Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pathway to the Unnatural

It had been a very long time since Darth Pyrrhus had set foot on Bastion. He had seen it transform from its early days under the Sith Ascendancy, and blossom after the re-brand and rise of the Sith Empire. But Pyrrhus had been absent from the politics of the known galaxy for a long while. The Sith Empire was no longer just a new player on the block. Just like the Empire had grown, so had the capital.

But this was far from a sightseeing trip. The state of which the capital found itself in was of little interest to him. The state of the Sith Academy there, however, interested him greatly. He wanted a picture painted of its structure and the level of its acolytes and teachers. In short, he wanted an understanding of what the Sith Order’s current academies needed, and where their strengths lay.

Pyrrhus’ visit had been easy enough to arrange. The Overseer seemed ecstatic to receive a visit from the newly named Triumvir of Knowledge. His heightened sense of self-importance almost seemed to suggest this was to be expected. Pyrrhus read this as a good sign, however, and preferred it to fear. Fear suggested a concern that incompetence would be unveiled.

What he was shown on his tour did not disappoint. They were not lacking in funding or raw recruits. There were many a family who thought having a Sith in the family would see them rise in prominence, and submitted their children to the academy. Fortunately this was not all, and there were plenty who had been picked up by their agents across the galaxy. Naturally they had a system in place for this. But there was always room for improvement. Pyrrhus wasn’t particularly interested in improving things here on Bastion, however. He had his designs set on something closer to home.

The only thing that was getting on the Togruta Lord’s nerves, was the Overseer’s insistence on showing off his acolytes, trying to push them on him in the hopes that one of them might be taken on as the apprentice of the Triumvir. More prestige to the academy, and not to mention the Overseer himself. Finally, towards the very end of his visit, Pyrrhus had allowed himself to be persuaded. The two of them walked in on a training session of some of the academy’s older students.

[member="Curtis Learchin"]

Curtis had been training at the Bastion Academy for 5 months now, and still he felt homesick. He no longer had a home to go back to though, so the training room would have to do. It wasn't a fancy room, a few mats covered the floor and training dummies were set up along the far wall. It was just him and 7 other students, the oldest acolytes who were either untrained or too unskilled to be chosen by a master, Curtis was one of the former. In many ways, he was more experienced than his fellow trainees, but not in the areas that mattered to the Sith.

When [member="Darth Pyrrhus"] and the Overseer walked in, Curtis was busy viciously striking one of the dummies with his swordstaff. He imagined that the dummy was the Sith Lord who'd slaughtered his village, and that made him hit harder and faster, giving a short grunt as each strike connected.

Well, he thought to himself while the Overseer went on and on about how well former students of his were doing now. I am without an apprentice. Perhaps... The timing was odd, given his condition. But suppose now was as good a time as any. He wasn't coming back here anytime soon he imagined. Why not entertain the thought?

Pyrrhus stopped next to the Overseer, dressed in a more ornate combination of black and red. Pyrrhus maintained his traditional black garb. He was taller than the Overseer, something made even more obvious by the length of his curved montrals, framing his reddish pink head with an almost horned crown. The faint red was mixed in with white markings typical for Togruta. Most of his lower facial features were hidden behind a dark mask, serving as a rebreather that made his voice sound almost mechanic, and his breathing seem more strenuous than it was.

The Sith Lord's eyes travelled across the room, moving through them all one by one. He stopped, however, observing the one giving his dummy hell with his swordstaff. Before Pyrrhus could ask about him, however, the Overseer chimed in. "Mmyes, a fine bunch aren't they? True, some of them seem a bit stripped of potential, but they will have their uses too you know. But yes, I won't bother you with details on them, no I won't even give their introduction. In fact-" "Yes, Overseer?" His raspy voice cut through the man's chatter. Even through the distortion of his mask there could be little doubt that the Togruta's patience was waning. The Overseer took the hint, and decided to get to the point sooner rather than later.

"...In fact, there is truly one you need concern yourself with. Ah, who but Sezhedo" One didn't need the Force to detect the pride the Overseer felt over this specimen. He gestured towards a red-skinned Twi'lek, of a powerful and athletic frame. Using two vibroswords, the Acolyte was going through some well-rehearsed sequences. "Aggressive" Pyrrhus said, not even noticing he did so aloud. The Twi'lek was fighting a mock opponent, his blades carving only through air. Yet there was a distinct speed and power to them. It was an all-out barrage of offensive attacks. True, it was hard to practice defense without anything to defend against, but Pyrrhus could tell by the natural movements and body language that this was also the Acolyte's fighting mentality and preferred style. He also knew that all of this didn't come from the group lessons. Sezhedo had found a way to win the favour of his teachers, and gain private lessons from one of the masters here. Pyrrhus was sure of it.

"Oh yes, Sezhedo can be quite devastating. The last Acolyte to challenge him at the end of a training day - you see, we encourage other students to issue challenges after a day's - ah, yes, of course" the Overseer caught Pyrrhus' eyes. He did not need words this time to warn the Overseer he was drifting off topic again. "Well in short, he is undefeated here at our academy, and his opponents do not tend to get up after. Broken bones and the like. Straight to the med-bay. You know how it is." Indeed, Pyrrhus knew the type. At every academy, whether it was made official or not, there was one standing at the top of the social hierarchy, undisputed.

"Promising" Pyrrhus agreed. But he would certainly have to teach the boy the punishment for blind arrogance as well as the danger of complacency. "Indeed. Ah, yes, but you will want a demonstration of course" the Overseer said, taking a step forwards, clapping once loudly with his hands. "We are joined today, as you can see, by a special guest. We have a Sith Lord in our midst" the Overseer paused for effect, an effect, Pyrrhus thought, that mostly took place within the man's own mind.

"He has come to inspect our grand academy, as well as the progress we have made here. And" he paused again, which made Pyrrhus groan internally. "If you are lucky, one of you will leave us today as his apprentice." For once the Overseer kept it brief, and did not go on about how massive of an opportunity this was. They would understand, and if they didn't, well, they were unlikely to be the sort that would function well as his apprentice.

"Now, he knows a little about you, but it is up to you to prove you are ready." the Overseer looked around the room, making sure his meaning was caught by the Acolytes. "So, true to tradition, as your day of training is now over, I will open the floor to you. Issue your challenges, or remain silent." The Twi'lek smiled, a wide, cocky grin. It was not just about feeling confidence, but also a signal to prey on the minds of the others in the room. He could name any one of the other six, apart from the obvious bottom feeders. However, for them, there was really only one name that would do it, and he knew it.
[member="Curtis Learchin"]​

Curtis stepped forward from the group, feeling the eyes of the other acolytes pierce into his back. He would be trapped here no longer than necessary, and today could be the day his training could truly begin. His vision glided from acolyte to acolyte, before finally finding its target. Sezhedo was the unofficial alpha of the group, and had fought all the acolytes apart from Curtis. Maybe he saw him as too fresh to bother with, but no longer.

"Overseer, with your permission, I'd like to duel Sezhedo." The already palpable silence seemed to envelop the whole room as the words left his mouth, but he stood his ground, holding his swordstaff in a vice-like grip and focusing his anger on the Twi-lek. Whether they fought here today or tomorrow, Curtis would prove that he was the strongest.

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

Faint surprise showed across the features of Sezhedo. Firstly, he hadn’t expected anyone would dare call him out at all, instead covering while they awaited to see who he made his victim. Secondly, if he was to be called out, he had not thought it would be coming from Curtis.

The Overseer glanced calmly over at the Twi’lek, and asked in a monotone tone. “Sezhedo, your name has been spoken. How do you respond?” “I accept the challenge.” the Twi’lek’s voice was surprisingly deep.

Pyrrhus watched carefully as the other acolytes stepped back, giving room for the two duelist who now were given center stage. Pyrrhus had hoped it would be Curtis to issue the challenge. For all the praise laid upon Sezhedo, it was Curtis that had drawn the Togruta’s attention first.

“Begin”

With the challenge issued, Curtis and Sezhedo began to circle each other. The Twi-lek fought like none of the other acolytes, using a quick and raw style that left him open to counters. Their eyes locked and hands tightened around their weapons, knowing that this moment could mean their ascension into greatness. With that in mind, Curtis launched forward, striking at the Twi-lek's right arm with great force. Sezhedo acted just as quickly, delivering a block that pushed Curtis off balance. The Twi-lek then let out a primal yell as he struck towards his opponents head, only to be met with the end of Curtis' staff. A swift counter came, as the staff whirled past Sezhedo's defences, hitting him in the back. It was as if the two had entered a dance, moving in and out of reach quickly, only getting close to deliver a strike of their own.

"Prideful." Muttered Curtis, as he swung his staff into the back of Sezhedo's knees, watching as he hit the floor, one of his vibroblade's clattering alongside him.

"Arrogant." Curtis said, as he hit the Twi-lek across the face with the end of his staff, giving him a bloodied lip with began creating a puddle of crimson liquid.

"Weak!" Curtis yelled, as he pressed his foot down on Sezhedo's throat. He then looked to the Overseer, as if asking whether he could execute the acolyte. Blood dripped down his face, creating a smudged line across the bridge of his nose.

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

Darth Pyrrhus watched with great interest as the fight unfolded. Frequently it came down to a quick blur of actions, well-rehearsed moves put up against well-rehearsed responses, each firing off on instinct, guided through the Force. And yet there was so much space for improvement, to increase the variety of moves available to them both, and make it all more crisp.

In the end, it was Curtis who was left standing, the Twi'lek down on the ground. Defeated, and awaiting judgement. Sezhedo certainly hadn't seen that coming, but Pyrrhus imagined that Curtis must've visualised this countless times before putting it into reality. If not for the mask covering nearly half his face, his smile would've been visible.

The Overseer opened his mouth to respond, but Pyrrhus cut him off before he could begin, and brushed past him. "That won't be necessary. Leave him." the hollow tone communicated through the mask broke the silence that had remained since the last clash of blades.

Both the Overseer and Sezhedo seemed to slip away from the tall Togrutan's notice. His attention was locked onto Curtis. "You have succeeded today, but we will see how long you will last as my apprentice." It would take a bit more than that to solidify the belief that this would be the one to pass on all his dark secrets too. But it was a beginning. And even as he voiced doubt, he had indeed called him my apprentice for the first time. Furthermore, it seemed that the Sith Lord took it for granted that Curtis himself wanted to leave the academy, and become his apprentice.

It was a loose term, for now, but worth a shot. Certainly he had caught his interest. "My business is done on Bastion. Do you have any belongings you need to collect?"
[member="Curtis Learchin"]​

A small smile appeared on Curtis' face as the Dark Lord approached. Finally he was ready to leave this place. He looked over at Sezhedo, who was now clutching his throat, hiding the faint boot print that had been left behind. The Overseer looked equally shocked, for he had always favoured Sezhedo over the other students, and he was likely the reason that the Twi-lek had been previously undefeated. Curtis dropped to one knee as [member="Darth Pyrrhus"] came over, his power seeping from his shadow. So much to learn.

"No my master, I am ready to depart."

Pyrrhus watched Curtis drop to a knee with a neutral expression. Quick to submit, he thought to himself. It implied Curtis understood his position and the power relation between them. This suited him well, provided of course that he proved his loyalty and it wasn’t all a sham. It would all be tested in due time.

“Good. We depart immediately.” Pyrrhus replied, his tone, if one were able to discern such things, could be described as content. The Togruta turned, offering the Overseer only a look that told he was taking his leave, which he promptly did before any protest or other suggestion could be voiced. He assumed that Curtis would be following.

“Do not get caught up in wealth and possessions. They are all a means to an end, and never the end itself.” His words suggested that he approved of how quickly Curtis was ready to leave this place. “Don’t shun them, like the Jedi do, but never let the material have any power over you. This is your first lesson.” Their cause was so much more important than any of that. No sacrifice was too great. Even if Curtis already held this belief, it revealed his new master’s stance on the matter.

“So, apprentice” he began, glancing sideways over his shoulder to where hopefully Curtis would be keeping up. “What can you offer? And what is it you desire?” These questions were better suited for their walk to the ship, alone, rather than in front of the audience they had held before.

Curtis followed his new master closely, a few steps behind him. It was now that he paid attention to some of the Dark Lord's features. His breath mask in particular. Was it for intimidation, or was it a sign of a growing weakness? He hoped it was the former, at least until he had learnt all he could. As [member="Darth Pyrrhus"] spoke about possessions, Curtis looked down at his swordstaff. He had had it for years, it was his last memory of home, and the thought of losing it caused him great pain.

"I was raised on Dathomir my lord, trained by the Nightbrothers and sisters before I was brought here... I desire to learn of the force, and how best to use it to crush those who oppose us." He spoke with honesty, but a part of him nagged at his description of his upbringing. Did the Sith Lord know who had found him? Who had ordered his adoptive family executed? Would he allow him to have his revenge? Perhaps he would, but such was a discussion for another time.

Pyrrhus listened closely to Curtis’ words.Raised on Dathomir. It wasn’t a place Pyrrhus had frequented much, but he was naturally aware of them. He’d make a note of brushing up on their culture later.

I desire to learn of the force, and how best to use it to crush those who oppose us - The Togruta smirked, taking interest in how Curtis concluded his sentence. “And who is this ‘us’ you refer to?”

He hadn’t forgotten that the acolyte had withheld mentioning what he might have to offer the Lord in return.

"You and I master." Maybe Curtis was getting attached too quickly, but he felt a certain pull from the Sith Lord, one of almost parental nature. Harsh yet fair. He could tell that him dodging the question of his abilities had caused his master some annoyance, and he would have to work to show him the potential.

"I offer you my skills with a swordstaff master, and an outlet for you to store your knowledge of the force."

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

Pyrrhus nodded in understanding as his newfound apprentice spoke. “Let us hope you are receptive to that knowledge. I am not fond of repeating myself” He hoped Curtis would become more than an ‘item’, a walking holocron of knowledge, and be able to understand it, to apply it.

“You use an exotic weapon. Why?” There were many possibilities he could assume and guess at himself, but he wanted to hear it from the apprentice’s own mouth. “And the lightsaber? Have you trained with one before? Do you intend to make one of your own?” Whether he wanted to or not, Pyrrhus would ensure he familiarized himself with the weapon. The practical advantages of having one were simply too many to ignore.

The pair would reach his ship at last, or rather the shuttle that would take them to it. Immediately within the private hangar, Curtis would spot a group of soldiers. A squad of the Epirus Guardhttp://starwarsrp.net/topic/108143-the-epirus-guard/ stood in formation, armed with a Force pike in one hand and a shield in the other. Pyrrhus own personal guard force.

Walking up the shuttle’s ramp, the Togruta turned to what Curtis had said earlier. You and I master. “And what of the Sith? Do you perceive them to be a part of this ‘we’?” The Epirus Guard fell in behind them, and the ramp withdrew into the ship. There were many questions posed in this conversation, yet knowledge was power.

((Really sorry for the absence, haven't been able to post for a week.))

Curtis followed [member="Darth Pyrrhus"], only a few steps behind. "My weapon is the only thing that truly reminds me of home, it is what I fought with on Dathomir." Curtis replied in a somewhat defensive manner, for he harboured great respect for his swordstaff. "As for lightsabers, I have used a training saber, and I would wish to construct my own when the time comes." The lightsaber was a status symbol as well as a weapon, and having one would show that he was serious about the path he had chosen.

Upon arriving at the private hanger, the armed guards immediately caught Curtis' eyes, how could they not, with their bulky forms and greatshields. They were definitely intimidating, but at least they hadn't attacked him yet.

"Of course my master, I refer only to us because that's who will benefit most from our actions."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom