Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOA Not Feeling So Great About Being Here...

Hey.

I've had quite the month, or at least, quite the beginning of the month. Rapid fire posts, threads that were popping, and the general enjoyment of writing with talented writers.

But, recently, it's felt like all that dried up. All that writing I was enjoying, every thread, just stopped. People I was writing with either got busy, or just got bored. Some of them are still writing, just not with me. And hey! That happens! We've all been the person to give up on a thread, and we've all had threads given up on. Not everyone meshes with everyone. That's how RP goes, more often than not. Life gets in the way.

But for me, it just happened to nearly every thread I'm in. That's a lot of writing—and a lot of things I was trying to build up to—suddenly just stopped. Stuck in limbo. And again, that's just how it goes. I understand that. I certainly don't blame anyone.

But I can't pretend that it isn't one hell of a motivation killer.

I tried to ignore that. Told myself I was being stupid, and that the motivation was still there. Told myself that I was just letting a minor annoyance get in the way of what I enjoyed. Told myself that a thread would pick up soon enough, and that I would feel like an idiot for ever thinking this way.

But I still caught myself thinking that way.

So I wrote a blog post, as a way to remind myself that I still enjoy writing Gatz. An experiment to get my creative juices flowing, and to convince myself that I was being dumb.

And it was like pulling teeth.

That was all the proof I needed. The truth is, my desire to write here just kinda… died with those threads. And knowing that those people are still actively writing, but have grown bored with writing with me, well… it’s a bummer. But still, I convinced myself to suck it up, reminded myself that this shit happens, and hoped that maybe that motivation would come back. So I slept on it. Twice. Woke up this morning and was still indecisive. Kept thinking about it, and spent a little time browsing the board, trying once more to spark some interest in myself. Then the site died, which got a good laugh out of me.

So after work, I poked around again. And, suddenly, I wasn't indecisive anymore.

It's plain and simple: I’m just not feeling great about my writing, or about writing here. Sorry to those I’m in threads with, dead or otherwise. Maybe that’ll change, and I'll be back again. Maybe not.

Either way, I wish you folks the best. As we often say in this fandom: live long and prosper.

Holy cannoli you are an ace writer! Been enjoying our Gatz-Jay thread (while I wait for a reply lol)!

I've read up on your posts. Not to namedrop but that Nar Shaddaa thread with you and Valery for instance is a great read. Your blog is also awesome.

I will admit I can relate to what you say personally. Most of my threads have stalled and it really can sometimes just be because people get busy. Or they miss notifications (remember that happened in ours? lol). It happens but man it'd make my day to rp more with you especially while I wait on threads lol

Trust me man personally I'm not bored in our Lok Down thread for what it's worth. Contrary, I figured you got bored with me. It's generally a worry for me personally.

On that note, if you gotta go, you gotta go, but even if we don't write together your presence on this site is more than welcome and I doubt I'm alone with that sentiment.

You're in two private threads.

The first, Curiosity, has only one person in it who last posted Monday. Three days ago.

The second, Mirror of the Past, has Valery Noble in it - one of the most prolific posters on the website. She last posted Tuesday, two days ago.

These are not "dead" threads. Maybe they told you they weren't interested in pursuing the story further? Either way, you signed up for the DARKWIRE LFG thread, which seems like it hasn't started yet, but factions usually take their time to get started. Maybe it fizzles, maybe not, who knows.

But c'mon man, you end with "sorry to those I'm in threads with, dead or otherwise."

It's two people. Two private threads. To be extremely charitable to your writeup here, I'd assume you're also referencing your other accounts, but that one only has 50 posts and your master account has 0 posts, so I'm guessing no.

Maybe play-by-post ain't for you, maybe you need a creative outlet that's a bit faster. Look at some RP servers for games and stuff, I'd wager, something that moves a bit faster. Either way, stay safe out there.

You're in two private threads.

The first, Curiosity, has only one person in it who last posted Monday. Three days ago.

The second, Mirror of the Past, has Valery Noble in it - one of the most prolific posters on the website. She last posted Tuesday, two days ago.

These are not "dead" threads. Maybe they told you they weren't interested in pursuing the story further? Either way, you signed up for the DARKWIRE LFG thread, which seems like it hasn't started yet, but factions usually take their time to get started. Maybe it fizzles, maybe not, who knows.

But c'mon man, you end with "sorry to those I'm in threads with, dead or otherwise."

It's two people. Two private threads. To be extremely charitable to your writeup here, I'd assume you're also referencing your other accounts, but that one only has 50 posts and your master account has 0 posts, so I'm guessing no.

Maybe play-by-post ain't for you, maybe you need a creative outlet that's a bit faster. Look at some RP servers for games and stuff, I'd wager, something that moves a bit faster. Either way, stay safe out there.
You make fair criticisms. I wanted to be angry with this post, but it made me stop and think.

I'm letting a few tough personal days carry over into what I enjoy, and I'm allowing it to lull me into a decision that isn't remotely logical, or reasonable. Which is stupid. That's just me passing blame instead of accepting responsibility.

You're right that I ought to think about other avenues, and I should probably slap myself upside the head too.

So, thanks Tef. I'll think on what you said.

Looking at some previous threads, I'd also suggest in the future you "let it cook". You strike me as a fast roleplayer, who gets very hyperfocused.

When you do that, you need to be aware you're absorbing one person's attention. I saw one thread you went 1v1 for >10 posts in ONE NIGHT. That's a lot of writing, fam. I support it, but the average tempo in play-by-posting environments is MUCH slower.

You're lucky to get one post out of me per thread a night, even 10 years ago. And the opposite spectrum of you not noticing social cues of "maybe I should give my writing partner a break", many roleplayers (despite what they say) also lack the social cues to ASK you to slow down. Which is why with guys like you, I don't fault you for not knowing you should slow down your tempo to respect your writing partner, because most roleplayers do you the disservice of never telling you.

Roleplayers burn out on threads. You're speedrunning burning out your partners, imo. Then average roleplayer attitude settles in, where you don't ping them for posts and they don't tell you they're burnt because you post so fast.

I know I come off as blunt, but I do honestly feel like you've never seen someone give you this information in a straight forward manner in this environment, because people here are overly surface-level nice and don't want to risk hurting your feelings.

It would be sad to see you go as I really enjoy your style of writing, and I hope you change your mind. I know for myself that I have waves of activity. Days when I can get all of my posts done, and others where it takes me a couple of days to get through all of them, especially if I have multiple threads and writers who have been waiting on me. Some I know have been waiting on me since late last week. I homeschool my kid, I'm currently remolding my kitchen and cutting out my own cabinet doors... I say this not to give an excuse, but just to point out that sometimes writers need a grace period, as we all have lives outside of Chaos. Sometimes writers also just need a friendly reminder, or a poke, to see if there is interest still there. Anyways, choose what is right for you! Hopefully you'll reconsider.

Theres a fine line between excuses and reasons and it depends on who’s talkin lol

Briana hit the nail on the cabinet. A post for me, a slow reader, is like 30 minutes if its quality. Asking for 10 posts from me, and to read 10 posts from you, is absolutely bananas.

That’s 5 hours of writing, maybe an hour or two of reading and re-reading, after an 8 hour work day. I need to eat man.

Please let me eat bro please

I slept on this last night. Well, tried to, but I think I managed to get my head straight.

Then I woke up this morning, went back through this thread, and to be frank: let out a long groan at myself.

I already gave you guys a long, whiny, childish rambling of how I felt. I'll try to keep this one marginally shorter. Especially since my feelings last night were pretty… invalid.

This was dumb, and I'm dumb, and I am both morbidly embarrassed and quite a bit ashamed. I let a bad week bleed into something I enjoy, and in that foul mood I chose to get upset over little things instead of, like, going outside to touch grass. Chose to be impatient, despite me reassuring people I would be patient.

Hell, I work forty hours a week and I'm the primary caretaker to a woman with two terminal illnesses. Among other health problems. If anyone should be understanding of not being capable of dedicating frankly ridiculous amounts of time to a hobby, it should be me.

I'm sorry. Made a pretty big ass of myself. Enough that I'm almost too embarrassed to stay after this, but it probably can't get worse, right?

To those I might have scared away from me with this thread, that's fair, and I'm sorry. To those of you that might still be willing to write with me, thank you, and I'm sorry.

And to Tefka: thank you. For the first post, which was a swift kick in the ass I sorely needed. For the second post, which was what really made me take a step back and reevaluate this whole shindig. And for the final post, which managed to get a real chuckle out of me for the first time this week.

I'll leave my bullshit at the door next time.

I don’t think either of us are alone when it comes to making mistakes, being dumb, feeling embarrassed and ashamed, regretting things we said or did, and that’s because we’re human.

Unless you kick kittens for a living, the focus shouldn’t be on what you said or how you said it but acknowledging and moving on from it. Personally though I think you might feel worse than how your post actually came across, at least to me it just reads to me as someone just needing to breathe, and we all need to breathe—especially under your circumstances.

If you’re sticking around, Gatz, I sincerely hope you find your groove again and wish you all the writing you can muster, whether ten posts a night or just one, we’re all different in that way.

Welcome back!

I once got super drunk and fielded two hours of questions from 50 people on a Discord town meeting about a Star Wars fan website.

Real men (or roleplayers) have humility. You had yours, we all have ours, walk it off so you can get back to enjoying what you enjoy, wherever that may be.

I make an ass out of myself on here a lot but people still welcome me and write with me. I know what it’s like to worry people don’t like you but I don’t think this community is like that. People are generally understanding that sometimes we just make human mistakes.

Don’t worry dude. It’s all good. Stay and chill with us.

“ Live long and prosper” (this made me lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom