Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Pride of the Lion

City of Heavenheim
World of Midvinter

"You've truly outdone yourself," the recovering husband complimented his wife on the state of their private garden, knowing full well it was a hobby she took the greatest pride in. Since their settling in this area, she'd been hard at work turning their front yard into a floral paradise, going to great lengths importing rare plants from other exotic worlds and painstakingly introducing them to the harsher climate of Midvinter. To wander the stone-lain path through their garden was to stroll through a collage of nature's wonders, each more beautiful than the next.

"I only regret I wasn't here to lend a hand, watch it all bear fruit with you."

Coci held him by the arm as they enjoyed their leisurely stroll, resting her head against his shoulder. "You are here now, my sweet man. That is all I could ever ask for. Besides, there are better things to do than to sit and watch the grass grow. I rather wish I could have gone with you, see some excitement as we used to in our youth." A soft chuckle escaped Thurion, though he recognised the true meaning behind her choice of words. The main reason for his retirement in the first place.

They only had another decade or so before old age would become a detriment to Coci's health. The truth neither wished to speak of was the fact that, unless they were to fall in battle or some other calamity befell the pair, he was destined to outlive her. Hence why these next handful of years were so important to them.

"Thurion, I know you had good cause for being away, and with the best intentions at heart. You can take the man out of the Jedi but you cannot take the Jedi out of the man. There will always be a need for you to go off and protect others, it's in your nature. Believe me, I've felt that same urge numerous times since leaving the Silvers all those years ago, but chose instead to direct that wanderlust into furthering our work here on Midvinter. I may be the leader of the Jedi enclave but you are our King. Your presence is needed here, with your people. Let others worry about the state of the galaxy for once."

His wife's word resonated deeply with his troubled mind, hitherto divided between the good of the galaxy and the good of Midvinter. It was an impossible balancing act, one he couldn't hope to maintain forever. In the end, he'd chosen Midvinter. He thanked Coci for the clarity of her wisdom by putting his arm around her and placing a kiss in her greying hair.

"I swore on the day I departed for Tython that I would devote myself to you and the kids, and I intend to follow through with it. I don't believe I possess the stomach for another war of such terrible magnitude. The world seems to have gone all crooked lately; gone are the days of conventional warfare, pitting two armies against one another and letting skill determine the outcome. These days there is too much cloak-and-dagger, too much subterfuge and too much reliance on ever-evolving technology. I find myself unable to keep up."

Now came Coci's turn to let out a snort, as if mocking her husband.

"You've been complaining about growing old for the last twenty years, love, but that has got to be the most elderly thing you've ever said. You sound like Uncle Bors. Shall I start calling you 'Grey-Lion', perhaps?"

Realising she was having a laugh at his expense, Thurion stopped dead in his tracks and proceeded to swoop her off her feet, picking her up like she was nought but air into his strong arms and twirling around in place, much to her delight. The two shared a laugh before their noses touched, soon followed by the deepest of kisses. He laid her down on the grass, her hair splayed out in all directions, beautifully framing her face as it mingled with fallen leaves.

There, in the shade of a cherry tree blossom, the King and his Queen lay down together much as they would have in their youth, free of all fears and burdens. There were only the two of them and their shared love, unwavering after four decades of marriage. Who knew what the future held for them? Right now, it mattered none.

The work of a monarch is never done; doubly so for Papa, whose time away had delegates lining up. The Ministry Council had done their part in holding down the fort in his absence, and for decisions requiring the King's approval, Mama had stepped in to either break the stalemate or give the stamp of approval on his behalf. She had his complete trust in all things.

Now that he was back, however, many clamoured for the Lion King's attention. Work days were long; the Queen would often find her husband asleep on his throne long after everyone else had cleared out. Today was one of those long days.

"Papa?" The creak of wood followed a gentle knock on the door to her father's study as the door pushed open. Inside she found the old man with his head down on his desk, snoring into a half-written piece of parchment. No doubt another letter. Nina slipped through the crack and snuck over to his side of the desk, making sure to place the quill back in the inkwell before seating herself on his armrest and leaning over him, embracing him from behind.

This moment of tenderness led to Thurion stirring from his nap, finding a page stuck to the side of his face. Looking over his shoulder he found his eldest child clinging to him, not saying a word. Moreso than with any other member of her family, Nina preferred these quiet moments with her father. It reminded her of their first couple years together, when it was just the two of them; before mother, before Théo or anyone else. They had lain the foundation for their family, long before there was such a thing as House Heavenshield.

Rather than greet her conventionally, Thurion raised his hand and made the sign for "hello". Nina smiled wide and returned the gesture, followed by a kiss on his bearded cheek.

"Mum sent me to walk you home," she added with further signs. "She says you're working too hard. You need more rest."

"I know," he signed back at her, "Just wanted to catch up on events here at home. I have been away too long."

Sitting upright for a more comfortable stance, Nina was quick to find a seat on his lap with her arms around his neck, effectively embracing him. Even though an adult for many years, she still felt the most peaceful in her father's arms. Then suddenly there were soft whimpers coming from the white-haired girl. A few tears streaked down her face to dampen the fabrics of his shirt.

Thurion looked down at his daughter and signed, "What's wrong?"

Nina looked up at him and smiled through her tears. "I'm just so glad you're here. Home," she signed. "I thought I'd lost you. We all did."

Her father smiled back at her, nuzzling the tip of her nose with his. "I could never do that to you. Your mother wouldn't allow it."

Nina's giggle broke the extended silence, prompting her to wipe the wetness from her eyes and stand back up. Thurion followed suit, pushing himself to his feet using the armrests. A few bones popped from the sudden activity. His daughter was quick to take him by the arm, walking him out of his office.

"How are things on your end, Snowflake," they continued their silent conversation through the gestures of their hands as they headed for the exit, leaving the darkly-lit Keep behind for the day.

The art of battle runs more plentiful than blood in Valkyri veins, it is said. The harshness of the lives they lead demands a high tolerance for pain and great physical fitness to survive the daily struggles and weather the elements. Although blessed with a natural resistance to cold and a remarkable physique - indeed, some would call it superhuman - nobody is born with the innate knowledge of the proper use of a sword or spear. It requires daily practice, something which all members of Valkyri society are encouraged to undergo.

None took more pride or pleasure in such martial mastery than the Young Lion of House Heavenshield. Even as a small child his heart was that of a warrior, eagerly challenging even the hardiest of warriors for a sparring match only for the adults to laugh it off and send him scurrying off. Growing up, Thirdas built a reputation of being foolhardy, zealous, and tempestuous, often getting him in trouble with the other boys. His father may have been Lord of Fridheim at the time, but this did not earn the lad any special sympathy; he had to learn the hard way, same as everyone else.

Now as an adult, with scores of victories under his belt, the young prince stood toe-to-toe with the best Midvinter had to offer. While staying for his father's recuperation, he was more than happy to get his hands dirty and test his mettle against those same men that laughed at him as a child.

"Come on," he invited the burly man to throw another punch, both combatants covered in mud and sweat as they fought in the ring. "That the best you got?!" The blonde played mind games on his opponent, taking each hit without dodging or flinching, grinning from ear to ear with delight. As the hulking warrior reared up for his most powerful strike yet, this time Thirdas retaliated.

As the fist came thundering forth, flesh buckled and bones broke against impervious metal, leaving the man howling in pain. His hand was broken, having rammed straight into Heavenshield's own fist, made entirely of phrik steel. The throng of onlookers all winced at the once-boastful man being humbled while applauding the youngster's skill and fortitude. With his opponent grovelling on his knees, Thirdas wiped the blood running from his nose and spat on the ground as he pace back and forth, subjugating the fool before him.

"That's one mean right hook ye got there, lad," he spoke once the initial pain had subsided. "Yer alright."

A pleased grin replaced the menacing stare as Thirdas reached out to the man, who accepted defeat by allowing his opponent to pull him to his feet. The pair hugged it out to the cheer of the crowd. Soon that same crowd parted, however, as the unexpected appearance of the King had everyone bowing their heads. For a moment Thirdas expected his father to admonish him for brawling in the mud. Wouldn't be the first time.

"Well done, son," Thurion congratulated his youngest boy, ruffling his dishevelled hair before a towel was provided with which the fighter might clean himself. "Thanks, Dad." He then turned to the defeated champion. "Arnolf, go see the healers at Erin's Reach. Have them take a look at your hand."

"Thank you, Your Grace. I will."

The spectacle having concluded, father and son wandered elsewhere.

"Look, I know it was stupid of me, but that guy had it coming. Calling me names all the time..." But Thurion did not reprimand his child, rather he put his arm around him as they strolled. "Relax, I'm not going to berate you. Remember what I used to tell you growing up?"

"Don't go around looking for fights," the younger recalled, shoulder's somewhat slumped. "But if you must fight," his father added, "win."

A cheered-up Thirdas walked tall once more beside his father, still the shorter of the two. "Come on, ya meathead. Let's get you cleaned up for dinner. One last supper while everyone's gathered."

"Hey, Dad?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna ask her to marry me, first chance I get."

"That you should, son. That you should."

A family dinner was being held at the Heavenshield homestead, and the whole clan was in attendance. One last get-together before they would all scatter to the four winds once more, each laden with duties elsewhere. As for Bors? He would follow his lord back to the Northmark in the morning, along with Lady Ylva and their little ones.

He'd stepped outside to get some air and watch the sunset from the porch overlooking the Golden Gulf, so named for the glittering of the sun's last rays dancing on its waves. Aye, this place was fetching, that was for sure.

"I thought I saw you sneak out," his nephew sidled up to him, leaning against the railing. "Uncle?"

"You have a beautiful home, my boy," the elder replied, comfortable with dropping the formalities when nobody was around to notice. "I envy you, seeing the old man off each night." Thurion gazed out across the waters, watching the sun set slowly on the horizon. "Does he listen when you speak to him, do you reckon?"

"I believe he does. My heart tells me so." Bors let out a grunt born of scepticism mixed with a deep sense of longing. "What do you say to him?"

Thurion took a moment to think. "I tell him about my day, the good and the bad, that kind of stuff. But mostly I tell him about his family. That we miss him, and that we love him. Each time I do, I can feel his warmth wrap around me like a blanket before he goes to bed beyond the horizon."

As his nephew spoke, Bors looked at his profile bathed in the orange glow of the setting sun. "You look like him, you know..."

He had to turn away to hide the emotion visible on his face, but it did not pass Thurion by unnoticed. He settled a hand on Grey-Boar's slumped shoulder. "Try it," he said. "See for yourself."

Bors hesitated at first but decided to give it a try. What's the worst that could happen, other than making himself look like a fool in front of his King? Thurion backed away, allowing him some space.

"Uh... Hello?" He cast a look back on Thurion, who encouraged him to keep going. "Thrand. My brother. I hope you're well, wherever you are. Probably busy having a drink with Helm, or perhaps Teign? Or maybe you're just stuck inside that yellow ball of light, cursed to rotate all day long. Hah, I bet you get real dizzy!"

The old man chuckled, but these were soon replaced with a long sigh.

"I want you to know... I want you to know, that I'm keeping my promise. I'm looking after your descendants as best I can. All my life I've been a useless wretch, unworthy of being called your brother. It feels good to do something of worth, for once. And your kid... he's doing just fine," he looked back at Thurion, smiling. "This is their story now. Ours ended long ago."

Idle fingers picked at a renegade splinter in the otherwise pristine wood.

"I miss you. I would do anything to go back to the old days when we'd run through the woods with sticks for swords. You were my only friend, Thrand. Why did you have to go so soon? We were supposed to go together..."

Bors burst out in tears. Too much built-up emotion now erupted as he bared his soul to his childhood friend. Here he was, slowly coming apart as old age ate away at him. It wasn't fair, he thought.

But then he felt it.

Before the last light of the day could fade away, there was a sudden warmth engulfing him. He looked up, eyes filled with tears, and thought he could just make out the face of his sworn brother on the glittering waves. Though he couldn't be sure, it was enough to cause him to turn to his nephew, who responded with a smile and a nod.

The elder staggered towards him and cupped Thurion's face, taking a moment to simply soak him in. "Your father loves you very much," he then said. "As do I, Thurion Thrandson. Would that I could have held you like this as a child."

The pair embraced.

"You would have made a good uncle. The best."

With morning came the time for Théodred and his retinue to return home. The Lord and Lady of Norvegr-fen had journeyed south and west to attend to their father's reawakening and subsequently spent the next few days in Heavenheim to catch up with the rest of the clan, as well make certain Thurion was well enough to not require their immediate presence. After the third day came and went, it was time to depart for the North. But not before father and son could have a moment to themselves.

"Do you have everything," the King asked his oldest son, Crown Prince and heir apparent to the throne. "Warm furs, food for the journey... Thyri's skis?"

"Yes, Papa," Théo replied nodding, making a mental note of the times his father concerned himself with their luggage. "That's the third time you've asked. Everything's packed and loaded on the wagon. We're set to go."

"Good. Very good..." His father's reluctance was plain for all to see, and so he stopped them before they reached the gates where Théo's entourage awaited, taking him by the hand. "What's the matter, Papa? What troubles you so?"

The words got stuck in his throat for a second and had to push to get them out.

"These last couple of days... seeing you all together, even the little ones... These were some of my happiest days to be alive, Théo. I can't... express just how blessed I am, as a father, to have such wonderful children. To see you all interact... is so heartwarming that I don't have the words to describe it. I think back to my struggles growing up, and... I'm just so grateful none of you had to endure what I..."

His son's hand cupping his cheek put an end to his rambling yet heartfelt words, and he was left staring into the eyes of his firstborn meeting his gaze with absolute adoration. That same face he'd seen grow up, from an uncertain toddler to an adventurous youngster, to the experienced man now standing in front of him.

"It is all because of you, Papa. We owe everything to you and Mama. This house, this happy family, is the result of all your hard work. Since I was a small boy I've watched you struggle and fight to reach where we are now, and I know you still think you didn't do enough but that's simply not true. You did more than anyone ever could, and we're all better people because of it. No one bearing the name of Heavenshield will ever have to go through what you did, and I swear that when my time comes to lead this family, no one will ever forget the name of Thurion - All-Father of House Heavenshield."

The Lion's lip quivered at the close of his beloved son's words of lofty praise, too overwhelmed with emotion to speak. As Thurion proceeded to shed tears, so did Théodred; seeing your father, your idol growing up, weeping was always heartbreaking, even if said tears were of joy. Father and son embraced one another with as much heart as could be mustered, each finding comfort in the arms of the other.

"Grandpa!"

As little Thyri came running, Thurion finished their hug with a kiss on Théo's cheek and had just enough time to wipe his tears. Grandpa knelt just in time to catch the pounce of his grandson, hoisting him up into an embrace. "Aw, my sweet boy! Now I feel warm and safe again."

They resumed their walk down the street towards the gatehouse where Coci had bid her farewell to Ylva and Thora, patiently awaiting his and Théo's arrival. "Now, remember what I taught you about skiing. Don't go off on your own; you must bring your father or sister in case you hurt yourself. Promise?" Thyri nodded while clinging to his grandfather. "I p-promise, Grandpa."

Having finally reached the end of the road, Thurion lifted Thyri onto the wagon before turning to his older sister. "Take care of your brother now, you hear? He looks up to you, you know." Barely containing herself, Thora threw her arms around him and buried her face in his chest. "I will, Grandpapa. Pinky-swear." The two extended their pinkies and entwined them, making the unbreakable pact. He then kissed her on the forehead. "Off with you, then."

Next up was Ylva, the wife of his eldest son as well as a daughter to him and Coci. "Do you have everything--ow!" A sharp elbow from Théo cut him off before he could finish. "Right, of course, you do." He took her by the hand and placed a kiss upon it, followed by a warm embrace. "Take care of Théo for me, as I know you will."

He watched Thora and Ylva climb aboard the carriage to join the littlest Heavenshield before again he was faced with his firstborn son. Rather than embrace a second time, Thurion cupped his son's cheeks and pressed his forehead against his, that most intimate of gestures signifying the closest of relations, whether it be friendship or family. "Family, Duty, Honour," he told him.

"Loyalty, Strength, Heart," Théodred replied with his extension of the family motto. After bidding his mother farewell, Lord Heavenshield mounted his black steed and gave one last nod and smile to his parents before the Northern retinue began its long march home.

Grey-Boar brought up the rear, riding up next to where the King and Queen stood waving off their son and his family. "Fare-thee-well, Your Graces. Pray, forgive this old man, but I must follow my liege lord wherever he goes. Make sure he doesn't get up to something stupid!"

Thurion beamed a smile up at Bors in his saddle. "Perish the thought! He's lucky to have you, Uncle. Until we meet again."

And with that, the last of their children had left Heavenheim to resume their duties elsewhere, leaving only Thurion and Coci to watch them disappear into the distance. He clung to his wife, and she to her husband. Who knew when they would next see everyone together?

"Coci?"

"Hm?"

"I love you."

Their eyes met as they held each other. Such history between the two, the march of time seemed to stand still whenever they locked eyes. As if they were back to being in their twenties again.

"I love you, now and beyond this life."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom