Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Old Scars and New Wounds

Cinnagar Royal District, Outskirts

However Amani had envisioned the battle on Teta ending, it hadn’t been like this. Once their duel with Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn had come to its melancholic end, she and Alicio had made a quick exit from the front lines at the Count’s behest. They had done their part, and seeing him in this state was distressing enough. The healer led him away, and put him under the care of medical personnel that had been set up outside, where he was promptly processed and triaged. Something she would have managed herself, if the fight hadn’t left her weak, and still rebuilding her Force connection. Nonetheless she remained nearby, once she had been cleared of any injuries herself.

Later that evening, as the sun began to set, the sound of battle had eventually faded. Amani had fought to stay focused, but found herself overcome by a wave of lethargy that inevitably took hold. Inside their little tent, the Mirialan was slumped back in a chair next to Alicio’s bed, and wrapped up in a large blanket. Against all odds, sleep had managed to find her, if only for a few short hours.

MEDICAL TENT, TRIAGE AREA
EMPRESS TETA
Alicio had spent everything in the fight.

If he hadn't, he would have fought more against getting treated. His physical wounds were relatively minor, with the exception of long, deep scrapes across his body from when he had skidded across the pavement. But he had, quite literally, drained his own life essence saving Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn , only to kill her later anyways.

So as he was led to a medical tent, he didn't have the strength to deny them, nor did he have the strength to keep his eyes open for very long after lying down, falling into a dreamless slumber.

It wouldn't be hours until he woke up with a deep, panicked breath, sitting up tall in his bed, his heart beating an allegro tempo against his ribcage. It took a moment for him to identify where he was. To realize he was covered in bandages, on his cheek, and along his exposed torso and elbows. To notice Amani snuggled in the chair at his side.

To remember what had happened. What he had done.

Alicio brought his knees close to his chest, fighting to take deep breaths, eyes sparkling with barely-suppressed emotion.

- Amani Serys Amani Serys -

The Count's stirrings slowly brought Amani out of her own deep, peaceful slumber. Disturbingly peaceful. That realization was the first coherent thought to pass her waking moments. War was becoming too common. Too normal. The memory of hours prior came slow, then rushed in all at once as she finally realized the state Alicio was in.

Amani pried her eyes open, and jolted stiffly from her recline, "H-hey, hey-" She reached out, embracing him from the side. The pain he was going through was all too familiar, and she wanted nothing more than to wish it away. But beyond any such possibility, she wanted to at least be there for him. Amani pulled him in against her shoulder as if to protect him from it all, "I'm here..."

Alicio was fighting a losing battle.

Trying to keep himself calm was impossible. His breathing gradually sped up, until he was silently hyperventilating. He hugged his knees tightly, eyes boring through the tent's walls, staring at something beyond sight.

He lost all semblance of control when Amani rushed to his side, hugging him. He fell into her, grasping tightly, as if she were the one thing keeping him from blowing away. Tears began streaming in rivulets down his face, stinging the wound on his cheek as he gave up trying to contain himself.

"I'm sorry, I didn't... I c-couldn't- I can't..." His thoughts came out jumbled and raw, unable to form a coherent sentence in the midst of a nasty panic attack. The shock had worn off, and the full weight of the battle fell upon him all at once.

Eventually, he stopped trying to speak, holding Amani tighter, and silently weeping.

"Shhh…" Amani's heart broke. It was hard to remember that to Alicio, this was a dark new experience. Pains that had already scarred over for her, were fresh wounds for him. Seeing it all over again, through him especially, made it difficult to stay composed. She could mend broken limbs, cure incurable diseases, but here her powers felt meaningless.

"It's over. It's okay…" She held him tightly, trying to project all the care she was never afforded in her own time of need. Someone to lean on. A tender hand ran through his hair, then rested on the back of his head. The other, a gentle squeeze of his shoulder. Finally Amani cracked, a few tears of her own brimming over the waterline, "It's… I'm sorry, Alicio… I'm so sorry…"

Alicio lost track of time as he held Amani.

Everything was too loud. His pained breaths, the rushing of blood in his ears, the sounds of people outside, it all crowded in against him, an overpowering slew of tastes he couldn't parse.

But after some time, with the help of Amani's quiet words, the tactile feeling of her against him, and a sense of safety, Alicio felt his breaths shallow. His heart slowed little by little, as the world outside dimmed. The sounds became bearable.

He didn't forget what had happened. What he had done. But he wasn't alone in his sorrow.

Alicio sat up a bit taller, supporting his own weight, but making no effort to move away from the Jedi. He passed the crook of his elbow over his eyes, before looking at Amani, the reddening of his eyes revealing the subtle blues in his grey irises.

"I..." Alicio felt his throat close, but forced himself to continue. "I've seen people... die before... but I haven't... I've never..."

He had to stop, struggling a moment before speaking as he changed the subject. "Your leg. Are you okay?"

Amani shook her head, ready to offer some sort of consolation, when Alicio abruptly changed the subject, "My- What?" She looked down, where a fine cut marked the front of her shin. By now, it had been treated and wrapped over with gauze, but the injury hardly registered with her until he mentioned it.

"Yeah, yeah, it's- it's fine." Amani couldn't help but chuckle a bit, "My face, too, thanks for asking." She touched the bandaged bridge of her nose gingerly, its prominent profile slightly misshapen by the ruptured cartilage. If anything that was more bothersome than the leg; Tapping it made her eyes water, and each inhale was a little more unpleasantly sensitive, all thanks to the sucker punch she took. Still, it hardly felt important now.

"...What about you?" Amani studied his eyes for some deeper answer, but brought up no other specifics. She couldn't blame him for wanting to think about something other than Ishani's death right now. However he preferred to interpret that question, she left open to him.

Alicio took a moment to stare at the bandage on her nose as she pointed it out. He'd barely noticed it. In their fight, he wasn't entirely himself when she'd been struck on the face, but had remembered in vivid detail when Ishani's weapon slashed her foot. Her laugh pulled an unintentional smile from the Count. It didn't stay for long.

"...What about you?"

Alicio's eyes darkened. He let the question simmer a second, trying to decide how he wanted to respond.

"I... hurt a little." Alicio slowly motioned to his wrapped-up arms and back. "But it's not that bad. I, um... I barely feel it."

He took a moment after that, before deciding on honesty, and sighing choppily. "I feel awful, Amani. I feel... disgusting." He wiped under his eye, before continuing, his tone catching the sharp edge of anger. "The first person I ever kill is my friend, who wasn't even trying to kill me."

"I could've found another way. I could've, but I didn't. I just..."
The Count fell silent.

Amani nodded, her faint, reassuring smile eventually drooping into a frown as Alicio admitted to his internal conflict. His pain was understandable, and unenviable. The self-blaming, both all too familiar and expected.

The Mirialan shook her head, "She had, and would've continued to kill innocent people, Alicio. She even admitted as much. She didn't give you any other choice." It was a harsh truth, but perhaps hearing it from another would at least ease some of the guilt. Still, Amani knew she could never fully convince herself of that excuse if she were the one in his shoes.

"...You did the only thing you could." She squeezed his shoulder, then leaned back in her seat. Her expression grew pensive, and she clutched at the blanket beside her.

"….Remember when you asked me… Why I left the Jedi?" There was a twinge of apprehension to her voice; But maybe now was a good a time as any, if it meant letting him know he wasn't alone.

Amani's comfort was appreciated. It was what he would've said, were their situations reversed. Ishani hadn't given him a choice. She could have healed again, and eventually, she would have defeated them, or escaped to continue her ritual killings. He knew what Amani said was true.

He knew, but he had trouble believing.

"I should've been able to do more." He almost whispered the words, a silent curse joining countless others on Empress Teta. If only he'd been stronger, if only he were smarter, he could've...

"….Remember when you asked me… Why I left the Jedi?"

Alicio looked up, his emotional down-spiral interrupted by a timid interest. He slowly swung his legs over the side of the bed, swiping his face with a hand once more, nodding once. "I do."

He held out a hand.

There was a pause as Amani let what she was committing to sink in. It shouldn’t be a big deal. Just like Valery Noble Valery Noble had told her. She trusted him, after all. But as she realized during their night in Sanctuary City, that was exactly why she was so afraid to recount it. Amani looked between him and his outstretched hand for a moment, before gingerly taking it, “...Okayyy…” She sighed, and blinked slowly, “Buckle in, cause it’s a long story.” The Mirialan chuckled nervously, but quickly recomposed.

“When I was a padawan, with the Silvers, I went on a humanitarian mission to Onderon, with a friend, and our Grandmaster. The Grandmaster. We were attacked by bounty hunters working for the Sith. And I-She singled herself out very pointedly, “-got caught. So, to save the helpless student, our Grandmaster offered herself in exchange for letting us go.” Amani mulled over the words as they were laid out, studied the detail behind them with the years of retrospect she could now afford. It still couldn’t quite wash out the sense of failure.

“I blamed myself for a long time. Still do, I guess. But we moved forward. Even eventually got a tip off that she was going to be exchanged to the Sith Empire on Yavin. So, a strike team, myself included, went to intercept.” Amani huffed, and took a bit longer to move forward, evidently finding this a bit more difficult to get through, “Everything went south. People got hurt, and in the end they were about to get away with her, so I made the decision to step in front of a Sith Lord.” She tapped the center of her chest, then pulled down her collar to show off more of the scar,That is how I got this. But I survived, because, in my anger, I tapped into the dark side.”

“So after two complete failures, I got… desperate. I saw what the darkness did for me and I figured, if I could utilize it, then I could become strong enough to fix my mistakes. Save the Grandmaster. And get… revenge.”
Amani swallowed thickly, “I was naive enough to think I could control it. And I had this plan to work my way into the Empire and infiltrate it. Someone I cared about offered to help. And as part of our plan, we were going to fight, basically tricking them into thinking my turn was genuine. What I didn’t know, was… He was actually going to sacrifice himself for the cause.” She sat there, looking as if she wanted to cry, but was unable to. There was an even longer story there, and in truth it would only make things more complicated. Especially considering he was now back to life. There was an absurdity to it all that she was almost able to appreciate now.

“I guess it worked. Because the Sith offered me a place. It became yet another thing to blame myself for. But giving up would have only made his death meaningless, so… I kept my head down. Suffered in silence for months as I tried to find the Grandmaster’s location. After a while, I think I started to give up. And I would’ve been consumed by it all if I hadn’t gotten a lucky tip off. I went into action, broke into the complex and freed her, with a whole Sith prison security detail on our heels. We got to a ship, and up the ramp I heard someone try and stop me from behind. There was a gun against my back, and in the moment I just reacted on instinct and I-” Amani cut off with a faint gasp. It was the real point she had been trying to make through this entire story. A single, simple act of violence that brought the entire house of cards crashing down. “It was just some… guy. Not a Sith. Not a guard. A poor dockworker, just doing his job. He probably would’ve given up if I’d just bothered to threaten him. But I didn’t. I just…”

Her thousand-yard stare broke as she finally looked back at Alicio, “That was the first time I ever killed somebody. It ate away at me for a long time. It ate away at me so much in fact, I lost my connection to the Force entirely after. It hasn't even been a year since I got it back again. It'd be a lie to say I don't still think about it sometimes.”

Amani shook her head, and let silence fill the air for a long time, “What I did? All of those mistakes I made? The consequences? That’s why I left.” It felt like the weight should've left her chest after unloading all of that baggage, but it lingered. There was a moment of hidden panic beneath her eyes as she remembered why she was so apprehensive of telling him all of this. An underlying worry that it might ruin his perception of her. Somehow might ruin what they had. Justified or not, Amani couldn’t help but be paranoid of such a possibility. “...Any questions?” Her voice shuddered with fearful anticipation of how he'd react, her hand ready to slink away from his at a moment's notice.

Last edited:

"I have nowhere to be," the Count said in response, as he laced his fingers between Amani's, his eyes lingering on their connected hands. He remained silently attentive as she shared her story, his face resting at a subtle, somber pout. He kept his attention on her eyes, even as she wasn't looking at him, only breaking away from her face to look at her scar as it was pointed out. He listened, hanging on each word.

After speaking, Amani paused for questions, and Alicio couldn't stand the (admittedly short) distance any longer. He pulled the Mirialan up, guiding her to sit on the cot next to him, keeping the tether of their hands together. "I understand," he finally said, his voice low. "More than I'd care to admit, I understand."

He laid his other palm atop their connected grasp, tracing circles on the back of her hand with a stray finger. "Maybe... maybe some questions don't have a clear right answer. Or there isn't one at all. Or, in the moment, it's hard to tell what's right, and what's not..." Alicio bit his cheek, realizing he was rambling. Where was he going with this?

"Um, I guess what I mean to say is... Perfect is hard to come by. Decent doesn't mean perfect."

"What I heard was a story about a woman, who I care for very much, that did everything she could to save someone, got lost along the way, and found her way back again."
Alicio smiled mutely, keeping his eyes on their hands. "And... that's good enough for me."

It wasn't a cure-all answer to their problems. It was acceptance.

Last edited:
Amani followed his guidance and sat beside him, the tension in her body still coiled up for a few long moments before slowly unwinding. Alicio’s words rang with some truth; She had always strove to be perfect. And for what good it did, it also made the hurt sting that much worse, becoming a domino effect that cascaded until it became too much. From the small missteps, to life-changing conflicts. Maybe that was the real problem.

She kept trying to interpret decent as perfect. Even knowing that deep down, she’d never hold anyone else to that standard. Even knowing that deep down, it was unsustainable.

He understood that. And he accepted her without perfection. The doubts had yet to fade in full. Maybe they never would. But maybe they could at least be accepted. They couldn’t be changed, but they could be learned from. All part of that endless strive for ‘perfection’, without ever reaching it. Actually reaching it wasn’t really the point.

If nothing else, Alicio could make her believe that for now. Amani rested her head against his shoulder, “I just want you to know you aren’t alone.” Her voice was weak, but trembling with emotion. The struggle he felt was one she felt, too. “We do it together, right?” That’s what they had said. And it rang truer now, than ever.

He could tell Amani wasn't fully convinced by his words. To be fair, neither was he. He chased perfection in everything he did, too. Anything less felt disingenuous to whoever he was helping.

He owed it to the people he represented to be the best he could. Every mistake, every failure, felt like he was disrespecting those who counted on him. In killing Ishani, he felt he had spat in the face of the peace he stood for, despite his revelations.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out.

As the Mirialan leaned into his shoulder, he leaned his head towards hers, sniffling one last time. He didn't feel better, per se. But there was a peace that had escaped him. "Through thick and thin." Night and day. Right or wrong.

Alicio unleashed a meaningful pause, imagining the quiet sounds of night insects. "Thank you."

For saving him. For being there. For sharing. For so many indescribable things.

Amani turned and reclined back, guiding them both to lie down against the bed. She gazed at Alicio from across the minute distance between them, "You too." She offered him a flat, but warm smile. How she ever managed anything without him around seemed strange now. Like the final puzzle piece that had been missing this whole time. It was a feeling Amani had never felt before, not like this.

Their breaths intermingled, and for a moment she twitched her head forward, then stopped with a soft laugh, "I'd kiss you right now, but if my big, stupid nose so much as accidentally grazes anything right now, it's gonna really kill the mood."

Amani let the quiet moment linger a while longer before making her next offer, "Do you… do you want to talk about it? We can, if that would help. But, I get not wanting to right now, either," However much there was left to say. But maybe getting those feelings off of his chest could help. It's what she had just done, after all.

Alicio let his back rest against the cot beside Amani, the close proximity reminding him of his questionable state of dress. Despite current events, the nobleman had a bit of fun imagining the field day any Alderaanian journalists would have observing them.

Amani's comment coaxed an unexpected laugh from the Count, the joy shining brighter through his pain. He quickly pecked the Mirialan's cheek, before turning his eyes up at the tent's ceiling. "Well, that will have to do for now."

There was a moment of pause after her offer. Alicio hummed, unsure. "I... We can try." He blinked, a forcedly neutral expression on his face. If they had to stop, they could. He was sure Amani would understand. "How should I, um, how should I start?"

Amani hummed in satisfaction as he gave her a quick kiss, “I’ll make it up to you sometime,” She then laid on her back as well, staring blankly at the tent roof.

How to start? She shrugged, “Just… whatever you’re feeling, I suppose. Whatever comes to mind just… let it out, yeah?” Amani was admittedly more of a physician than a therapist, but she was getting a bit of experience in the latter more recently. Still, it’s not like you need a degree to show empathy and emotional intelligence, right?

“I’ll be here. And I’ll listen for however long you need me to.”

"Okay..." Alicio was hesitant. Even if she had consented to it, he didn't want to dump all of his problems on Amani. He could barely stand the weight of them all as-is, he would hate to add to her burden.

"I wasn't supposed to be here, today." He decided to start there, keeping incredibly still. "I just got confirmed as senator. It's official now." There was a brief flash of accomplishment in his chest, before it was swallowed up again. "Senators don't go to active warzones. But I had to do something.

"On Tython, heroes, like you, were on the ground, fighting for the safety of the planet, putting your lives on the line for others. I didn't do that. I showed up after most of the danger had passed. This time, I wanted to put my life on the line. I wanted to help people before their lives shattered. And... I did."

They were headed into dangerous territory. Still, Alicio pressed forward. "I led a squad. Used the Force to avoid patrols, smuggled a few groups of families out of the city. But then... she showed up." He couldn't share their history. Hell, he could scarcely say her name.

"W-we fought. I stabbed her through the chest. I-I-I tried to heal her, kept her alive for as long as I could, but then she regenerated on her own somehow, turned on me." There was an epic struggle within Alicio as he tried to keep himself together, which softened with his next thought. "And then... You appeared."

"The worst part? When I... when I got her, the first time... In that moment, I felt good about it. Before I really had time to think about what I did, I felt great. Accomplished."
He paused again, blinking hard.

"How messed up is that?"

Amani listened intently throughout his musings, her stare never leaving the tent ceiling until he finished. She smiled faintly as he revealed his senatorial confirmation, then frowned as he continued. It weighed heavily on Alicio, but she was intent to share the burden. Her hand squeezed his tighter, keeping that connection between them.

The Count stopped to ask a question, and after a momentary pause she responded, "She was hurting people. Killing people. You were protecting them. I think you should, to some extent, feel right about standing up for them. It's never that… cut and dry, I know. But either way that… intrusive, insticutal reaction doesn't mean anything. It doesn't make you a… a bad person. How you reacted after only further proves that."

Amani looked over at him, making sure he understood what she was saying, "And for what it's worth, being a 'hero' isn't just about… being on the front lines. There's other ways, better ways I'd argue, to be a hero." Being a Jedi was never about all the fighting for her. And the Count had ways to help of his own. "But, I guess saving those people here definitely counts, too." She smiled at him, and her voice grew softer, "As far as I'm concerned, you already are one, Alicio Organa."

Alicio squeezed Amani's hand back, holding it close to him, even as he kept his eyes away from her, staring at where the sky would be. The guilt would stay, as much as he wished to relinquish it. Amani said it herself, it wasn't cut-and-dry. There was nuance.

At her mentions of his heroics, Alicio managed a weak smile. "Thanks... But 'being the hero' isn't really the goal. I just want to help people however I can. And if I can help, I should...?" He frowned, his last sentence sounding more like a question than he meant it to.

"But even if the feeling was fleeting, I did feel it. And I felt betrayed, and hurt, and angry..." He shut his eyes. forcing himself to breathe. "I tried to... take it back, yes, but even that ended up being the wrong choice, because she nearly escaped to kill more people."

He opened his eyes finally, dark thunderclouds pointedly turned away from his girlfriend. His hands were beginning to tremble. "And then, after everything, s-she died. Maybe it was necessary, but I made that choice. I was holding her life in my hands, and I... Even if it was for the best, that's... really scary."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom