Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre Character Creation Forum

I have thought about this for a while, and I now feel confident that I formulated this into an actually valid idea.

Just before anyone gets a wrong impression, I don't suggest to impose a factory/codex like system on Character creation, what we have right now works well and as intended.

Instead I think it would be useful to have a subforum dedicated to helping new (or old) members with the creation of their characters. I'm personally someone who reads a lot of bios when I don't feel like posting, and there is a certain trend I noticed with people that just joined. Not that they aren't capable of creating a well done character sheet, but it seems to me that many either rush it or leave it unfinished. I don't know how you all feel about this, but messy bios in general discourage me from starting or seeking a rp with these characters.

On one hand I always feel like pointing out spelling mistakes, odd formating, or inconsistencies with chaos lore, but I also know how annoying it can be to have your character thread littered with stuff you don't want there anymore at a later point (for example when splitting up the sheet in multiple posts). If chaos would instead offer a place where people can post their WIPs and then add like a tag to it that informs the rest of the community that they want feedback on it, it could be done in an orderly fashion, and then later on moved or reposted into the actual character creation forum, instead of filling that place with duplicates etc.

Obviously it wouldn't be mandatory to post there, I rather see these as a chance for experienced members to help new ones with figuring stuff out.

I know that this idea (like some character sheets) needs some tinkering to be perfect, but I believe it could be a useful aid in helping others get into chaos, or just helpful in fleshing out a character you just fail to get right.

Tell me your thoughts.

This sounds pretty great tbh, I'm definitely in the boat of 'just winging it & praying it works' but a place to get feedback would be awesome as a new kid on the block who isn't quite sure on everything.

I do see what you mean and why you suggest it, but I feel like our current character creation forum does that as well as a separate space would cater for those newcomers.

It might be unfair, but I tend to believe that someone who cares enough makes the effort to produce and finish a bio and will look into the site lore. Someone who doesn’t want to make that effort won’t bother doing so in any case. I also worry that having two separate spaces would just increase confusion and increase the erroneous assumption that you need some sort of approval to post your bio and get on with roleplay.

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Ik the ORC do this for the factory and codex where we have threads dedicated to just helping our members with the subs, so I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work for characters either. I for one think its actually a great idea, especially as someone who has a hard time fleshing out their characters sometimes.

[member="Darth Abyss"]

The Writers Workshop can easily satisfy that need, for help and feedback on writing anything, so I have to say I disagree.

However, I can sympathize with the spelling and grammatical frustrations, but not exactly on the same level. A character bio doesn't have to be super detailed or fancy. I would be just as satisfied pulling up a generic dossier on a character just for the information I want or need to know, and for the things my character can learn. Otherwise, I prefer seeing what the journey or story the person is going for and if I want to join it or if it benefits my character in anyway. Sometimes I am put off by spelling and grammatical issues, but everyone does presentation differently, and there can't be a formula to force on people.

My posts are irregular in format. Sometimes I might dazzle them, color them, make them lengthy, or I won't.
My factory submissions tend to come out like they are walking down the red carpet, but it's my style and I certainly don't expect anyone else to conform to it.

That's just my opinion. I think if we venture into this territory people might want to bring up character approval, and make formulas people have to follow.

If it's readable and gets the point across of what I'm looking for, it's good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom