Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Ragdoll Physics | Invite

skin, bone, and arrogance

"I'm sure I could teach you," Natasi said with a challenging smirk. "If push comes to shove, perhaps it will score me points with your mother if the next time you see her you can run through the scales properly on a piano. I'm afraid there's not much that I know that I can trade for what you can teach me. Needlepoint hardly seems a fair trade for blaster training." She laughed at the thought of Dyrn hunched over a stretched fabric, laboring with a tiny needle to embroider it. She had little doubt of his ability -- working with models was of course very close work indeed -- but she couldn't imagine he'd be interested. The truth was Natasi herself wasn't very interested either; it was just something she'd learned.

As he talked about dancing -- and now being an opportune moment -- Natasi couldn't help but wonder aloud: "What -- ?"

Natasi's eyebrow arched as she watched Dyrn's movements, her face moving from curiosity to recognition to sheepishness as his intentions became clear. His hand reached out, and Natasi instinctively put hers hand in his. "I'd be delighted," she said. After a moment, she stood and stepped with Dyrn away from the table to the more open space nearby. Natasi stepped Dyrn's arms, straightening her back to stand straight. She placed a hand on his shoulder, looking up into his face and favoring him with a bright smile.

It was no lie that he -- or Vykk Draygo -- was a skilled dancer. It had been years since Natasi had been spun by anyone so talented. In fact, the last time she'd danced since the First Order balls of old had been with the Sovereign Imperator of the New Imperial Order at her own coronation ball. Natasi had found Tavlar charming and gracious, engaging and interesting, and certainly very compelling -- both then and when they'd met afterward -- and a decently serviceable dancer, but it had clearly not been his strong suit. Not true for Dyrn. She was beginning to wonder if there was anything he did badly.

"You are quite ridiculous," Natasi said, not breaking the grin. "But in the most charming way," she added.

The song was slow and brassy. It reminded Natasi of the smoke-filled officers' clubs of her early adulthood. When the balls and galas were over and the debutantes' parents had gone to bed and the chaperones dismissed, they would pile into a cab in Calavar and find a club with a dance on. Romantic, heady days, but no less than this, and much less exciting. Perhaps it was the thrill of a potential romance, or the incongruity of the surroundings, or the memory of snatched kisses prior, but being here, in this pub upper room with Dyrn Gra, topped it all.

Natasi was happy to let Dyrn lead and he did it well. A lesser man might be intimidated by her position or else seek to assert dominance over it. This didn't feel like that at all. If I'm not careful I may well fall for him much too fast, Natasi thought to herself, and she felt cheeks color at the thought. Between them no tuxedo and no gown, no medals and no jewels. In that moment, it felt to her that between them there wasn't even rank distinctions, nor class differences, nor cultural barriers.

The song came to its meandering close, and Natasi looked up into her companion's face, nearly breathless. Her eyes shone in the dim light until she squeezed them shut stubbornly. "Won't you kiss me?" Natasi asked softly, lifting onto her tip-toes and turning her face up a little more. "Please?"

Dyrn Grav Dyrn Grav

DAc3GdD.png

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

With a smile, Dyrn took Natasi's hand in his own and walked with her a way from the table. Clearly well-versed in dancing, Lady Fortan stepped toward him and placed her hands, as he moved his own to meet them. Standing in something of a closed position, the pair started to step in time with the music. Dyrn used all of his repertoire, back to essentially all of the dance training he had received, solely for the purpose of blending in undercover in high society, should it be required. The choreography was simple, not intended to amaze a non-existent crowd of onlookers, but rather to allow a chance for the pair to move in unison, as a couple.

A spin or two, a dip, and some cross body leads. Dyrn did everything he could to feel his partner, to be conscious of finding that natural flow between them. He didn't shy from leading, this was not about position or power, not for him; it was about meeting in the middle, as two sentients, ones that cared for the other. When Natasi spoke, Dyrn chuckled and shrugged slightly:

"Why thank you," Dyrn said in response to being called quite ridiculous, though it was clearly a jest, and he returned Natasi's smile. "I've been told it's one of my best qualities..."

Still, despite his calm exterior and casual manner, Dyrn was very focused on the dancing. He felt a bit out of practice, as though his skill had waned some with disuse, and while it seemingly came naturally to Lady Fortan, the Guardsman was running steps and beats in his mind. Perhaps he was a little nervous, maybe even anxious, and there was a small voice in his mind that suggested asking for a dance might not have been the best idea - at least not without a refresher course, for fear of stepping on Natasi's toes.

Still, after a minute or two, it felt like riding a speeder all over again, and Dyrn began to genuinely enjoy himself even more.

A moment I could enjoy forever, I think, Dyrn thought to himself, as his bright eyes shifted to look at Natasi. He saw her smiling, the happiness in her eyes, and he was intoxicated by her laughs. I want to make her laugh, to be that safe space, away from it all. Relax and just be.

And as the music began to fade, reaching the end of the track, Dyrn finished with a spin turn that brought the two close. Natasi's eyes caught Dyrn's, and as she closed them, her voice filled the suddenly quiet room - she wanted him to kiss her. There was no hesitation, Dyrn leaned down and pulled Natasi tight into his arms as he did so; his eyes closed as lips touched, the scent of her filled his nostrils, and one of his hands reached out to touch against the back of Natasi's head and hair - firmly, but lovingly.

She was on her tip-toes; he supported her.

After a long moment, he pulled back slightly, but still held Natasi firmly in his arms. Dyrn kept his forehead touching hers, as he opened his eyes and looked for her gaze, as his smile crept over his face all over again for the hundredth time that evening. "I don't believe I will ever tire of that," He said in a low voice, a whisper for her only. "You've set my heart thumping, Ms. Fortan... again."

Dyrn moved his raised hand, traced the shape of her ear, before he paused. He could feel his heart in his chest, it sounded so loud he thought she might, too. No one had ever done that to him, his serious past relationship included. The Guardsman opened his mouth to say something - but hesitated as he closed it - then he straightened to his full height and smiled.

"I am... reluctant to say what I want to say," Dyrn started slowly, as he looked down to the ground for a moment. Then back to her. "I don't want to overstep or cause you discomfort due to Galidraani propriety. So, instead, to avoid misunderstanding of my intentions or awkward proclamations, allow me to say: I want this - us - more than I've dared want anything before. And should you want me, Natasi, I will do whatever is required."

There it was. No more toeing the proverbial water, his intentions were clear. Wholly hers, should she want him.

...and Dyrn Grav had never, in his entire life, felt more vulnerable than in that very moment.

The Supreme Leader wrapped her arms around Dyrn's neck, pulling them closer. He was warm and solid, comforting and sturdy. She could have stood like that all night sharing a kiss. When their lips parted and he said he would never tire of it, she offered a sly smile. "I should hope not," she said dubiously. "I feel the same way," she confessed quietly, lowering her gaze to preserve some modicum of Galidraani modesty. Was it her imagination, or was the turtleneck becoming uncomfortably warm? She resisted the urge to tug the collar away from her neck, which was slowly turning from alabaster to pink as heat crept up towards her face.

Dyrn's comparatively gushing confession made Natasi flush even darker, and she further dropped her gaze. Natasi thought she knew what he was trying to tell her, but she demurred, smiling pleasantly but remaining silent for the moment. She didn't want to say anything to spoil what was a perfect moment in a perfect evening. She had talked enough; there had been moments when she thought her talking had the capacity to ruin the evening. She had never felt more secure and at peace than in that moment, and she didn't want it to end in awkwardness. "I can think of another talent of yours," she said enigmatically after a brief moment of silence, her eyebrows lofting as she disengaged from him and turned back to the table to pick up her coat, which had been draped across the back of her chair.

"Shall we head out?" Natasi asked breezily. "We can take the car back if you'd rather we not be exposed to the elements. I asked them to bring it down, so they'll be parked up nearby. No fuss," she said pleasantly as she draped her jacket across her slender shoulders, looking over at Dyrn to see what his preference would be. When all had been settled, Natasi told Dyrn she needed a word with Ploughby, and she thanked the pub's owner for the food and atmosphere, and instructed him to put another round on her account for the pub's occupants. The same routine of doffed caps and murmured greetings followed Natasi and Dyrn as they left the pub.

"So," Natasi said as they emerged into the Galidraani night. Her words were accompanied by fogged breath in the chilly evening air. "Your first exposure to Galidraani pub grub. How do you feel? It's not for the faint of heart, you know." She worked her fingers into a pair of gloves from her pocket, then tucked her hand into the crook of his arm as they made their way. "I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, but your assignment to me will be much more pleasant if you have an affinity for sticky toffee pudding."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

Dyrn didn't need to see into the thermal spectrum to notice the heat in Natasi's cheeks. Her sly smile brought his own as a response, something about her expression seemed oddly perfect to him, a combination of happiness, mischievousness and beauty. Still, when the Guardsman had finished saying what he had to say, there was a moment of uncertainty with Lady Fortan's reaction. She didn't say anything, save to gaze down, though her cheeks seemed impossibly rosy. But he overcame that feeling, instead trusting that Natasi was bound by her own sense of demure mannerism, and that her being with him so personably as now alone, and on other occasions, said more than enough for him.

Natasi spoke up, as she referenced another of his talents.

Oh?

Then she proceeded to collect her coat from the chair nearby, before Dyrn did the same and slipped his jacket around himself. There was some intrigue about what would happen next, and the Guardsman willingly followed Lady Fortan's lead, as he responded - "Yes, perhaps before it becomes too late." - before he considered the query about a walk or the car. His instincts told him to defer on the walk, as the trek back would be in darkness on long stretches of open road, with surrounding trees and grassy land. "The car should do well, I think."

Silent, Dyrn walked out of the private room with Natasi, and nodded as she diverted to speak with Mr. Ploughby. Dyrn, in the meantime, walked through to the doorway into the pub area proper and stood there, waiting. It didn't take long. From the front of the establishment, Parker stood at the front entry, prepared to step out first - Dyrn nodded his way. When the pair reunited, Dyrn followed and watched the hat tipping with amusement. An odd happening, but who was he to judge? No doubt there were things Natasi might find odd about Dyrn's family or happenings in his own life sometime. And so the pair exited the building, in the wake of Parker who remained nearby but beyond breaking privacy for them...

"I quite enjoyed it, the company especially," Dyrn said, his own breath fogging from his lips. The car was certainly the right choice. He reached up to lift the collar around his neck, before they interlaced arms once again. That was nice. It felt right. "It makes me wonder about other dishes they might have, actually. I'm sure there are some around that I will not like, yet... I cannot deny the interest to try more. Perhaps you will make a pub-goer out of me yet, Lady Fortan?"

The vehicle was before them, across the street. Dyrn led the way, as he scanned the dim road and surroundings. His eyes shifted into a more comparable nightvision, with his pupils flashing white in certain light. He could see everything, granted in an assortment of whites and grays. Nonetheless, as they approached, Dyrn raised an eyebrow as he glanced to Natasi, his eyes rippled between orange and blue, likely indicating to her of his visual change:

"Would you care to drive? Or should I?"

Whatever the choice, Dyrn would do, but in either instance would ensure to open the car door for Lady Fortan before he entered the vehicle himself...

"I'll drive," said Natasi, looking both ways before she crossed the street to the car, rounding to the other side to climb into the driver's seat with Dyrn's assistance. "I think I remember how," she called to him as he rounded the car to get into the other side. When everyone was in an appropriately buckled, she started the ignition, carefully adjusted her gloves, and then put the car in gear. She eased onto the lane with practiced ease. Herevan was small; many of its residents had cars, but wouldn't necessarily be using them at this time of night, so for her it was a perfect time to go on a motoring tour. She hung a right at the next intersection, heading further into town, and paused to an idle on the road between a great green quadrangle -- attractively frosted in white now -- and a large church.

"There's the war memorial," she said, pointing to the column in the center of the green "Herevan is small enough that we only need the one, so far, for all the wars. But it's a nice place to sit and remember. There's a market here every weekend. People bring their surplus produce or honey or whatever and set up little stalls. It's rather nice."

Natasi shifted in her seat, pointing across the street. "That's the Temple of the Balance. There are no practitioners in the village anymore -- except me, I suppose -- so we've been using it as an unofficial town hall and function area for the town. Wedding breakfasts and things. My father had it built for my mother as a wedding gift. They were married in it, even if my father didn't follow the faith. My grandmother thought it was very peculiar, but mother brought enough credits that her odd religion wasn't seen as a problem." She let off on the brakes and once again eased onto the street.

"It's funny when you think about it," Natasi mused after a moment of thoughtful silence. "It was a mercenary match, for be sure, but in all my years in the Galidraani aristocracy, I don't think I ever knew a couple that was so much in love decades of marriage. The Strallans, for instance, were famously passionate during their courtship and he ended up an unhappy alcoholic, and she ended up looking for comfort outside the marriage." She frowned gravely as she turned right again, looping towards the outskirts of town. "That's how my half-sister Decima came to be born. After my mother's death, of course," she added hastily.

As they passed a large, walled house, Natasi pointed it out. "That's the Dower House. Where new Earls of Herevan stash their mothers after their fathers pass on. Fortan women are known for their... well, meddling, it won't surprise you to know." She smiled across the cab at him and then sped up, moving back to on the road towards the estate. The guardsmen opened the gate and shut it behind the car, and Natasi eased the car up the gravel drive, looping around to park in front of the door. Natasi turned off the ignition but left the key there; Hendersmith would get someone to put the speeder away.

"One more for the road?" Natasi asked with a wry grin, leaning towards Dyrn for one last kiss before they had to go back into the house where they would have to be on their best behavior again.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

Dyrn slid into the speeder, as he ducked his head to avoid hitting the frame, then settled in. He chuckled at the jest Natasi made about perhaps recalling how to drive, though truthfully the Guardsman had every confidence in her. Unexpected was the tour of the village, however. Still, given the lack of sentients on the roads or around the settlement, there seemed little cause for concern. Still, Dyrn remained vigilant, as he listened to Lady Fortan begin to mention a number of interesting and personal facts regarding both Herevan and her family.

The war memorial was simple, yet dignified. The market sounded pleasant, filled with those familiar in a small community. The church was ornate, lonely, but resilient to time with a new purpose for the village. That Natasi's father had it built for her mother spoke volumes as to the importance of the building for her, perhaps even if she didn't mention that outright - it had been worth stopping to see it, to mention it, after all.

"It is finely built, and shows how much care there was between them, consideration was put into the gift."

The mention of the marriage, how they had been in love for so long, was pleasant to hear. The tale of the Strallans not so much. That was certainly something Dyrn wanted to avoid, he did not want to look back on his life when his hair had grayed and his eyes dulled, to have regret. Still, he had always been a man that followed his instinct, it had served him well his entire life, and something made him feel reassured - heartened, even - with any future alongside Natasi.

He trusted her, completely.

The Dower house was an unusual sight, or more accurately, an unusual establishment. The thought of stowing the elderly women of the family came across as odd for Dyrn, though he tried his best to remain nonjudgmental of the culture. Things were very different for all species across thousands of planets, and a Dower House was quite tame in comparison to other traditions he supposed. Still...

"Are you saying your future residence is decided, then?" Dyrn said with a very, very cheeky smirk on his lips. He glanced to Natasi, chuckling. "I jest. Please, meddle as you would."

As the tour came to an end, Dyrn used that time to confirm the happenings over the coming weeks. It seemed as good a time as any, not to mention they could discuss more personal matters in the safety of the vehicle, without ears being around most of the time. The Guardsman shifted in the seat, as he looked to the Supreme Leader next to him. He just watched her, as he spoke, enjoying the arch of her brow, the slight upturn of her nose, her lips...

"If you like, we might continue with more training sessions - combat sessions - over the next few weeks, leading up to Naboo. It takes months, years, to master fighting techniques, however some starting defensive skills can make a difference," He added, a small rush of excitement passed through him as he continued. "Then... of course, Öetrago. And the chance to spend more time together, alone. An opportunity I admit to counting the days until."

With a clearing of this throat, Dyrn straightened in the speeder seat and looked ahead toward the estate gate that drew closer. He recognized the humanoids standing guard, saw nothing out of the ordinary, before the vehicle continued along the way to the large house proper. Dyrn was ready to exit, however he was pleasantly surprised as Natasi leaned toward him and asked for another kiss--

"Always."

--Dyrn smiled, as he leaned toward Natasi, met her halfway. He looked into her dark eyes, nose all but touching hers, as he reached up to run his fingers slowly against her cheek - Beautiful. - then kissed her like he had been told it would be the last time. Not because it would be, but because he was ready to embrace the feelings he had for Natasi, and knew that the weeks of duty and responsibility to come would be tasking. And it was with great reluctance that Dyrn slowly pulled back, and said as he made to exit the speeder:

"Allow me to get your door, your Grace."

[ END ]

royal_guard_spacer.png

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom