Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Ragdoll Physics | Invite

skin, bone, and arrogance

Dyrn's concern for Natasi -- her reputation, her position, her feelings, her 'people' -- was really very touching.

"I've been rather fortunate in my lifetimes," Natasi said softly. "I was married and produced an heir to my husband's land and titles and a spare, too." She raised her eyebrows and canted her head to one side. "Not the most flattering way of referring to my children, whom I love very much incidentally, but if we're talking about the people that make up my social peers, we might as well use their terminology. I say this by way of explaining that I have fulfilled the expectations placed upon me. More or less. People will talk, perhaps, but they always talk. They were vicious about my marriage even though it was perfectly respectable."

She thought about it a moment more. It was rather amusing to worry about what her family might say. Her closest living relatives were Ariel Yvarro and Fiolette Fortan; if either one of them so much as raised an eyebrow, it would be the height of hypocrisy. "I don't know if you're enough for me," said Natasi frankly. "I don't mean that you would be inadequate, or unsuitable because of your background," she added hastily. "Just that I am not the most agreeable person to be around and, for as much as we've been in close quarters lately, it's quite different to be -- coupled," she said, stammering lightly over the word, as if she was unsure how best to put it.

"What about your family?" Natasi asked after a moment of reflection. "Will they think I'm taking advantage?"

It was an attractive prospect, the idea of taking time away from their schedules and to just see what it was like to be near each other. No protocol or titles. No expectations. Just to see if personalities meshed well, separate from her desire to be accommodating to a man sworn to lay his life down for hers and his subordinate -- not to say submissive -- position. They could never be free from circumstances, but they could strip away as much as possible. The last thing Natasi wanted was to open herself up to scandal, and Dyrn up to criticism, only to find that they weren't sell-suited to one another.

He told her, in true earnest, that he wasn't after anything from her. Natasi couldn't help but laugh at that, giggling into her free hand. "Oh," she gasped after a moment. "I don't know everything, but I could sense from the first day I knew you that you weren't here because of what I could give you. You have proven it time and again. Over the months, you have earned my complete trust. You need not worry that I doubt your motivations."

Natasi's dark eyes sobered as she studied Dyrn. "Perhaps we should take the Allegro and go... somewhere," she said after a moment more of consideration. "Without the servants. Without titles and protocols." Natasi finally let go of Dyrn's hand as she went to pick up a bottle of water from the edge of the mat. She was suddenly aware of the movement of her body in a way that she hadn't been before, from the perspective of the man watching from nearby. The Supreme Leader took a swig from her bottle. Her mouth still felt dry from the nerves, though she felt less worried now.

"I... don't want to give you the wrong impression," Natasi began cautiously. "I'm not... propositioning you," she clarified, her eyes narrowing a little, trying to note if he looked relieved, disappointed, confused.

Dyrn Grav Dyrn Grav
DAc3GdD.png

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

Even though Dyrn knew that Natasi had children, he had spent time getting to know them over the months, he hadn't truly considered them in the last few moments. Not in the sense that he had forgotten, but rather how they might react to his presence in their lives, in a closer proximity alongside their mother. It was certainly another thing to consider, as the explanation was offered about Natasi's marriage, having George and Reima obviously, and then how - even after all the proper steps - there still remained gossip and talk. It reminded him that, no matter what, someone would always find cause to be upset or negative in a situation. And that perhaps those people weren't that important after all.

Natasi went on to answer Dyrn's question about his suitability, if he would be enough, and she gave an honest answer. He hadn't expected otherwise, really, though she suggested she could be disagreeable. That made the tall man incline his head, as he wondered at that, since he had always found Natasi to be pleasant company; but perhaps, despite their relative closeness prior to now, she had been assuming that demeanor - whether intentionally or not - and that being a couple would change that. It was true that couples saw basically every aspect of their partner, so it stood to reason that Natasi would just as well see parts of Dyrn that she struggled to tolerate.

"It would be different, yes." Dyrn said with a nod. He raised his eyebrows. "It would mean I get to see more of you. Not just what you want me, or others, to see... and I enjoy the sound of that, honestly. I trust my life with you, as you trust yours with me, and that is not something so easily shaken by disagreement or argument, I feel. Besides, I'm very patient."

Dyrn said the last with a smirk.

"I love my family. My family will respect my decision on whom I want to be with. But, if they can't see what I see in you, then their opinion can stay with them." Dyrn jutted out his chin a little bit, as he added. "You are not taking advantage of me, Natasi. Please, never feel that way."

It was also more of a relief that Natasi believed Dyrn wanted nothing from her, in terms of wealth or belongings. He was adamant in that. If he was asked to sign a waiver of any claims to anything she owned, he would do it without a second thought. While not rich, Dyrn's life in the First Imperial Army, and then the Royal Guard, had given him a comfortable financial security. He didn't want for credits. Granted, he couldn't own mansions, or have multiple houses in numerous planets, but he was content and able to live comfortably. The giggle Natasi gave made Dyrn chuckle, as he looked down to the boxing gloves he had dropped and bent to pick them up - as she walked away to get a water bottle.

She's absolutely stunning, Dyrn thought as he watched her from the center of the mat. In the months gone, I admit I stole glances. But now? To not have to hide when I look at her? What an incredible feeling.

At the suggestion of taking the Allegro and traveling, Dyrn smiled. That sounded like an amazing idea. It would let them be somewhat alone, without the pomp and ceremony, and perhaps allow the pair some moments to better learn about one another. Still, Natasi's expression shifted, and Dyrn easily caught the narrowing her of eyes, as she stated how it was not intended to be. Dyrn's eyes widened, as he shook his head. "What? No, no, of course not," He said as he walked toward Natasi. He tossed the gloves to the edge of the mat, before he stood before her, as he reached out and touched her upper arms with both hands. "I would -- that is, I could never presume that. I can admit I am very physically attracted to you, but I would never expect that of you, not until we are both comfortable and ready-- I..."

For a second, Dyrn stared, as his mouth remained open. He closed it, before he gave a hm.

"I'm sorry. That was, uh, very forward of me. To suggest we would... well, engage in... I apologize."

Dyrn stepped back, letting go of Natasi's arms. How could he articulate that, yes, he desired her that way. But that he also didn't want to make that the focus of the relationship? Without sounding cliche? It was a difficult situation, one that the tall man didn't quite have an answer for, so he opted for a shift in topic and a hope that his previous words were sufficient to put Natasi at ease. And would allow him to continue without putting his foot in his mouth.

"And if we were to travel, to take time with one another away, where would you like to go?" He asked, curious. He supposed it might be somewhere Natasi was familiar, perhaps a personal private estate or home. Unless she felt inclined to simply explore, with him. "I've always been inclined to visit Öetrago. It's a planet renown for it's flowers. And I understand you have a like of flora, so I had been considering it as a suggestion for if you ever wanted to take time away, vacation. Yet... maybe it can be for a different reason?"

Still, Dyrn had no expectations. Just being able to spend time with Natasi, to know her more closely and without servants or titles or protocols, it was now all that he wanted. To be two sentients, with feelings for one another, able to simply be sentients together. It sounded very enjoyable. Of course, whether Natasi liked the idea of Öetrago, Dyrn was mildly eager to know - he had put a lot of thought into that destination, with the intention of Natasi finding some pleasure in the miles and miles of flower fields, granted alongside her entourage.

But maybe, now, Öetrago could be for them alone?

Natasi picked up the other bottle of water and walked back over to Dyrn, offering him the fresh one. She took another sip of the water and set it down on the mat as she considered the bodyguard towering in front of her.

His seriousness -- his earnestness -- was quite endearing. She didn't like to see him flinching and flustered, but she had to admit it was somewhat amusing to see it when he grasped what she was saying. Perhaps it would have been better if she had been better if she hadn't mentioned it. She just didn't want to set the wrong expectations. And given her erratic behavior, she thought it might have been a valuable exercise. She relaxed when he took her by the upper arms, smiling up at Dyrn as he pulled her close.

"Please don't apologize," she said gently. "I don't think you're going to offend me. This is unusual -- or rather, new -- for me as well. I'm sure I'm going all about it the wrong way."

Dyrn was still holding her by her arms. It was as intimate an embrace as she had experienced in some time, though not entirely closely-held, but it felt right for the current moment. She lifted her lower arms, curling her arms around his to rest on his forearms, just before his elbows. His muscles were evident. He asked about traveling and she inclined her head, smiling tightly. "If we were anywhere else, I'd say Galidraan. But I suppose today is a day for broadening horizons, isn't it? To be honest, I've always wanted to see Canto Bight, too, but it doesn't seem like the right time. Less able to travel there on a low profile, right?" Her smile broadened as she thought of the sea of flowers awaiting them in the Mayagil Sector. "Öetrago sounds so lovely. I've heard of its flower fields, but that's about all. If you're satisfied that it's safe, I say -- let's just... go."

The children had been resettled at Foxfield Park with their grandmother and uncle, to settle back into their usual routine. There was nothing keeping Natasi here, necessarily. In theory they could leave that very day, although she thought that would be rather unfair on Banks, to get a traveling wardrobe together on short notice. Plus it would have to be things that she could get in and out of by herself -- although she suspected Dyrn could be relied on to help with the odd zipper here and there.

"What do we need to do to prepare? Are we going to travel incognito?" It was terribly exciting for Natasi. An opportunity to let her hair down was quite appealing, and she was hoping that Dyrn would let his down, too. "The Allegro is fueled and on standby, so we can go whenever we're ready."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

Dyrn nodded. He had no reason to doubt what Natasi said, and if she didn't feel an apology was needed, he wouldn't protest. He also had the water bottle after it had been offered, to which he slid the lid to the side and took several mouthfuls. He had become very dry, in the mouth, and the water was appreciated. He put it down beside him, in order to hold Natasi, as he listened to her; the Guardsman couldn't help but feel and enjoy the warmth of her hands, as she returned the casual embrace by holding under his forearms.

"Canto Bight... that's the city on Cantonica, if I'm not mistaken," Dyrn said with some thought, as he looked to one side and recalled. It was a planet on a strict notice, due to the sheer amount of holocameras and recording devices, for financial security. It was a gambling planet, right? "You're right, that might be a little difficult to pass unnoticed."

Then Öetrago was commented on, to which Dyrn smiled as he looked back to Natasi.

Let's just go? I... yes. Yes.

"...yes, let's go," Dyrn said with a nod. He could work out the security leading up to leaving, it was also his job to be able to adapt to Natasi's - the Supreme Leader's - changes in schedule in a quick manner. "We can use my alias, perhaps take my starship? I don't see any-- oh. No, it's not possible, not right this moment, I'm sorry."

The disappointment was palpable on Dyrn's face, as he furrowed his eyebrows and rubbed Natasi's arms.

"Naboo. The Embassy function." He said matter-of-factly, and no matter how much he wanted to leave for Öetrago right then and there, they couldn't just throw responsibility to the wind. Sadly. "The invitation has been accepted, I'm expecting the security outline in the next few weeks, and your presence is expected... I'm sorry. For both of us, actually, heh."

Dyrn bit his lip, as he thought. He stepped back from Natasi, as he bent to pick up the water bottle, and stood again. He raised his eyebrows, as he asked:

"What if I schedule the trip to Öetrago for a week after Naboo?" He took another mouthful of water, before he walked to the mat edges and put the bottle down. He turned and stood there, hands on hips, as he looked over Natasi in her training outfit. "I've heard anticipation is half the fun? Though, I can also perform the proper security checks, perhaps organize some venues or activities? Delayed spontaneity, as it were..."

Besides, there were still a few self-defense skills Dyrn wanted to show Natasi for the lesson, even if his mind wanted to run off on intimate adventures with her on different planets; his responsibilities still remained, and there was at least one method she absolutely needed to know, sooner rather than later, which involved the butter knife... to which Dyrn crouched and picked it up from the tray, as he held it in one hand and presented it for Natasi to look at - though it wasn't anything unremarkable, except maybe how expensive it might have been?

"I... very much regret to change the topic or focus, because I can't express enough how much I enjoy finally discussing us with you... but there was something else I wanted to show you, regarding our training, which is very important. May I?"

Natasi blanched when he reminded her of the embassy event on Naboo coming up. It wasn't like her to forget appointments, especially big ones like this. And in truth she hadn't quite forgotten it, but the timing of things had escaped her in her whirlwind of emotions. "You're right, of course. Yes -- agreed. Duty first -- always -- and then..." She caught herself before she could say pleasure because Balance knew neither needed more awkwardness or embarrassment from misspent words. Instead, she settled on: "...adventure."

The Supreme Leader inclined her head. "It's a privilege to serve," she prefaced her remarks, "but damned if I'm not disappointed. I was rather looking forward to it." She smiled broadly released him as he stepped back. She crouched to pick up her water bottle and mirrored his motions, taking the bottle to the edge of the mat to place it out of the way. "Still, we can take the Allegro to Naboo, alone. And if you feel comfortable with it, we can get a jump on it this week. Perhaps we can visit the public house in the village for dinner tomorrow night." Natasi paused. "Let me try talking like a normal person. Would you like to go to dinner with me in the pub tomorrow night?"

With that settled, Natasi turned her attention to the matter at hand. She had, indeed, interrupted the flow of their lesson by her impulsive actions. Her mind briefly flashed to boarding school -- one of the few concessions her parents had made to her demands for a more modern education than the typical governess upbringing. She had found herself in the headmistress' office, waiting to be told off, on only a few occasions. Luckily, Dyrn Grav seemed to be more flexible and patient an educator than Miss Hinchfeather and less of a strict disciplinarian.

At least in this context.

"Of course, Dyrn," she said, bowing her head in silent apology with the ghost of a smirk crossing her lips. She approached, rather a pep in her step, and then leaned over to examine the butter knife, its silver handle stamped with the ornate flourishing F of Fortan. "Beautiful," she said. "Solid silver, I think; one of the pieces that my great-aunt left to the estate, if I'm not much mistaken." Natasi looked up, then flushed a little pink, offering a slightly abashed smile before adding slowly: "Though... I suspect... its provenance is not of particular interest to you at this moment."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

The idea of taking the Allegro to Naboo with Natasi, alone, was pleasing. It would allow them time to bond, to speak freely, and to enjoy time together. That sounded ideal. If it was one thing Dyrn wanted, aside from Natasi herself of course, it was opportunity for them to just be themselves. So the trip to the Embassy function sounded good. Exceptionally good, actually. Then, there was a pause, before Natasi asked him...

Wait.

Dyrn inclined his head.

Did Natasi just... ask me out on a date?

"Yes," He smiled, there at the edge of the mats with a butter knife in hand, as he looked to her. Completely normal situation for asking one out, certainly. "I would like that. You'll have to explain what a pub is, at some point, but it sounds like a date. Eh -- yes, a date."

With a nod to himself, it was time to - reluctantly, but unavoidably - return to the training lesson. The little bow was not unnoticed, which caused the tall man to smirk, as he bowed his head in response. He liked this freer Natasi, unbeholden by propriety to those around. She was simply alluring. Dyrn listened as Natasi explained about the butter knife, to which he glanced down and offered a hm thoughtfully, as though something had been made clear - but ultimately he smiled and offered a small shrug.

"It's but a tool for the purpose," He said, before he stepped forward and handed the butter knife to Natasi. "Please stab me."

Dyrn waited, hint of a smile on his face, as he waited to be - well - stabbed...

Natasi regarded the guardsman skeptically as he offered her the blunted blade.

Her eyes dropped down to the blade. He had the courtesy to offer her the handle. His gallantry was so deeply attractive that Natasi had to resist the urge to pull him down for another kiss. She deflected, instead smiling tightly as she put her hand over the handle, sandwiching it between their palms, and quipped: "You know, traditionally, in my family we would borrow a knife from downstairs to stab troublesome bodyguards with. Or use a utility knife from the groundskeeper."

Her fingers clasped around the handle of the butter knife. She initially took it in her right hand, finger extending slightly down the back of the blade, like she was about to use it to dine. But this would have made extraordinarily bad stabbing posture, so she instead switched her grasp, taking the handle in her right first.

"I'm sure you're not going to let me stab you," said Natasi softly. "Which is the only reason I'm going to actually try to stab you. But please -- don't let me stab you. I cannot overstate how much I do not wish to succeed in stabbing you."

With that the Supreme Leader lunged forward with the blade, leveraging the lessons he had taught her to drive the knife towards his chest with as much force as she could muster. She stared at him, waiting for the moment that he would move to dodge or otherwise thwart her attempts. Surely there had to be something coming, Natasi told herself. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as her hand streaked forward, silver flashing in the light cast by the chandeliers.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

It took a surprising amount of concentration for Dyrn to focus. He was a Royal Guard, he knew discipline, though he now found himself over-focused on the training to maintain it. He had gone from sharing emotions, which had steadily built within him over months, to asking the woman he cared for to stab him. It was definitely a reversal of the previous discussion, and hopefully Natasi hadn't received whiplash from the suddenness of conversation change. Though, as Dyrn handed over the butter knife, he couldn't help laugh at the comment she made about the tradition of borrowing knives to stab troublesome guards...

"I'm glad we're upholding tradition," Dyrn said with a chuckle, as he stepped back and maintained a barely-contained smirk. "Troublesome guards are the worst, yes?"

When Natasi expressed how she didn't want to succeed in her attempt, not even in the slightest, Dyrn nodded with some reassurance. There was every precaution made; he knew the attack was coming, he had trained most of his life in various martial arts, he knew that Natasi would likely hold back - even if it was subconsciously. Plus it was also a butter knife. And when the Supreme Leader rushed in, concern in her eye, the tall Guardsman stepped forward into the attack--

Thump.

--and planted his hands firmly against Natasi's bicep and elbow. He had the advantage of weight, height and training, so he aimed to show her how to leverage an opponent. The defensive move would likely stop Natasi mid-motion, as her arm stopped moving outright, and would leave the knife in mid-swing - essentially useless, unless she tried to continue stabbing. But Dyrn spoke:

"I want you to know that when you see the knife, you're going to be cut. There is no easy way to say that." He said in a low voice. He glanced down into her eyes, his expression serious but not hard. "By this point, accept that it will likely happen, and dedicate yourself to survival at all costs. Now, notice how I've used the entire length of both my arms to meet your elbow. That gives me more range than just your forearm, see?"

He tapped the inner elbow joint with his hand, for emphasis.

"For me, my reaction to this moment would be a swift series of strikes to disable. Neck, armpit, sternum, crotch, with anything I could hit with, my elbows, knees, head. But, because you are shorter and weigh a lot less than me, I'm going to demonstrate what you should do against a larger opponent... first, grab the entire arm, with your whole body--"

Dyrn did so, as he moved forward - albeit in a bent kneed posture, to lower his height - and grabbed onto Natasi's arm and hugged it to his front. His head was against her shoulder, his arms wrapped, and he continued.

"Then, kick the legs as hard as you possibly can as you move forward, make the attacker off balance."

Dyrn did some demonstration kicks, as he shifted forward against Natasi.

"Now, when you feel that balance shift, you need to turn your back to the attacker's chest and tuck your center-mass shoulder into the grabbed shoulder--"

With a twist to his left, Dyrn tucked his shoulder against Natasi's - as best he could - then glanced back to her as he gave a wry smile.

"And then throw yourself forward as you keep turning, so the attacker goes sideways off balance as you tug the arm around in a whole other momentum... and toss them down to the ground on their back."

Then, with a continuation of his turn, Dyrn continued leftward on the spot - and the leverage suddenly had Natasi off her feet, as she spun by the arm he hugged, and was flung around and onto her back with a thud of mats, as Dyrn completed the move. He made sure to support her descent as much as possible, especially being aware of her shoulder joint and neck. He didn't want to hurt her, after all. He let go of Natasi's arm, as he knelt down beside her and reached out to touch her shoulder.

"Last bit. From here, you hit them with everything you have, by landing the single hardest strike you've ever given. A punch, an elbow, a kick to the ribs - it doesn't matter, you just attack once with everything, okay? Then, you run. To me. Or another Guardsman."

Dyrn smiled.

"Are you okay?" He helped Natasi up, if she accepted it, then took the butter knife in his hand. "Do you want to try? Tell me when, ma'am."

And if Natasi felt comfortable, Dyrn would position himself, and prepare to attempt a stab - in a controlled manner from his end - on her mid-section in a slowed speed...

Last edited:

Natasi Josephine Fortan was a woman of above-average height for her species. While she considered herself reasonably slim and in-shape, she also considered herself to be a statuesque individual, someone accustomed to having both feet on the floor. For these reasons, she was somewhat surprised when her bodyguard tossed her to the ground like she was a lace doily, and not even one of the more substantial lace doilies. She gasped as hauled her across the broad expanse of his back and then flung her to the mat with the softest, most feminine grunt she could manage under the circumstances.

She looked up at Dyrn from the mat, wide-eyed and blinking. In retrospect she was less surprised at his strength than the effortlessness with which he seemed to be able to shift her, and how little it hurt to land on the mat. She stayed there for a moment, a grin spreading across her face as she looked up at the bodyguard. "That was -- impressive," she breathed. "How much can you lift, exactly? That seemed like -- like nothing. By the Balance." Natasi put her free hand in Dyrn and allowed him to help her up. She handed over the knife and then brushed her backside and the back of her legs from any detritus that might have got there while she was on the mat.

Natasi agreed to give it a try and, as best she could, tried to mimic his movements, grasps, and actions. She deflected the lunging thrust with grace and panache. Her arms circled his muscled upper arm just as his had encircled hers. He had a much easier job of it, Natasi thought, as his arms were thicker with muscle than her own. She aimed a light kick at the side of his knee -- just enough to tap him, not enough to actually hurt. She trusted that he would at least play-act at being off-balance for the sake of training.

But when it came to the heavy lifting, both literal and figurative, although Natasi was eager and enthusiastic, when she jammed her shoulder to his in an attempt to leverage him over her shoulder and onto the mat again. She pulled. She heaved. She yanked. She strained. But if Dyrn moved at all, it was due to him humoring her. Finally, breathing heavily from the exertion, Natasi looked over her shoulder, blowing a few strands of hair from in front of her eyes as she looked over at Dyrn.

"This is hardly fair," she declared. "You're like -- a rock. Or a landspeeder. With the repulsors off."

For good measure, the Supreme Leader tried once more but when the man's massive size did not shift, Natasi simply sighed and rested her cheek on Dyrn's bicep above where her arms encircled his, in a somewhat awkward but no less genuinely felt embrace. "I might need to do some strength training," Natasi conceded hesitantly.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

Dyrn looked down at Natasi, his expression a mixture of mild concern and amusement. He made sure she was physically okay, no injury, and was content with that assessment once she grinned and responded. Impressive, it seemed, by her recount. The tall Guardsman grinned back. He couldn't help feeling a little pride at the surprise Natasi showed, as she asked about what he could lift. Once she was on her feet, Dyrn took the butter knife and added:

"I can lift quite a lot, yes, but functionally? Including movement with purpose?" Dyrn thought, as he considered. "Hm. I'd say I can be effective at increased speed wearing my armor, carrying you and the two children, to roughly a distance of five miles. Give or take."

But then it was time for Natasi to attempt the same grapple. With everything explained, as best could be for the initial effort, Dyrn stepped forward and did a comfortably paced stab action for the Supreme Leader's midsection. Natasi did handle the deflection of the blade very well, before she grabbed onto the taller man's arm, and then performed a kick for his knee - "Excellent, yes." - Dyrn said, as he felt the light tap against the side of his knee.

That would be enough to topple most humanoids.

To make sure the training proceeded as semi-realistically as possible, Dyrn acted as though his knee had buckled, and lowered as he stumbled back. Then bit his lip immediately after, as Natasi started to tug on his arm and strain to leverage his considerably larger form, though he couldn't deny the effort and energy she used. He realized his own mistake quickly, as he resisted the urge to chuckle, as Natasi looked back up at him with a huff of hair from her face - and it was the most beautiful she had ever been. Natasi tried once more, before she stopped and rested her chin against his arm.

"We can organize some strength training, certainly, however..." Dyrn said with a nod, as he continued to glance down at Natasi, whom still hugged his arm. "I did actually forget to mention something important, specifically for yourself, and I apologize. I forgot my leverage balance is easier to achieve."

With his free hand, which didn't have the arm grappled, Dyrn reached up and pushed the strands of hair behind Natasi's ear. His fingers were gentle, as he smiled, utterly proud of her attempts.

"You did amazingly, by the way. Your positioning, the deflection, all very well executed," He continued, genuinely impressed. "But, the one thing I forgot was this: if you're trying to leverage or flip someone considerably larger or heavier, it could require more than momentum... and in that case, you should put your entire body weight into the effort."

Dyrn adjusted his position, as he put himself off balance and eased his weight back as though he just been kicked to the knee.

"Okay. This time, when you pull my arm, I want you to drop to your knees and hunch forward into a ball. Basically become a human-sized weight on the end of my arm - and, if this were real, with the element of surprise, I likely wouldn't be able to stop going down... whenever you're ready."

And with an inhale of preparation, Dyrn focused on being ready to be flipped...

Natasi's eyes widened further when her guardsman informed her about what he could potentially lift. His ability to perform such feats -- and to answer her questions about it with an air of true humility -- made him irresistible to her. She looked away, her cheeks going pink, smiling broadly. She had to get a hold of herself; all this grinning probably made her look foolish and immature. But for the first time in a great while, Natasi felt immature -- or rather, young and carefree.

Dyrn patiently explained why she, all of a hundred and twenty or so pounds soaking wet, was unable to shift him. It made sense that he, with the strength he possessed, to shift her. "I see," she said, narrowing her eyes as he explained how she might get the better of him or another attacker that dwarfed Natasi in size. She nodded, absorbing his instruction. Along the way she reluctantly released his arm and squared up, taking a defensive position as he had done before.

She watched him lunge again, repeated her effort to deflect the blow -- again, with as much grace as she could -- and grappled his muscular arm with her own. She nudged his knee with her bare foot and when he affected lost balance, she again drove her shoulder at his with as much force as she could bring to bear. Natasi then did a small jump and lifted her legs beneath her, dropping to her knees, counting on gravity to aid her. Miraculously, somehow, she hauled Dyrn over her shoulder, flipping him onto the mat. She landed roughly on her knees, releasing his arm as he tumbled to the mat. He landed on his back and side, and Natasi behind him, one knee near his shoulder blades, the other behind his head.

Natasi shuffled toward him, putting a hand on his shoulder and leaning over his form. "Are you all right?" she asked breathlessly, genuine concern causing her eyes to widen. It was probably ridiculous to be concerned, since she had taken the same fall a few moments ago and was no worse for the wear. She felt compelled to explain the concern: "Only there's so much more of you to fall, and from much higher up." Natasi put a hand on his shoulder and another on his chest.

Dyrn seemed fine. Even, perhaps, a little amused. Her left hand reached up to brush a bit of hair from his forehead playfully before she stood up and offered both hands. Truth be told, if he really needed help, he'd be up a creek without a paddle, because she suspected they'd both be on the ground if he tried to lever himself up using her. Still, it was polite to offer, and Natasi could think of worse ways to spend a few moments than with her hand in his.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

Dyrn went through the process of the training attack again. He would do it as many times as it took. As long as Natasi was able to fend off an attacker with a blade or sharp object, that's all that mattered, whether it took a dozen flips onto his back or a hundred. The Supreme Leader proved adept at seeing and repeating movements, she had shown that skill throughout the -- training session, as it were, so far. So when Natasi once again deflected the butter knife with convincing display, Dyrn smiled to himself, before he felt her body grab his arm and her hair brush against his skin. And then Natasi tried the attempt.

Knee kicked.

Balance lost.

Shoulder planted.

Then, as she pulled him into a new momentum, Natasi hopped and dropped to her knees, as the leverage weight effectively tripled. Dyrn rolled with the toss once gravity had him, as he felt himself brought over and down, where he slapped onto the mat with a thud. In order to avoid injury to either of them, the Guardsman had splayed his limbs and absorbed the impact to maximize stopping, to not roll further or twist too much; no one needed a shoulder joint dislocated today. The move had been done near-perfectly, with very few adjustments or corrections needed, and Dyrn couldn't have been prouder of his training partner.

"That was all you," Dyrn said from his position flat on his back on the mat. He looked up at Natasi, as she shuffled over near his head on her knees, dark eyes showing concern as she reached down to touch his shoulder. Then when she touched his chest with the other hand, Dyrn felt his pulse quicken. "Yes, I'm all right. I survived your impressive counter-attack. At least today."

There was a moment where they just looked at one another, her fingers brushed hair from his forehead, and Dyrn smiled. He had been doing that - basically - since the training session had started. Not a usual expression for the typically stoic Guard Captain, who tried to maintain a visage of neutrality. But he couldn't help it, whenever they talked or looked or got close, Dyrn found himself with some expression on his face. Still, before long, Natasi stood up, which caused Dyrn to watch as she did so, before her hands were offered to pull him to his feet.

"Thank you," He said as he reached out and took hold of Natasi's hands. He paused, one eyebrow raised. "However... you shouldn't help your attacker to their feet, they might see that as an opportunity to press an advantage!"

With a solid pull, Dyrn used his body weight to bring Natasi down on top of him, pulling her close. He smirked, as he bodily rolled the Supreme Leader to one side, onto her back, as he came up and lifted a leg over her legs - straddling her thighs - as he pinned her. He looked into her dark eyes, playfulness on his face, as he leaned closer to her face with his own...

"But, hopefully they wouldn't take the chance to do this..."

Dyrn let go of Natasi's hands, as he planted his own on the mats, then inched down to barely a few inches from her nose. She was in control, despite the position they were in; if she wanted him off, he would comply, if she said no, he would comply, and if she wiggled free, he would not stop her. Still, heart thudding in his chest, the Guardsman added in a low, almost-whisper:

"May I kiss you?"

Natasi found herself once again on the mat, flat on her back. In the blink of an eye he had settled onto her legs, effectively immobilizing her beneath him. In any other context, it would have been highly inappropriate. But then again, Natasi had started the frivolity herself. Rather than indignation, she felt an uncharacteristic giddiness in the pit of her stomach. She watched him moving, eyebrows lifting as he placed a hand on either side of her head. She felt positively hemmed in.

It was not a particularly unpleasant sensation.

He leaned closer, and Natasi could read the writing on the wall. In a previous life, Natasi would have bristled or worse. In this instance, though, it felt right. She wanted to be there and she liked that he had taken the chance. Fortune favored the bold, as it were. She leaned forward, ready to kiss him, but he paused to ask permission. She stifled a laugh and leaned forward, letting her nose brush against his. "How can I say no?" she murmured quietly. Her hands lifted, finding his upper arms then moving up to his shoulders.

Their lips met, a light brush at first, but Natasi let herself become immersed in it. Her arms circled his neck, pulling him closer. One hand dropped to his back, fingers curling into the warm musculature of his back. Before too long, Natasi felt almost breathless; she reluctantly broke off the kiss and took a deep breath before opening her eyes again, looking up at Dyrn -- slightly pink and very abashed. "That was -- " she began, but fell silent, groping for words. She pressed another quick, soft kiss to his lips before smiling broadly. " -- really very nice," she concluded, brushing her nose against his.

The truth was, if she wasn't careful, she could see herself being -- for lack of a better phrase -- rather foolish about Dyrn Grav. Foolish, perhaps, but she was certain it would be a terribly pleasant experience for both of them.

"Are you quite satisfied?" she asked quietly, finally dropping her hands to the mat between her head and his hands. She looked up at him with a sense of mirth and irony. "With our first training session, of course."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

When Natasi responded with affirmation, Dyrn swallowed and continued to smile, as she gave permission to be kissed. She even touched her nose to his, which was enchanting and endearing. She pulled him close, he didn't resist, and he relished the touch of her lips against his. It was light, almost teasing, before they moved more fully into the embrace. Natasi's arms wove around Dyrn's neck, as he balanced and brought his right hand across to gently touch the side of her head, as he brushed her temple with his thumb, while feeling one of Natasi's hands on his back; and his skin felt electrified by her touch, even through the sleeveless shirt, and he couldn't think about much beyond the woman before him.

Not one to press more than appropriate, at least not at present, Dyrn followed Natasi's lead. He pulled back and inhaled with a smile, a grin actually, as parts of his emotions and feelings that had been firmly controlled were given some freedom. And when she commented on how very nice it was, the Guardsman couldn't help but chuckle as they kissed quickly a second time, before they touched noses again. When they parted to look at one another, Dyrn's blue-orange eyes caught every inch of her beautiful face and that glorious blushing.

"Really very nice," Dyrn said with emphasis, as he listened to Natasi ask about being satisfied, regarding the training session - of course. "Hm..."

Dyrn moved his hand from her cheek, to the mat, as he pushed himself up and inclined his head. He remained in the top position of a pushup for several moments, as he glanced down at Natasi, simply appreciating her. Then with a smirk, he shook his head - "Perhaps a little more training?" - then he lowered himself on strong arms again, effortlessly, to get close once again. "Repetition is key... or so I've been told..."

Dyrn felt amazing. He wanted nothing more than to kiss Natasi and hug her tightly, for as long as they could. Perhaps he was too bold? He wouldn't know, unless told, but there was just a need to enjoy what had developed between them a little longer, before the reality of the galaxy came crashing back down, and they were forced to adopt those public masks again...

"If you don't mind my saying," Dyrn muttered, as he leaned down near Natasi's neck. "You smell wonderful."

With his lips, the man began to kiss along Natasi's skin, below her ear and trailed down to her collarbone. He glanced to her, eyes alight with excitement and energy and contentment, as they subconsciously began to alter color. He was careful, however, not to overindulge in his enjoyment, so as to not embarrass himself, but it was safe to say that Dyrn relished the chance to find out what else he could kiss that she allowed...

Natasi was preparing to pull herself up from the mat.

Really, she was. Every intention. Even started to flex the required muscles, but then --

She didn't.

Dyrn's lips grazed her cheek, then down to her jaw, just below her ear. Her pulse quickened and she felt the soft warmth of Dyrn's breath on her soft, pale skin. The way the tip of his nose brushed against her made her shiver a little. She bit her bottom lip to stifle a noise that even she couldn't quite identify. She was sure he could detect the change as a nearly crimson shade rose from her chest, clawing up her neck and jaw to color her cheeks. So instead of getting up, Natasi closed her eyes, let out a soft, luxuriant sigh, and sunk back into the mat, turning her head to the other side so as to expose the real estate of her neck to Dyrn's whims.

His comment on her scent made her chuckle. "You're ridiculous," she murmured, her voice low as if she were afraid of being overheard. Perhaps it was just the surroundings; there had been plenty of moments when Natasi had wanted to kiss a boy behind a painted screen in her mother's ballroom and thus had learned to be stealthy. But they were alone now; the ballroom was Natasi's and she was a respectable widow who could, in theory, kiss anyone she wanted.

This neurotic internal monologue was interrupted when Dyrn's lips touched her jaw, then down her neck, beneath her ear. Her breath caught in her throat and then escaped in a surprised gasping groan when his lips found her collarbone. A jet of white-hot heat streaked through her. "Dyrn, I -- " she began, her breath shaking. She pushed herself up on one elbow to face her bodyguard, still flushing like a boiled lobster. Natasi put a hand on his chest and looked into his face.

"You haven't done anything wrong," she said quietly. "But -- I think -- it might be a little fast." Natasi felt like looking into his eyes undermined her resolve to keep things moving at a more modest pace, so she lowered her gaze to his mouth, which was somehow even less conducive to Natasi trying to maintain her modest approach. Her eyes flicked back up. His eyes were shifting in color; she wondered what he was seeing now, other than a ridiculous and unnecessarily prudish, red-faced woman.

She gave him a gentle push, guiding him over onto his back, and rested a hand on his chest as she sat cross-legged beside him. She could feel his heartbeat faintly. "I wish I could trust myself to make the sensible choices when you're so close to me," Natasi murmured, curling her fingers against his chest. "I'm afraid my impulses get the better of me when I'm near you." She looked down at him and smiled shyly.

"Besides," Natasi finally said, straightening her back importantly. "I believe I owe you an explanation about what a pub is. It's just a cantina, really, but an old-fashioned one. I thought it would be nice to give the staff the night off and spend some time alone without the threat hanging over us of -- say -- a deranged Bothan trying to spy on me. Besides, a walk would do us good. In my culture, courtship -- at least among people who got to court -- involved 'walking out,' which is exactly what it sounds like. You and a sweetheart would go walking. Maybe find a quiet bench somewhere to sit and talk. Eventually you might go to a pub for a bit of supper."

She finally climbed to her feet and turned to go collect her water bottle again, content to leave Dyrn to collect himself and makes whatever adjustments were necessary to allow him to stand again. "Do you still want to go? Or does it sound too painfully antiquated?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

It was a fine balance between appropriate and inappropriate, one that Dyrn knew he was losing. Around the moment his lips touched Natasi's collarbone, mere moments before she reacted, he suspected the release of pent up affection had been too much. So when Natasi pushed back somewhat, shifting into a resting position, hand against his chest... he knew for certain, and immediately felt ashamed of his brash behavior. The problem with suppressing emotions was the difficulty in controlling them when they happened. And even with the Supreme Leader's comment about nothing being wrong, there was the agreement that it was fast, especially from Dyrn himself. He would mentally admonish himself later, severely, but for now he didn't want to make Natasi uncomfortable with his agitation at himself.

"Y-yes, you are absolutely correct," Dyrn said as he looked down and nodded. The moment had run away with him. He was appalled with himself, honestly. "I -- should not have been so brazen, I apologize."

Still, Dyrn smiled, as he looked at Natasi again and listened to what she said. By that time, the position of the pair had changed, with Dyrn on his back and the Supreme Leader beside him, cross-legged, hand on his chest. He was more in control though, as he found her words equally endearing and kind. Dyrn felt the same way, really, and would endeavor to be more like who he should be around her. Nonetheless, with the passion calmed, there was a chance to return to a previous subject, which admittedly had been a mild confusion for the Guardsman...

"Oh. A cantina, I see," Dyrn said with a laugh, as he realized and put two-and-two together. "That makes sense, yes. I've never heard it called that, I admit. And I agree, some time together, without Bothan spies or listening devices in brooches, would be very enjoyable."

Dyrn listened as Natasi explained more about her culture, albeit a small portion, but interesting still. Courting, as it were. And how it involved walks, conversation on benches, and supper - he supposed that was the evening meal - in a pub. It wasn't so dissimilar to typical dating, he surmised, though the activities seemed more reserved for the Supreme Leader. Less holo-theatre and speeder ride, more walks through gardens and traditional tea sharing? He supposed that made sense, with his small understanding of Gildraani society, but there was a lot for Dyrn to learn and understand so as to not impose on Natasi's comfort levels.

But I will learn it, and find the balance, for her.

"That sounds like a pleasant evening," Dyrn said as he watched Natasi stand and walk to her water bottle. He sat up himself, as he hunched forward and took some moments to recompose. "And sometimes, in this age of technology, antiquities can prove the most interesting and surprising to discover. It would be my pleasure to eat supper in a pub with you, Natasi."

Once sure he was in control, Dyrn stood on the mats and started to gather the various items around them. Gloves, bottles, butter knife. All were returned to the tray, before the Guardsman motioned to Natasi's hands and raised his eyebrows, though that - far more recently frequent - smirk returned...

"Before we finish, ma'am, maybe we should unwrap your hands? Unless you expect trouble in the pub from the local patrons?"

"You were not brazen," said Natasi, a hint of exasperation in her voice as she tried to reassure her companion that his actions were not worthy of an apology. "Well... not very brazen," she said with a minor mischievous undertone. "Granted, if my parents were in this ballroom today, I'd have been sent to a finishing school in the frozen north by my mother and you'd have been punched in the nose by my father, so perhaps we were both a little more brazen than this house has seen in living memory."

The truth was, Natasi thought it would be all too easy to slip into the comfortable routines of a romance with Dyrn Grav. He was personable and charming, extraordinarily good looking, and actually fun to be around. He had a good sense of humor and he seemed to like hers as well -- which was important, because Natasi knew it wasn't for everyone. She didn't want to skip the important parts, though. She didn't get to know Talbot until they were married, and that wasn't going to happen this time. Natasi wanted to know Dyrn, and for him to know her. For him to decide that apart from the glamor of her position and that she was reasonably attractive, she was worth spending time with. And it would be a lot of time, if things progressed to the point of no return.

Divorce was a dirty word in Natasi's culture and class. Worse, even, than infidelity or affair or solicitation or premarital sex. So if it came to it, for Natasi it would be a lifelong commitment. But it was perhaps too early to tell Dyrn that. Besides, they hadn't agreed to anything in particular. And caution didn't mean that she couldn't enjoy a good snog along the way, or that she wouldn't continue to do so. And at some point it would need to go further than that. If a lifetime commitment was on the table, Natasi knew they had to be compatible in every way. Not just that they were attractive to one another or that they enjoyed each other's company.

She had to know that he would be satisfied with her in all facets of a marriage, and she with him.

The thought, which had made Natasi feel rather queasy when she had considered it with other potential matches, only made her feel warm inside and a faint sense of longing, which was not helped when she watched the movement of his muscular form towards her. She licked her lip and bit it subtly as she stared, not realizing how much she was subconsciously objectifying him until he asked her something about her wraps. "What?" she asked bluntly, then dropped her gaze to her hands. "Oh -- well, you never know, but -- perhaps we should take them off. I'm looking forward to continuing the training, though. I feel very invigorated. And that's only partially because of the... extracurricular activities." She held out her arms and watched him unravel the fabric. He was so good with his hands.

+ + +​

Dusk was long this time of year in Herevan. The twilight lasted for a few hours before the area was plunged suddenly into darkness. But at least the rain had stopped.

Natasi had opted for a walk because it would give her time to talk to Dyrn. She didn't care what about. She just wanted to get to know more about him. She dressed warmly but casually, and had let him know that he didn't need to dress up too much. For her part, Natasi wore a long hunter-green turtleneck sweater -- not quite long enough to be a dress -- over a pair of form-fitting trousers and long boots reminiscent of riding breeches and boots. Over all this she wore a long woolen coat to shield against the chill.

It was a short walk from Herevan Hold to the village, probably fifteen minutes. Parker set out ahead of them to ensure that the way was clear and the pub would be safe. "I thought you'd be able to relax a little more if you knew the place had been swept. We'll have a private room so we won't be bothered," Natasi told Dyrn as they set off in Parker's wake. "At least, I hope you will."

"Would you be willing to do me a favor?" she asked as they came to Herevan's gate. The gate man let them out and onto the village road. They turned right. "First of all, before I ask for any favors, I should ask: who are you tonight? What name should I call you?" Natasi looked over at Dyrn, trying to gauge whether he was coping with the cold. She hadn't thought to ask if he was wearing one of those fantastic undersuits. Natasi didn't see the need for a heavy security presence; Herevan Village was as loyal to the Fortan family as anyone. But she would defer to Dyrn; not only was he the professional, but she knew that he wouldn't be comfortable if he wasn't assured of her safety. "Whatever name that is, even if it's just for now until we get to town, can we...?"

Natasi's voice trailed off and she reached over to take Dyrn's hand, relishing in the warmth of his fingers in the cool evening air. "That's not the favor, by the way," she added with a confidential smile in his direction.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

It would reassuring to know that, despite how forward Dyrn had felt, it hadn't been too much. At least not for Natasi. The same couldn't be said about the mansion, to which the Guardsman hoped the wallpaper wouldn't peel in protest or shock. It seemed propriety and manners were the highest form of civility for the Fortans, and Dyrn couldn't help but think back on how the pair had been pawing at one another in the middle of the ballroom. It was equally unprofessional but exciting. And even though he had admonished himself between words with Natasi, Dyrn couldn't deny he felt a real thrill around her, when they got close.

It was a simple matter to remove the wrappings from Natasi's wrists and hands, to which Dyrn did so. During the moments of silence, he pondered how things might work between them. He didn't doubt that there would come time for some drastic changes, especially to his position as a Guardsman, but for the moment that didn't seem a problem since things had just blossomed, as it were. Logically, Dyrn knew it was his responsibility to say something, to prepare a report or to inform others... but at the same time, there was no real justifiable conflict of interest, as his responsibilities remained unchanged, it was just the degree of personal connection that altered.

I have all the more reason to protect Natasi.

For now, he would let it be. There was no point in acting rashly, before anything was actually decided, so instead Dyrn focused on the upcoming date. Since it was a date. It was amusing to think on that, as it had been a long time since the Guardsman had been out with someone romantically, so he hoped there wasn't too much rust. Still, he couldn't deny how much he looked forward to it, especially seeing more of Natasi's life and where she spent some of her time living.

"All done," Dyrn said as he removed the last wrap. He bundled it up, then looked back to Natasi. "So, let's call this session finished... and I will see you this evening, if not before if needed? I look forward to seeing the pub with you. Your Excellency."

Sadly it was time to put the proverbial mask back on. If only for a few hours, until later that evening...

royal_guard_spacer.png

It had been fortunate that someone - likely Natasi - had seen fit to have some clothing prepared and delivered to Dyrn, not long after his appointment as the Supreme Leader's guard. After all, Dyrn tended to own very little in the way of attire, and had very few clothing items in his personal case in his personal quarters. So having some additional options allowed the Guardsman a chance to pick and choose something of an outfit, from the larger wardrobe of choices. In the end, based on what he had seen for casual wear around Herevan, Dyrn opted for a tan turtleneck, a warm hickory-brown jacket, a pair of trousers and comfortable shoes. The outfit was casual, warm, but not so much that it would be uncomfortable inside; and he didn't wear the under armor, not this time.

Before long, Dyrn walked beside Natasi, as they enjoyed the chill air and fading light of the day. She looked very appealing in the outfit worn, though Dyrn presented himself as a gentleman, and didn't ogle her. Too much. Thankfully Parker had been sent ahead, in order to provide the preliminary security needed for the pair, which felt odd; on the one hand, Dyrn felt compelled to do the task as it was his job, but on the other he also wanted to enjoy as much time on the walk with Natasi as possible. It was a difficult position to be in, but Dyrn distracted himself - for the most part, he was still a Guardsman - with the conversation.

"I appreciate that, really," Dyrn said as Natasi informed him of the inclusion of Parker. "It does provide a greater sense of ease, though I will say I can't completely turn off, as it were... so please excuse random head turns or changes in attention? Old habits."

Dyrn's attention shifted wholly to Natasi when she asked about a favor. He was all ears. Yet, it seemed the Supreme Leader wanted to clarify something else, first, which was fair. When asked about his alias, Dyrn considered for a moment. "I'd like to be Dyrn, if that's acceptable," The Guard Captain said with a little smile and a small shrug. "Tonight is about bonding, and I'd like to be me. For you. Besides, as you said, we will have a private room, so there's little point in using an alias for the evening... so let us be Natasi and Dyrn."

Despite himself, Dyrn's shoulders squared a little bit at that. He quite enjoyed that underlying pride at being with Lady Fortan, who he saw as a very desirable - if unfailingly modest - woman. He couldn't deny there had been other thoughts about her, too, such as what their future might be like and how it might work out. There was also the 'less appropriate' thoughts, which Dyrn kept to himself, so as to remain focused on the more important bonding experience. Then Dyrn felt his hand touched, held, by Natasi's own - and he immediately grabbed hers in return, as they walked. Her skin was so warm, her fingers felt perfectly placed in his own, and he smiled as he looked down to where they touched.

"I'll hold your hand whenever you wish me to," He said in a low voice, as he glanced to her and sought those dark, mesmerizing eyes. "If you feel comfortable with the circumstance, please know I want to just as much."

Still, it seemed the hand holding wasn't the favor, to which Dyrn made a face and inclined his head...

"Oh? Please, pray tell, what is the favor?"

"I was hoping you'd say that, Dyrn," Natasi murmured happily. Thus linked, hand in hand, they proceeded pleasantly along the road. "Ah yes -- the favor." She hesitated, her fingers lacing between his. She had an idea in mind, but now that it came to asking for it, she wondered if it might be too much to ask. "I'll preface that by saying that you are by no means obligated to agree. In fact, I insist that you say no if you have any issues."

"What I'd like," she said, stalling a little as she phrased her request, "is to have you setup a workshop in one of the disused staff quarters on the Allegro. I mean, I'd like you to do that regardless of whether you agree to my favor. I want you to have a space of your own for when we're traveling together, and the staterooms aboard the ship are not terribly spacious. But more than that," she said, pausing to swallow, "I was hoping we could try to put together a model together. I've never done one and I'm curious and interested. But as I said, if it would be an intrusion on your personal space and time and your hobby, then I'd rather not push in."

The last thing she wanted was to have Dyrn get bored of her presence, or worse, irritated by it. The old truism that familiarity breeds contempt was a truism for a reason. As it was, even before they had tiptoed into edges of the romantic tide, they had been living in close quarters for months. Natasi couldn't think of anything that he did that she found objectionable, but she had never asked him that. Maybe the way she hummed when she read the newspaper or the way she tapped her pen when reviewing documents or the way she cleared her throat set his teeth on edge. His hobby was an escape and as much as Natasi was loathe to think of herself as something to be escaped from, she was possessed of enough self-knowledge as to realize that it was a possibility.

"Truly," she reiterated firmly. "We can devise another activity to try together if you'd prefer."

The potential innuendo within this comment blew past her as she looked up to see an older man on a bicycle who, as he approached, doffed his cap in greeting to the pair. He murmured a quiet milady -- sir as he passed. The Countess of Herevan looked over to Dyrn and smiled lightly. "You get used to that after awhile," she said. "Herevan isn't terribly large, so everyone knows everyone. At least, they all know me and I try to know them. My family have been their landlords for centuries. It's George, now, of course since -- well, you know," she concluded delicately. It was too lovely an evening to talk about her own untimely death. "I'd like to think they're friendly, not because of that, but because our families have worked shoulder to shoulder for as long as the village has been here."

They approached the outskirts of the village, with farmland giving way to small cottages. In the near distance, along the main road, multi-story stone buildings rose above them, but nothing more than four stories. It was quaint and quiet; technology was present, of course, droids and speeders and things, but the architecture looked like a page from a history book or a period drama. "It must look ridiculous," she said quietly, some self-deprecating humor in her tone, reaching up to brush a strand of chestnut hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear again. "But there's nowhere like home."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner2.png

Dyrn smiled to Natasi, as the preference for his avoidance of an alias was confirmed, and he couldn't help but share her happiness. There had been so many years recently where his own identity had been defined by everyone else around him, especially his Royal Guard instructors and superiors, right up until he was appointed Guard Captain. Then that position had been 'Dyrn', insofar as his career was concerned, and that had been that. Now, though, the individual behind the soldier had a chance to be seen again, and by someone who truly mattered to him, which made it all the more gratifying. And when Natasi came back to the favor, and offered a preface to the request, Dyrn raised an eyebrow...

"As you say," He murmured, unsure of what to expect. "I understand..."

Then Natasi brought up the possibility of a workshop aboard the Allegro, in a stateroom of the many unused, for... starship modeling, together? Dyrn blinked, entirely caught by surprise, as she went on to explain some of the details and what she would like. Between her pauses and uncertainty, and the way she pushed on, and then followed up with a clarification that it was up to Dyrn himself to decide. Well, the tall man couldn't help but start to chuckle, as he took the request as the invitation to spend more time as exactly that, a chance to spend more time. It also surprised him to realize that Natasi was taking an interest in his main hobby, which... well...

"I would enjoy that, I think," Dyrn said after a few moments, as he squeezed Natasi's hand firmly with his grin. "Are you sure my nerdy hobby won't change your mind about me? It is one thing to be told about it, but quite another to see me in action... hunched over a small model, little tools in hands, magnifying lens and light on the desk..."

He didn't want to dissuade her, not by any means, but there also needed to be some preconceptions addressed. The hobby was not glamorous, it was very messy and finicky, but if Natasi wanted to join him then Dyrn would welcome her. In fact, it could prove very amusing to see the Supreme Leader trying to handle some flexiglue as she wrestled with the dorsal attachment of a Star Destroyer model. That confirmed it, Dyrn liked the idea, and he couldn't wait to see exactly that. And yet, Natasi also added that they could find another activity, if he preferred...

Oh.

That double entendre made him swallow and his inhale sharp, but he otherwise maintained his composure with reliance on his training. Dyrn just never figured he would use it for a turn of phrase from the Supreme Leader, though. Not in circumstances as such. Yet, the moment passed immediately, as movement from ahead caught the Guardsman's eye, and he instinctively tensed. An unknown individual on a -- well, a pedal propelled vehicle -- that brought the sentient directly to the Supreme Leader. When the seemingly elderly man raised his arm, all of Dyrn's senses kicked into high alert, as he gripped Natasi's hand tightly and went to step in front of her--

"Milady, sir."

--and watched as the elderly man tipped his hat, then continued on his way. Dyrn stood there, still as a statue, as his bright eyes watched the retreating form on the vehicle. Natasi's voice broke through the moment, as she mentioned it was common, as everyone knew everyone and the people in the area knew her. That made sense, admittedly, however the Guardsman couldn't deny that getting used to similar greetings randomly might remain something he wasn't used to. He couldn't allow that kind of complacency to occur, not for him, at any rate.

I'm shaking. Hm.

With a grunt, Dyrn clenched his jaw and tried to process the kick of adrenaline that ebbed through him. He had been fully prepared to intervene against the possible threat, and even though he felt foolish after the fact, it remained that being seen as over-reactionary was preferable to -- losing Natasi from apathy or a false sense of security. Dyrn looked down to the Supreme Leader, as he tried to ease his expression and smile back at her, with a forced nod.

"I understand," He said, at the same time as easing his grip on her hand. He gave an apologetic expression to that. "I didn't grip you too hard? That reaction... it will always be part of me, I cannot stop it, nor can I allow it to stop. I hope you understand. I will try and work on having it become more subtle, especially the - uh - after effects... the adrenaline. That's why my hand is shaking."

That, and the relief. They continued onward, and soon reached the town.

"This place is pleasant. Quiet, traditional. The buildings look very different from anything I've seen, I admit, but I don't dislike them," Dyrn looked around the old architectural dwellings and constructions, a degree of curiosity on his face. There was technology around, juxtaposed against the more hand-crafted town itself, but it didn't seem too out of place or cause any real conflict to the atmosphere of the town. It was just another way of living, which helped Dyrn learn more about Natasi. "I like it, in fact. Although, I did have one question..." Dyrn furrowed his eyebrows as he looked to his charge. "Natasi, what vehicle was that old man driving?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom