Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phond Sword

[member="Michael Shado"], Phond is just a crystal. It is as breakable as any other crystal. Do you really want to make a sword out of a rock that can break if you slam it on the ground?

The linked item will be more suitable for a sword. And, you can infuse the crystal with the force to have more devastating effects.

[member="Michael Shado"], Get a Lightsaber.

No metal could ever be as light as a lightsaber blade as they are "Weightless" or very close to having no weight.

If you want a melee weapon that is very light, Songsteel, or Phrik are best choices.

OR you can have someone alter the sword via Alchemy, Force Imbuement, or Alkheast to be much, much lighter.

Alchemy makes things heavier. Very few Master Alchemists can make the weightless effect. Less than a handful board wise.

And you dont want a weightless or super light blade unless it cuts like a lightsaber. Trust me. Lighter does not unequivocally mean better.

Most swords are actually pretty light. An arming sword, which is what most people with a video game background are thinking of when they hear "longsword," is about 1kg / 2.5 lbs. A much heavier, two-handed claymore tops off at about 3kg / 6 lbs. It's not like you're wandering around with a 50-pound hunk of unshaped metal like Cloud Strife or Guts. That's just fantasy nonsense.

Even then, weight isn't as much of a drawback as you might think. Objects need mass in order to maintain momentum. A sword has an edge to cut through flesh, sure, but on its own even a sharp edge can't do much more than a papercut. It needs momentum to perform, and that's achieved through a combination of mass and muscle power. So don't worry about your sword's weight that much. Just try to remember that if it weighs more than 5 pounds, it'll be pretty obnoxious to wield in one hand.

Oh, and regarding phond. That is literally a lightsaber crystal. As in a crystal used to power a lightsaber. The energy is focused through the crystal, which creates the laser blade. You don't use it for construction. That would be insane. XD

[member="Niysha"] - If tge comments were directed to me, on blade weight, im aware. Trained with, and studied the making of, swords for over a decade and change now.

What is infinitely more important than weight is center of percussion, harmonic and vibrational nodes and pivot point(s). Edge geometry and bevel do a lot too. As does the rockwell/hardness and steel type. A sword is more like a finely tuned F1 car than a yugo, really. But for purposes of a forum like this, that is a bit above paygrade.

Matreya

Michael Shado said:
[member="Atheus"]

Any idea on how one might create a weighted beam similar to that of lighsaber?
Make a rod on a hilt. Along said rod, provide the parts usually inside the saber, only on the outside now. It has been done and approved. For example, a War hammer was made with a lightsaber head basically.

Damien Daemon said:
Make a rod on a hilt. Along said rod, provide the parts usually inside the saber, only on the outside now. It has been done and approved. For example, a War hammer was made with a lightsaber head basically.
Canon has several things that work like this, more or less. Ona Nobis' whip, a couple kinds of obscure energy-clad swords, etc. There's some leeway.

The lighter a blade is, generally, the less resistance it has to force or impact. If you're going for a lighter blade, it's to cut quickly and not bear any load. It's not good for a tangible swordfight, but it would function well for a fight with a saber fighter. Take the example of the Katana versus the Western Longsword. A Katana is traditionally a weapon intended to kill with one stroke, whereas the Longsword is geared toward longer, tougher fights. There's more blocking and parrying versus a fight between Samurai, which was generally either went to the first blow (thus the inception of Iaido) or favored the more skillful swordsman.

In a fight between knights, skill is a massive factor still, but armor is more important because they don't have that same emphasis on keenness of blade. It won't generally slice deep into armor and award a killing blow in one go. Halfswording, in fact, was born of the ineffective nature of a longsword in a battle involving armor. This allowed a swordsman to grip the blade of his weapon, sacrificing range in order to command greater bashing power or direct his strikes toward weak points in the plate.

In the end, it comes down to your preference. Some research required, of course.

Michael Shado

Alor of Clan Shado
In reality....I'm not you guys read the OP, but:

Michael Shado said:
a weighted beam similar to that of lighsaber?

Im not looking for light weight..and though I appreciate the idea of a beskad, I already had in mind something a little different from what typical Mandos used.

But, the more I thought about the less I liked the idea when I saw the Sith Tremor Sword and started to fall in love with it.

I think I'll can this idea, but the concept of a solid beam constantly on with weight is more than welcome to be up for discussion.

You guys have given me awesome answers though as far as sword play goes!

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom