Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Risk/Reward: The Black Sands of Lah'mu (open)

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
Lahmu_Databank.jpeg

Lah'mu
Extremely remote planet...
...in Sith Empire territory

"Bawwk," said Quekko.

Jerec grunted and hefted the last crate of tephra up the freighter's ramp. "Yeah, yeah, lend a hand if you feel such an urge to get moving."

His first mate was an Apokka: a round little avian shorter than Jerec's knee. Apokka had no hands. Quekko scuttled up the ramp, pecked Jerec's boot in passing, and dodged a halfhearted kick. He'd be heading to the cockpit to peck his way through the preflight sequence. The Infinity's Free had shut down for the past day while they waited for their contact, or they wouldn't need a preflight at all. A shutdown had kept them off Imperial scanners. Now that the cargo was aboard, though, it was time to scuttle down praedium switchbacks to the nearest neutral system, and also pray.

The payoff would be pretty great, though, as Quekko had reminded him more than once. Someone somewhere had decided that the volcanic contaminant called tephra had value. The locals filtered it out of their groundwater as an inert but foul-tasting contaminant.

So every one of the sixty-three crates in his hold contained spent, permeated filters.

Quekko rawked from the cockpit. Jerec set the last crate down hastily and didn't bother to strap it in. His hand froze near the hatch controls. "What? Someone coming? Who's it look like?"

Despite her size Ay wasn't weak, well more like her cybernetic exoskeleton wasn't but for anyone looking at her it would seem as if the short women was a power house. It would probably seem strange for said person with such equipment to be doing a menial task like this bit it was a personal option. It allowed her to lay low and avoid anyone trying to make her back into some sort of personal living weapon, as of now Ay was doing things her way and how she wanted... even if no outward emotion ever seemed to be expressed from her.

Said current job being apart of a freighter crew like many other times, manual labor and if needed defense against any would be pirates was apart of the job description. Simple to the point and most of the time far away from any real danger... except for today, a planet in Sith space was wasn't exactly ideal, but alas her boss said otherwise. A simple risk vs reward, high pay for sticking their necks out, nothing out of the ordinary but Sith were a very varying factor.

So far things had gone okay but just as the last box was loaded things went south. "Observation, if there is someone knowledgeable about our location the probability of them being hostile is high". "Question, am I permitted to use lethal force again said individuals upon their arrival? or are we to resolve this matter diplomatically"?

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Ay Ge Ay Ge was a really, really good crew member when it came to loading heavy things. Less good when it came to not creeping Jerec out, but her creepiness had its benefits sometimes, like when they owed people money. Hot, too, which opened doors.

"Qualification: if it's some random civvy farmer, no. Authorization: If they look sideways at us at ALL, ventilate them."

Jerec sealed the ramp and headed for the nearest gun turret, mostly for a better view. The Infinity's Free didn't have much in the way of weapons.

Lucien wiped away a disgusting mixture of grim and oil from his hands and face after spending the past hour beneath his starfighter. He was wrapping up a bit of maintenance on Midnight when his R-4 droid came up to him and chimed at him in binary. "Eh?" He raised up a brow as his droid companion protested Luc's allowing of Midnight to be shoved into the cramped-up hangar. "It was either this, or leave her behind. I'm sure you and I both know that wasn't happening." He finished his sentence with a smirk, the droid responding a chime that signaled its defeat.

He grabbed his jacket off one of wings and slipped it back on, a hand grazing across the top of the R-4's mechanical cranium. "Don't sweat it, buddy. You'll get use to it after a while." The R-4 had a unique personality, and it was genuinely the closest thing he had to a friend. Hundreds of years of operation in service to Jedi had cultivated a rather affluent personality in the droid. After entering into his service on-board his master's personal star yacht, the Infinity's Free left much for the droid to be desired. At the very least, Luc enjoyed the change of pace from his old routine.

Leaving the R-4 to its own devices in the hangar, Luc made his way towards the loading bay to see if there was anything they needed done. He had a number of skills that could benefit the crew, but he'd settled on offering up a mixture of muscle and piloting skills. Luc made it to the entrance of the bay in tandem with Jerec exiting and heading for the nearest turret. His lips perched into a grin as he spotted Ay Ge Ay Ge and gave her a friendly nod. He spun around on his heel and followed behind Jerec, his hands swaying as they rested comfortably inside his jacket pockets. "I get the feeling that this is no longer going to be an easy milk-run." Lucien said, his observation aimed towards no-one in particular despite his proximity to Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr . Afterwards he leaned against the wall next to the gunner's turret and waited for the captain's observation.

Last edited:
Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku

Jerec settled into the turret's chair without strapping in and squinted out the canopy. "This was never gonna be a milk run, Duke," he said grimly. "Not this deep in the Empire's armpit. The cargo might be vanilla but it's the thought that counts: they're death on smuggling no matter what's in the box."

He toggled the comms. "Quekko, where are we on that preflight?"

"BUCKAWW."

"Well MAKE it turn over!"

Ay Ge Ay Ge

Once more no real reaction came from Ay at Jerec's orders, "Acknowledged". Herself proceeding to stand near the entrance of the freighter with her enemy bow armed and ready. At the speed they were getting ready to take off at it was unlikely the incoming party would make it in time. A small nod being returned to Lucien as he too walked past but other then that the pale women kept watch over the flat plains making up most of the planet before retreating further inside. "Question, am I to mount one of the weapon systems, or do I have separate order"?

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku

Ay Ge Ay Ge
Jerec glanced away from the horizon and twisted to call back down the gunwell.

"Kid, I am eighteen kinds of certain you could take down everyone aboard without breaking a sweat, me included. Whatever you think is best, go nuts. Just stay aboard, whatever you do. Quekko's almost done preflight and then we're gonna lift unless there's a compelling reason to not."

The freighter hummed to life, finally. Quekko had done his job.

Luc pushed off the wall with a grin, then began sauntering in the direction of the cockpit. "I'm heading to the cockpit to give Quekko a hand!" He yelled across his shoulder with a lax two-finger salute aimed in Jerec's direction. He only caught the unintentional pun once he was out of earshot.

As for the incoming visitors, there wasn't any need to assist Ay with dealing with any threat yet. The Captain trusted her skill, and for Luc that was more than enough to make him feel good. Then again, he found it hard at first applying the same logic to the bird currently pecking its way through the ship's pre-flight sequence. His opinion gradually changed over time, but there were few things he'd encountered in his adventures across the galaxy that amazed him even more than the intelligent little avian.

He parked himself in the co-pilot's chair a few seconds after Quekko brought the ship back to life. "Leave it to the beak to get us ready in a jiffy!" Credit was deserved where it was due, and the look of amazement plastered across his face probably said it all. Luc opened up his comms after he settled himself down. "We're looking good up here, Captain. We can blast out of here whenever you're ready."

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Ay Ge Ay Ge

Last edited:
Ay cocked her head to the side at the phrase 'go nuts', processing it's meaning for a few seconds, "Realization, in this form the context for nuts does not refer to the consumable food item but the mental well being of a person, I understand". Certain 'saying' and sarcasm often confused Ay, it made for some awkward conversations in the past. "For the time being I will remain on stand by in case of a boarding party, once flight has bee achieved I will mount one of the freighters defensive armaments to ward of any fighters". So far she hadn't sensed if any Sith or other force users were coming, who ever was on their way could hopefully be dealt with, but there was always the chance who ever was coming hid their force signature.

Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Last edited:
Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku Ay Ge Ay Ge

"Okay, I'm not liking the look of this but no shots fired and no white armor yet." Jerec slid out of the gun turret. "Quekko, Duke, get us out of the world."

"Buckaww!"

The Infinity's Free bounced off the black sand beach and clawed for space. Jerec made a beeline for the nearest terminal and keyed up the sensor readouts.

"Not seeing any Sith patrols but there's what looks like a Mando corvette coming around the moon at us. I'm not feeling this. Ay Ge, take my turret. See if you can keep him off us until we can make a jump."

Luc pushed off the seat once the Infinity's Free broke free from the atmosphere, his hands sliding off the control panel after confirming the freighter's autopilot systems were activated. "She's ready for you to take over, Cap! I'm headed for the second set of guns." Luc sounded off over the comms, the sound of his boots striding across the metal floors reverberating down the corridor as he made course for the second gun turret adjacent from the already claimed station.

He was relieved that their uninvited guests had not been a proper Sith patrol, which he knew would've meant that there were more of their kind sniffing around the system. On the other hand, he wasn't particularly interested in sticking around long enough for the Mando'a to get the bright idea of blasting their freighter to bits, or worse, boarding them in force. Not to say that he didn't enjoy the occasional violent scrap with the Beskar-clad warriors. He simply disliked fighting at a clear disadvantage, which the lot of them truly were at with the Infinity's Free being as lightly armed as it was.

Thankfully their Captain was smart enough to know when to pick the right battles to fight. Luc slid into the turret and strapped himself into the chair as he got to work connecting the turret's targeting software with his AR-integrated contact lenses. Even if they couldn't destroy the ship, he'd damn well make sure they regretted interfering with their 'business'.

Last edited:
"Acknowledged", forging her current task she quickly took control of the frigates turret, eyeing up the incoming ship as it moved around the moon. "Query, are not the Mandalorians enemies of the Sith Empire due to the recent invasion"? "Hypothesis, perhaps they too are here for personal business, it may be possible to avoid a fight at all if we are careful". That or they were a splinter fanatic group that still obeyed the Empire like puppets, with so many clans each with their own leaders it was hard to know.

As her red gaze continued to scan the distance ship it became clear each party had spotted each other. Just then she remembered another side of Mado's raids or neo crusaders, the type to attack anyone and anything in the name of glorious battle. "Observation, captain it seems as though the corvette is turning toward us, permission to open fire"?

Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku

Jerec settled into the pilot's seat and suddenly all was right with the world. Quekko chirped a comment on what Ay Ge Ay Ge had just said.

"No, you're right, everyone hold fire unless they shoot first. Quekko and I are spooling up the hyperdrive but it'll take a minute-"

The comms crackled. "Freighter Infinity's Free, this is Supercommando Gal Kad of the Manda'yaim Independent Liberation Front. Surrender your ship and cargo-"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry-"

Quekko brrawked the Apokka equivalent of 'don't do it, you idiot.'

"-but is your acronym seriously MILF?"

The corvette opened fire.

Lucien couldn't hold back the laughter that exited his lips following Jerec's witty reply to their Mandalorian pursuers. "Looks like our friends don't appreciate a solid sense of humor." He said with a laugh over the crew's shared comms. Lasers emanating from the pursuing corvette filled his vision, the AR-lenses tracking the individual salvos moments before the initial bursts raked across the hull or shot wide of the Infinity's Free.

He reciprocated their hostility with a handful of controlled bursts of his own. Luc's eyes darted across the blackness between them and the Mandalorian vessel, his eyes eventually able to acquire a target onto one of the enemy's turrets that were their main cause of concern. "Let's give you a taste of your own bacta!" Luc slammed down on the triggers, releasing a pinpoint burst of lasers directly over one of the turrets. Had it not been for the corvette's shields, the gunner would've been crispier than a well-done bantha steak.

Though no laughter came from Ay she too chipped in on the comment made by Jerec. "Milf, definition, a common acronym associated with that of an attractive older women, in this context used as an insult towards a often proud and dominantly male band of fighters... hilarious". She had to wonder why this group would willingly use such name, perhaps in their native tongue it sounded different. Something to run a diagnostic on in the future, her attention being drawn away as the ship was rattled by a series of incoming blaster fire from the corvette.

"Targeting enemy senor arrays". With the focus of a machine Ay quickly aimed the turret towards the enemies main senor dish, pumping out controlled accurate burst of laser fire.

Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku Ay Ge Ay Ge

Things were looking good, which had to be wrong. The Infinity's Free had great legs but wasn't much in a fight, even with guns manned by a Serreno noble and a...well, whatever Ay Ge was; Jerec didn't ask. Running very much still seemed like the best move.

Until a proton torpedo crashed through the shields and red lights went up all over the hyperdrive.

"Folks, we just lost lightspeed. Looks...bad. Very bad." He squinted at the sensor readouts. "But we've got a shot. That's an old Xerob-class. It's got just a few dozen people aboard and it masses about as much as we do. I'm thinking we play dead, turn on the old battle droids in the back hold, and counter-board. What you kids say? Wanna play pirate?"

Lucien barely managed out another laugh between his steady stream of laser fire and the impending proton torpedo that rocked their ship far more violently than the corvette's previous strafes. The impact shook him in his seat, but thankfully the straps kept him from careening into anything important.

"Folks, we just lost lightspeed. Looks...bad. Very bad."

Luc vented a sigh out in annoyance. They didn't go for the kill just yet, which only meant that his previous predictions regarding being boarded were started to look more likely. He opened up a channel to the R-4 droid he'd left with Midnight in the shuttle bay. "R-4, I need you to slot yourself in Midnight and power her systems up quietly. No Engines, yet. But if you and Midnight come under direct threat-" He paused.

The worst case scenario was for the Captain's ploy to not work on the Mandalorian warriors. Or alternatively for their ship to end up commandeered in the process. "Blow a hole through the blast doors and vent everything that breathes." The droid chimed back to him with reluctant acceptance, though its response was more along the lines of 'don't get killed in the process you idiot'.

He unstrapped himself out of the gunner's seat and moved with a bit more urgency to rejoin with Jerec and Ay. Along the way he unhooked the strap keeping his leg-holster sealed, then removed his jacket, tying it around his waist and freeing his shoulder-holsters from the constraints of the stylish Serrenoan jacket that usually concealed them. The ornate Sith dagger hung on one side, while the charcoal-colored lightsaber hilt was revealed in the other. He usually kept the latter concealed from most people, but he didn't have time to be discreet with the threat of close-quarters combat with Mandalorians on the horizon. "Cutting the snake off by the head?" Luc said as he joined up with Jerec. "It seems better than the alternative option of letting them try it to us." He smirked.

Ay shielded her eyes as the torpedo impacted, the electronics within the turret sparking violently from the attack. Nothing major but it looked as if the weapon wouldn't be functioning anytime soon. Retreating from the fighting position she regrouped with the rest of the crew, dis-guarding her heavy winter jacket to the side, the cybernetic enhancements on her lower arms legs now viable. The rest of her body covered in a loss fitting black shirt and leggings of sorts, no doubt hiding more mechanical additions.

Reaching into one of the nearby lockers Ay grasped onto the scabbard of her custom phick vibro sword, attaching it to her hip along with the energy bow from before. "Question, shall I make my way into the ships ventilation system and pick the enemy boarding party off one by one, leaving them confused and afraid? or shall I accompany you in a more traditional defensive pattern"?

Ay Ge Ay Ge Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku
"Hey, you're the expert. You think it's safe, do your thing. Just watch yourself. And Quekko's coming with you - he fits great."

The hull vibrated as the old Xerob clamped against it, ship to ship. Jerec finished strapping a modified blaster to Quekko's round little body. He dug through a side compartment for his own weapon and produced a Dash Kessler Dash Kessler Arc Light ionic concussion blaster that he'd bought and never got around to using in a fight.

"Duke, you're with me. Let's form up with the droids before the Mandos blow the hatch."

Fourteen mismatched old battle droids wouldn't last long against Mandos. Fourteen droids and two spacers, each with their tricks and their secrets...nope, not long either. Not unless Ay Ge and Quekko made a really serious dent deeper in the Mando ship, and fast.

Last edited:
"Stay frosty, Ay." Luc said with a grin as he wished her luck in his own way. A thumbs-up went towards Quekko, and although he didn't give the bird any nice words along with it, somehow Luc had a feeling that he'd pull through. He was capable of more than your average spacer would give him credit for, that was for sure.

As for himself, Luc was more than comfortable with the mission that Jerec assigned him to. The two of them were a Trojan horse, so to speak. Or was Ay the Trojan horse? He shrugged the thought away with a click of the safety on his DC-15s sidearm. The droids were reliable as a barrier of fodder, and he was certain that more than a few of the boarders would fall during their initial assault. He'd make sure of that much, though his main concern was allowing the Mandalorians to seize the momentum and overwhelm their position.

Once Jerec was ready to get things moving, Luc shuffled behind one of the larger droids to conceal as much of his silhouette as possible. With his blaster in hand, he'd give a final nod to his Captain.

Ay Ge Ay Ge Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom