Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules Update Racism, Misogyny, Homophobia Have Been Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody help im not sure if im too woke or if this thread is chocked full of self-reporters

You made a broad reactionary ban on what types of roleplay are allowed because you didn't like someone's character bio. People have been asking for clarification on the extent of the ban and you've given vague, condescending answers. I’m not defending the people still debating over whether there are examples of misogyny and xenophobia in canon, but a clear, concise response would resolve the issue of people wanting to know if they can write about a backwards/corrupt society without getting hit with a ban hammer.

You made a broad reactionary ban on what types of roleplay are allowed because you didn't like someone's character bio. People have been asking for clarification on the extent of the ban and you've given vague, condescending answers. I’m not defending the people still debating over whether there are examples of misogyny and xenophobia in canon, but a clear, concise response would resolve the issue of people wanting to know if they can write about a backwards/corrupt society without getting hit with a ban hammer.

9 responses from an Admin who triggers conversations with the community about subjects like this and I get "vague and condescending." I could've just locked the thread and said suck it up, buttercups.

I agree with most of your summary though, but c'mon, give me some credit, I'm pretty direct in questioning some of these very far reaching and questionable takes.

9 responses from an Admin who triggers conversations with the community about subjects like this and I get "vague and condescending." I could've just locked the thread and said suck it up, buttercups.

Then can we please just have a normal conversation without you memeing or trying to look like you’re too cool and/or righteous to be bothered? Half the time I can’t even understand what you’re trying to say, it’s so mired in inside jokes and doublespeak.

I agree with most of your summary though, but c'mon, give me some credit, I'm pretty direct in questioning some of these very far reaching and questionable takes.

You’re wasting your time on the low-hanging fruit rather than addressing the actual issue. I get that you’re sick of dealing with us, but come on. Make an effort or let someone else handle it.

I’ll put in my final thoughts since Salamander here so blatantly called me out on my tact and “self-righteousness”, and then I’ll leave it alone since I had a very educational voice call with a handful of roleplayers in the Dark Empire discord. Honestly Salamander kinda has my number on how I’m responding so I guess the jig is up, so based ig.

I view a lot of the discourse, the rebuttals in this thread, as ridiculous. I’m far from a white knight or “self-righteous”, in my own personal opinion, but they are. In their basest form, the rebuttals all have a common denominator- they are far reaching and ridiculous and have little to no evidence backing any of them up. The writers know that, there’s no changing minds or meeting in the middle, so I respond with ridiculousness.

I don’t think it’s malicious intent, though. I think they’re just uneducated on the culture and meaning of some of these labels we’re throwing around, like misogyny. And when cornered in a room of their peers, none of these writers would say “I support misogyny, racism, etc.” For example, you have one rebuttal in this thread conflating racism with xenophobia. How am I to discuss these subjects with a person that has a completely incorrect understanding? How do I correct their education without sounding patronizing, as an Admin of the forum?

And then there is the argument that one guy got banned for this, so now this is a reactionary ban. So… does it not count now?

…and to expand on that, what bans aren’t reactionary?

I would agree there can be a separation of proactive rulings and reactive, but its all reactive, and to make the argument is reductive. I thought it was a conversation worth having. I succeeded in stimulating it. If anything, my righteousness stems from doing my job. Sometimes communities gotta address these issues, and the timing nor reason doesn’t always have to be to your liking. It just matters that it happens.

Staff has the ball now, I’ll see where they wanna go with it and mediate the result.

Royal High Commander, Ducha of Charubah
In all seriousness, I have been writing Hapes in any medium I have written for it in as getting more egalitarian and less "Hapes is a misandrist gynocracy". It is possible to have a faction which isn't flat-out misandrist while still honouring a canonical culture which insists "Women are the heads of households, the family name passes through the mother, and there is a female preference for inheritance of titles among the nobility." That said, I would find difficulty in allowing a male to rule Hapes when it is explicitly a part of the canonical faction's culture to deny the Hapan throne to men.

Would it not be more acceptable to honour certain matriarchal traditions while nominally having men and women equals on paper similar to the RL status of women post-suffrage and post-civil-rights-movement? Hapes won't be Hapes if we have to mirror the Combine community's version of the faction where they suddenly allow Kings and other male rulers when that's been culturally forbidden for all of the country's existence. I think a happy medium is possible, but it necessarily needs to still feel like the canonical Hapes as closely as possible.

Royal High Commander, Ducha of Charubah
Hutts go out of their way to buy attractive women, put them in metal bikinis, and chain them up on their dais in sultry poses, occasionally making them dance or else they get rancor pitted. Jabba did, if no one else. If buying a woman for her sexual appeal, putting her in a skimpy outfit that shows her body off, and killing her if she doesn’t dance for you and your guests isn’t a misogynistic take from a character at best and a species at worst, then idk what would fall under that banner.

Tbh, I’m more surprised at the ban existing at all. It seems like a solution looking for a problem - haven’t been as active as I used to, but feels like there would be a lot of people talking here or on the Discord(s) about it if woman-hating, gay-bashing, or racism was becoming prevalent enough in RPs to warrant a ban by staff on anything even remotely resembling it on the board.
Jabba the Hutt did this because he's trying to project power to others. He's saying, "I have what you want. You like this slave girl I have chained before me, scantily clad and luscious-looking. I'm powerful. I'm the real deal. You do good work for me, you can have a slave like her, too. Cross me and I'll put a bounty on your head so big you can't go anywhere near a civilized star system." And, frankly, it works. It projects the gangster vibe and it also makes you, as the viewer, hate him and recognize him as a villain.

In all seriousness, I have been writing Hapes in any medium I have written for it in as getting more egalitarian and less "Hapes is a misandrist gynocracy". It is possible to have a faction which isn't flat-out misandrist while still honouring a canonical culture which insists "Women are the heads of households, the family name passes through the mother, and there is a female preference for inheritance of titles among the nobility." That said, I would find difficulty in allowing a male to rule Hapes when it is explicitly a part of the canonical faction's culture to deny the Hapan throne to men.

Would it not be more acceptable to honour certain matriarchal traditions while nominally having men and women equals on paper similar to the RL status of women post-suffrage and post-civil-rights-movement? Hapes won't be Hapes if we have to mirror the Combine community's version of the faction where they suddenly allow Kings and other male rulers when that's been culturally forbidden for all of the country's existence. I think a happy medium is possible, but it necessarily needs to still feel like the canonical Hapes as closely as possible.

Your personal headcanon doesn’t reflect the depiction of Hapes written by other members of the board. In general, the Legends version of the planet is the same as the Chaos canon: a cutthroat matriarchal monarchy that treats males as second class citizens.

However, this thread isn’t really the place to discuss the current IC state of Hapes. If you want to get involved in the Equal Rights Act narrative, we can talk in PMs or over Discord.

Your personal headcanon doesn’t reflect the depiction of Hapes written by other members of the board. In general, the Legends version of the planet is the same as the Chaos canon: a cutthroat matriarchal monarchy that treats males as second class citizens.

However, this thread isn’t really the place to discuss the current IC state of Hapes. If you want to get involved in the Equal Rights Act narrative, we can talk in PMs or over Discord.

You’re going too hard, Sally. Pump the brakes that person wasnt infringing your right to an Equal Rights GA story, just expressing how they write something. To segue back to the conversation at hand, its like your definition and their definition isn’t the full definition. Interpretation lies somewhere in the middle.

Locking the thread, I think we’ve heard enough on the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom