Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remembrance For The Brave

Sleet hailed down from above, soaking her furs and setting a shiver to her body. That, or the fact that she chose a path through Thainbroek which still bore houses in a sorry state of repair caused it.

She had not been home long, a couple of days at most, and while Felix was happy amidst the snow Mysa could think of just one thing. Crowseye.

On the eve of battle she had met the young hunter, and now she had no idea if he had survived or not. That left an empty pit in her stomach, although she had only known him for an hour or so.

Now, she stood on the steps which led up to a ram-shackled house, clearly in the middle of repairs. The name Crowseye was etched into a supporting beam just above the door. Mysa chewed her lip. Was this right of her? To infringe on the privacy of another, for what? Someone who likely didn't even remember her?

She doubted his Papa wanted to be disturbed so needlessly.

It took her several minutes, and a few light nudges from Felix, before her fist would rain down on the door in three light knocks.

Silence from within. Perhaps no one was home?

Mysa turned, gesturing for Felix to follow. The cub had grown a little since the battle, but not drastically. The connection between he and Mysa, however, had blossomed. They did not leave one anothers side.

[member='Gideon Crowseye']

Gideon Crowseye

G
The silence from within was absolute, but the noise from a trio of large men as they brought up timber on sleds was not so silent as they turned towards the house. While it was obvious quickly none of them were Gideon, it was equally obvious they were of his blood. Growing silent as they noticed the girl at their door the oldest, a grizzled man with a rather ugly scar across his face. From it's shade of ugly purple there could be no doubt it was fresh from the recent battle. Giving a small bow of respect there could be no doubt the man knew who she had to be. There weren't many people on Midvinter who weren't natives, or at least physically native, and that made the Princess particularly easy to point out in a crowd. Well as long as she wasn't standing in one, then she was just impossible to see in a sea of giants.

Gideon's elder brothers stayed a step behind waiting patiently while their father spoke. "Greetings, Your Highness, my house is honored by your presence. I shall give thanks to the Gods this day for that, how can my family be of aid to you?" His voice was thick and deep, and his words a bit slowly paced. He was a man who thought over every word and considered them heavily even as he spoke, a man who spoke rarely out of turn or emotionally. Behind him Gideon's two elder brothers simply stood silently seeming a bit thrown off at their father's realization of who their guest was. Both though almost instantly bowed as their father did, and did so lower still then he.

[member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

It took her but a moment to spot the trio in the dwindling crowd of the City. She took note of who they were, their faces a dead giveaway - had anyone looked so much like their family? - and began to smile until they looked her way. The eldest dipped into a bow, which had Mysa's face pale considerably though her cheeks coloured brightly.

Why was it that she could not go more than two steps in this place without being recognized.

Felix nuzzled around her ankles, giving her a small amount of comfort, as the giant of a man spoke. Such formalities, she despised them. Truly she did.

"My name is Mysa" she quietly stated, the blush having set in so brilliantly that it even ran along the tops of her ears, "Please... Stand tall and speak freely, Sers."

She hated it when the other two, likely brothers to the man she was looking for, hastily bowed. As though they had to. As though she meant anything in the grand scheme of things. She was the orphan girl before she was the Princess. A guest on this land, an outsider, a nobody. Barely even had a name, not until the late High King Thrand gifted her with one.

"I'm looking for a man I met the evening before the Battle... Gideon was his name, Ser, Crowseye."

[member="Gideon Crowseye"]

Gideon Crowseye

G
With a rough smile Gideon's father nodded as she asked after his son. "Well, your Highness, he was due back last night, but the boy has no mind for time when he's on the trail. Needed a bit of extra leather and fur this time though, lots of repairs to do still from the fighting. Fire took half the house before we put it out, but she's coming back together nicely. It be our honor though if, your Highness, would join us for dinner? It isn't near as good as the King's table I'm sure, but with as much hunting as Gideon does we're always fairly stocked."

As he asked he herded the boys inside and somehow her up with the group of them leaving the lumber behind them in piles as they went. The inside of the house fared no better then the outside, but it was quickly shaping up with a constant stream of repairs and attention of the ladies of the house. The house itself contained at least half a dozen rooms branching off the first, most of them small but a few showed some depth. "Three generations all under one roof, it was two but my wife's father didn't make it through the fighting, and we couldn't let the lady live alone. My eldest here have both already started their own little houses here."

Turning his eyes to the two boys who both looked proud and a bit sheepish at the same time he gave them a look that pure jest. "Of course, one of these days they'll make their own hearth so I don't have to wake up to all that wailing, won't you boys?" Laughing before they could even respond it would take almost no time to notice the look he gave his grandchildren to realize if it was up to him they'd never get to building their own hearths.

Your Highness.

She had to resist the urge to wince. While Mysa understood fully the traditions of this land, it did not make them any easier to stomach when they were directed to herself. Do not disrespect them, Mysa. Do not undermine their rites. It is true, you are the King's child... Accept that and move on. She did not wish to hear that title all day though.

"Please, Ser... I would prefer it if you would call me Mysa. And of course I would love to join you, provided there is something I can do to contribute." Valkyri tradition held bartering above any sort of coin. And if you could not pay for your meal, you bloody well found a way to help out. She had learned a lot during her travels to the Mountains with Coci, and this was one such thing.

Not that she had a choice. She was herded inside before the words had left her mouth, and found herself inside a most beautiful homestead. Mysa adored the Valkyri style and architecture, there was just something about it that made her feel safe and secure. Home.

Her cheeks flushed just a touch to the mention of nighttime wailing. But the moment was over just as soon as it had appeared, and soon her face was alive with a smile.

Gideon Crowseye

G
Little did Gideon know as he traveled homeward what would await him, or at least what would have transpired in his absence. Several kills weighed down his sled as his team pulled them all towards the warmth and shelter of home. It was more then he usually sought out, but skins and fur were needed he was told, so furs and skins he brought.

Back home though little Mysa was quickly deposited with the woman as his father bowed one more time, though this time with a bit of glimmer in his eyes that spoke more of jest then simple cold respect to her title. "Of course, we can always use another set of hands somewhere I'm sure. By the way I may have assumed over much in that my son gave you his father's name. If not I am Colborn, and this dear lady is my wife Yri," points to a rather small woman by her people's standard who rather patiently worked at sewing furs together. As her husband spoke her name she looked up almost surprised it seemed to see him there.

"Old crow, don't you have work to do outside? Leave the poor girl to me, Gideon won't be back till tonight anyway so you'll have plenty of time to bother her later." Her voice was rather soft and her tone sweet as she moved her eyes to Mysa. "So tell me, Lass, you know how to mind a hearth or do some sewing?"

Oh, this man was toying with her! The glint in his eyes spoke of it, and that had Mysa unceremoniously grinning like a fool. This world was so freeing! Sometimes she forgot how much so, until she left for the wider Galaxy, but the morals and traditions were so humbling and genuine...

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ser" she said, when he finally gave his name, mimicking his bow with a coy curtsy of her own. She just about held back a snicker to the woman's words, and watched as he was shoo'd from the room.

Taking a couple of steps forward, she stopped before the Lady of the House and gave a nod of her head. "Yes, My Lady, I know of both." Here on Midvinter everybody pulled their weight, regardless of their status. Regardless of where they lived, and where they were from.

Gideon Crowseye

G
Nodding to a spot next to her for Mysa to join her her voice never rose above it's soft tone. "Good, your mother has taught you well then. Now what you'll be working on is a smaller blanket, one of the grandchildren my eldest seem to think need to be made by multitudes." Stopping for just a moment she moved some of her own sewing needles and thread towards Mysa's side. Offering a small smile she reached up a hand and brushed a strand of hair from Mysa's face. "You are a pretty one aren't you? Gideon doesn't often speak of people he meets so I thought there must be something special about you. Forgot to even mention were the King's daughter until prodded into, he's a nice boy though."

Continuing to sew the skins together she stopped only for a short moment when one of the brother's wives brought them over a steaming cup. "Thank you, Gyda, kind of you my dear." Taking a long drink she sighed happily before turning back to her work. "Most like their drinks cold and mind numbing, but I think we've enough of that already. Besides it helps the cold in my bones. So tell me, child, what brings you here? Just a quick hello to check up on the boy, or did that fool actually get someone to fancy him?"

Not one to refuse the instruction of an elder, much less within their own home, Mysa took to the offered seat in a timely manner and took up the furs which had been previously laid there and set them in her lap. The mention of her Mother made the young girl frown, alas it was not her Mother at all who had taught her to sew. Neither Kära or Coci were responsible. It was Mysa's own curiosity which had tempted her into learning, back when she was in Thrand's care, long before the Heavenshields or the Hearthfires came into her life.

She had watched one of the elderly servants sewing, finding it most fascinating, and with Thrand's urging had asked to be taught. The woman had been delighted, not only was the King's Ward interested in what she had to offer, but an outsider too! Someone from the fancy worlds of instant gratification. Of course, that hadn't been the way Mysa was raised at all.

"A full house is a happy house, My Lady" she offered, with the gentlest of smiles, meeting the woman's gaze when she brushed a strand of hair from her face. Her usually pale skin turned a very delicate shade of pink to the compliment, though she knew better than to deny it. That would be rude. Instead she looked down as another woman entered, feeling a little out of place, and began to thread the needle. It only took her two attempts, and then she was off - assisting with the blanket making.

"I..." She what? Truth be told even Mysa did not know why she was here. "I was worried, when I saw no sign of him following the Battle... I wanted to make sure that he was well, My Lady. He was very kind to me on the eve' prior, helped to settle my mind. The least I could do was make sure he had survived..."

Her cheeks, however, were practically crimson.

Gideon Crowseye

G
She just nodded as she continued to move her needle through the skins slowly drawing them tighter as the seams became invisible lines beneath the fur. Her hands were sure and steady doing an act they'd mastered many years ago. "Good, so at least you've both made an impression on each other then. Its well that you sought him out, he'd have never gone up to the palace that is one thing I'm certain of. He does however seem to always take the same route home though through that small clearing, even goes a round the whole town if necessary just to do it. Going up to a castle though and asking if they can just send their princess out is a bit much for him though."

Eyeing the cloak in her hand she smiled at it as a thought occurred to her. "You know with skin that pale this might do well on you in contrast." Turning slightly and with obvious difficulty she drew the cloak around Mysa's shoulders drawing it around her shoulders. The fur was as dark as the night, and tremendously thick and warm. "I was going to make it a larger piece, but I don't have any more fur of that quality and it seems a shame to waste it with something less. As to why you didn't see the poor boy its simply because he wasn't there. He wanted to be, but the old Crow wouldn't allow it. My youngest son took most of the strength out of my body, I don't walk almost at all anymore and Gideon had already been out hunting for days for us. So he picked the boy to watch over the house and me during the battle. Turns out he was right, for once, I'd have never made it out of the fire without my little hunter."

Mysa felt a little bad when the woman explained Gideon's behaviour. Truly had she known she would've come sooner, only... "I left Midvinter for a time after the battle, My Lady, I returned home just a few days ago. Elsewise I'd have come sooner." The loss of High King Thrand Dawnbringer had left her with a gaping hole she could not fill. Her only remedy had been to travel, to give her mind something else to focus on. "I'm glad he didn't forget me..."

This was said under her breath, more so to herself than to the woman. Felix was hiding by her feet, safely tucked away and practically asleep already. Where would she be without the little ball of fur who grew stronger each day? Not together, she'd have crumpled... Yet thanks to Gideon she had a companion, something to care for.

The mention of the cloak snapped her from her thoughts, and she looked upon the jet black fur with awe. Never had she seen so deep a colour. Her own furs were brown, somewhat sunbleached with age, a gift from Thrand. She would not be rid of them for the world, however... That did not mean she was restricted to just one cloak. It would be rude of her to refuse a gift in a world of customs.

"It's beautiful..." she breathed, thumbing the thick strands and nestling down into its warmth. "Please, if there is any way that I can repay you for your kindness... Any way at all."

Gideon Crowseye

G
With a soft laugh she shook her head patting Mysa's hand, "My dear girl, kindness never need be repaid or its not simply kindness. It will please me enough to know you're warm, and it will please Gideon as well. He hunted that silly things for a week, said that it was a challenge from the Gods. His heart will swell to bursting if he sees you in it. He won't be home till after dinner, but that isn't rare for him. He takes his craft rather serious you know?"

The smell from a large pot of stew slowly cooking in the hearth filled the large home as it was long since ready simply simmering to blend everything together and tenderize. As the smell wafted outside the windows more and more frequently the men drifted in the sound of hammering and work halting more and more often as they seemed undeniably drawn to the smell.

"That right there my dear, that is the route to a man's heart. You find a good lad you want to claim and not see him wander away cook so good he never leaves." With a soft laugh she watched one of the wives shoo the men away as they started closing in around the fire with a spoon in hand. "Though as pretty as you are I doubt you'd have need of any tricks."

Her lips twitched and she felt on the verge of tears though she managed to hold herself back. Much of her life she had been without. Without place, without purpose. Then the Heavenshields had come, and she had been embraced wholeheartedly into their life. With time she came to know her birth parents... This world, it seemed, was quickly becoming her roots. At times you scorn the Gods, claim that they have taken too much... But you forget just how much they have given you, Mysa. Two families. Two mothers, two fathers... Twice as much as most.

Times like these made her realize how lucky she was. Humbling. In fact she felt rather bad for what she had thought and said the day that [member='Joon'] had appeared. The Gods had never forsaken her, they had brought her into their fold without judgement.

Her stomach growled almost as loudly as Felix did whenever he was frightened or defensive, the lovely scents only making the sensation worse. Colour once again rose into her cheeks, and she hastily resumed the construction of the blanket in her lap while listening to the Lady's words. "Ah... That is one thing I most definitely cannot do, My Lady... I can hunt, and I can cook what I hunt, but the intricacies of cooking are entirely lost on me. No doubt enough to put any man off."

She smiled innocently, in truth her mind was not on that sort of track. She had too many things to worry about that did not involve romance.

Gideon Crowseye

G
The men's siege of the kitchen eventually bore fruit as everyone sat at the table and enormous portions were handed out among the family, and Mysa. Even Felix got the end of a a juicy piece of fatty meat that hadn't made it to the pot. After a none too short prayer by Colborn who turned incredibly serious when it came to speaking with the Gods. The family then dug in with seconds and a few of the men even tried for thirds though it was obvious their eyes were bigger then their stomachs at the end. Still there was plenty of food left in the plot for Gideon later, and tomorrow evening.

As the darkness ate away at the night sky Gideon approached the house, his family drinking happily at this point in time and doing all the could to get Mysa to join them in their revelry. His younger brother went in before him while he set about at keeping his harvest chilled so he could skin it and smoke it in the morning. Entering into the house bloody, sweaty and all too wanting to clean up, eat and then sleep he missed the small form of Mysa as he entered. "Now this is a sight to come to indeed, Gods I hope the stews still warm, its been a cold night."

Mysa joined in as much as she was willing to with the evenings revelry, skimping on only the mead when it was offered, and said her own quiet prayer to the Gods when the time came. She ate her fill - barely a bowls worth, mind, but Colborn had willingly taken the rest - and petted Felix as the cub fell asleep in her lap, enjoying the new set of furs almost as much as Mysa.

By the time Gideon and his brother entered the home she was sat infront of the hearth coo'ing at one of the babes - his nephew, she figured - who was in awe of Felix and loved to wind his fingers in Mysa's braids. She wasn't used to babies, the last one she'd known had been Théo and that was years ago. She supposed she would adjust soon enough, what with a baby brother on the way.

The sound of his voice had her breath catch in her throat. Not usually a cowardly individual, Mysa actually found herself shying back out of view. The day had been wonderful and she had quite forgotten that he was to be arriving after dinner. She wasn't prepared for this. From where she sat she couldn't quite see him, she hoped the same could be said of the reverse.

But the young babe was having none of it, and crawled over to where she was sat to continue tugging and playing.

Gideon Crowseye

G
He hadn't noticed but it was as much because he left before really entering the room, the first thing on his mind was a good wash as he stripped off his clothes. Wiping the blood and sweat from his body he eagerly dived into a tub of warm water. His mother spoiled him relentlessly in this single thing and always made sure clean wash water was ready when he came home from a hunt. The ever abundant snow meant baths were not nearly as rare as they could have been on a more temperate world.

Taking only a few quick minutes he came out he came out feeling fresh and quite invigorated as he entered into the common room. His hunger kept him from noticing staring eyes as they welcomed him home, but that didn't last more then a moment. His mother's soft voice floated through the room, "You have a guest, and a lovely one at that. She's spent most of the day helping me hem and sew, quite a talent actually."

Following his mother's eyes he found Mysa with his nephew quite literally climbing her, with a startled half laugh he jumped forward and embraced her joy overtaking sensibility for a moment. "I wasn't expecting this, and you gave her the fur, looks amazing mother. I'm so glad to see you!" His words were a rush and after a quick moment he let go realizing he was a being a little, over enthused as it was. Giving her a sheepish grin he shrugged. "Sorry just completely surprised me, how have you been?"

Like a whirlwind he was gone as quickly as he came, out of the main room and into one of those which adjoined. She let out the breath she had been holding and grinned sheepishly at the little toddler who had pretty much cannonballed himself into her lap. Luckily Felix was on the other side of the hearth, else the cub would have been well and truly squished.

"Ooft, easy there Theoren... You've already a warrior's build! Look at those muscles!" Of course the babe had no idea what she was saying, but he seemed to relax to her voice regardless. She pat her lap and he sat down instead, wriggling about. For a few minutes the room was eerily silent, though the occasional murmur of voices did rise up. Mysa was happy for the distraction little Theoren provided.

When the door opened again though, Mysa stood to her feet and tried to press back against the wall. She felt so out of place. He wouldn't want to see her, perhaps she should go. The babe was using her trousers as leverage to stand up, however, and she didn't want to uproot him so she stayed put. When the Lady of the House spoke she bit her lip and looked down. She was small compared to his kind, but she wished she were smaller.

What happened next was of great surprise. He practically swept her up, his embrace warm and... Lasting simply not long enough. "Hello..." she said, with a nervous tone, glancing him up and down. A slight frown caught her expression, and she deftly lifted up on her tiptoes to wipe a very slight bit of something from the underside of his chin. Blood? Dirt? She didn't know, didn't care, it was gone now. He had asked her a question, but she didn't really hear it. She was amazed that he was there at all. Grateful that he was well.

Gideon Crowseye

G
With a laugh he rubbed his chin after as she wiped off some of his missed grim, "Aye, its a mess, but you should have seen the other guy." Smiling a bit too wide he decided it was best to talk in private or the Gods knew his mother was going to get involved. Then again she'd been here all day they said so she most likely already had. Offering her the cook of his arm he waved off the others. "We'll be back in a few but I'd like a few moments to talk with my friend in peace."

Taking her to his own room it had never quite occurred to him to ask her if she'd like to talk in private but that all escaped him in his excitement as he escorted her to his own little part of the home. "Sorry its not much, as I'm sure you're aware a hearth isn't a home till it has a woman's touch, but I'm rarely in so I don't spruce it up much. Sorrow I'm babbling a bit aren't I? I'm just, surprised, and happy. I thought I might not get to see you again, made me sad in truth. I see your furry friend is growing strong and true, knew he would with you. So tell me, how have you been? I hope well?"

Ah, hunting jokes. She couldn't help but mimic his smile, infectious as it was, before he offered out his arm to her. She looked first at his family, and then back at him, before gently settling her hand in his instead. Force knew Mysa didn't have a clue what the gesture he had shown her was, she'd never been offered to take an arm before.

Felix was quick to follow as she left the main room by Gideon's guidance and ended up in a cozy bedroom. Simple, but lovely all the same. Akin to most of the Valkyri places she had the pleasure of visiting.

"It's lovely" she stated, when they were alone, reaching down to fuss Felix behind the ear when Gideon made mention of him. "Felix has turned into quite the promising companion, haven't you buddy?" She smiled, before peeking back up at her friend. He was her friend right? That's what he'd told his family...

"I uh... Well..." She rubbed the back of her neck. She wanted to lie and pretend everything was sunshine and rainbows, but she knew that was silly. "Obviously I'm dealing with the changes brought about by the Battle... But who on Midvinter isn't?" The loss of the former King, Thrand, had been heavy for all to bear, but his family moreso. Add to that the fact that Mysa hadn't said her goodbyes, and she was practically torn up over it. But she didn't let that show.

"How about you? I'm glad you made it through the Battle... Truly I am."

Gideon Crowseye

G
He didn't respond with words and instead simply swooped her up in a massive soft hug, he said nothing but his actions conveyed his heartfelt sympathy. Without letting go for a moment he nodded, "Don't, it is true we all lost, but that doesn't take away from your own right to sorrow. It is your right to celebrate his death and mourn his passing more then even his own people, for you were his kin. If you don't want to speak of it, I understand, but don't treat your sorrow as less then my own. I lost no blood in that fight, a bit of rebuilding and a bit of healing will take care of all our wounds."

Squeezing once he spoke only once more before giving her a moment, "He was a good king, and a I bet he was a damn good man. We'll see him again in the next life, but until then he lives in you and his people's hearts. I think more in you though, more in the lessons he's taught and the love he's given."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom