Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech MRS-04D Omvendt Ablative Inertial Damper

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxresdefault_2.gif

O M V E N D T

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create an ablative inertial damper for the closed market.
  • Image Source: N/A
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source:
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Nullifies the kinetic energy of external impacts.
  • Can be added as an underlayer to existing hulls and armors.
  • Modular design allows the ablative inertial damper to cover as large or small area as necessary.
STRENGTHS
  • Inertial Damper: The Omvendt, much like a standard inertial damper, nullifies the kinetic energy of external impacts. This gives the ablative inertial damper the capability to greatly reduce the stopping power of kinetic-based weapons and impacts.
  • Modular Size: The Omvendt can be installed on armor plates of all size, from the hulls of massive battlecruisers to chest plates of individual armor pieces.
WEAKNESSES
  • Armor Layer: The Omvendt is a thin layer of mostly electronics, meaning that to be effective it must be paired with armored plating, and its effectiveness is also proportional to the strength of that armor.
  • Size and Strength: Although it can be installed on a number of differently-sized areas, the maximum kinetic energy that the Omvendt can potentially disperse is proportional to the size of the accompanying generator. Essentially, a battlecruiser with the damper installed can nullify a much stronger force than a chest plate.
DESCRIPTION
The MRS-04D Omvendt Ablative Inertial Damper is a new line of anti-kinetic defensive system produced by Roble Manufacturing that, while ambitious in nature, is simple in design and concept. The Omvendt is essentially a repurposed inertial damper, a universal technology found in starships that nullifies the effect of acceleration and the physical side-effects (which would often be fatal) that the rapid accelerations starships experience would have on an organic body.

The Omvendt takes that technology and turns it into a defensive emplacement, using it to nullify the kinetic energy displaced by external impacts. This can be from kinetic rounds, such as ballistics from a firearm or mass-driver, or larger and slower impacts like a headbutt from a charging beast or a colliding asteroid. This helps a starship nullify the damage from those rounds, but the caveat is that the Omvendt at the end of the day is a thin layer of electronics, and its functionality is very dependent on the strength of the armor its attached to. If you instal the Omvendt on flimsiplast, for example, it will not turn the material into super-strong resistant armor. The capabilities of the ablative inertial damper are also dependent on the power generator of the Omvendt, meaning small ablative inertial dampers found on objects such as chest plates will not have the same potential as those installed on capital ships.

All in all, the Omvendt is meant to be a game-changer when it comes to defensive technology, and will surely see heavy use in many different armors in the years to come.

Last edited:
Alban Roble Alban Roble

Neat piece of tech that's only as good as the ship/armour it's installed on; I see nothing wrong with the concept itself, in fact I quite like it, but seeing as your Sybarium Crystals are currently archived, you will either need to remove them or request them pulled from the Archives.

If you believe you can do this promptly I am willing to wait, but if not I would suggest requesting this be sent back to Pre-Factory in your reply, you will then be able to work on it at your leisure. Please also note that you are missing the "Market Status" field between "Affiliations" and "Model". Since the templates are nonnegotiable it must be included even if your "Affiliation" is "Closed-Market" or "Open-Market".

Alban Roble Alban Roble

Excellent. I can't actually approve this until it's in Pre-Factory, but I Watched the crystals so that I can proceed immediately when that happens.

In the meantime, your "anti-kinetic defensive weaponry" phrasing might be a mistake, since this is purely defensive technology. Obviously more of a nitpicky thing than a Review issue - you can change it should you so desire, but it's hardly necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom