Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Option to Have Old Ship Stats Updated

Nyxie

【夢狐】
So as per this interesting thread, we've discovered that A ) the old guide scaling and the new guide scaling aren't even and B ) there is no way to make the old speed scale translate to the new speed scale since both are factually, mathematically inconsistent to one-another.

I propose a simple solution to this, as it will cause griefing between people eventually and is just a matter of time. :/

This comes in two choices.
1:
The staff makes a thread where people may drop requests to have their older starship submissions' speed and maneuverability stats translated into the new guide via a simple conversion such as the one in this post, without having to update the entire template (I have some thirty to fourty+ ship subs, see the issue with that?). This would be completely optional.
2:
The staff, following Larraq's suggestion, simply opens up the scale to 0-25 - a meager five points more, but enough breathing room to facilitate the difference (since after all, it was to make scaling easier, not harder).

Whatever the case, there is a clear and present issue plainly laid out in that thread and either of the above solutions are simple and straight to the point about resolving it, rather than rewriting the whole thing.

There is a thread its called the starship modification thread. I also suggest that you only update the starships that are in heavy use or are in use for an RP. No point in editing a starship that won't see use. [member="Countess Xyhn"] So, if you could post a link to an RP (not the dev thread) that the ship you wish to modify has been in use.

I'm not going to do a bajillion edits lol there's so much in the factory approvals that really never see use.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Oh, I always put my stuff to good use even if no one else does. I'll find a list of threads later. It's way too early for me right now.

Spencer Jacobs said:
There is a thread its called the starship modification thread. I also suggest that you only update the starships that are in heavy use or are in use for an RP. No point in editing a starship that won't see use. [member="Countess Xyhn"] So, if you could post a link to an RP (not the dev thread) that the ship you wish to modify has been in use.

I'm not going to do a bajillion edits lol there's so much in the factory approvals that really never see use.

I'm gonna have to come out and say it.

That's a bad call.

Ahri's trying to prevent drama, butthurt, and arguments be going ahead and updating her tech in accordance with the new guide. She's going a little overboard with it, but she's trying.

And the end result of what you're saying... Is that she needs to use it, risk causing drama over who's digital penis is bigger, and only then will you allow her to update her submissions.

There are over eight hundred fifty ships in the approved section of the factory. At least eighty hundred twenty of those are on the 2.0 system, or earlier.
What you and Ahri are proposing is just, logistically, a nightmare. It's far more trouble than its worth. At least a quarter of those ships won't ever see use in a major roleplay, maybe closer to a third. Some of the writers who made the ships are no longer here.

Oh no. Ahri's digging her own hole just fine. I'm not endorsing this one.

My proposal was an official balancing act to show writers where ships on the old guide fit into the new one.

Ahri ran off half-cocked.

When we get a report about butthurt concerning old submissions vs new ones, we'll deal with that specific report.

It's Ms. Jacobs call, but my opinion is that whether we do it or don't won't matter in the long run due to how few fleeting roleplaying there actually is.

Said it before, I'll say it again. Show me roleplays who's focus is fleeting and we'll care more about fleeting.

Valiens Nantaris said:
And when speed has ever made a difference to an RP. Ever.
Dogfighting.

It was an issue argued OOC with [member="Arrbi Betna"] during the Empress Teta invasion. It was also an issue argued between myself and [member="Ayden Cater"] during the invasion of Eriadu. Not to mention between myself and @Circe Savan during the invasion of Dromund Kaas, plus Fatty's alt's activities in the same thread... and Ahri's activities in the same thread... and myself and Syn's alt during the followup skirmish over the planet...

The Asahian (however it's spelled) fleet that [member="Popo"] made with his alt specializes in speed and carrier tactis.

And... I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but ship speed does come up quite a bit in roleplays.

Captain Larraq said:
but ship speed does come up quite a bit in roleplays.
From your perspective. I'd like to hear others'. Because to me, and I'm not discouraging you guys from continuing to do so, but it seems to be the same few people pushing for these issues concerning Fleeting.

Speed and maneuverability have a bigger impact on Naval battles than big guns ever have. For example...

Fleet A's slowest ship is speed 6.

Fleet B's average ship speed is 7.

Fleet A focuses on balanced and support ships.

Fleet B focuses on Assault Ships with big guns.

Fleet A uses its superior speed and maneuverability to stay outside the maximum range of Fleet B's guns.

Fleet A uses its vastly superior number of fighters and bombers to harass and weaken Fleet B while they skirt the battlefield.

Fleet A deploys mines and bombs in the path of Fleet B as they are chased around the battlefield.

Fleet A (once the opposing fleet is suitably weakened and has had their sensor and targeting systems disabled by wave after wave of bomber attacks) finally moves in for the kill and charges into the enemy formation to finish off Fleet B.

Tefka said:
From your perspective. I'd like to hear others'. Because to me, and I'm not discouraging you guys from continuing to do so, but it seems to be the same few people pushing for these issues concerning Fleeting.

Well... yeah. Because we're the ones that do it. That's like saying you want Jedi and NFU input on the mechanics behind Witch of Dathomir magic powers and artifacts.

Don't get me wrong, I feel the lack of direct comparison being a problem is a reasonable point.

However to reiterate what I wrote elsewhere:, speed ratings are really demonstrating the acceleration of a ship. As relative positions and velocities of ships at any given moment are hand-wavy in roleplay (at best), an exact comparison may not come up that often in roleplay anyway. If it does come up, discuss it with the other side, report it if you think it's getting abused. I think the fleeting community is decent enough to talk things through.

Raziel said:
I think the fleeting community is decent enough to talk things through.

In the grim, dark future of starwarsrp.net, there is only war.

And complaining.

War and complaining.

Mainly about war.

And eachother.

And Tef.

And rules.

And complaining about complaining.

On second thought. There is mainly complaining on starwarsrp.net.

[member="Tefka"]
We ran into speed rating issues on Teta with Anija and I vs Veles and Aedan Miles. With speed 3 vs a support corvette we had to adopt dogfighting tactics. Then when Aedan showed up we had to adopt tactics to combat the speed 1 starfighters he brought. Two completely different tactics adopted based on speed differences.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Ayden Cater said:
There are over eight hundred fifty ships in the approved section of the factory. At least eighty hundred twenty of those are on the 2.0 system, or earlier.
What you and Ahri are proposing is just, logistically, a nightmare. It's far more trouble than its worth. At least a quarter of those ships won't ever see use in a major roleplay, maybe closer to a third. Some of the writers who made the ships are no longer here.
If the writers that made the ships aren't here, then how are they going to request edits to their 20-30 ships to contribute to your nightmare? #Debunked

I said it would be an option for people who voluntarily want to switch to the new system, but seeing as most people probably won't anyways, I'm not really going to press the point further than I did in the OP. Though that actually supports the argument that maybe 100 or ships would EVER be requested in this manner. EVER. Not 850+.

Its one of those things if you want to edit them to what's going on now than go ahead. No one is forcing you to. Honestly, Fleeting isn't that huge of a deal and it really doesn't play a heavy role in roleplaying as of now. If the issue comes up I have some ideas on how to deal with it. But again, I'm not going to require it. If you want to edit your ships then edit your ships. But again for the ships you want to edit provide me a link where its being used in RP, if you can't provide - then don't edit it.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
60102-that-doesnt-make-any-sense-gif-moqs.gif

Seriously, though. For those of us who sell ships as a company thing, requiring a thread of use before we can ask for an edit is pretty ridiculous. If we can't bring ships we sell up to the standard, who will buy them now? Folks using them can't request an edit of the original sub and having us track down folks who we've sold them to and request thread links is a really round about way to do it. Its... Yeah. Its like not even a minute to go in and edit a single number, especially if all links to the sub are provided and if the number change is within the parameters of the ship. Not many people fleet... But there are A LOT of ship manufacturers that ruling would affect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom