Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Location Ontani, The Last | WRotP Contest

if they're watching anyways
Space_slug_btm-removebg-preview.png

"Supermassive Space Slug", circa 874 ABY, decolorized, colorized, decolorized, and colorized again.

MainBar.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: A wacky, colossal thing to be explored, and a submission to the Wondrous Ruins of the Past Codex Competition, prompt 7 (because it doesn’t really fit any of the others idk).
  • Image Credit: Wookieepedia [ x ] with a speedy remove background by me, and that most excellent divider made by the eminent Srina Talon Srina Talon for the contest [ x ].
  • Canon: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Links: Exogorth [ x ], Hypergate [ x ], Gree species [ x ], Gree language [ x ], Colossus wasp [ x ], Mist-Weaver [ x ], Mist-Weaving [ x ].

MainBar.png

SETTING INFORMATION
  • Astronomical Location Name: [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C, “Ontani, The Last”; colloquially: “Supermassive Space Slug (SSS)”.
  • Classification: Cosmic Entity (Exogorth-adjacent).
  • Location: Slightly north of Belkadan at the edge of the Dalonbian sector; projected route takes it towards Companion Dorn, however, speed is negligible on a galactic map.
  • Speed: Low; sublight speed, just under 1 MGLT.
  • Size: Massive. Superior scanning equipment required for exact measurements; initial calculations suggest a diameter of over a hundred kilometers, and a length of several thousand kilometers.
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Population: Unknown; suspected insignificant.
  • Demographics: Unknown; suspected 100% Gree, with possible populations of other Forerunner civilizations.
  • Accessibility: Extremely difficult. Hyperspace anomalies prevent jumps directly to [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C; however, a direct route taken using sublight engines through deep space outside of system [XG-524157-GR-151820-8] is unhindered. [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C can also be accessed via [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-B, within the [XG-524157-GR-151820-8] system itself, on the debris field, [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A.
  • Description: [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C (to be referred to as “Ontani” for the rest of the report) is a supermassive lifeform of an unknown species, suspected to be related to (either as a direct progenitor or an advanced member of) exogorths. Molecular scans indicate that, like exogorths, Ontani is silicon-based, and the exterior anatomy is remarkably similar to that of an exogorth. Evidence from [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-B also suggests that Ontani is an exogorth or the evolutionary ancestor of the exogorth species.

MainBar.png

POINTS OF INTEREST
  • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A; collapsed second planet of system [XG-524157-GR-151820-8], debris field.
    • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A appears to have been a terrestrial planet, close to ten-thousand kilometers in diameter, with a core made of an iron-nickel alloy. The distance from the system’s star suggests it was squarely in the middle of the goldilocks zone, and would have been habitable to many modern sentient races. [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-B supports the idea that there was a population of Gree on this planet.
    • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A was destroyed after a majority of its core and mantle were consumed by Ontani. This process took at least several thousand years, though the complete collapse of the planet occurred within the past five years. Ontani completed its feeding six months ago.
    • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A-1 are the pieces of molted skin left by Ontani. The molting process is estimated to have begun ten years ago and completed within the last year. The skin is of comparable thickness to the pieces of the planet’s crust surrounding it. It is composed primarily of silicon, though has a variety of other minerals mixed in. The shed skin has retained remarkable integrity despite being surrounded by planetary debris and exposed to stellar winds and other astronomical phenomena. The molted exterior measures about six thousand kilometers, suggesting Ontani is roughly that length, though it is possible it has grown since molting.
    • System [XG-524157-GR-151820-8] has three layers of asteroid belts. It is possible that Ontani had been consuming other planets in the system before [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A, though no other molted remains have been found. However, this conclusion is supported by [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-B.
  • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-B; a pair of Gree hypergates located on the largest intact piece of crust in the debris field of [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A.
    • The hypergates are placed on top of a well-reinforced platform. Ruins surrounding the hypergates suggest this was once the heart of a Gree city, though it appears to have been destroyed well before the collapse of [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A. No other ruins or hypergates have been found within [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-A.
    • Both hypergates are active, with one being an entrance, the other being an egress point. It is unknown how they are being powered. Each hypergate is roughly twelve meters in diameter, and is composed of an unidentified alloy.
    • Consistent with Gree culture, the hypergates are not only technological marvels but also works of art. Numerous geometric symbols and pictograms have been etched into the hypergates’s rings, a form of Gree script.
      • The entrance gate’s structure is shaped like an exogorth eating its tail, like an ouroboros, the head and tail meeting at the top of the circle. It has two layers of Gree script encircling itself. Due to language constraints and minor damage to the surface of the gate, only a partial translation is available, as follows: “The Last, no less magnificent, takes these worlds. We accept this taker in spite of [Green Nonagon]. We go to the heart of the great destroyer in hopes that it begins anew, much like the [unknown color, parallel]. Acute pain is one thing we share with it. The journey is long, the distance vast; we place our trust in you to do [unknown color, rhombus], [unknown color, multiple vertices], our great protector, Ontani”.
      • The egress gate is more complex, the exterior sculpting seemingly unfinished, though nonetheless striking in appearance. The base depicts a number of exogorths, sprawling across the ground. On top of them stand two Gree, backs bent, seeming to hold up the hypergate. The sides are stark and incomplete. The upper portion seems to depict some Rakatan warriors mid-combat, facing upwards. The apex of the circle is completed by the over-sized head of some unknown insectoid species resembling a wasp, with its elongated antenna suggesting in particular a type of colossus wasp. A single layer of symbols surrounds the gate: “From the Queen, there is no escape. The Last is not alone. Far they will go, for their battle will shake the cosmos; [blue perpendicular], [unknown color, sphere]. Destroyers and conquerors come and go. The galaxy is [white concave]. Children, exogorths, continue; [yellow nonagon], the battle will never end. Ontani is great, but some fates are inescapable.”
      • Both gates are connected to the same location within Ontani.
  • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C, Ontani.
    • Exterior, behavior, and other traits.
      • Ontani is extremely dense, so much so that it creates its own gravity field.
      • Ontani’s exterior is tough enough to withstand practically any damage, though with some effort minor cuts have been made with high-powered plasma cutters, allowing the placement of low-frequency, long-distance signal transmitters across Ontani’s surface.
        • Ontani’s skin must be tough enough at least to withstand the extreme temperatures of the core of a planet.
      • Ontani’s mouth is closed tightly, preventing access by starships into its interior.
      • Ontani’s eyestalks are the only protrusion on its otherwise smooth skin. Its eyes watch its surroundings, though slowly.
        • It appears aware of the presence of nearby starships, even before it is directly visible by an approaching vessel.
      • Ontani is moving at a very low sublight speed by unknown means. It has released some small amounts of gas and other small excrements, however, the mass of these are insignificant, and not enough to increase Ontani’s speed.
        • It appears to be traveling directly towards Companion Dorn.
      • Exogorths are technically sentient, but attempts to communicate with Ontani have thus far failed.
    • Ontani’s interior.
      • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C-1, hypergate egress and entrance. These hypergates correspond perfectly in design to their counterparts at [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-B, though without the inscriptions on the ring. They also sit on a similar platform to the other hypergates. It is estimated that these hypergates are located somewhere within Ontani’s intestines.
        • The area surrounding the hypergates are separated from the rest of Ontani’s interior by some kind of enormous artificial membrane. It is made of some sort of self-healing white sealant. It is easily cut through, but will close only a few seconds after being cut. Attempts to take samples of the membrane have failed; removed parts fade after a few seconds, leaving no residue whatsoever.
        • This chamber serves as a forward outpost, and contains most necessary basic scientific and expeditionary equipment.
      • Ontani’s interior varies in durability, texture, and diameter. Via unknown means, Ontani contains a variety of environments and other effects.
        • Ontani produces some kind of artificial gravity field within itself. This field allows humanoids within Ontani to walk comfortably along Ontani’s “underside”, as the strength is just under standard. However, some circumstances have created variable gravitic conditions.
        • As a general rule, Ontani’s interior is slightly less durable than its exterior; however, researchers have generally avoided doing any damage to Ontani’s interior, for fear of adverse effects.
        • Most of Ontani’s intestines contain Type I atmospheric pressure and composition. However, rebreathers and other protective equipment is highly recommended for expedition safety in certain areas.
        • The average temperature of Ontani’s interior is 40°, though this varies greatly.
        • Due to Ontani’s thickness, it is impossible to communicate with the exterior galaxy from within.
      • Some areas contain natural lighting of varying sources. Many chambers are primarily dark, but have bioluminescent fungi growing along the floor, walls, and ceiling. In some places, Ontani’s body itself seems to produce light, for unknown reasons. These areas tend to have the most vibrant ecosystems. One chamber appears to have an artificial light, replicating the effect of a sun. Due to the vastness of Ontani’s interior, lighting often creates a blue sky, because of the distance and minor deflections off the atmosphere.
      • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C-2, acidic “sea”, suspected to be Ontani’s primary stomach. The area near the edge of this sea of acid is barren, separated from the intestines by another artificial membrane, in addition to Ontani’s duodenum and other parts. This area is filled with an extremely toxic and corrosive gas, and is significantly hotter than all other explored parts of Ontani. Attempts to send probes through the stomach have failed; all have been damaged or destroyed by the fumes or heat thus far.
      • Numerous ecosystems have been discovered within Ontani, becoming more complex and vibrant the further from the stomach. Ecosystems are often separated by the artificial membranes mentioned prior.
        • Closest to the stomach resides a colony of mynocks, seemingly feeding on residual energy from the stomach. Some also reside outside the membrane enclosing the hypergates, but appear to be unable to breach it, or to feed on the energy of the gates.
        • Fungal species tend to flourish; however, some plant and animal species have been found. They are almost universally species from the Veragi sector, however, each species seems to have evolved to better suit its environment.
        • Individual ecosystems can extend for over a hundred kilometers each, until being cut off by a membrane or having another noticeable change.
      • [XG-524157-GR-151820-8]-C-3, “sun room”, containing a large artificial light attached to the “ceiling”. This light does not move, but does dim into darkness on a regular cycle, each “day” being around 27 hours.
        • This ecosystem is roughly four hundred kilometers long and is at the widest point of Ontani’s intestines thus far explored.
        • Contains a large, humid forest, with a vast variety of species.
        • The far end of the area is blocked off by a wall that seems similar to the membranes found previously, but attempts to cut through it have thus far failed. A subtle music seems to emanate from the wall, and it seems to vibrate slightly to create the sound.
        • Attached to the upper side of the area are a large number of cocoon-like structures, estimated to be each around ten meters in diameter. They appear to be made of a similar substance to the membranes.
        • Near the center of the ending wall, there is a large stone statue, depicting a Gree that seems to be meditating.

MainBar.png

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

Excerpts from the logs of Dr. Jove Farver, head scientist of the expedition into Ontani.

Day 0

We’ve arrived at the system – it’s yet to be named properly, but we’re headed to Ontani, so I won’t talk about it too much. The initial exploration team let us do a flyby of the molted skin. To think a living creature could consume a planet… this galaxy is truly marvelous, just as it is terrifying.

Seeing it, I do suspect that Ontani is indeed an exogorth. Likely it is the oldest of its kind, far larger than the slightly mutated ones that inhabit asteroid fields, who have lived for millennia. How long has Ontani lived? If we could communicate with it, I wonder if we could learn its secrets. Perhaps it is fate, then, that now that we have discovered it, Ontani moves to leave the galaxy altogether, however slowly.

My team also took a look at the hypergates. We may be here for Ontani, but these too are worth as much attention as that great being. The artistry of their language, their sculpting, and their technology – it comes together in a harmonious blend.

Kaj, youngest of our group – a truly brilliant young man – assisted in a second translation of the characters on the hypergates, but was unable to fully complete it. He lamented that the paint on some of the characters had been washed away, leaving him to struggle to figure out which colors they’d used. I tried to encourage him, saying there were only so many colors, but he merely replied, “not to the Gree”. Nonetheless, he said he would try some combinations in hopes of creating a full translation. Cryptic as it might seem, I feel as though these last words left by the Gree were important – perhaps they left clues as to how their city was destroyed, why they left, and Ontani’s true importance.

Ontani has just reached the edge of the solar system. It’s traveling at a slow pace. Dr. Yun has assured me that they are keeping a close eye on it for when we go in. I have little doubt that our transport will go smoothly; nonetheless, the little “last dinner” served for our explorers is welcome, and everyone seems in good spirits.

Day 1

I admit, I thought entering the hypergate would be more exciting, but it seems like the Gree were quite functional in the actual use of their gates. It was a very simple thing. There was a little buzz of energy, and of course that swirling portal, but stepping through was very simple, and we were instantly taken inside Ontani. It barely felt like I’d moved at all, especially since our arrival had almost the very same design of gates and foundations.

The ground has a sort of red-gray tint to it. Odd to think I am standing inside a living being – when I think of one’s innards, it’s usually something soft and squishy, but this seems harder than durasteel. It’s too dark to see the walls from near the hypergate, but walking to reach them took almost a third of the day in itself. By the time we’d come back, the other half of the team had finished setting up the living quarters.

As expected, our attempts to communicate with the group outside failed, even with the most advanced transmitting equipment we could get. Still, we have the hypergates, and my team is responsible enough to make all of the scheduled check-ins.

After we’d taken a few samples, we met up to plan for the next day. We couldn’t tell which way was which, so the decision was rather arbitrary; Dr. Loa flipped a coin, and tomorrow we’ll be heading in the direction faced by the gate we’d come through.

Much like the hypergates, I find that a bit of the luster of this great being is wearing off, though I suspect the things we find tomorrow will add to its grandeur.

Day 2

We reached the membrane described by our forward team after a half-day’s walk. It spans to the edge in all directions, seemingly fastened to nothing. We tried cutting it in a number of different ways, all to the same result; it seemed to allow our passing, yet still sealed again only a few moments later. A touch of testing confirmed that it didn’t stop our communications back to our outpost.

The only thing it seems to keep out are the mynocks on the other side. Almost as soon as we got through, a half-dozen of the creatures soared toward us, intent on the low-power speeder we were carting our equipment with. Khur, one of our more hands-on members, was quick to fight them off. We went back inside the membrane, and after a bit of finagling, our engineer Pyl found a way to keep the energy signatures of our equipment less noticeable and less appetizing to the mynocks.

After that we traveled a few hours, then set up camp. We’ve spotted a few different types of flora and fauna; near our camp there are a few different types of fungi that produce a low bioluminescence. Some insects wander near the fungi growths. I also think I spotted a small rodent, but Cuima posits it’s unlikely that there are mammalian species inside Ontani. She and Dr. Loa have already started to identify some of the species we’ve seen, and have had a long discussion about the possibility of lifeforms having evolved to suit Ontani’s interior.

Life begets life, it seems.

Day 7

Ontani’s interior now seems barren, and I am quietly thanking my past self for ensuring that everyone brought exosuits. The air has become thick with some kind of slightly corrosive gas, and the heat is starting to get to us. After two hours of travel we decided to stop and send a probe droid forward – there are no mynocks in this area, so we do not need to worry about them eating our equipment.

The droid’s feed became fuzzy, and we were unable to retrieve the droid itself. The gas seems to have become significantly thicker the further it got; combined with the extraordinary heat, its circuitry was likely damaged beyond repair. However, it was able to provide some images – it found a vast sea, where the cavern seems to have widened greatly. The sea appears to be some sort of greenish acid, bubbling and boiling with the heat. It seems so hot, in fact, it created its own light, thus allowing the probe to see better.

I believe this to be Ontani’s stomach. The acidic sea seems far larger than where we are, which I suspect is the intestines, though I am unsure. The heat, I think, is primarily the remains of the planet Ontani consumed – the mantle and core of a terrestrial planet are unlikely to cool quickly, especially here. I can’t imagine the kind of burned tongue one would have, or the stomach ache. Then again, Ontani was able to survive burrowing into the planet in the first place, so I think it will be just fine.

We do not have the means to pass the stomach; from here we’ll be doubling back to the outpost to regroup. Vikken is a bit under the weather because of the heat, and pushing on likely won’t yield anything new. Still, I think returning with better equipment might yield even more exciting discoveries. Surely at some point the Gree must have passed through there to construct their hypergates within Ontani. I do not think that even their great constructions would survive Ontani’s digestion.

Day 15

After a pit stop at the outpost, we re-equipped ourselves and started out towards the other side of the hypergate area. Just like our first outing, we’ve found a membrane similar to the first, though a few hours further from our outpost than the one on the other side. We decided to cut our day short and rest within the safety of the membrane.

Khur, of course, is skeptical – the Noghri are quite familiar with blades, he said, and he believed he could cut through the membrane with a butter knife. He tried, and he did. Then he asked if we thought we were safer because of it. It did lead me to wonder why the mynocks didn’t want to come through. Surely even at this distance they could sense the power of the hypergates, and there was little difficulty in cutting through the membrane.

Yet there was something ethereal about it, both artificial and yet somehow more natural than even Ontani. Who put it there, and by what means? I think it is some product of the Force, but I can’t be sure; we have no Jedi or other such sensitive individuals with us. Something to be investigated later, but for now it seems like each is some threshold to be passed.

Day 20

We’ve come across an area with some more complex lifeforms. Plants and some small animals – including rodents, much to Cuima’s dismay – are in abundance here, though the plants don’t grow higher than knee height. Distant above, Ontani seems to be producing some light of its own, bathing this area. Without a doubt this is a boon for the plants, but it has made sleeping a touch more difficult.

We’re slowing down to take samples, but nonetheless I find myself wanting to move more quickly. If we are merely close to the beginning of the intestines, and life is already beginning to flourish here, what else might we find further in?

Day 24

It is easy to forget that the gravity here is artificial, in some capacity, and that we are within a great creature. We’ve “turned a corner” of sorts, and with it, the gravity shifted slightly, making it feel as though we were walking on the wall. Ontani seems determined to defy science – a creature so vast, it creates its own gravitic field, one that shifts within itself? The impossibility of it all just adds to the wonder.

Day 39

After passing the threshold of another membrane, we’ve found ourselves at the widest point thus far – we sent probe droids to find the edge of the cavern, and it took them almost a full day to get there. This too is the most vibrant point; whereas before the ecosystems have been small, here I can see tall trees and large animals; this seems like some great, healthy forest.

Above, too, there is a distant sun, some great light attached to Ontani. Unlike Ontani’s own light, however, it seems to create a day-night cycle, dimming to almost a sunset in the “evening”, despite not moving in its makeshift sky. Perhaps it was put there by the same beings that placed these dividing membranes.

Keeping on our exosuits here seemed a crime; the air is especially fresh and pure. Ontani has its own world within, even a sort of dirt and grass to stand on. How this is possible, I have no idea, but it felt a waste to not experience it against my own skin, in my own lungs. We’ve kept our tents stowed, and now we’ll sleep under a starless night sky.

Day 40

After measuring the time from “sunset” to “sunset”, Kaj confirmed that this artificial day cycle was the same length as that of the Gree homeworld. It would make sense that, if the Gree were living here, they’d choose their most familiar length of day. We spent the day traveling, all the while trading theories about the Gree’s purpose here; yet, we have seen no sign of them since the hypergates.

Day 47

In the distance, high above, we’ve spotted a number of white, spherical objects, somewhat resembling cocoons. I suspect that they’re made of the same substance as the membranes. At night, they shine a dull light, almost resembling stars.

Day 49

We’ve reached another membrane threshold. This time, however, it seems intent on keeping us out. Khur attempted to cut through it to no avail, and when he tried to shoot it, the blaster bolt deflected right back at him, injuring his hand.

Since we are unable to pass through, we went along this wall, and quickly discovered a large statue, seemingly made of the same substance as the wall, given its ethereal, white color. Like the wall, it seems especially sturdy.

The statue depicts a Gree, dressed in robes, seemingly at rest. We’ve been debating what exactly the Gree appears to be doing; Kaj insists it is sleeping, while Vikken believes it’s meditating, and others think it’s praying or some other thing. Personally, I’m unsure, but I would likely agree with Kaj, given he is our resident expert. Despite that, he says he’s never seen robes like that on a Gree.

As we prepare to rest, the “stars” above seem especially numerous, and there’s a low hum emanating from the wall in an almost musical tone. I find I’m drawn to rest near the statue, as though it promises to keep a watchful eye on us as we rest.

Day 50

I’ve received a communication from the outpost. Dr. Yun has informed us that Ontani has picked up speed slightly. Coincidentally, the long-range scanners picked up a planetoid not too distant from XG-524157-GR-151820-8 around the same time as the increase in speed. This planetoid appears to be traveling directly towards Ontani, at a marginally quicker speed than the great creature can travel. Yun was careful to note that the planetoid didn’t appear to be affected by the gravity of XG-524157-GR-151820-8’s sun. Obviously, they don’t think it’s just coincidence. Probes have been sent out to investigate.

There is no rush to end the expedition, of course, but it seems we’ve reached a dead end nonetheless. The wall standing between us and the next area seems currently impenetrable. We’ve decided to head back now, but I think each of us has already decided that there is so much more to discover here. The size of Ontani defies comprehension, and even its interior is too large to explore in only a month and a half.

No, we will come back. There is so much to learn here – enough, I think, that I could spend my entire life within Ontani, and still never understand it completely. I’d do anything for the chance to converse with this great being. Perhaps, in that regard, my greatest ally is time, even though my lifetime is likely a mere second in the eyes of this giant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom