Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private People Are Always Getting Married in Chaldea

tLj7e52.png

A city square in Nezamiyeh, Chaldea

While still recovering from the injuries he had sustained on Epoch, Ishani’s mentor Arlo Renard had refused to remain bedridden. “It’s bad for the constitution, just lying about all day long,” he had insisted. “You’ve got to keep moving if you want to heal right.”

This early in the process, the most the old Mystic could manage was a walk around town. Ishani, who was visiting him in the hospital, agreed to accompany him. It was better than a nurse or medical droid following him around, and despite his typically cantankerous manner, Ishani sensed he appreciated her company.

With him dressed in loose clothing and her in her Mystic’s gown and veil, the two made their way through the city, walking down dusty roads. After years of dealing with fast-growing plantlife cracking the pavement, the Chaldeans had done away with paved streets in favor of smoothed dirt and cobblestone. Speaking of overgrown plants, Ishani swept aside the drooping branches of a willow tree that had spread overnight from the front yard where it was planted into the street, more or less blocking the way.

As she parted the soft green curtain, she saw a crowd gathered outside a church up ahead. Autumn leaves fell from the trees growing high above the square, littering the ground with gold. The crowd parted, and a well-dressed couple slipped through the gap, hand in hand. Holo-cameras flashed and the onlookers cheered as the newlyweds paused to share a kiss.

Beside her, Arlo snorted. “You know, they used to say that people were always getting married in Chaldea.”

Ishani crossed her arms, her expression strained. Watching the couple climb into a waiting speeder, her chest felt tight with an unknown emotion. “I know,” she murmured. “I’ve been to more weddings than I can count.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

This world was beyond anything she'd seen thus far in her life. Her life was living in a slum, where the only life was the occasional house plant. She'd seen forests of course, seen nature for all it's beauty. But never like this. Never a city with this much life. So one with life. People, plants, coexisting in such a wonderful way. The colors that floated around and between them all was something truly beautiful.

A beauty no one else could see. Thus, Iris's mission became clear. She stopped for no one, solely focused on the task at hand. Numerous empty spray cans stayed on the ground near the wall she had painted. She herself was currently upside down, finishing her art with a bright, happy smile. Paint coated most of her skin. This was one of the largest she'd ever painted, but it was worth it.

She hopped down from her awkward looking perch, turning her gaze up. A mural to the beauty of this city and it's people. "There." Iris smile softly, taking a step back to better take a look at it. "That should do it.."

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Last edited:
After watching the celebration of the strangers’ union for a little while longer, Ishani and Arlo resumed their walk. They made steady, if slow, progress across the square, until Arlo came to a sudden halt.

What is it?” Ishani asked, concerned. If even this much activity had caused one of his wounds to reopen—

But Arlo’s attention was fixed on a nearby alleyway. Before Ishani could say anything else, the old Mystic had charged in like a raging bull, his tanned face scrunched up.

“What the hell is this?”

She followed him into the alley and immediately saw what had attracted his ire. An entire wall of the building had been spray-painted with the full spectrum of colors. The pungent odor of wet paint indicated it was still fresh—and as she looked around, Ishani saw a dark-haired girl splattered in a rainbow.

“Did you do this?” Arlo demanded of the girl—though it was pretty obvious by her appearance that she was the culprit. “This isn’t your property. You can’t just go around painting random buildings!”

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

".. Huh?"

It was happening again. But.. This place wasn't Sump. Why..? Iris blinked as she stumbled back from the angry figure, eyes wide with fear. Well, he hadn't hit her. Was she overreacting? Regardless, she nearly tumbled into the still fresh paint. She stopped regardless to protect her fresh art and forced a smile. Right. Diffuse the situation. There was no reason to fight. "I just, it's so pretty here. I wanted to show people how it looked. I didn't- No. I'm sorry. I shouldn't of painted here."

Right. It was bad to just paint random buildings. But, what should she do? Her gaze drifted up towards the mural behind her.

"But.. I don't want to get rid of this.."

The girl was obviously frightened, shrinking away from Arlo and stumbling over her words.

"But.. I don't want to get rid of this.."

“Then take a picture, it’ll last longer,” Arlo replied with a grunt and a smirk.

What happens to it will be up to the owners of the building,” Ishani said, stepping forward. While her words were ambiguous, her tone attempted to reassure the girl. “It’s their wall, after all.

“They’ll also decide whether you’ll be accused of vandalism,” Arlo added, pointing a gnarled finger at the girl.

I don’t see why they would. It’s not as if she sprayed profanity, or did this out of malice.

“Graffiti is crap no matter how you spin it,” Arlo argued. “It’s the trashiest ‘art form’ there is. It makes any street corner look like a damned ghetto. I mean, look at this garbage—what is this even supposed to be?” He gestured to the mural.

Ishani sighed. “It looks like a tree to me.

“Oh yeah? Well, to me, it looks like a particularly colorful dump I once took after eating Atrisian food.”

In spite of Arlo's caustic sarcasm, both of them looked to the girl for an explanation of what the mural was supposed to depict.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

What was it?

Iris hummed softly. Immediately that source of fear faded, replaced by a genuine curiosity. Her eyes drifted back towards the mural. "I'm not sure what it is exactly. The colors of this world are.. Beautiful. Living with nature like this, it's unique. Special." The young girl nodded her head once before looking back to Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn and Arlo, a much brighter smile forming.

"What do you feel when you look at it? That's what I think matters."

“What do I feel?” Arlo scoffed. “Annoyed. Incensed. Irritated.”

The old Mystic went inside the building to find someone to talk to about the graffiti. Ishani looked at the mural for a little while longer, then shook her head.

I don’t really feel anything, sorry. I prefer things that tell a story. This isn’t an ugly painting, but it’s like something you would use to brighten a room without being too distracting.

Or brighten an alleyway, in this case. A few minutes went by, and Arlo returned with a middle-aged woman in tow. She wore a blue robe and very thick glasses, through which she peered at the painted wall. “Is this what all the fuss is about?” she asked, her brow furrowing.

She looked at the mural again, then waved her hand. “Oh, I don’t care, as long as it isn’t breaking any laws.”

“She broke the law by painting on your property without permission,” Arlo pointed out.

“Well, permission granted. It’s pretty enough that I don't mind. Although, the neighbor’s tree will block the view from the street most of the day, I’ll bet…”

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

The grumpy one wasn't much of a surprise on how he felt. But.. Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn felt nothing? Iris's gaze turned her gaze back to the wall. The coming conversation, even the new person who arrived, she didn't really pay attention to. It was the first time she'd ever heard a lack of response to her art. There was always something, even minor, that her art made people feel. Or did they just say it did?

Now she was full of doubt. Her gaze shifted to the new woman, finally realizing she was there. Only for the woman to say there wasn't going to be many to see it. Crestfallen, Iris just nodded and went to gather up the empty spray cans so she at least wasn't littering. "Ah well.."

Seeing how crestfallen the girl looked, Ishani felt bad. But what was she supposed to do, lie to make her feel better?

The bespectacled woman scurried back inside her house, clearly not wanting to be bothered. Arlo heaved a sigh, fiddling with the bandages underneath his loose tunic. The young artist picked up her spray cans. The autumn leaves continued to drift down.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris continued to pick up all the various cans, there was a lot, and eventually turned to leave. But paused after a moment, glancing back towards the two. She was quiet for a moment, staring between Arlo and Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn . ".. Um, how do I get back to the space port from here..?"

Uh, you head that way, take a left on the main road, then just keep going straight,” Ishani replied, gesturing around a corner. “Long ass way to walk, though. You’re better off getting a cab.

Sky Harbor, the planet’s only major starport, was located just outside the city. But since this was the planetary capital, the city in question was huge and would take hours to traverse on foot.

“So, you’ve just been wandering around the city with no money?” Arlo shook his head. “How did you even get here in the first place, offworlder?”

Ishani pursed her lips. She had also noticed that the girl wasn’t Chaldean fairly quickly, but hadn’t drawn attention to it.

You aren’t, uh, in a bad way, are you?” Ishani asked her. The girl was clearly very young, and if she was alone and broke on a planet she was unfamiliar with, well, that wasn't good.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"My master and I are visiting. She's probably at the space port." Oh. Right. Valery Noble Valery Noble was probably gonna be annoyed that she ran off now that Iris thought about it. She laughed, nervously scratching at her cheek as she glanced back the way she'd come from. Well, maybe came from. She didn't recognize where she was, though that wasn't anything new. "Bad way? .. Not that I know of. There was a lot of pastries being sold.. Somewhere. I bought a bunch." Oh, right! She paused everything she was doing to dig around the other pack she had before pulling out a couple neatly wrapped cinnamon rolls.

"Would you like some?"

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Your master?” Ishani and Arlo said in unison, then exchanged glances. He was the first to scowl, folding his arms across his chest in silence.

They both knew what this meant. An offworlder with a master, given the current state of things on Chaldea, was almost certainly a student of the Jedi. Ishani could practically hear Arlo’s thoughts. I knew it! I knew the Jedi would start crawling all over this place as soon as we joined the Alliance!...

Just visiting?” Ishani asked, trying not to sound too hopeful.

She accepted one of the cinnamon rolls the girl offered, split it in half, and offered one of the pieces to Arlo. His expression softened ever so slightly as he took it and ate.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"Mmhmm! Master Noble. She saved me after I.." She blinked, turning her gaze to the mural beside them. "Oh yeah. The last time I did this I was put in a slave collar." A statement of fact, and a memory Iris didn't want to linger on. Instead she smiled and nodded. "Yeah! Valer- Master Noble said I should see the sights and experience what this world has to offer. She was pretty interested in the colors I saw, too. You both have those colors. It's like.. Light. But also nature?"

She shrugged and smiled wider anyway. She wasn't sure how to word it. To her knowledge, the colors she could see were on a spectrum no one else could. How could she explain a color they likely could never see themselves?

"It's really pretty. I was hoping what I painted might be able to capture how you both and this city looks to me. I guess I gotta practice more!" All at once the sad atmosphere that had been clinging to her was gone, replaced by a far more joyful outlook on what Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn had said. And Arlo, for that matter.

"Anyway, if it's that long of a walk I should probably get going. Thanks for telling me what you thought of my art!"

bWMGgIz.png
Valery: Appearance
Outfit: Factory Link
Lightsabers: Link!
Ship: Factory link
"Look away for one minute.."
Valery grumbled to herself as she followed Iris' presence in the Force. It was remarkable how such a young girl was able to get so far in such a short amount of time. She was with Valery when they just arrived at the spaceport, but suddenly she vanished while Valery was handling their registration.
If it wasn't for the fact that Iris had a distinct presence she could pick up on, there was no way she'd ever find her without help. So despite the situation, she didn't completely look like a parent who had just lost their child. She was still calm, albeit a little worried and frustrated.
"There you are," Valery said after she came around the corner, and into the street that Iris was in. She was with others, and one of them looked and felt fairly frustrated. "You had me worried, sick. When you asked if you could take a look around, this was not what I was expecting," she said, but with a calm tone - she wasn't scolding her Padawan in public. She just wanted Iris to look at the situation from her perspective.
Her eyes then shifted to Ishani and Arlo, who she greeted with a kind and apologetic smile, "Apologies for any inconvenience. I'll be taking her back to the spaceport." She was, at this point, still very much unaware of the large mural that was painted by her colorful Padawan.
F7r9prE.png

"Oh yeah. The last time I did this I was put in a slave collar."

Ishani blinked incredulously. Putting aside the absurdity of being put in a slave collar as punishment for vandalizing a wall, why did this girl think doing it again somewhere else was a good idea?

"Yeah! Valer- Master Noble said I should see the sights and experience what this world has to offer. She was pretty interested in the colors I saw, too. You both have those colors. It's like.. Light. But also nature?"

"What you're seeing is probably just the local Force Nexus," Ishani explained. "It makes all the plants grow super fast, among other things."

The girl went on and on about how pretty the city was, and how she had tried to capture it in her painting. Then a woman, presumably the aforementioned Master Noble, showed up and apologized for her.

"Oh, it's not a problem. We, uh, took care of the situation." Ishani gestured vaguely to the mural Iris had spray painted. "The owner of the building didn't care."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"A.. Nexus?" Iris tilted her head curiously. She knew the term, but from where? Reading? Probably. Force Nexus. Her eyes closed as she thought hard on just what it meant. Only for them to open and blink rapidly as she turned her head towards where Valery Noble Valery Noble was going to be walking around the corner from. She sensed her master long before she saw her. And laughed, nervously.

"A.. Ah.." She was expecting a lecture. This was far from the first time. Yet the tone the Master spoke in had Iris lower her gaze and nod. "Ah.. I'm sorry. This place is just.. Pretty. I wanted people to see it." Her gaze stayed lower for a moment, then turned to Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn . "Oh, right! These are..! .. What are your names?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom