Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Policy of Victory [Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chief of Senate was her title, as of only a few days ago. Geneviève Lasedri had taken the office and been rushed in, the Republic desperate for some leadership that would emphatically press for the most potent sally the Republic could muster to take down the wolf clawing at her doors. This was likely the sole reason Geneviève had even been a contender (Truly, it was the only reason she had run for the office.), and she would need to utilize every Newton of momentum to grab the people's attention and shove them forward to victory.

The Senate was stagnant--even lazy--but they had better wake up for Chief Lasedri.

Taking rise on the elevated platform designated for the Chief of Senate, Geneviève looked about the stadium-like auditorium at what was considered to be the government--a multitude of people or holographic representations of people. These would be the folks she would have to deal with; wrench and smack around if she had to. But hopefully they would all be awake and ready to ignite the Republic's surge into the black of Sith space and onwards to glory.

"The Senate of the Galactic Republic is now convened," she announced, a stern and daring gaze passing over the rows of pods. "Everyone knows who I am at this point, I'll assume. So I'll waste no more time and simply delve into discussions over the solution to the situation at hand.

"I've presented a bill to determine the Republic's use of companies, pursuance of weapons production, and supply of food and materials to our soldiers on the frontlines, as this is our first and most vital step in fighting the war. This Policy of Victory need not be postponed."

Bill 70164.1 - "Policy of Victory"
  1. Companies headquartered within Galactic Republic jurisdiction (hereby known as Republic Companies) will be mandated to regularly manufacture at least one product for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  2. Raw Materials Producers are subject to Republic direction and regulation for distribution and consumption of Raw Materials.
  3. Foodstuffs Distributors are subject to Republic direction and regulation for distribution of foodstuffs.
  4. Republic Companies will be directly subsidized by the Republic Treasury.
  5. All subsidies and Raw Materials issued to Republic Companies are to be used only for the manufacturing of products for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  6. All individuals employed by Republic Companies (hereby known as Company Labor) in any mode will be restricted to salary/wages currently held at the time of the ratification of this law.
  7. The Incentive Provision: Company Labor will be issued 3% increases in salary/wages for each insurgent victory declared by the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
[member="Aurelia Saelari"], [member="Faith Balor"], [member="Elizie Adasca"], [member="Alyesa Organa"], [member="Wil Cindercurser"], [member="Persephone Callas"], [member="Jack Sparrow"], [member="Lorelei Darke"], [member="Aliannah Sophia Filia"], [member="Valen Cerezo"], [member="Carlos Castillo"], [member="T-Eya Carn"], [member="Theodosius"]

The Dreadguard were going to become quite a common sight in the senate. The senatorial guard were effective in their duties, but the Architect Council and the Army of Light as a whole had decided that the Chief of the Senate needed a more...experienced guard detail.

It was a little known fact that the Senate's now leader was working with Book to produced the next generation of Dreadguard. In exchange, Book would serve as an advisor of sorts while Master Rade and his cohorts were indisposed.

The leader of the Dreadguard forces stood to the left of Genevieve, silver armor glistening like that of a warrior god beneath the lights of the senate. To the right of her stood DG-13 Jason. There would be no assaults on the Chief so long as they remained.

"Total war. It's necessary." Book grunted to his AI. None could hear him speak. Such was the wonder of a confined comm channel and a sealed helmet.

"Ever the optimist, aren't you?" Stanley grumbled back.

Book offered no reply, and tilted his head back to get a good look at the senate. He had no power here, but hopefully people would see the sense in Genevieve's proposal.

Valen Cerezo

V
Aurelia Saelari, Faith Balor, Elizie Adasca, Alyesa Organa, Wil Cindercurser, Persephone Callas, Jack Sparrow, Lorelei Darke, Aliannah Sophia Filia, Valen Cerezo, Carlos Castillo, T-Eya Carn, Theodosius Geneviève Lasedri

He might be a new arrival to the Senate, having just arrived from Reecee himself, but he was glad to be back into the action of politics. The new Chief of the Senate was wasting no time in proposing new legislation and Valen was going to stay silent while he read through the proposal.

Sitting in a gray suit and blue tie, he took a sip of water as the bill was brought to the floor for debate. It was an interesting proposal, one that would certainly help streamline the war effort against the Sith and other factions that threatened the Republic, but he was slightly uncomfortable as he continued to read the bill.

It gave enormous powers to the government to control and regulate the flow of materials and goods, but companies might chafe under such restrictions if the incentive wasn't high enough for them. There was only so much a company would take before either its owners or stock holders demanded something different and pressured the government to change things. The efficiency was needed though, as he knew from reports he had been reading on his way to Anaxes, that the Sith had several powerful companies churning out products for their military forces.

"Chief Lasedri, might I propose a slight change to the Incentive Program?" he said, his baritone voice echoing in the chamber. "I would propose an amendment that the labor force be given a 5% increase to their wages, and the companies are given an additional subsidy of 3% if they exceed expectations in voluntary contributions to the military. Perhaps the standard would be three products or shipments on top of the mandated one for the extra subsidy?"

T-Eya made herself busy reading over the proposal. While it didn't particularly affect her, since she didn't own a company, she did see things that she was certain would concern the companies currently housed within Republic borders. Certainly some of those companies were represented here through their planets senators, but not all. The reason for the policy was pretty clear to her, and she didn't disagree with it, for the most part.

After [member="Valen Cerezo"] spoke, she stood and lifted a hand to call for attention, nodding to [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] as well.

"I second the aforementioned addendums, but I wish to voice a couple of concerns that I see here. This sets a dangerous precedent for government control of private enterprise. While I agree with the reasoning behind the proposal, I think careful wording is in order to prevent all out revolt from the companies that reside within our borders. Subsidization in general is fine when materials are needed, but I'm concerned that some will see this as buying the companies, and new legislation will be enacted to make it so.

"I propose an addendum that indicates that this proposal is in no way meant to open doors to forced government purchase of private enterprise, and that aside from the minimal stipulations within, the government will not interfere with private business. If that addendum can be made, the proposal will have the support of the Taskai people."

Persphone came on holocall -- Hapan summers were divine afterall -- and would narrow her gaze upon this proposal.

There were several Hapan Companies that were headquartered within the Hapes Consortium and she was not of the opinion of having any of them forced into government buy out.

"I concur. If this is a way to open the forced purchase of private enterprise then Hapes would not support this Bill.

It will only pave the way of companies seeking to headquarter themselves elsewhere or even adversely affect the Republic by planets with a more capitalist economic to seek ti cede from the Republic entirely."

Jack Sparrow, Senator from Kashyyyk, spoke next.

"Kashyyyk will not support any mandate forcing free enterprise to be subject to the whims of government. What do you mean by 'regularly'? What size or value does this product need to be? Who makes that decision? This would set a terrible precedent, ladies and gentlemen and neuters. It would pave the way for a government to command a free market to do their bidding. Today one piece of equipment, tomorrow two, because the government decides one isn't enough, or a ship requires more engines, or the phrik is 3/8's of an inch too thin for their liking. No, friends, we will not support this." Jack waved to the assembly with a smile and a nod, and took his seat.

Things were looking a bit mixed. Senator T-Eya had a good view on things, along with the up and coming Senator Cerezo. Some however, were rigid in their views.

"Chief." The Dreadguard commander keyed into Genevieve's private comm. There were no laws about giving advice in the middle of legislation, but it was better the senators did not suspect things. "Cerezo and Carn make good points, but the others are reserved. Make them understand we are in a state of total war. That their businesses will be swallowed up by the Sith if we don't put a stop to them."

It was rather simple in Book's opinion. Give us your resources, and you survive. Refuse, and secede if you so desire, only for the Sith to ultimately destroy everything you had worked for.

The decision was theirs. The Republic did not need holdouts.

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

[member="T-Eya Carn"]

[member="Persephone Callas"]

[member="Valen Cerezo"]

[member="Geneviève Lasedri"]

The Senator of Hapes--that one that never showed up--opened the gates for conflict, the long-absent Senator of Kashyyyk falling in line with her. Chief Lasedri was greatly annoyed by their almost trivial focuses in a time like this. She listened to [member="Book"], but she did not have to. It was quite obvious to her.

"Senators Callas and Sparrow," Geneviève began, jaw tense in mild irritation. "Your dissent is noted." For indeed it was.

"However, I would like to hear more productive revision proposals as Senators Cerezo and Carn have offered. I notice that you seem to be incredibly lax and ignorant of this war that is going on--one that has obliterated entire worlds. We've seen this happen with Alderaan and Manaan most recently. This is not time for commerce, if you hadn't noticed." She turned a defiant eye towards the two in disagreement.

"I was elected here to help win the war, and right now, this is what that requires. Now, if you would like to betray the people in spirit as you protect their business rights shortly before they are annihilated by the advancing Sith armies, I suggest you keep this up. Otherwise, I demand you give me some alternative terms here, because--as I see it--we don't have many more chances to get our fight into motion. I will not stand by so that I might avoid stepping on toes when the enemy is sure to cut them off in a few months." She took a long look around the auditorium to make sure her stance was perfectly understood by anyone who might wish to be selectively deaf.

"I will put forth a new revision with the proposed alterations in mind, but I will not let this bill be knocked down because someone thinks dying is a better choice than some business losing its market ties on Bespin. In any case, however--Senator Sparrow, your concerns will be heeded."

Bill 70164.1, Revision 2 - "Policy of Victory"
  1. Companies headquartered within Galactic Republic jurisdiction (hereby known as Republic Companies) will be mandated to regularly manufacture at least one product, within a 10% value margin of their current mean products value, for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  2. Raw Materials Producers are subject to Republic direction and regulation for distribution and consumption of Raw Materials.
  3. Foodstuffs Distributors are subject to Republic direction and regulation for distribution of foodstuffs.
  4. Republic Companies will be directly subsidized by the Republic Treasury.
  5. All subsidies and Raw Materials issued to Republic Companies are to be used only for the manufacturing of products for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  6. All individuals employed by Republic Companies (hereby known as Company Labor) in any mode will be restricted to salary/wages currently held at the time of the ratification of this law.
  7. The Incentive Provision: Company Labor will be issued 5% increases in salary/wages for each insurgent victory declared by the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic. A 3% compensation profit subsidy will be awarded to Republic Companies that exceed expectations and a 200% production increase for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  8. The Collateral Preservation Provision: Republic Companies will, under no circumstances, be subject to forced seizure of their entities unless they are found to be noncompliant with this law.
[member="Aurelia Saelari"], [member="Faith Balor"], [member="Elizie Adasca"], [member="Alyesa Organa"], [member="Wil Cindercurser"], [member="Persephone Callas"], [member="Jack Sparrow"], [member="Lorelei Darke"], [member="Aliannah Sophia Filia"], [member="Valen Cerezo"], [member="Carlos Castillo"], [member="T-Eya Carn"], [member="Theodosius"]

Jack rose once more. "Then offer companies incentives to support the effort without making it the law," he said plainly. "Appeal to their sense of loyalty and fair play and patriotism and all those other flag-waving ideologies. Sell war bonds. Make them poster children for progress. But do it without forcing them to. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they would welcome invasion. Who's to say? Kashyyyk, in case you didn't know it, is on the front lines of invasion. But if we are to survive it needs to be because we choose to stand against the invaders, not because a supposedly free Republic demands our goods and proclaims if we don't ante up we're unworthy of survival."

"This law isn't asking for much, Senator Sparrow. Per the addendum I asked be added the government is not taking over companies but mandating that they do what they should be doing in the first place."

She reaches for a glass of water and took a sip before returning to her business.

"The One Sith aren't in the business of caring about our businesses. They are in the business of galactic domination, and when they take over, money only flows to those they like. Business are likely to become forced to run for no pay. Is it not in the best interest of a business to preserve their client base and provide for its well being? There is no money to be made without clients after all.

"An honest business should work for the survival of all of the Republic and this bill is simply mandating that they do what they should, by logic and moral clarity, be already doing.

"Besides, welcoming invasion smells a lot like treason to me."

[member="Geneviève Lasedri"] [member="Jack Sparrow"]

Lasedri's brown eyes narrowed to needles at the senator of Kashyyyk. "My duty is to the Republic, Senator Sparrow. And you know as well as I do that a company is run on profit and rarely on morals. That isn't going to provide for this Republic--not if they're willing to betray the people for 'greener pastures'.

"And if they welcome invasion," she added, quoting Senator Sparrow's words, "As Senator Carn has said: That might as well be considered treason. And it will be."

[member="Jack Sparrow"], [member="T-Eya Carn"]

"The government should not be in the business of mandating what a company should or shouldn't do," said Jack with a wave of his hand. "Provided said company is not breaking any laws, no one should be conscripted into service. This is a republic, not a feudal society or a theocracy." Jack smiled once more. "I yield the floor. Do continue, but be assured Kashyyyk will be voting 'no' on this proposal. It smacks too much of...overreach."

[member="Geneviève Lasedri"] [member="T-Eya Carn"]

"I do agree with Senator Sparrow of Kashyyyk..." Alyesa spoke from her own pod, slowly standing to address the Senate as a whole, respectively. "However, I also understand the need for contribution in this dark time for the Republic." She nodded softly. "Could there not be a better way to represent this bill without mandating something that could be perceived as penalty or even...." She held her breath for a moment, knowing the next bid could draw some ire. "Imperialistic in nature."

[member="Jack Sparrow"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="T-Eya Carn"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Book"]

Senator Turov was new to his post, but not to the Galaxy. He had seen the Republic rise, but had only recently sought out one of the highest offices of his government after receiving backing from friends of his. Given his junior rank among the senators he did not speak up immediately, but rather waited and listened. Some of his fellow senators sparked annoyance in the elder man, their self serving nature apparent enough.

After Senator Organa spoke up, Adrik made his move to speak. "Senator Sparrow has claimed that it is not the government's business to mandate what companies should and should not do. That is a complete fallacy, every single law the Republic has passed protecting fair trade, or worker rights, or consumer rights, or corporate tax codes, or any of a dozen other topics already does exactly what Senator Sparrow says is not our business.

"In fact it is not only the business, but the very purpose of the Senate to dictate such mandates. We are the elected officials of our represented planets, and we must do what is in their best interests. We are not beholden to corporate CEOs and their money... or at least legally we should not be though perhaps in light of recent comments perhaps this is not true for everyone.

"This bill serves one purpose: to strengthen the Republic against a foe that has already driven right into our heart. I spent much of my life on Coruscant, yet now it lies in Sith hands. I would see this march stopped once and for all, and this bill goes a long way toward this goal. Senator Organa, I understand where you are coming from however I do not believe we can call this bill imperialistic in any manner. The unrelenting conquering of planets that the Republic so recently divulged in, that would be Imperialistic. I wonder if perhaps the fact that you are a CEO yourself may be coloring your judgment rather than what is really best for the people of the Republic? As Princess of Alderaan, a planet now held by the sith as well, should you not welcome any measure which may free your people?

"As for the matter of Senator Sparrow's and Senator Callas's possible collusion with the enemy given their obvious reluctance to defend the Republic, I think that matter should be set aside... for the moment."

[member="Jack Sparrow"] [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] [member="T-Eya Carn"] [member="Persephone Callas"] [member="Book"] [member="Alyesa Organa"]

Faith was reading through the proposal she looked up to listen to those who had already read through it making their suggestions. She had been reading the portion that talked about mandating the items from each of the companies within the Republic.

"Many of these companies are individually owned, set forth from ideas from their families. The Republic should not mandate to them what they must or must not do. Raw Material producers come under the direction of the Republic, the Republic will decide what companies get what materials? This has the potential to create issues of supply and demand driving costs up for the very companies the Republic wants to mandate items from."

Faith looked around the room, "The direction of food stuff as well? The Republic chooses who eats and who does not?"

Faith finally stood up, "Is the Republic looking to have control over every company? their success or their demise? "

Faith waited for the answer

[member="Adrik Turov"] [member="Alyesa Organa"] [member="Jack Sparrow"] [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] [member="T-Eya Carn"]

Jack rolled his eyes. "Our disapproval to allow a self-proclaimed 'free' Republic to demand a tithe is now, in your opinion, Senator Turov, a matter of collusion? What's next? Sedition? Censure?" He shook his head. "What planet do you represent, Mr. Turov? I checked the official roster and didn't see your name listed, though I'm certain it's just a clerical oversight. I'm sure you must be very wise though, given your advanced years."

He nodded in the direction of [member="Faith Balor"]. "It hardly bears mentioning at this point that Kashyyyk stands with Alderaan, but i'm certain someone will be by shortly with stun cuffs to hold me for trial for high treason."

[member="Adrik Turov"]

Valen Cerezo

V
Adrik Turov Alyesa Organa Jack Sparrow Geneviève Lasedri T-Eya Carn

And this was why Valen both enjoyed and detested politics sometimes, the endless bickering that could occur. It was telling about one's colleagues and their characters about what they could possibly be after or their stances on certain issues.

Still . . . he needed to respond perhaps, because he could understand the opposition's concerns.

"Honorable delegates, I agree with you that this notion . . . is balancing on the knife's edge of something we that love freedom do not like," he started. "However, we cannot ignore the increasing movements of the Sith against our frontiers, nor can we ignore other threats that exist once they make themselves known to be hungry for war. In that vain, I would propose another amendment to the bill on the floor."

This could possibly be interesting.

"To ensure that companies and their private goods and services are not unlawfully seized by the Republic for violation of the law or if they fall behind in their production, the Republic would simply levy a fine to the company. This fine could take the form of either credits, tech, or materials equal to but not exceeding 1% of the total income of the company. This way, the Republic can still get what it needs, but there are safeguards against any unlawful seizing of property. Also I would propose that Republic oversight and advice of the movement of food stuffs and materials is done, but officials do not have final say in where such things are bound."

Geneviève was a bit annoyed but maintained her composure, being Chief of Senate and all. "To imply that all resources would be taken from the people is absurd, considering the fact that we have no army; no production; no Republic without the people within our borders. It should not even be a topic in this discussion. Or would you rather a contractor make these decisions?

"However, I will concede to Senator Cerezo's points. He seems to be the one actually seeking remedies rather than spitting on the notion that perhaps the Republic should survive." Her tone was smothered in derision. No wonder this Republic never went anywhere these days.

"Must I remind you that you could draft your own solutions? Even still, I will present you with a revised bill."

Bill 70164.1, Revision 3 - "Policy of Victory"
  • Companies headquartered within Galactic Republic jurisdiction (hereby known as Republic Companies) will be mandated to regularly manufacture at least one product, within a 10% value margin of their current mean products value, for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  • Raw Materials Producers are subject to Republic direction and regulation for distribution and consumption of Raw Materials.
  • Foodstuffs Distributors are subject to Republic direction and regulation for distribution of foodstuffs.
  • Republic Companies will be directly subsidized by the Republic Treasury.
  • All subsidies and Raw Materials issued to Republic Companies are to be used only for the manufacturing of products for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  • All individuals employed by Republic Companies (hereby known as Company Labor) in any mode will be restricted to salary/wages currently held at the time of the ratification of this law.
  • The Incentive Provision: Company Labor will be issued 5% increases in salary/wages for each insurgent victory declared by the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic. A 3% compensation profit subsidy will be awarded to Republic Companies that exceed expectations and a 200% production increase for the Defense Forces of the Galactic Republic.
  • The Collateral Preservation Provision: Republic Companies will, under no circumstances, be subject to forced seizure of their entities unless they are found to be noncompliant with this law.
  • The Private Rights Provision: The Galactic Republic may, at no time, seize control of any Republic Company found not to be in compliance with this law. Republic Companies found to be noncompliant with this law will be fined a 1% tax of total income prior to retained income adjustments.
[member="Faith Balor"], [member="Alyesa Organa"], [member="Persephone Callas"], [member="Jack Sparrow"], [member="Valen Cerezo"], [member="T-Eya Carn"], [member="Adrik Turov"]

"Simply put, I cannot support this law as it is not within the true foundations of the Republic beliefs." She gestured. "As also the CEO of the company which provides the Republic with over 45% of it's starfighter corp, I find the comments of certain members within this delegation out of hand." She would refrain from direct mentioning of certain members of the Senate - but they knew who they were.

"That being said - I will not and cannot support this bill - as it forces in all forms presented. This is for the Trade Council to discuss, not for a measure of the Senate."

OOC - Simple answer, No.

Faith looked over the revisions she just could not in good conscience do this. She understood that that Republic needed support but these mandates gave too much control to the Republic on what companies would survive and which would not. Raw materials for manufacturing companies that were controlled by the government did not sound like freedom, this sounded like the government trying to control what was manufactured and what was not.

The government should not be in a role of directing what companies got the raw materials they needed, and who did not. That was not freedom or even capitalism, that was socialism, government control. Then add in that they want to direct food stuffs too, how would that be decided? All republic companies to be subsidized by the Treasury. If they had so many credits they could subsidize then why could they not enter into contracts with the companies and buy what they needed like all other customers?

Anything received from the Republic, could only be sold to the Republic. The Republic government, or anyone within Republic space?

Faith shook her head no not in this form either would she say yes.

There are too many provisions within this bill that provide the Republic ways to control independent companies. The Republic should negotiate contracts with companies rather than try to control them. Alderaan, will not support this bill either.

[member="Alyesa Organa"] [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] [member="Valen Cerezo"] [member="Jack Sparrow"] [member="Adrik Turov"] [member="T-Eya Carn"] [member="Persephone Callas"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom