Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Off the record

images
NEW IMPERIAL ORDER
ORD RADAMA SYSTEM
Zoraya Ives-Ayres Zoraya Ives-Ayres

Three days had already passed since her arrival. Three days since she had begun to methodically dissect and rebuild the sector. And that came paired with three days of headache.

Not a single spacecraft had left the ports of Kushibah and Ord Radama without the permission of her officers. It meant that, even with her meager armada, she could hold an iron grip on the sector. But in practice, that proved to be everything but the case. Her minimalistic office was filled with holographic displays of, supply chains, profiles, statistics and recently filed reports. All of them pointing to the same, obvious truth. The kind that required assistance.

Marihn glanced at the blaster pistol that rested on her desk, pointing menacingly toward the door. Of course there were solutions. She could do it herself. Just one call, one summon to her office, and...

The buzz of the intercom snapped her out of her thoughts. The many holos that lit up the room disappeared with a wave of her hand, and the voice of her secretary filled the room with a press of a button. "The agent you asked for has arrived Ma'am." Finally. She strode back to her desk, and slid back on her chair in a supple motion. "Send her in." She replied curtly.

This would be the solution to her problems. She was counting on it.

niosymbol111_1.png

While she hadn't met the moff who summoned her in a personal sense and she wasn't one to engage in gossip, the reputation of the other woman preceded her from the snippets of information she had sought out herself from more reputable sources than idle rumouring.

After waiting mere moments outside Rence's room, the door slid open on command and she entered the room with a confident stride before halting opposite the moff, her hands placed firmly at her sides in an almost military-like stance. She wore a crisp uniform and neatly tied back hair, as was expected of her.

It wasn't uncommon for her to be described as cold and standoffish. Though many agents, particularly new ones, manufactured a degree of clinical behaviour, it was almost unyielding in Zoraya whose personal relationships were characterised by the same detachment exhibited in her professional life.

"ISB-273, Ma'am." She introduced herself curtly. The nuances of such formalities were beyond her as she had never been summoned by a moff before but being as much of a chameleon as she was, it wouldn't be difficult for her to adapt to the other woman's behaviour if she proved to be unorthodox.

She certainly appeared unorthodox with her striking appearance but she was yet to hear her speak.

Her pale fingers impatiently tapped against the handle of her black cane. The room - one of the largest offices of Ord Radama's municipal building - was empty apart from the military-esque desk and black chairs. "You like it?" Her lips, darkened to contrast her white skin, contorted in a smirk. "No, I don't like it either." The Moff leaned back casually in her chair, her eyes shifting to the windows and corners of the room. "It lacks a bit of a personal touch, no?" Her eyes finally locked on those of the stern-looking agent. Calculating grays clashing with defiant blues. "Although I suppose you military types couldn't care less about that sort of thing." She had found that her small talk was rarely appreciated by the admirals to whom she had delivered her chemical weapons, fuels and formulas. No, they were always straight to the point. Something she found quite amusing.
"ISB-273, Ma'am."
"Yes I know." She answered curtly.

"Agent Ives. Full name Zoraya Ives-Ayres. Female, ginger," Her eyes narrowed. "Early twenties if I recall correctly. And... mixed blood." She angled her head slightly as the words left her lips, attempting to gauge the agent's reaction. Despite the government's emphasis on equality, discrimination was still present in their societies, albeit more subtly.

The Moff drew herself up, one slender finger sliding over the table. The holoprojector activated, illuminating the room in the blueish light of dozens of mission report. "You have quite the record for an agent of your calibre." She circled around her desk, lifting her cane to point at one file in particular. "Stygeon Prime. You were unaware that your identity was compromised. That in turn endangered Taskforce Khem of the 501st." Moff Rence pursed her lips. "Bit of a shabby job." She sighed. "But I suppose congratulations are in order. After all, your life is worth that of several well-trained stormtroopers now." A smile played about her lips again. "Want to do another one?"

niosymbol111_1.png

Almost puzzled by the small talk, before she got the opportunity to get any words from her mouth the moment had passed. It was just as well since she likely would've responded with the wrong answer given that she wanted to be polite to her superior, even if it wasn't her natural state of being, but something told her the moff would see through any false niceties she gave. No matter how well she could act the part, some people were too good at reading others. She didn't yet know moff Rence but an initial impression was beginning to form.

It soon became apparent that quite the contrary was true of herself as the moff began listing information that she imagined was in her classified file. It was no surprise that she had access to the file and it shouldn't have been a surprise how detailed the information that was gathered without her knowledge was, knowing the ISB, but few people knew such intimate details of her and even fewer said them to her face. Her full name was used on legal documents and nothing more.

Her expression remained placid, neutral, as her personal information was detailed to her. It was somewhat disconcerting to hear but no slip in body language would betray her until the unexpected mentioning and gesture accompanying the announcement of her mixed heritage, at which point her brows furrowed slightly but she nodded in confirmation to cover up the slip and regained her emotionless expression.

Her gaze shifted from the woman to the holoprojector where she instantly recognised the reports being detailed. Were they the reason she had been summoned?

As much as the situation of Stygeon Prime frustrated her due to it being largely out of her control, she was not about to argue her case now. The best she could do was nod in agreement at the moff's comment on it being a shabby job. She could at least agree with that, even if she had far more to say about it. While the compromise in identity was not her fault, she should've seen the warning signs. She wouldn't admit it but she had gotten too comfortable and blindsided by her arrogance in the belief that her identity would not be exposed and as such had never prepared for the possibility that it could be.

Intrigued by the preposition, her expression shifted to a quizzical one. "Of course. Do you have something in mind?" She asked. While she was hesitant to talk out of place, still playing by the rules of the book, she had a nagging curiosity and given the short lecture she had just received, she figured moff Rence was unlikely to hound her for asking another question. "Are these why you asked for me?" She asked, gesturing to the files and adopting a less stiff stance afterwards. The peculiar woman seemed rather unconventional and less militaristic than expected so Zoraya adapted her behaviour to suit the situation.

"Of course. Do you have something in mind?" The Moff tilted her head ajar, one finger tapping against her chin as her gaze turned toward the ceiling. "Hmmm. What about the time you and a fellow agent failed to catch a common criminal?" She could hardly blame the agent that stood before her. She had multiple reports on this suspected jewel thief, including a bounty. But still, failure was failure. And in the ideal Empire she envisioned, there was no room for failure at all.

"Are these why you asked for me?" With a nonchalant nudge of her cane, the Moff shoved one of the chairs positioned near her desk back a little. "Sit down will you? It makes me look inhospitable if you keep standing there." She stood only a few centimetres away from the agent, eyeing her up and down for a moment. If anything, the woman called Zoraya struck her as a bit bland. The profile had suggested something... more.

Circling back to her own side of the desk, the Moff spoke up again. "To answer your question, no darling, I didn't summon you here to rant about your career." She leaned forward on her cane, not yet deciding to sit down. "Because that would be a waste of my time." Her eyes shifted to her intercom for a moment. "You want tea?" She already pressed down the button before giving her guest the time to answer. "Suranna, bring us two cups of tea please." Perhaps patience wasn't her strongest suit.

"Now where was I? Ah, yes." Three taps on the virtual keyboard, and the many mission reports made place for the holographic blueprints of a large, underwater structure. "I have officially authorised the construction of these deep sea mines. At least, that's what the populace will be told. In truth, this construct will be functioning as the database of the ISB and Science Bureau of the Empire's new frontier." The holographic construct spun slowly, allowing them to view it from all angles. "As you may understand, this is classified information. Top secret." She made a face. "Or that's what it should be." Finally, Moff Rence sat down. "There is a mole in my administration. Someone feeding information to whatever resistance exists on this planet."

"Now, I hope that makes it clear what your mission will be."

Her head dropped into a solemn nod, acknowledging her past failures. It was no doubt that she was ashamed and had it been brought up by an equal, or that trooper from the 501st who seemed to get on her every last nerve, then she would've gotten defensive but she knew it would be inappropriate to do so now. It was not a rare sight to see the usually headstrong agent submit to authority figures but it was such a contrast compared to her true personality that was only witnessed by her peers - those who could do her no damage.

Zoraya knew it was unlikely that she would be afforded a certain degree of immunity by being the daughter of a station chief. She knew how these things worked. While it might work to bolster what minimal reputation she currently had, she knew no one was responsible for her but herself. Her failures and successes were her own. Besides, it would look pathetic to have her family run to her defence for her errors.

She didn't shrink away from the Moff's penetrating gaze but waited until she had moved to a little less daunting distance before complying with her request and taking a seat. The next question came as a surprise.

"You want tea?"

"Uh..." Was all she managed. Rence seemed to move a million miles an hour. While she didn't have much experience of Moffs to compare to, this was certainly among the least expected meeting. Still, she was suspicious. In her line of work where deception was commonplace, it never paid to be overly trustworthy of one's intentions. "Thanks."

They would quickly draw to the true reason of her visit as the room was illuminated with the blue glow of blueprints. Her gaze ran over the structure before landing on the Moff's own gaze as she detailed her issue. It soon became apparent what was expected of her so she nodded to show understanding, though there was an outstanding issue that she wanted to clarify.

"Is there to be a trial for this person?" She asked. By what force she would complete the job would depend on the answer.

There was another outstanding question but she didn't want to irritate Moff Rence by prodding her with her own curiosities. After all, she had several failures to make up for and she was grateful for the opportunity to make amends.

"I won't let you down."
She assured her.

"Is there to be a trial for this person?" All she did for a three seconds lasting eternity was smile. She found the idea amusing. Nothing but laughable. Trials were for those who earnestly worked towards the greater good of their nation. For those who had accidentally walked the wrong path. Not for those who tried to undermine her rule from the shadows. "Sweetheart, this man or woman is directly opposing the Imperator's will. What makes you think a trial is warranted?" She glanced at the small screen positioned at her side of the desk. "Besides, this planet is dealing with enough civil unrest as it is." Ord Radama was anything but peaceful. The New Imperial Order had occupied it right after the battle of Serenno, initially without much resistance. But now that the Imperial forces had moved west to strike against the Maw, the extremists among the people felt like they had been given breathing room again.

"This mole has done more than leak classified information." She swiped again, the holo imagery changing to several recordings of bombings and sabotaged imperial crafts. "I suspect they're playing a role in several organised terrorist strikes. Bringing rebel cells into contact with each other left and right." Even if they didn't, the mole likely had some connections worth exploiting. "But unfortunately for them, I'm not stupid." The pale spectre of a woman leaned back in her chair. "Besides me, there are only four other members of my administration with access to those files." Her fingers had itched to pull the trigger of her blaster pistol whenever one of them came in, willing to bet on that chance that that would resolve her problems. "Commander Rift of the Governate Defense Force, Governor Salva of Ord Radama, Chief-engineer Noll, and Head-researcher Rhanla of the Imperial Science Bureau." She trusted the chief-engineer and head-researcher, after all, she had installed them herself. The other two, however, were much higher on her list of suspects.

"Naturally, one of them has to be involved in this. That's why I've set up a meeting with all of them, including you and some other personnel. It'll be up to you to figure out who has connections to these crimes." She paused, narrowing her eyes. "And I will leave their punishment up to you."

niosymbol111_1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom