Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Of Foxes and Hounds

CFyfshS.png
--I-- Playlist --|-- Ship --|-- Gear --|-- Vulpesen Vulpesen

PC-1867 was an unnamed moon on the edge of the known galaxy that had little to offer in the way of useful resources for the vast majority of the galaxy. It had a small colony of people, the total population was around two hundred or so and those same people were planning on leaving. The reason Anse was here? Was because he had bought this so-called worthless planet for so small a bargain that he at first thought it a joke. His income from his employer in the Agents of Chaos was a staggering sum to him and the first thing he did with it was scour listings for a place to live. This was how he came to be on this moon drifting around a larger planet covered mostly in water. There were two other moons, one a molten rock of pure hell and the other was covered in ice.

He stood with the deed to this place in his hands watching the colonists board their ship, one he helped repair, with mounting joy. His. This was all his and because no one else saw the value of it, he'd likely never have to pull out these papers at all. Acres and acres of forest, rivers, streams and one big ocean and it was all his. The buildings that had been set up had been the kind built and easily taken down. The kind of temporary things you'd expect for a colony. All that was left was the duracrete square that had been their town, but now soon only his ship would reside upon it. He wasn't going to build his home on it of course, he had his sights elsewhere about a mile off.

Winters would be harsh, but short, which didn't bother him at all. He had grown up living off the lands he found himself on when not on worlds selling his service. Now though, now he had this and it brought immense pleasure to his wolf. One of the main reasons the colonists were leaving was because their leader of their obscure little cult died. They had come to put aside the 'corrupting influences of the galaxy' however those same influences could have saved his life. Without anyone to really glue them as a clan, they fractured and gave up.

For him, he wanted a place he could return to whenever the wanderlust died down. A place that he could be beholden to no one, a place he could run wild without having to share. Of course, if he did decide to share, it would be on his own terms and he'd be charging them for the pleasure. As the ship finally got out of sight he turned towards his ship to grab a few things to got hunt his dinner and moved into the forest.

Some ways into the forest, in a small clearing, another ship would descend. A simple YT-1930 carrying a small group of passengers. Some of them bounced in their seats while those who had to stand, glanced around with anticipation. This was a sort of pilot mission. One of the first investigations of the Vitae Security Forces 5-O division. Usually intended for stopping and arresting criminals, this mission was of a different sort. Investigation.

At the controls of his ship, albeit reluctantly was Vulpesen himself, the Valde of the company and its overseeing governing branch. Deciding to oversee the mission he took direct control of the coming investigation. As the vixen touched down on the moon's surface, Vulpesen almost jumped out of the seat on his way to the door, barely remembering to unlock the door to his mount's cage.

The forest reminded him much of his home on Veradune as he rode on Shadow's back, a squad of officers behind him. Thankfully, he wasn't so cruel to his men as to ride on for miles as they walked. Deep though the forest was, Vulpesen had ensured that they could make it to the settlement's location in a reasonable time. Before too long Anse Baenshaol Anse Baenshaol and his home would be face with the eleven men and a giant fox emerging from the forest, most of whom looked on with shining golden eyes and tails of various colors.

Last edited:
CFyfshS.png

Anse had covered a fair amount of ground and had made it to the edges that held traces of people. Prey would be more likely found and as he heard the sounds of a ship he made his kill. He had just strung the deer-like creature up to let the blood drain into the container he set down to collect it when the pack of strangers showed up.

At first he had assumed it was the colonists, maybe something had been left behind somewhere that was important. He had been prepared to just let them be, but these were not the colonists. His upper torso was bare and blood stained his hands from the cuts he had made in the creature. He wasn't amused at the presence of these interlopers , his nose lifted to the air as the wind shifted directions and when he caught the scent of the man on the fox he growled. He recognized him. "Ye better have a reason for strolling onto my lands ye pack of fox-faces else I'll run ye off or see if I like th' feel of your fur as prize pelts."

It wasn't a boast either, he would indeed kill them if they thought to try and take what was his. His eyes were a bright honey mead gold, he was one step from changing forms. Only his long years of control kept him from doing so, but having intruders, especially once whose scent came from the recent
gathering riled his blood. He didn't know if this individual was a threat, but he'd rather be prepared.

Almost a dozen hands drifted a little closer to a weapon as the hunter made his threat. To say the least, Anse Baenshaol Anse Baenshaol wasn't making a good case for himself. Still, Vulpesen wasn't blind. He had bought a private moon and even now hunted his own meat for food. These were the actions of a self proficient man, a man who didn't require intrusion into his moments of solitude.

Dismounting from his fox, Vulpesen stepped forward, his hands folded at his chest. "Anse Baenshaol? We're from the Vitae Alliance's Security forces and we have some questions for you regarding the demise of Mr. Barek Ilgros." He recognized the man, but only vaguely. Blending into the crowd at that gathering, Vulpesen had noticed Anse speaking to the hosts of the meeting. If memory served, he hadn't seemed very happy about their goals, and had traded some rather angry words that the Valde couldn't quite remember. Based on that, he seemed aggressive but principled. In truth, it almost reminded Vulpesen of himself before he rose to leadership.

Given their leader's calm demeanor in the face of the wolf his men relaxed a bit, their hands drifting back to a neutral stance. It was a lesson Vulpesen would be glad they learned. Don't be afraid to fight or defend yourselves. But never be eager to draw your weapon. Often times a calm word was all it took to deescalate a situation.

CFyfshS.png

Even though the men relaxed Anse did not. He stared at Vulpesen and snorted. "Alls I know is th' leader of th' cult kicked th' bucket and they sold off this moon and I bought it. I didn't know th' man nor his pack, but his death benefited me. As far as I know this remote little rock ain't in space owned by one of the'factions, so why ye be stuffing your nose into my business eh?" He wondered now just what exactly he had gotten himself into. "Ye know my name, but ye don't seem ready ta give yours in return. How about ye change that eh?"

He absently cleaned the knife in his hand and sheathed it pulling a ready-wet wipe from a pouch and cleaning his hands. By the time he was done it was red and his hands were clean and then he pulled out another to get rid of the couple of splatters on his chest before he pulled on a pale green tunic. He used those spare moments to think and simmer down. He still didn't trust this man nor what he was on about, but at least he hadn't moved to provoke him further.

Vulpesen watched carefully a Anse cleaned his knife while requesting the names of those before him. A reasonable request if a bit lengthy given the company. Still, Vulpesen wasn't going to deny something so simple after intruding into his home. "Vulpesen Torrevaso, Valde of the VSF. With me are officers Jenkins, Smithy, Grel, Luveren, Surrala, Horsky, Madrelios, Therian, Yolas, and Buford, all from our investigation unit." As Anse collected himself, Vulpesen went on with their purpose. "We have reason to believe that Mr. Ilgros' demise may not be natural. And while you're correct in stating that no major faction owns this space, I ask that you mistake that for an excuse for lawlessness. After all, if the law truly doesn't exist in this area, by what right did you actually buy this moon? We of the Alliance aim to help enforce the law and preserve civility even in places such as this."

What the Valde didn't mention as of yet was that Ilgros had been in contact with the VSF. Desolate as the place was, he thought that some sort of law enforcement would benefit his group by keeping the peace. They had just been nearing the end of their negotiations when the alliance lost track of him. Naturally a wellness check would be in order. However, the swiftness in which his followers had decided to vacate and sell after their leader's death had created some cause for concern.

Anse Baenshaol Anse Baenshaol

CFyfshS.png

He supposed that was true enough, but it still irked him nonetheless. “Ye must have been in contact if ye knew him well enough ta come looking. I have been here a handspan of hours, so I couldn’t tell ye weather or not something foul happened. If it did, so be it, I trust you’ll go chase after his former pack and set things ta rights. As for ye enforcing me ta keep things from lawlessness…” He shrugged. “Only myself will be residing here, so I guess th’ laws be mine unto myself eh?” He then smirked. “If ye be wanting ta sniff around for a likely den, I’ll be charging ye for the pleasure of some of your pack living here. Might like having a few extra around ta help me keep this place mine. They just better take care of th’ land they share else I’ll be turning them into rugs. After we make such a deal, if we do.

He pulled out four small orbs and when he flicked them they came to life, two took to hovering, the others patrolled the ground around the tree. Small little things he had crafted to guard his kills from both insects and animals alike. They could take down something the size of his wolf, but not killing it if the jolts didn’t deter the animal. “Alright, I assume ye and yours plan on rooting around ta see if they left th’ poor sod somewhere aye?

He wasn’t an idiot and it showed, if getting them gone or getting at least some peace meant helping them, he would. After all, it behooved him to nose himself just in case, he didn’t want any nasty surprises.

"We were. He was hoping we could offer him a small force to keep the peace. And as for extending our attempted contract to you," Vulpesen motioned to the remote woods around them. "As much as we like our influence to be felt, you're right in saying that as the sole inhabitant, your laws are your own. We promote civility in civilization which I believe should consists of more than a single man." In his mind, there was no need to send any of his men to this planet. With a single inhabitant, there was no society for laws to be needed. Anse had no one to harm but himself and no one to report grievances to or about but himself. In short, this moon would be a waste of resources.

Seeing the orbs rise up, Vulpesen cocked his head towards them. Odd devices and he could only assume they served some sort of scouting function. "In the matter of our investigation, you are correct. I'm inclined to believe you, but until we have evidence of the contrary, I'm afraid you're still a suspect Mr. Baenshol. If you find anything, please let us know and don't touch anything until we arrive, unless you'd prefer to accompany me in my search." With that, he turned t the rest of his men and raised his voice so that they might hear him clearly. "Alright, split up and search the forests. I want you in buddy teams just in case you come across any trouble."

CFyfshS.png

He crossed his arms and snorted. "Ye must think I be th' kind of critter tha' would kill a man then just scurry off eh? Let me tell ye, if I were ta kill a man I would not hide th' deed, I'd state plainly tha' aye, I killed him. I did not however. His death, if he be dead, is why I have this place as my own. I also think that if he be dead? He did something ta make his pack turn upon him. So I hope ye don't judge them too harshly, situations like this th' reason ta kill probably isn't senseless or purely for selfishness. I bet once th' body is found you'll see what kind of murder it be, ye can always tell by th' way a body is left. War be one thing, but this be the' kind of personal thing that truly shows that sorta stuff."

He doubted seriously it would be a clean kill just left to rot. "I be wanting ta make a deal ta protect this place, not ta enforce laws. I have no plans ta allow such numbers here tha' would rape this place of its life. This be a place for me ta come and rest, ta hunt and just be. If others did come, they would be those I trust ta respect th' nature here. I just need extra eyes around, ye see?"

He then picked out a linen bag from his pack and started to undress, slipping behind the large tree as it might get too personal for his new company. "I won't be able ta talk here in a moment. I be thinking best way for ye ta keep an eye on me is ta help ye sniff out things with ye. I assume ye will wanna stay on my tail, hope ye and your long legged mount be able ta keep up eh?"

A patter of heartbeats later a gold and cream wolf stepped out from behind the tree. He was a massive creature, easily enough of a threat for both Vulpesen himself and his mount. He waited a moment before walking up and casually sniffing the ground and both the fox and the male rider that sat upon it. He went to each spot his people had stood in formation, getting an idea of the new scents. He then gave a snort and trotted a couple steps to the camp, then paused looking back expectantly and then headed towards where the colony had resided. It was then that he started to wander around with his nose to the ground. He followed what would eventually become clear had been paths between buildings.

Eventually he moved along the perimeter and then dug a small hole where he smelled people had walked. Eventually it became clear that one path more than the others was walked frequently by a smaller group of people than the others. He waited at this one in particular, would the fox tailed man let him keep going?

Vulpesen nodded to the man's initial words before voicing his agreement, "I doubt any other motus operandi would suit you. You seem like an honest man. As for the others, we'll judge them once we find them. If they provide an adequate reason, perhaps we'll show leniency. But murder is still murder. Hopefully there are some... mitigating factors."

Hearing of Anse's hope for defense, Vulpesen rose a brow. Perhaps he wasn't as lonesome as originally thought. "I'm certain we could place a small listening post if you desire. Something to call in more forces if we need a stronger force. As for your wilds, my people are familiar with working with it. Our own home builds within the forest, not over it."

Giving Anse his room as he shifted, the Valde smiled as a small river of memories came over him. Anse wasn't the first lupine he'd met, but it certainly had been a while. As the wolf got to work tracking the scent, Vulpesen followed after, motioning for him to continue on. Speaking a few words in Zorren, he urged Shadow to follow Anse's lead. Now with two noses to the ground, they traced the path. Perhaps this search wouldn't take as long as he thought. "Go as fast as you like. I assure you, keeping up won't be a problem."

CFyfshS.png

He trotted down the trail his nose to the ground, but after about half a mile he paused sneezing before he ducked into a bush. A moment later he came out dressed pushing his hair from his face. "Something foul on th' wind, wasn't too keen ta keep ta a form tha' smelled so well eh?"

It wasn't long till they heard the sounds of scavenger birds, but what struck him as strange was the smell. If the scavengers had gotten at a corpse he should have had little in the way of scent on the wind. If anything, one humanoid corpse wasn't even a whole lot to get that kind of stench. Something else was wrong ahead. As they got to the end of the path they would see the corpse of a herbivore laying on the edge of the path. No flies, though the guts were laid open. He stared at this with a frown. "What could have caused this?"

The fact there were no insects, bothered him, but when he came closer to it he saw plenty of flies. Dead on the ground. Not much killed flies, he suspected a poison of some kind and looked to Vulpesan to see what he thought. This sight, and the stench he smelled ahead, worried him. It also made him very angry, but he kept that in check.

Following after Anse, Vulpesen would patiently trace his eyes over the surroundings, searching for anything along the path that the wolf's senses would miss. Unfortunately, he would find the same thing that Anse did, a foul stench in the air. While not as strong as his own animal form, his nose was certianly more powerful than the average humanoid and unlike Anse, Vulpesen was unable to turn it off. "Foul seems to be an apt description, if not an understatement."

Continuing on towards the corpse, Vulpesen knelt down and looked over the beast. Having spent his youth as a trader of such things, its status as an herbivore was obvious to him. What wasn't obvious was its way of poisoning. Glancing around the dead flies and the displaced organs, Vulpesen's brow furrowed. "Somethings not right... I assume our friend Mr. Ilgros has met a grizzly end, and possibly by such a poison. Should a creature eat his flesh, they themselves may contract the poison much like the flies that fed from this beast. But an herbivore eats flora not fauna, thus it partakes in no flesh. What then, poisoned this beast?" The words, while spoken aloud, were mostly spoken to himself. Presented with a puzzle, Vulpesen was doing his best to fit all the pieces together. Problem was, he didn't yet have all the pieces.

Rising up, Vulpesen clicked into his comlink. "Gentlemen, we have a 45. Therian, Yolas, Jenkins, 18 25 it. Get ready to scan it." Though he was leading the mission, the Valde was present as a support role to his men. The heavy lifting and chemical analysis would be left to them while he tracked down the evidence.

Turning his attention back to his current companion, Vulpesen stood back up. "Lets go. I've a feeling our goal isn't very far away." With that, he continued on, his tail flicking behind him in anticipation. Something foul was in the air, and it wasn't just the smell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom