Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Popular Vote? Clarification.

Tavjurn Phil

T
  • Republic Article 3: All policies regarding the Galactic Republic require popular vote.*
  • Republic Article 3 OOC: *It must be a faction-wide vote, not just contained to the Senate.
Just for clarification, the Faction has 338 listed members over 17 pages. Making a popular vote come out to about 169 + 1 members for a majority? Or did you mean a vote would be held publically over a very specific amount of time and calculated for majority based on that participation?

Just wondering. Can we the members get a clarification about how Staff saw this going? Is the member list going to get a purge based on names listed on the January Census? I'm not sure I follow your train of thought here.

Thx, :)

- JSC

Tavjurn Phil

T
Ah. I think I have a better perspective now what Staff had in mind. Well,

Now. Continuing this train of thought. Was it intended that this mandated Popular Vote determine the success or failure of a proposed Faction Policy alone? Or it is simply required as: 'paperwork'.

I ask because such a decision here stated would take away all decision-making power from the Faction Staff retaining to Policy Creation. Essentially Delegating all of the Policy-making authority to the member base. (And this may have been intentional. What do I know?) But this would lead me to also ask:

Is Faction Staff required to follow the Republic Articles to the letter and pursue a Popular Vote before making Faction Policy? Or is the Faction Staff exempt altogether and can still maintain to create, (or dissolve), the Rules at their leisure?

I understand being PR and being nice. But just how much power is the Staff willing to entrust to it's member base? I'm not sure Staff has considered this. Or, at least spoken to the point yet. Thx. :D

TL;DR: I get that you have replaced 'The Senate' with 'Everybody'. But how much power did Staff keep for itself?

The Faction Owner still retains the authority to veto. All policies placed before the Senate must require popular majority, meaning as long as you're an active Republic character, you can vote on these policies. The idea is to place less emphasis on the Senate and make Faction policy more of an OOC thing due to the amount of meta being pushed at the Senate (random unknown Senators springing out of the woodwork and doing nothing more voting on faction-changing policies).

As always, Faction Staff retains the ultimate OOC authority over these matters. That's why it's a bit open ended, because it allows Faction Staff to interpret it how they wish.

Tavjurn Phil

T
Ah. I see now. Huh. I guess I just saw that means of interpretation as a possible flaw in the Staff's logical methodology for creating or deleting faction policy. It was far to broad in it's assumptions to be definitive in my narrow-minded perspective. But now I see that Staff may has left this vague on purpose. So that they can react to each new submitted policy individually after already being presented with public opinion in the form a majority polling. Fascinating.

Alright then. In this new light, I'd like to request that Republic Article 3 be amended to include an OCC reminder of the Faction Owner's Veto authority over any submitted Faction Policy. So as to preemptively eliminate any concern over why a policy may achieve a successful majority vote, yet still be shot down by the Owner prior to it's application as formal Policy. I image the addition would look something like this,

Ex:
  • Article 3: All policies regarding the Galactic Republic require popular vote.*. **
  • Article 3 OOC: *It must be a faction-wide vote, not just contained to the Senate.
  • Article 3 OOC: **The Faction Owner reserved the right to Veto faction policy at any time.

And thanks for straightening that out. I hate loopholes. :D

It's why Faction Staff exists - to prevent supposed loopholes from being taken advantage of. Just because one sees it doesn't mean they'll be able to take advantage of it. If we went by every individual's interpretation of how and what they wanted to do, this place would be utter... chaos. Hence why we don't. Faction Staff's interpretation is the final interpretation.

With that said, I also agree it may be intelligent of Staff to add the Veto reminder in Article 3.

Tavjurn Phil

T
Tefka said:
It's why Faction Staff exists
To you maybe. But I hear lots of 'super special' opinions about what Staff is there for. *wink wink* ...So I like to put it in writing. In public. In bold letters. As a reminder. To the new, the weary, and the stray.

Tefka said:
If we went by every individual's interpretation of how and what they wanted to do, this place would be utter... chaos.
I see you've meet the old Senate. *cheers* ...Well. I'm sure the Faction Admins are well aware of what to avoid in the future. :D :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom