Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Opportunities Are Borderless

730427-1515075952.jpg

New Cov is my home and always will be. My apartment in Ilic is beautiful, the scenery beyond the dome is beautiful too. Yet out there beyond the transparasteel domes lives an inherant danger. The same can be said for everywhere beyond New Cov's borders. And what levels of danger there are and in which direction that they are heading is always shifting.

And that brings me to a part of my tasks assigned to me by my parents and the rest of the Board of Directors for the New Cov Biomolecule Company. Unlike democracies or monarchies; New Cov's governmental body is corporate in nature. And as the leading company of New Cov; NCBC holds the top spot. I am their representative on the Galactic stage. My ambitions aren't just political but business-wise as well. And it is through both platforms that I can discover where the danger lays for the Covie.

I have shared an audience with some diverse individuals. From corporation owners to Jedi to Senators. There are some that I like more than others and even one that I find completely unnerving. A small part of me is frightened of him--no, wait--frightened of what he might do just to prove it to me that I am wrong. I can only hope that his influence only goes so far. He had briefly shown me a list of shell companies that he apparently owns and I wish that I could remember all of them. Yet it isn't as though I could recall colorful logos. On the contrary, I am completely colorblind, which puts me at a slight disadvantage in some respects. I will just have to work with what I can remember and with what our small intelligence network can dig up.

Today is a new day and with that brings a new meeting. I wait in my lavishly decorated sitting room, sipping from a glass of wine as I look out one of the windows to the jungle beyond. My dress is one of my favorites, the likes of which my Mother says brings out the colour of my eyes.

Yes, there is plenty of danger out there. And sometimes the danger is invited in. I just hope that I am prepared for it.

Tag: Darth Strosius Darth Strosius

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The lush world of New Cov was not one that he had made a visit to before, for it was far too close to the Core worlds for his liking. Too civilized, too hard to simply land and do his business without having to worry about things such as 'clearance' or 'docking fees.' Thankfully Alisteri had one or two cultists that were more than happy to sort such details out for him so that he could handle more important matters.

Normally he wouldn't be caught dead on a world anywhere close to Alliance space, but today he had arrived on New Cov with a purpose in mind and a meeting already arranged. Whispers and rumors had reached his ears of the prestigious New Cov Biomolecule Company, and from associates that he trusted no less, and thus he had hardly hesitated to have a meeting arranged. Admittedly diplomatic discussions were far from his most familiar of situations, but he would nonetheless see the meeting through personally regardless.

Better to lead from the front and by example after all.

Alisteri stepped past the threshold and into the sitting room, dressed in his usual armor anr cloak. He looked fairly out of place in such a refined and formal setting, more prepared for war than anything else. His masked gaze landed on the woman and he crossed his arms behind his back as he approached her, his steps slow and calculated. "Miss Terallo I presume?"

Liin Terallo Liin Terallo

I am growing more accustomed to men in armor. Ever since the Board of Directors hired Karlo Kyrr Karlo Kyrr and his unit as security, seeing someone approach that looks as though they are ready to fight in a war was a little less startling. Still, I am sure that a bit of surprise can be seen in my expression as the armored man approaches.

I clear my throat a little and put on a well trained smile. He towers over me as many do, and I cannot help but feel smaller due to my lack of build. The mask in and of itself is a bit intimidating and it makes me wonder why so many choose to wear them. There seem to be so many people with plenty to hide. My only mask is my smile if it is not truly a genuine one.

"You presume correctly. Welcome to New Cov." I extend my hand for him to shake. "Would you like any refreshments before we start?" Always the graceful host, there is a certain measure of decorum that I am to maintain.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
As expected, and as usual, his presence was unsettling to say the least. Even if one were unaware of his profession and loyalties, he had little doubt that his appearance alone was somewhat intimidating given how wide of a berth he was often given in crowds. As was intended.

Alisteri took the offered hand and gave it a firm yet small shake as he shook his head in response to the offer of refreshments. "I thank you for the generous offer but I am more than sated for now. Perhaps another time I can partake of them." Implanting the idea of a future meeting this early on was risky, but anything that would help in lowering the tension of the hostess was worth trying.

Fear would only worsen whatever terms he was to receive given the situation at hand. "Now, I have heard that the company you represent is tapping into some very fascinating fields of research. I trust that some simple enlightenment on the rumors and hearsay that drew me here is not too much to ask?" His head cocked to the side ever so slightly, curious and perceptive in equal measure. "Unless such information is reserved for after more fiscal matters have been discussed?"

A gentleman's response. I appreciate the politeness. I find it to be an exact opposite of what his appearance portrays. One can never judge a book by it's cover; or so the saying goes. And at once I find myself feeling more at ease.

I nod my head at his inquiry, turning about so that I face the window again and gesture for him to look out of it as well. "Biomolecules. My fellow Covie have been harvesting and cultivating them for centuries. These biomolecules are so rare and difficult to harness, that they cannot be found anywhere else in the Galaxy. Nor can they be synthasized. The conditions here in correlation to the distance New Cov is from it's host star, as well as other factors are what garner it's sustained growth. Many Empires have gained control over New Cov in the past, yet all have recognized how important it is for us to be left to our own devices so that we can ensure a proper supply of our most precious resource." I take a small sip of my wine as I pause. "These biomolecules have numerous uses ranging from medicinal to culinary to military. I can imagine that a portion of that holds your interest. Have you any questions thus far?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
His gaze wandered to the window at her direction, running over the scenery that laid out beyond it. New Cov was nothing if not scenic, even with the dangerous nature of the world that laid outside of the precious domes keeping it at bay. It almost reminded him of Rodia or Dromund Kaas in that regard. Perhaps the taming of such worlds by technological might and ingenuity was simply an inevitability given the examples of such thus far, that thought was comforting if it were true.

Alisteri nodded as he listened to the explanation, much of it being what he had already heard of from his initial inquiries into the matter. Hearing it from a proper source was always better regardless. "If I may, what are some common examples of these biomolecules when put into practice? I have heard of their advantages being applied to various fields but never any specifics given how rare they can be. Not that I doubt their effectiveness, but some more concrete knowledge will assist me in the discussions to come."

Practicality was his concern first and foremost, if he could not find a suitable purpose for the biomolecules to fill then he had no use for them. Substitution was already the cheaper and more appealing option in his mind, but not everything could be substituted in a meaningful manner.

His question was a sound one, and a common one at that. I give a polite smile as I turn my head to look up at him. "I think that it is safe for me to assume that terra-forming is not exactly in your field of expertise, so I will not go into detail on that. However if I am wrong, then please let me know."

I then gesture to his armor. "For battle, biomolecules have many uses. They can help in grafting new bodyparts for the wounded and quicken the healing process in greater speed than bacta can accomplish. And also---" I close a hand into a fist and gently rap on his bicep plating with my knuckles. "---our scientists have begun work on creating a new kind of steel that tests so far have found it to be unbreakable. It is lighter than beskar, yet more durable. We hope to expand the testing even further to not just weapons and armor, but to ship hulls as well." My staff are already working on arranging a meeting with a station that itself was a huge production facility. Not only that but it too is in unclaimed territory, just as New Cov is, which helps to broaden the customer base.

I tilt my head to the side slightly as I inquire; "Would you like to see a dagger prototype?" If I knew anything, it is that armored men had an afinity for weapons.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The masked man let out an amused hum at the remark, nodding in agreement with her assessment. He had no real use for terra-forming technology or techniques even if he did have the capability to make use them. Better to just occupy a more habitable world if such technology was needed for a planet to be inhabited, at least in his mind.

Combat however was very much something that he was interested in hearing the possible usage of where the biomolecules were concerned. Alisteri spared a glance, and a raised eyebrow, at the hand rapping on his armor as she spoke but said nothing of it. Medical and material purposes were what he was most interested in after all, and Ms. Terallo seemed to be well aware of that. "Fascinating prospects indeed. Durasteel is the main material we rely on in our operations at the moment. Easy to strip off of ships and make use of in large quantities, but a better metal is always a welcome concept." If such a metal was relatively easy and affordable to secure and use anyway, but they could discuss that later.

"I would not turn down the opportunity to see one no, I am rather curious how this new steel of yours can fare as weaponry." Of course offensive capabilities were just as important to consider as defensive and structural ones. If such a steel could still be manipulated with Sith Alchemy then his interest would really be piqued, but that was something for him to test on his own.

My assessment of the man proves correct. Not only had I guessed that terra-forming was not something that would interest him. But I had also hit the nail on the head, so to speak, that a new kind of metal would pique his interest.

I dip my head in acknowledgement and turn away from the window. On a small end table lies a wooden box and it is that which I collect. I bring it back to him, lifting the lid to reveal a dagger laying atop a retangular cushion. "This cutting edge dagger, no pun intended," I muse, "is both very sharp and durable. It has been smelted and folded with biomolecules hundreds of times. Do take note that I am not a blacksmith, so my knowledge in the entire process is limited." I hold the wooden box to him. "Would you like to try it?" I turn my head to face one of the walls whereas what seems to be a large decorative mosaic is in fact various sheets of different metals. "I have an assortment of panels available for you to try it on."

I return my attention to him, confident that despite giving him a new weapon to hold, that I am not put myself into any danger.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri regarded the wooden box with a slight tilt of his head, as if in surprise or even confusion. The hostess had been prepared for his arrival indeed, or so it would seem anyway. Given what he had heard of her previous visitors then he had little doubt that keeping a weapon around for demonstrative purposes was simply a requirement to clients such as himself. At least she was well aware of the target audience for her products he supposed. "I would very much like to try it, I am curious indeed."

He plucked the dagger from the box and inspected it for a moment, his masked gaze examining how the metal looked as he ran a thumb over the blade. "Perhaps this process is something to discuss at another time then, unless such methods are kept a trade secret. I can sympathize in that regard."

Instead of moving over to the panels lining the walls, Alisteri held the dagger in one hand and removed one of his shoulder guards with the other. He made a small slice into the material or the armor before checking both the cut itself and the edge of the blade afterwards. "Interesting. I would be curious to see how this metal can withstand tests as armor rather than weapon." He donned the shoulder armor once more and offered the dagger back to her. "Tell me how your hull constructs fare then."

A trade secret? Perhaps. Although when I told him that my knowledge in how the dagger was forged is limited; I was not lying. There are reasons as to why all of the details are not given to me. This way they cannot be forced out of me by competitors. I have heard that some of them can be ruthless in their attempts.

I am shocked as he removes a shoulder guard to test the dagger. And indeed a line is cut on it as the blade is dragged along it. However the edge is not dulled in any manner like one might expect.

To his question about defensive capabilities, I smile and set down my wine. "Follow me, my friend and I will show you." I hold up the box, lid open, to receive the dagger once more. When it is put in place, I close the box and set it aside before gesturing for him to follow me to the door. "We have a mock up of a ship in our testing lab, complete with various types of metal plating. There you can open fire on them without risk of injury, and see for yourself."

The journey to the testing lab is not a long one for it is straight down the hall and through a series of double doors. A lab several stories high is held within. Scientists have their desks hidden behind plasma shields. Numerous types of cannons and guns are lined up with their barrels aimed directly at the mock ship. "Gentlemen! If you could pause for a moment. We have a guest eager to see some of your work."

One of the lead scientists turns from his work and quickly approaches them, securing his tie with datapad in hand as he does so. "Miss Terallo, this is quite a surprise." He turns to the well armored man next to her. "I am Professor Nikko. We are working on a new hull plating that is both cheaper than Beskar, yet much more durable. Feel free to examine it yourself."

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Thus far this little venture to New Cov had been fairly successful, which was surprising given his occupation and the reputation that came with it. These biomolecules and their potential more than lived up to what the rumors had claimed. But he tempered his expectations and did his best not to appear as interested in the coming test as he was.

Alisteri may not have been the best at negotiations but he did know that keeping one's cards close to their chest was essential to swaying a fair deal, especially when he only had so much to offer. Being on the back-foot in such matters was thankfully a common and familiar occurrence, and one that he had plenty of experience twisting to his advantage. But first there was a hull to see and a test to be conducted before he could worry about the fine details of the coming agreement.

The short walk to the impressive laboratory helped to steady his mind and allow him to adopt a far more relaxed and neutral posture instead of one that betrayed eagerness or excitement. "Quite the extensive operation you have here." The masked man did allow a compliment as they entered into the testing lab, his gaze shifting from the shielded desks to the array of weaponry.

Alisteri offered the scientist a bow of his head at the introduction before finally looking at the hull plating in question. From a first glance it didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary, but he doubted that it was so simple. "A pleasure to see your work professor, and the work of your comrades. So far Miss Terallo's word has been proven very trustworthy about this new metal."

He nodded to the mock ship, making no moves to approach the various weapons and armaments nor the plating itself. "I'd hate to ask something of you and your crew so soon after meeting, but could I see how the armor handles a shot? As of this moment none of my vessels can withstand more than one or two direct hits before they penetrate the hull."

I watch Professor Nikko as his smile broadens. He adjusts his spectacles accordingly and gestures with his datapad towards the various cannons and guns. "Yes of course, sir. As you can see we have a wide variety of weapons to test the hull plating with." I follow along as he then bades us to go with him to a steel box nestled against one of the walls. He opens the lid and inside are various silencing ear coverings. I take the one offered and ready to place them over my ears, and I give a playful smirk as he holds a pair out to their helmeted guest. "I do suggest that you put these on, unless your helm has sound dampners?"

Within moments we are lead behind a large plasma shield where Professor Nikko seems to straighten his shoulders as well as his back before speaking with a rather pleased smile on his face. "As you say, sir, most hulls can only take one or two hits before they fail. Beskar is stronger in that it can take plenty more hits and resist highly charged energy particles like the ones produced by lightsabers. However it is highly expensive and the cost of hulling an entire ship with it is a huge waste in funds. But this new steel is far better than that. I will show you what I mean. Please put your ear coverings on. It's about to get very loud."

I follow his instructions and immediately it sounds as though I am in my own private dome. It is silent, yet my mind tells me that I should be hearing plenty. Seconds later the cannons and guns open fire on the mock ship. The floor tremors with each blast and the lab is lit up with the lazor and ion beams that wreak havoc on the mock ship.

This goes on for a few minutes before the signal is given for it to stop. The ship's hull glows in spots due to all of the kinetic heat, yet it has not buckled. Professor Nikko gives the signal to remove the ear coverings and I free myself of them in time to hear him speak again. "Our biomolecules, when melded with the metal enable it to resist kinetic energy. The harder the hit, the better it does it's job. And in the coldness of space, the absorbed heat dissipates quickly, leaving a lack of vulnerability. Would you like to go for a closer inspection?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
A variety did little justice to describe the assembly of weaponry in his mind but it was a rather fitting name all things considered. He idly wondered how the biomolecules performed when acting as weapons themselves or even as ammunition, no doubt a more durable frame or barrel would be ideal regardless. Another question to ask at a later time he supposed.

Alisteri dismissed the offered headwear with a small shake of his head, tapping the side of his mask as he replied. "Full sensory dampening was a basic need of this alongside respiration capabilities. In my line of work sometimes one or two limited senses can be ideal." Admittedly he mostly just used that function for meditation but on more than one occasion the slight muffling of the chaotic symphony that was combat did come in handy. Especially when sensitive hearing such as his taken into account.

The large shield seemed to be standard given the nature of the tests the scientist were conducting, one hardly wanted any sort of ricochet or back-blast to injure the operators during an experiment after all. Let alone shrapnel or a potential weapon malfunction. He nodded at the short explanation, briefly letting out a small chuckle at the idea of plating an entire ship with a Beskar hull, before reaching up to fiddle with the side of his helmet to turn on the sound dampeners. The sound of his own breathing was all that could be heard within his mask for the moment, a familiar and somewhat comfortable silence that he had indulged in many times.

The feeling of the weapons firing and the sight of their shots impacting the hull were hardly dulled at all in contrast though and for a brief moment he was almost reminded of staring out of a window or viewport during some ship-to-ship battle or skirmish. As was advertised the hull had not been breached nor even affected all that much aside from visible marks where the heated metal was still cooling, a sight that made him hum in approval. Alisteri switched the dampeners off with a simple press to his mask and turned to glance at Professor Nikko as he spoke, his arms crossing behind his back once more.

"That won't be necessary, I know well enough how proper armor reacts when shot. I was curious about the hull itself though, aside from simply how durable or effective it is." He nodded to the ship mockup as his gaze turned back to it. "And do feel free to answer without revealing any private or classified knowledge, but roughly how much of this new steel of yours is composed of biomolecules? In addition, is the hull here a composite of multiple alloys with this new steel mixed in or is it entirely made of this steel? I wonder if having plating or a frame of the steel would be better, or even if such different applications matter that much at all."

I cannot help it as I jump in my spot when the cannons and guns begin firing. I am not accustomed to witnessing battle. One man has told me that I have lived my life in a bubble and in some respects, he is correct. But my life's path is not of that of a soldier. I am trained to circumvent very different battles. Even this potential business deal is a part of that.

When the demonstration is over, I remove my ear coverings and listen quietly as Professor Nikko and my guest converse.

"Roughly one eighth of the steel is biomolecules. We are in consultations with a ship-building facility to study other means of utilizing the steel in construction, with different mixtures of alloys. With our own limited facilities, hull plating is the most that we can do at the time." Professor Nikko gives an eager smile that hinted at so much more that he wanted to say. However he is bound to keep his lips sealed on certain projects. This project alone is but a stepping stone to realizing his dreams.

I approach the two and smile to them both. "What do you think? Are you interested?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
"Only an eighth hm?" Now that caught his attention and made his mind swirl with possibilities and potentials. In his own, admittedly rudimentary, metal alloying and strengthening processes the mixtures could get by with a relatively similar level of additional material. Of course these biomolecules were unlike anything that he had used before but that only meant that even greater potential outcomes for his own work would be possible. Anything cheaper and easier to obtain than Beskar was good enough for him.

Alisteri already had a few experiments and trials of his own in mind in addition to whatever more practical ones the professor had hinted at, none of which he intended to disclose at the moment. Instead he gave a satisfied nod at the question as his gaze returned to the hostess once more. Clearly New Cov was a world that he needed to keep an eye on.

"Very interested, yes. Even without the potential future applications factored in I have seen and heard more than enough to warrant a deal or two." If only he had some sort of shipyard of his own to try and get a better position in the coming deal, then he'd be set. Hopefully offering up some spare hull material and other salvage would be just as good. "Shall we return to your office to discuss terms Miss Terallo?"

I cannot help but smile with pride as my guest can see a lot of potential that the biomolecules can be utilized for for his needs. There is certainly something to be said about inspiration striking at the right moment.

"Yes, of course." I turn my attention from my guest to Professor Nikko and dip my head in a slight bow to the man. "Thank you for a wonderful demonstration, Professor. We will leave you and your team to your work."

And with that being said, I return my gaze to my guest and gesture for him to follow me out of the lab. "Right this way, if you please." We follow the same route as before and I am ever so thankful that the walk is not a long one. "I am glad that can see the value in biomolecules that many here do. They are truly remarkable. And given that they are only found here on New Cov, it is unfair to charge such a premium rate for them. To do so would limit our customer base, which is not good for business. And as it stands this sector of space is still of neutral ground, which also keeps our customer base from being minimized."

We arrive at my drawing room which for the time being serves as my office. I will gain a proper one once I become a Junior member of the Board of Directors. But until then this will have to do.

"What terms do you suggest to start us off with?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri offered the professor a nod as he began to follow after the hostess, out of the lab and back towards her office. "I can see a variety of fascinating projects under your view already Professor, do give your team my thanks for the demonstration as well." The walk back was just as short as it had been the first time but it seemed to go by even quicker now given his train of thought.

If he played his cards right then he could score a deal that would provide the needed resources for many future endeavors. Of course, there was still that 'if' to consider and account for.

"Neutral ground with a rare resource that seemingly can't be replicated elsewhere, I do not envy New Cov in truth. Not all of your potential customers would take kindly to having to share your biomolecules." Normally such words from one such as he may have been seen as a threat, but he spoke them more like an idle thought or even with some measure of concern. "For your own sake, I do hope that not all of the potential applications of your technology are sold off. Having a secret weapon or two is a surprisingly good deterrent."

Regardless they had returned to where they had initially met and it was finally time to settle on some terms and conditions for their deal, for he very much intended to walk away with a deal this day. "Monthly or bimonthly shipments is something that I would prefer to have as a basis. A semiregular schedule, regardless of what is being transported or who does it, is something I need to be assured of."

The biomolecules would hardly be any use if he had none at his disposal, and would be far too costly to have more regularly shipped in even if he did have storage space to spare. Such would be costly in more than one regard as well. "I would prefer that my own vessels serve as transportation, but I am willing to meet halfway if you prefer to ship off-world yourselves."

My guest is correct in that not everyone would like to share. I had been warned of that before, yet so far all is well. I know that that cannot last, however I must do what needs to be done to ensure that New Cov is protected. It is not as though anyone would take the risk of having the entire planet taken hostage. And with biomolecules being only found here, the chances of the planet being blown up is even smaller. And therein lies our safety net.

I maintain my focus on my guest, interlacing my fingers together and allowing them to come at rest in front of me. He proposes regular shipments, but of what is not entirely clear. "Is it the metal that you wish to have shipped? Or the biomolecules themselves? If you have scientists with the ability to seperate alloys, then having the biomolecules in the metal might be a good way to have the nature of your shipments hidden from potential raiders."

Both of the types of shipments are possible. Although I am not certain of how many ships we could spare for transport at this given moment. Such an idea would need to be taken up with the Board.

"And what would you give in return for such a purchase? What is it that you bring to the table in trade?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
"Mainly metal, I currently lack the capabilities to make use of the biomolecules themselves. I would like to have some of those medical supplies you mentioned as well though, but those would be more supplementary than anything else." Materials alone would have to do for now, at least until he could get proper production facilities up and running. "Raiders and pirates will be of little issue to my transports regardless, of that I can assure you."

Alisteri gave no hints as to why he was so confident in such a thing, but clearly he considered the issue insubstantial at the very least.

Now came the time for him to offer up something in return, the part that he had been dreading since he arrived. "Credits of course, but in addition I do have some other goods that may be of use to you." He fished a datapad from a pocket of his cloak and offered it to the hostess, a manifest of sorts being displayed on the screen. "Scrap and ore are my main sources of income, I'd be more than happy to part with a freighter full of both in return for your biomolecule resources each time the trade is made. With credits to cover any gap in value that you see fit."

It was a deal that he had offered to many before and would continue to offer to many after. Cheap materials, even if in a somewhat raw form, were always valuable if one knew who they were selling to. "Nothing special of course, but some spare ship parts may come in handy for your future projects."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom