Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule of two: lazy plot device or Jedi conspiracy?

Rule of Two: Lazy Plot Device or Jedi Conspiracy?

• Lazy Plot Device

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Jedi Conspiracy

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
I like the Rule of Two. Sith Empires in eras before that rule really struggled with infighting. Like... really really struggled with infighting. The way of the Sith is to become the strongest, to extend your power as far as you can. When you have multiple Sith around they tend to fight each other just as much as Jedi and other enemies (this board is a prime example!). The Rule of Two effectively means there are no rivals for the strongest Sith to erode their power.

You can argue it's not very sustainable because both Sith can get caught in a shuttle crash or something but I think the whole point is that Sith Masters believe themselves so powerful that the only one who could defeat them would be another Sith i.e: their apprentice thus securing the Sith legacy further.

[member="Siriwook"]

Darth Revan and Darth Malak were the first to use this, during this time, there were many Sith and Dark Jedi under them that were given enough training to fight againt the Jedi and the Republic. The Rule of Two is talking about as far as Sith Lords go. There can only be TWO Sith Lords. One to hold the power, the other to crave it. The cycle works. It lasted for quite sometime. Darth Bane followed it, Darth Plaguies did, and so on so forth.

Sidious even once asked something about how Malak must of have felt when he failed the first time to take the title Dark Lord of the Sith from Revan and had his jaw cut off in the failure. It could not work here, but it would work in the universe at the time.

[member="Samka Derith"]
[member="Siriwook"]

I really like what she is saying,and exactly what I was thinking. The sith fought one another so much,that they could never focus on the Jedi. The Rule of Two advanced the sith from just being brute warriors,to the most skilled deceivers and manipulators the galaxy has ever known. They evolved,and even though one could argue that it was flawed,which it was especially after the deaths of both Palpatine and Vader. We could also say that it was one of the greatest designs for the Sith. Hell even Yoda recognized this when he faced off against Sidious in the senate building.

I honestly miss the rule of two.

I would agree with the majority thus far, the Rule of Two worked quite well.

I think it was Plagueis that started the downfall of it. Trying to live forever went directly against the meat of the rule of two. Sidious felt much the same way, he wanted to live forever and reign supreme.

Now, it might not have ever fully succeeded like they wanted it to. That would entirely depend on what they did aside from training an apprentice in the dark side. They could easily amass a lot of money and political clout from behind the scenes.

So, if there was infighting in the Sith before because of competition for ranks, then how does reducing the total number of positions that can be occupied to just two in the whole universe reduce the infighting?

Given, you can kill off all the other Sith (maybe), but their holocrons are out there, then there are the ghosts. Finally, anyone who can read could pick up a book on Sith philosophy and go and do the Sith thing.

Instead of fighting Jedi, the Sith under the rule of two spend almost all their time killing Sith.

And, every time a promotion occurs, the new Sith Lord has to recruit someone from a pool of candidates that probably know nothing about the Sith.

Institutional knowledge alone must be very difficult to pass down in the Sith hierarchy. The training costs, considering the turnover, are immense!

Samka Derith said:
You can argue it's not very sustainable because both Sith can get caught in a shuttle crash or something but I think the whole point is that Sith Masters believe themselves so powerful that the only one who could defeat them would be another Sith i.e: their apprentice thus securing the Sith legacy further.
Since I write a Banite myself, I'd like to offer my opinion on the subject of both Sith dying. :p

If both master and apprentice die, they were unworthy of being Sith in the first place - death is the price for failure. Someone else, someone stronger, will pick up the Sith teachings and continue. And that's what Sith are all about :lol:

The rule of two is definitely not without flaws, but I would take it above the rule of one anytime honestly. The sith only failed in the empire era because sidious was an arrogant idiot that not only killed his master in his sleep but also purposeful reduced vaders strength so that it could never match his. That is not what the rule is about, a master has to accept that death is an inevitable part of the sith legacy and the only way to make sure that the next generation is even stronger than those before. Worked pretty well for a while, but sith a simply to selfish to keep any rule or order intact forever I guess.

I personally chose to have Abyss believe in a reduced version of the rule of two: Many of the original rule of two people believed that the dark side was somewhat limited and that only when there are exactly two sith they could really use all of it, what is kinda ... wrong I guess. Abyss doesn't care about the other sith, and he doesn't seek to kill them all, as long as they don't stand in his way. His dream concept would basically be a collection of master apprentice pairs that only loosely if even work together.

Darth Abyss said:
The sith only failed in the empire era because sidious was an arrogant idiot that not only killed his master in his sleep but also purposeful reduced vaders strength so that it could never match his.
Did Sidious really do this? I always thought it was clear that it was never Sidious' intention for Vader to get so maimed. He clearly wanted Anakin because he had the potential to be the most powerful Force user in the galaxy. Anakin getting nearly burned to death and becoming a cyborg was never part of the plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom