Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Pressure Testing

44ab055d71dc36755a77cc732953c159.png

Opponent: Ryana mina Ryana mina
Z9U36lL.png

The Kel Dor had wanted to pressure test some of his combative skills with a unique weapon. Well, at least his improvised version of the weapon. He had a wooden staff separated into three segments and connected via string. It was his own recreation of a San-Ni Staff. A somewhat complex weapon often employed by various martial artists.

Training by himself with it could only get himself so far, as well as using it against practice droids. Practicing off and on ever since he lost his lightsaber. Especially back on his homeworld while waiting around for his uncle to train him. Ko thought back to the first time he attempted to use the segmented staff. Accidentally hurting himself in the process.

Right now he was waiting for his friend. The Lethan Twi’lek, and fellow padawan Ryana. Who he’d ask to engage in a bit of sparing to help him pressure test his skill with the San-Ni staff. He was waiting in the chosen dojo in the NJO temple. Casually maneuvering and swinging his wooden recreation of the weapon to pass the time. He heard that she was looking after another pet for someone else. Considering how much she had to manage Pip he figured she might be in over her head depending on how well her raycon would behave.

Also Ko wasn’t entirely how Ryana has been lately, or really any of his friends. He’d been away from the NJO for about two months. Maybe more considering the different times and rotational periods between Dorin and Coruscant. He hoped it could also double as a way to reconnect with the crimson twi’lek. Maybe even use the sparring and an outlet for some of the stress they’ve both endured. Especially with war on the horizon.

Tag: Ko Vuto Ko Vuto

To say ryana was in over her head was an understatement buster and pip being a bad influence on buster combined with busters puppy like energy made the pair more than a handful to deal with. But when she got a request to meet with ko and help him test his skills with his new weapon she couldn't refuse the real challenge was to get buster and pip to the dojo and keep them there. As ryana packed a few toys she got buster from the funds Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor And his wife gave her to keep him and hopefully pip busy so she could actually train with ko and not have to run after the little furballs. Ryana thought a moment and grabbed a doggy treat and a small bundle of grapes for pip showing them to get pips and busters attention "follow me and you'll get them" she said as she threw the small bag of toys over her shoulder and made her way to the dojo to meet ko.

As she walked in she tossed the doggy treat to buster and the grapes to pip and dropping the toys in a corner opposite the door as buster and pip gravitated towards that corner. The lethan twilek walked up to ko and smiled "it's been a while you look good" she said in a flirting tone teasing ko a little bit. "Please tell me your going into combat against sith wielding a stick held together by rope I have some spare lightsaber parts you can build a new lightsaber with" she said she kept the parts in a box not even pip had gotten into yet.

Z9U36lL.png

Once he sensed Ryana’s presence he stopped the idle twirling of his weapon. Listening to her comment about his appearance he “smiled” some under his antiox mask. “Good to see you too, and thanks. My time on Dorin was a bit more daunting than I was expecting.” He replied, offering some explanation for why he ‘looked good’. Having leaned out a bit from what his uncle subjected him to. The flirty tone seemingly went over his head. As he spoke he didn’t quite meet her gaze. Looking as though he was staring at something behind her. A consequence of his blindness.

Ko chuckled some at what she said about the makeshift weapon he had. “Thanks for the offer, but I’m good. This is just a practice version of an actual San-Ni staff. Aftering testing out some stuff with this, I’m glad I didn’t go through with getting a real one yet. I probably would’ve decapitated myself trying to learn the weapon.” Ko explained to Ryana, all the while also observing the two pets through The Force as well.

“Still though if I wanted to, I probably could make even this a capable tool. Force Weapon can offer a lot of versatility for Force Adepts in combat.” Ko said, not wanting to discount even his practice version of the San-Ni staff. Stepping over to a bag he had in the room he pulled out some foam tubes to slide over the sticks for added protection. Having no desire to accidentally bludgeon his twi’lek friend. “And thanks for coming Ryana, I think this will really help me get a better feel for San-Ni staff.”

Ryana stood there it was still a little wierd not looking ko in the eye or eye cover as he stared at the wall when they spoke but it didn't really bother her at all as pip and buster ate their treats without incident. For now anyway ryana wasn't to worried about buster though she was more worried about pip if he wasn't distracted by buster then he'd get up to his usual antics. And she would have to run after him while keeping buster in toe aswell.

She chuckled a little bit by ko's joke "I'm glad you didn't get a real one either I'd hate to see you lose your head plus who would pip annoy besides me if that happened" she joked. Hopefully ko would find it funny she was glad he was doing better and was training he didn't let the loss of his sight define him.

"Still relying on the force to imbue your weapon can lead you hot water if you end up in an area where the force is negated so probably not the best idea but still solid" she stated. As she walked to her bag she pulled out several rods that she screwed together into a pole as tall as she was "It's largely soft plastic with a metal core twi'leks have a ceremonial pole arm with a vibroblade at the end this isn't close but it should help me get used to it's length before I try training with the real thing" she said as she took a position in front of ko redy to fight.

Z9U36lL.png

As Ko listened to Ryana’s joke he wrapped the flexible weapon around the back of his neck while he held onto the small batons on either end of it. “Oh of course, but Pip is also pretty resourceful. I’m sure he’d find a new victim.” Ko replied, snickering under his mask some.

“That’s a fair point. Force Weapon allows someone to use practically anything as a powerful weapon capable of blocking a lightsaber. But as you just said if you remove that ability it’ll lose its effectiveness. Even just losing focus can be detrimental.” As a training tool using that ability in combat since he lost his first lightsaber has been helpful in emphasizing the importance of focus even during high octane combat. “Fortunately actual San-Ni staffs have some lightsaber resistant qualities already.”

Ko observed as Ryana got her own weapon ready. Some sort of pole arm. A mock weapon of cultural significance for Twi’leks. Which certainly seemed interesting. As Ryana got herself ready to spar, Ko flicked his flexible weapon around his body, some in a showy flourish before taking a ready stance. “Again, thanks a lot Ryana…” Ko said, wanting to get his gratitude across one more time before they begin sparing.

Already he could tell that his flexible weapon against her pole arm would create a lot of challenges for him to overcome. Ko would grab the tethered ends of both batons similarly to some dual stick fighting styles just with something connecting the two parts. The Kel Dor would move in to go on the offensive and try and keep the distance between himself and Ryana closer to make her longer weapon more cumbersome. Keeping his weapon in contact with hers to get a bit more control and tactile feedback.

ryana smirked as she leaned on her pole "he definitely is a resourceful little turd and mischievous but that just means he likes you" she said. With a playful smirk her pole didn't have the vibro blade end to it so it's closer range fighting would be somewhat limited if she didn't have experience in dealing with them.

From her past life "I guess your sani staff has an advantage over my races lyaer'tsa ours is just a vibroblade on a stick" she joked not meaning to demean her culture that she was never apart of. So she was curious what drew her to the spear/polearm in the first place she had a superior weapon already in her lightsaber she didn't want to use that here it would give her an unfair advantage plus she didn't want to do permanent damage to her friend.

As ko engaged ryana used her staff to block his sani staff attacks he was playing it smart keeping close so she couldn't use her staffs full potential for offense. As she blocked his attacks she used a dancers foot work to to minimize the energy used as they fought in one swift motion ryana would dodge under kos swing last second and sweep his legs out from under him. Using her staff with the grace of a dancer the padding on her staff Making sure not to do any bruising if her staff hit.

Z9U36lL.png

“Don’t think too little of your weapon. There’s a reason pole arms have been used so prominently throughout history.” Ko remarked. Although to be fair pole arms like the one she was using were best suited for battlefields by large numbers of lesser skilled fighters. But that didn’t mean that it couldn’t be used well for dueling either. A reach advantage should never be discounted. Which was why Ko was forgoing the full length of his own weapon to try and put some more pressure onto Ryana.

In some ways Ko’s blindness offered some unique advantages when fighting like this. Allowing him to observe his opponent more fully. Seeing the movement of her limbs and body. She was being fluid with her movements, dancy even. It sort of reminded him of some of the advice he’d heard from others in the NJO. Part of the reason was so adamant on teaching Ko dance moves to exercise the body in more ways than just for on a stage or with a partner.

Ko watched as she dodged under his attack and countered with her own strike for his legs. If he hadn’t committed to his own attack first than he would’ve saved his leg. A dynamic and acrobatic defense to keep his leg just out of harm's way, and reflective of his preferred lightsaber combat style, ataru. Trying to avoid damage or at least transfer kinetic energy against him into his movements.

But Ryana’s hit landed, he quickly stepped back and nodded to acknowledge her strike against him. “To be honest a vibro blade to the leg would be more deadly than if a lightsaber cleaved through it. Lightsabers at least cauterize the wounds they create.” Ko remarked, something he had to learn when using his own sword that his master had crafted for him.

Ko then moved his own flexible weapon, holding it with only one hand on the end of one of it’s tethered batons to get the most reach out of it as he could. Trying to utilize its full five feet of length to attack her center of mass. Ko expected a static block from twi’lek sparring partner. Wanting to capitalize on the flexibility of his weapon to bend around her defense and still strike her body.

"Fair it is weird not using my lightsaber though" she said honestly it felt very weird as ko remarked about the polearm it did give several benefits and a vibroblade would be more lethal in a fight against almost all organic opponents. She might come up against but a pole arm was harder to carry and conceal outside of combat as she landed her blow with her polearm against ko's leg.

She whent into a defensive stance as ko decided to change up how he used his weapon as he swung his first attack ryana blocK it the middle segment but the third segment hit her in the side. She recoiled from the hit a little bit as ko was mid swing Into his second attack ryana felt a familiar sensation as pip grabbed ko's segmented staff and swung from it like a swing making ryana chuckle as she jokingly bonked ko on the head softly "pip get off your being a nuisance" she said as she tried to get pip off ko's staff.

Z9U36lL.png

Ko felt a bit glad to see some results from changing up the use of his weapon. He was seeing now that he had to be a bit more creative when using a san-ni staff than a more conventional blade or even a lightsaber. Ko had to be flexible just like the weapon.

However, he felt the sudden tug of added weight on his weapon. Sensing the additional presence of the Raycon. Raising a brow Ko lifted up his weapon and observed Pip swinging from one end of his weapon like a toy. Fortunately this was still just Ko’s own practice version of a san-ni staff. Otherwise it likely could have really hurt Pip. Feeling the bonk from Ryana, Ko chuckled some.

“I feel like a two vs one is cheating here. Or at least goes against the spirit of the sparing.” Ko remarked as he gently lowered the dangling end of the weapon down to the ground so that Pip could scamper off without issue. "Also i think I'm already getting a better idea with the capabilities and drawbacks of a weapon like this. At least when it comes to dueling." It would be impossible for him to prepare and account for every kind of situation he might find himself in with a weapon like this.

ryana was glad ko took pips intervention as a joke pip was mostly harmless as ko knew fairly well. As ko lowered the staff pip jumped off as he and buster began playing with the toys ryana brought for buster. In the corner as the two played "when is actual combat gonna be fair ko besides we both know pip is mostly harmless" she said honestly but in a joking way. Rarely did combat ever allow for fairness one could be forever changed by it ko was a living example of that most jedi carried scars or life altering scars on their body.

As she spun her staff around "i think im also getting atleast the basics of wielding a weapon similar to what my people wield for their ceremonies its reach is great but it's length an asset but also a weakness as it requires both hands if i was more martial arts inclined maybe id be better able to uze it." She said honestly as she took her stance against ko if he wanted to continue to spar.

Z9U36lL.png

“Well if it was actual combat than we probably wouldn’t be holding back at all. I’d prefer to reserve that right to my opponents and not my friends.” Ko said back. “But yeah, in actual live combat most of our battles are likely to be very asymmetrical. I doubt the only *people either of us will fight are equally skilled Force Adepts to ourselves.” The Kel Dor added.

“In ancient times polearms like that struck a good balance for the common foot soldiers. They gave enough advantages with their reach, affordability and ease of use for them to be useful in large scale battles.” He tried offering a bit of historical context. But also figured he could spare his twi’lek friend a nerdy barrage over how spears and similar weapons were used in ancient warfare.

Noticing Ryana’s stance, Ko shifted his own body too. Holding his weapon in two hands and spinning one segment of it in a circular motion like a flail. Wanting to be more reactive and letting her make the first move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom