. Makashi, for instance, is infamous for using what's called a riposte, in which the angle of the thrusting attack changes at the very last second. By holding off to the last second, you can help counter surprise attacks like that which rely on you committing to a more active defense in order to create an opening for the actual attack. The other thing to consider is that Soresu itself largely evolved to help us survive against blaster users. In that context, keeping the blade close to you allows you to better move it to intercept incoming bolts that are actually going to hit your body.

Now, let me demonstrate to you how the user of Soresu conducts a basic attack. Assume a defensive stance, however you like, I'll slowly bring my saber around in attack.
"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom