Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech RSTA-3 STASIS Entropic Field Webifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

o9OqbpJ.png

R S T A - 3
S T A S I S

"Some say that the fate of the Galaxy is entropy, the slow dying out of all energy. Although morbid, Project: STASIS drew on that concept as inspiration for our latest product."

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create an entropy field webifier for the closed market.
  • Image Source: N/A
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Comprehensive ship sensor integration
  • Limited Sensor Jammer Capabilities
    • Scrambles and disrupts targeted navigational systems
  • Entropic Field Generator
    • Creates a targeted web that slows the inertia of an affected ship
    • Closer target proximity to webber results in stronger field, quicker slow time
    • Capable of holding a ship in place
  • Only capable of targeting capital ships and above
    • Small craft do not have a large enough profile for the entropy field to lock onto.
STRENGTHS
  • Entropic Field: The RSTA-3 is able to slow the inertia of a targeted ship, with the potential to render it immobile after a short period of time.
  • Larger Ships: Ships with more mass will more easily slow targets with large momentum.
WEAKNESSES
  • Capital Ships Only: The webifier cannot lock onto small craft of any kind.
  • Range & Power Scaling: The webifier has the standard range of a tractor beam. Similarly, the more momentum a target has, the less effect the webifier will have.
  • Not a Tractor Beam: The stasis webifier can only slow the inertia of a target, not draw it closer to the host shop like a conventional tractor beam.
DESCRIPTION
Tractor beam technology is about as ubiquitous as hyperdrives when it comes to starship components. Although effective, tractor beam technology has its own limitations that reduce its practicality in interstellar warfare for all but the largest capital ships. Thus, Roble Manufacturing set out to reinvent the wheel, so-to-speak, and the RSTA-3 STASIS Entropic Field Webifier was born; a variant of a tractor beam in design, the webifier is meant to slow a ship's inertia altogether rather than pull it in a specific direction.

The RSTA-3 STASIS Entropic Field Webifier seeks to remedy this by delivering a practical platform from which naval captains can engage in the unconventional warfare offered by the theory of a tractor beam’s potential. Zeroing in in the ability to reduce a ship’s inertia to zero, the webifier projects an entropic field that is designated to slow a ship until it is essentially immobile. While not able to pull a ship closer like a tractor beam, the webifier is able to affect targets with a larger mass than itself; a corvette would theoretically be able to slow a star destroyer with the webifier equipped.

However, the propulsion systems of the target in question factor into the webifier’s effective as, as a ship with extremely strong acceleration and/or a potent afterburner can escape the effective range of the webifier before it can take full effect. Lastly, the webifier cannot fully lock onto any small craft, making it ineffective against starfighters and similar-sized targets.

Altogether, the Project: STASIS sought out to do what tractor beams could not; become a form of conventional warfare than shakes the meta in what is desirable from a warship. It is an extremely potent tool in the right hands, and a valued part of any ship’s arsenal.

Last edited:
HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge
Alban Roble Alban Roble

Very cool technology! I just have one request, please modify the descriptions to it may able, etc, so to conditional mode. Because always the opponent decide about the effect, and your desciption sounds like it is not give any freedom to the opponent, it is easy to abuse it. And please add one more weakness to your weakness list, where you explain how the enemy can defend itself against it, for example what kind of technology is good against it, which is not just the speed.

MANIAC MANIAC

My bad, conditional verbiage has been added. Also added a weakness for countering the EWAR part of the webifier, but would you agree that it’s alright to leave the entropic field as is in terms of countermeasures? I think it adds more value to the speed rating in the factory and shakes up the “high armament/defense, low speed/maneuverability” ship meta in an actual tangible way. It’s still able to be countered just not through the conventional defense stat and allows speedy ships more time to shine.

Alban Roble Alban Roble

This submission was recently brought to my attention and after reading it through several times it doesn't appear to have any canon nor real-world basis. While Star Wars is built on a basis of pseudo-science, this submission doesn't appear to have a rationale behind it.

You are welcome to resubmit the submission whenever you wish, after providing a basis upon which it is built and balancing it accordingly.

John Locke John Locke | MANIAC MANIAC

This is ready to be moved back to Technology Creation for live judging. It's essentially a tractor beam variant that slows a ship's inertia instead of moving them around in space. For balance I've removed its EWAR capabilities to mess with a target's navigational systems.

Alban Roble Alban Roble

Before I move it back, please show canon or real-world evidence that a tractor beam can be used in this way. According to the wookie, "A tractor beam was a projected force field used by spaceports, planetary bases, space stations, and starships to effectively grasp and guide vessels to a safe designated landing."

What you are describing here is not within the scope of the tractor beam technology within star wars as described.

John Locke John Locke

It’s an evolution of the basic idea of tractor beams which affect the inertia/direction of a a ship traveling. Theoretically with a tractor beam if a ship is moving in the opposite direction of where you want it to go, a tractor beam would slow the ship until it’s velocity reaches zero before it crosses into negative velocity relative to the ship’s initial vector. All this is doing is slowing the ship to a velocity of zero, essentially the first half of a tractor beam’s mechanics. The submission is not breaking any factory rules — it conforms to general Star Wars pseudoscience and follows the same relative principle of velocity manipulation as a tractor beam — and it’s also fairly balanced as there a number of easy ways provided for the technology to be countered.

x - though I personally disagree with the notion that submissions in the factory have to be explicitly spelled out in canon because that’s hardly the case, here’s the best canon reference that I can find. Both a ship that uses a tractor beam on larger ships and would realistically be using said tractor beam to slow those larger ships. In the video clip here x (at roughly the 0:55 mark) the operators of the ship specifically state “We’re going to have a hard time slowing her down” indicating that slowing ships down is a routine application of the technology, essentially cementing the canon parallels for this submission. This webifier is essentially a fancy dumbed down version of that.

Last edited:
So then, is this a Tractor beam that shuts off once a ship has been reduced to stillness? Or a new system, a web that can slow a ship to zero?

I've looked through your example, and I have to disagree, this is not within the feel or idea of star wars.

Ships travelling through space have momentum, and a tractor beam doesn't just siphon off that momentum, you're forced to use your engines to counter it. A ship, such as the tug in your example,, when engaging with a heavier ship would not magically slow it down, but would have to fire its engines in the opposite direction from the ship, effectively using its own momentum to counter it. A large ship, such as a Star Destroyer, has sufficient mass and momentum that stopping a smaller ship, such as a freighter, would make no perceptible difference to it. A freighter, however, would have to engage its engines for a significant time to bring the star destroyer to a halt. it is due to the conservation of momentum described above that the technology described is not in keeping with the spirit of star wars as set out in the video you provided, at both the 16-second and the one-minute mark the ships are pulling against the momentum of the larger ship but are having a tough time burning off enough energy to slow it down.

If this is an application of tractor technology it would need to work off the same principles as tractors have been seen to show in the rest of the universe.

though I personally disagree with the notion that submissions in the factory have to be explicitly spelled out in canon because that’s hardly the case, here’s the best canon reference that I can find.

While I appreciate that, the factory looks to canon and real world examples and will continue to do so.

Alban Roble Alban Roble

John Locke John Locke

The submission accounts for the physics of momentum in it's weaknesses, while including range as another modifying factor that reduces the effectiveness of the technology making it even weaker compared to true tractor beams in that sense.

Range & Power Scaling: The further away a target is, the less of an effect the entropic field will have. Similarity, the stronger acceleration a target has, the less effect the webifier will have.

The technology is designed so that ships that are generally faster will have an easier time of resisting this technology. I can reword it so it specifically mentions momentum rather than speed, given that momentum includes mass as well as speed so it falls in line with tractor beam technology without any grey area. If I do that, will that resolve any dispute about the functionality and "Star-Wars"-y feel of this submission?

Alban Roble Alban Roble

It's a good start.

In order to bring it in line with the spirit of star wars you will also need to do the following.

1. Range: Tractor beam technology means that a ship has to use its own momentum to counter that of others, that means that the technology can't have a significant range since it will need to be connected to the ship engaging it. Its range should be limited to that of a tractor beam, although it can be an aura like field within that area so it can affect multiple craft, though that would stress it more.

2. Size Matters: As pointed out above, a small craft will not be able to easily slow down a larger craft do the mass difference. This will need to be accounted for in the submission.

Alban Roble Alban Roble

I have moved this submission back to the judging forum since we are involved in a judgement process.

In regards to the range, I think you're misunderstanding what I mean, so I'll try to be clearer.

Your weakness speaks of a weakened field at 20km, however, tractor beams do not have that range. Since this is an offshoot of tractor beam technology then please reduce the range that the system is able to affect other ships at to something more in line with tractor technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom