Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules Update: Flashpoints axed, Conquests pending, and a note the community.

Flashpoints have been removed. We will not miss ye.

Conquests are... in a weird place, as they were never formally introduced to our rulesets, only announced. It's my current wish to axe them as they haven't be utilized by the community, but at the Staff team's request, I will be delaying that decision.

But only for a week, when [member="Valiens Nantaris"] returns, to get his input. While I formally agree there is some benefit to having them, I think the majority of the community and I can agree they have not been utilized to their full potential and are a very niche ruleset.

And that's a good segue into what I want to talk about with ya'll.

-----

It's pretty obvious the axe is dropping left and right, with my taking over the Factory recently and the current upheaval of a lot of our rulesets and mindsets on how we do things, along with the discussions of upending a lot of other things. Some people view this as an annoyance, most don't care because the core values of Chaos aren't changing. However you fall in the discussion, it's important we remember we're all just here to roleplay, everything else is just... extra.

Sure, we like our toys, but these moments of stressful destruction are necessary because I view Chaos like an episode of Hoarders. We've been around for a long while now, and comparative to most other similar communities, we're huge. For instance, one of the many problems the Admins and I are discussing is how to solve the 1000 Inactive Faction Buildup we have. Yeah, we literally have a thousand factions right now, and it's been causing some wonky database issues on the backend I've yet to fix.

Aside from our problems, though, we need room to grow moving forward. Whether it be simplifying the Factory so I can free up that manpower and those resources, or whether it be re-evaluating how the map game is played, I am always concerned with Chaos's growth because if we stop growing, we've admitted we're on another downward spiral seen oh so commonly with roleplay forums. Luckily for us, that hasn't been a problem for quite some time, but for it to not be a problem we need to continue thinking forward.

Something something volcanic ash is the most fertile soil. If we continue swinging the axe, try not to think about all the things you're losing in the present, but all the things you could gain in the future.

and remember in space nobody can hear u reeee

-T

If we have not used it, or if its so rarely used, why keep it when we could have it for something viable and valuable?

I agree. Axe everything that is not necessary, and find new ways to keep the site fresh.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Tefka said:
For instance, one of the many problems the Admins and I are discussing is how to solve the 1000 Inactive Faction Buildup we have.
Turn Factions into a simple Codex Template and recommend they get a Discord server for chat. Then you can axe factions entirely. :)

Erm. Might lose a few thousand RPs dumping the sub-forums though. Ouch. And, new Faction Owners would have to copy/paste a new faction sub every time for the eventual turnover /updates. Ya know, editing.

Jsc said:
Turn Factions into a simple Codex Template and recommend they get a Discord server for chat. Then you can axe factions entirely. :)

Erm. Might lose a few thousand RPs dumping the sub-forums though. Ouch. And, new Faction Owners would have to copy/paste a new faction sub every time for the eventual turnover /updates. Ya know, editing.

I really like this idea. You can also have the specific Codex-forum unmoderated since there's no need to add more work to the Codex staff, similar to how new factions now aren't moderated.

Alternatively, you could request a minor faction check once a quarter and remove those who do not check in, or do not check in X consecutive times.

On conquests I say we should remove them as it probably won't be used much and I can just see it causing the same amount of salt as an invasion causes if not more due to how it works.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Is it a difficult process to remove old/not used/marked for deletion factions? Can it be done in bulk? 1,000 is a lot yeah, but it might just come down to gritting teeth and getting it done.

I don't think removing factions is the answer, as suggested above by some. A lot of time and work goes into faction forums and threads, it would be a shame to lose that.

Are there options to limit creation? Something automated, like 200+ posts before having the option? Or perhaps stop new factions being created, and require an application for admin approval/creation (wherein the applicant is made faction admin)?

Faction team?

Tefka said:

...we've admitted we're on another downward spiral seen oh so commonly with roleplay forums.
The absolute truth. I've been on Role-Playing Forums for well over a decade now and this has happened to every single Forum that I've previously been so fond of. Chaos is really something special for all that it offers it's member-base, and you're right to be doing what you can in keeping this place progressing forward.

Change can often-times be daunting, but speaking only for myself here, I can get behind change when it means avoiding the decline of a site I've come to love as much as I do.

Bunker-level Normal
It's been more than a week, so this decision may have already been made and merely awaiting announcement. And it's clear from the lack of discussion that the community doesn't seem to have much passion for axing these features, so this may go unanswered.

But I'm curious to ask, why were Conquests never used by factions? Because they weren't in the ruleset? Because they were too similar to invasions? Because factions prefer to dom the hexes nearby other majors and just roll the dice on being invaded? Because of some other reason I didn't ask?

[member="Captain Jordan"]

That's an interesting question, I think a large part comes down to the fact that as you say, it's very similar to an invasion and most of the Major Factions recently have been less willing to engage confrontationally with one another. Everyone has been focused on their activity and Doms. Why risk a conquest when we can just do 2 or 3 Dom's in that time and use that to gain a map advantage or tell a story.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom