Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Para Beacon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi Pallopides

Heir to the Emperor, Former Senator of Denon
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Throws off Navicomputer Calculations
STRENGTHS
  • Presents as Navigational Harzard Beacon
WEAKNESSES
  • Does not affect Astromech droid navigation
  • Requires momentary access to navicomputer to update galactic coordinates
  • Computers can be safeguarded from it
DESCRIPTION
Designed as a simple but more effective counter measure to ships entering a system or trying to flee it. The beacon is designed like most in the galaxy looking like a navigational beacon to alert to navigational hazards or update ships incoming with new and important drift charts. Usually linked with or important information that alters calculations to lightspeed by randomizing the galactic coordinates used by the computers. Ancient styled hyperspace beacons used to navigate some of the sectors of space still such as the Tapani Sector which has navigational routes that are notoriously difficult. Hyperspace beacon serving for those needs as they can work to guide others through areas by feeding new information and simulations of where to go.

The beacon itself though is conical in its transmission direction requiring it to be aimed and position carefully as a means to wall off an area of space to mess with computers. The navigational hazard is a universal beacon that all ships would see and want to read allowing it to work more. As rogue black holes or debris fields in a constant war can create new hazards in space as well as in the frontier. This is not a perfect system and there are ways around it but as an idea and something that hasn't been used before it could serve a purpose until countermeasures are in place to stop is. Sasori's Phenex navigational computers are designed as one of the registers computers it does not alter for the company.

he more presentable and accessible the beacon the easier it is for them to alter and effect computers. larger detriments to it are astromech droids and military grade computers designed to have redundant systems for back up in case of problems with the primary computer. An advanced artificial intelligence designed for navigational procedures and movement of fleets such as the BAC which controlled movement or a slave circuit would also present a problem as those rely on a single system instead of an entire fleet with computers as their systems are designed to handle far more calculations then a standard computer to move all fo the ships safely and are generally using their own relays.

The older beacons were the products of a bygone research project and Ayumi worked to update and overhauyl them as something that could be released to protect key locations across the galaxy. Instead of interdiciton they would misdirect the ships into locations of danger or even just afew degrees off from many of the other locations. Ayumi has worked on it to become a better model and it would be able to handle some fo the latest ships acting as an updated navigational chart system for the more unknown regions where things can shift and need constantly to be updaated. With an AI designed to help infiltrate and give the false information to the ships computers.

Last edited:
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Ayumi Pallopides"]

So far as I'm aware, navicomputers don't download updates from random unchecked sources, in or out of hyperspace. Beacons are old tech, yes - and navicomputers generally don't need them, which is why beacons are usually only used for specific difficult/mutable routes. This submission would have been very effective about five or six millennia ago. As it stands, this would only work in highly changeable areas where beacon-based navigation is common and where navigators use beacons as part of their navigation strategies. For example, navigation beacons are commonly used in frontier scouting. This would be a decent piece of tech to use in walling off very remote/difficult-to-reach areas; otherwise, it's basically useless.

That's my understanding, anyway. If you have sources that explicitly say otherwise, I'd love to see them. If not, here's what needs to happen:

• Remove the ability to grab ships out of hyperspace through automatic route updates.
  • Specify that this may not work depending on a ship's navicomputer's update settings.
  • Specify that this will only work in areas where navigational beacons are commonly used by navigators: highly mutable/changeable areas.
  • Drop production to minor. With mass-produced, it looks like you're trying to make a functional border in space, and that's just not going to happen for territory as large as the SSC's or Republic's.

Ayumi Pallopides

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

edited partially updated with links to navigational links that are not in normal navicomputers. I have an interview to go to in town but when I get back I'll finish it and if there is anything else

Ayumi Pallopides

[member="Jorus Merrill"] and I believe I got everything and addressed some things that were pointed out to me such as military computers would have a back up that wouldn't be altered or ships relying on relays and a primary control ship as well as the astromech droid that would and does hold navigational data for short things.

But a hazard beacon is something that would be in use in the galaxy all of the time. As things can change and not just in the frontier. Fleets leaving a debris field if it was large enough or some fo the planets that have been destroyed would use them now and all computers would acknowledge them. It would be controlling to say they would all be altered but everyone is supposed to look at a sign if it says danger ahead.

[member="Ayumi Pallopides"]

That's a fair point and I like how you've couched it in the description. Just know that a lot of people, IC, aren't going to be pleased if and when they discover that Sasori is making fake traffic signs to run people off the road. I'm much more comfortable with this after your expansion and edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom