Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No More Gazing Across The Wasted Years

As she shot her typically quiet remark, and stood to walk on, Connor rolled his head forward and shook it.

Women!

Give him a Sith Sorceress or Lord any day - at least they were easy to read and you knew what you were getting.

Connor tapped his hands on the ground and pushed himself up, brushing down his backside a little to shake the loose grass. Kyra was a good few feat away with her hound.

"What's riding you? Either get that stick out your backside or just tell me what your problem is with me or the galaxy? You're so..." he chuckled and shook his hands,"...touchy!"

[member="Kyra Sol"]

She looked back at him in confusion.

Force, could she do nothing right? She'd bit back her immediate response in favour of something more thoughtful and tasteful and still he'd taken offense to it! Silly man, complicating matters.

"Nothing's wrong, Con'. You were right, I need to loosen up, but I also know better than to cry for help half way across the Galaxy. Meet me in the middle here, will you?"

She shot him an innocent smile, trying to convey that things were fine, as she pressed on through the water.

As it started to become deeper, though, she shied off. Glaring at it with distrust when it swallowed her ankle and threatened to ride up to her knee. With a hiss she pulled her foot back and scurried back toward the grassy shore. No, she did not like that.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Connor shot her an amused look as she made a stubborn fuss about trying to look normal and act as if she was ok, but it was about her actions in the water. What was she doing? She was like a child, even now.

He stood in the shallows, the water over his boots, hands on hips, watching her. To be honest, he hadn't even clicked they were walking to the lagoon until she danced out of it.

"Are you alright? What's wrong now?"

[member="Kyra Sol"]

She continued to glare even once she was out of the water, her breathing just a little bit heavier were anyone even remotely paying attention to it. What the kriff just happened?

"It tried to swallow me!" she exclaimed, eyes wide. "My foot just kept going and going and..."

Her eyes turned over to him, pure unfettered fear wrought upon her expression.

"There was no floor... What the..."

She shuddered and scrambled away from the bank itself.

"Don't like it, I don't like it, I do not like it. No thank you. I'd like to leave now."

She turned on her heels to head back up the rocky incline toward where the ships lay in wait. She had never felt quite so helpless before.

”Woah woah woah!”

Connor called, trying not to laugh at how silly she was being. But more than just silly, she was being serious - there was some psychological fear and lack of understanding. Connor kicked the water gently around him.

”Why are you acting like you've never seen water before. You...you HAVE seen water before, haven't you?”

[member="Kyra Sol"]

An awkward laugh. One hand lifting to rub at the back of her neck.

Kai turned to face him, there was no humour in her eyes.

"Sure. I mean, in refreshers... And taps... And canisters."

She gulped, and flicked her gaze back to the river she had been following, to the sinkhole she'd almost lost her foot to. A shudder made its way along her spine, goosebumps speckling her exposed skin.

"Can we go, please? Somewhere else, anywhere else... Raxus, or heck Jakku... Anywhere that isn't..." This. Green and brown and grey and... blue. No, she wanted the durasteel back, the sand, the junk. There she knew what she was up against.

This place was dangerous.

At her request, all the Jedi could do was smirk with more amusement. He wasn’t going back now, as much as he loved Jakku and the sun-baked worlds, even Voss, he was here for some quiet, and if Kyra Sol bolted at the sight of water, her future was going to be very, very limited.

Standing in the water still, he held out his hand.

”Come on, he said gently.

She wouldn’t leave without him, and he wasn’t going anywhere.

It was peaceful, safe and tranquil.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

She stared at him as if he had just asked her to eat an entire bantha.

He was just stood there, staring at her, not moving at all save to extend his hand out to her. Was he being serious right now? Was he... She scoffed, then laughed. But it turned into more of a whimper than she'd expected. Finally she shook her head. She had to get away from here, from that thing which had almost swallowed her.

Two steps back, body still facing him.

She couldn't leave without him though. Wouldn't. And he seemed to have his heels dug in pretty deep.

A growl of frustration left her, one hand lifting up through her hair to grasp. Chaos, what was she doing here?

"Fine" she snapped, moving closer to the edge but not allowing so much as the edge of her boot to touch the water. Her hand reached toward his, fully intent on pulling him back to the riverbank and up toward their ships.

He shook his head, looking away for a second whilst giving a bemused laugh.

”Quit playing and just step over here will you, I don’t have all day.”

Connor knew the problem, but he wasn’t going to address it until she did, and he wasn’t going to move either.

He flexed his hand again, out of reach without him moving, for her to wallow into the water to take.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

She took a very small intake of breath which practically shuddered through her core, and tried to steel her nerves.

Damnit, Kai, you've been through far worse than this. It's a little bit of water! You shower in it every day, drink it from the canister at your hip... Just step into it, Con's there. Stop being a wimp.

Her eyes flicked every which way, before focusing down at her feet. Looking for shallows, or rocks she could step along. Force she hated this.

"I'm not playing" she grumbled, with a slight whine to her tone the likes of which she hadn't made since she was still young enough to live among the pirates.

He moved his damn hand further from her reach, which had her brows knotting. He was testing her, and it wasn't a nice feeling at all. She had nothing to prove to him, right?

Another exhale of breath, and finally she took the plunge. One step into the water. Eyes closed tightly for a second, as she realized she hadn't sunk. Another step... Her eyes opened, gaze lifted. She stared at him, and tried again to reach for his hand.

"Please, Con', this isn't funny..."

Her voice tremoured as much as her lips, legs feeling like jelly, but she stood there trying to prove a point.

Connor could have laughed, but he wasn't joking or playing around because there was an underlying issue to her and she had to face it if she wanted to become someone new.

”I'm not laughing,” he said coolly, ”so just walk here and take my hand.”

He took a step back, the water over his ankles, but that was all. There was no current, no wild rapids or swimming beasts - bar the odd fish - and the main lagoon was down from them enough to walk to.

"Come.”

His eyebrow raised a little.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

He moved again.

Kyra glared. Then she whimpered. A horrible sound, one which made her feel sick. What was she, some child? Some wounded animal? How dare she make such a noise!

But she was scared. More so than that, terrified.

"I hate you sometimes" she whispered, tone terribly somber as she took another step forward and again tried to reach for his hand. The one he kept pulling out of the way. This wasn't fair, he couldn't set goalposts and then move then when she reached them.

Water sloshed up to her ankles, and she tensed up and went as white as a ghost. Her cheeks had an almost green hue to them.

"Please... Connor, please... Don't move again... I can't..."

She looked around herself, and shook uncontrollably. He was getting closer to where her ankle had fallen into the abyss. Didn't he realize that it would swallow him too?

He didn't react to her plea. Connor pushed and pushed and pushed; it's what he did. It's how he brought out the people behind the facade they lived behind.

"Take my hand. Trust me.” he said again.

And with that, he raised his boot and started to edge back - the longer she took, the further he would go.

The water, it seemed, was her biggest enemy yet over anything she'd talked about before.

"Trust me.”

[member="Kyra Sol"]

"I'm trying to take your kriffin' hand!" she bellowed, a sudden flush to her cheeks that spoke of undiluted temper. Her breathing was heavy, her eyes wide, as he continued yet again to move out of the way.

"I swear... I kriffin' swear... You move one more time and I am done!"

Her hands balled into fists. Trust him? TRUST HIM? When hadn't she trusted him? And now he was leading her astray with that trust. Why?

"You're cruel, Connor Harrison!"

Without warning she lunged forward, several feet in the water, as she saw him near the very edge. He would not fall in. She would not allow it. Instead she reached for his hand and tried her damn hardest to pull him away from the edge.

"Please don't go..."

Her frustration fell on deaf ears, and Connor just looked at her, hand out, foot moving back.

Within seconds of her outburst, she sloshed through the water with a piercing look in her eyes and grabbed his hand, and the snaked up to grab his wrist and pull him. To which he simply rooted himself and pulled back.

"Stop,” he ordered. "Stop!”

He pulled his hand out of hers and grabbed her shoulders – she was making more noise than any of the creatures inhabiting the jungle at this point, and he had no time for her losing her head. So, he shouted his order for her to calm down.

"Get a grip. You bothered by a bit of water? Look.” He held her with one arm and turned to the stream that babbled away to the far lagoon. "It’s this and nothing more – you can walk to the lip and it won’t get above your knees. What are you freaking out about?”

[member="Kyra Sol"]

A most stern, and uncomfortably loud, voice broke through her panic to drag her back to reality. Connor did not look impressed, not one bit, no siree, which had Kyra feeling what she could only imagine to be what a chastised school child did when they were shamed by their teacher.

It took exactly zero effort on his part to wrench himself free from her iron tight grip. She pushed back the pout which wanted to rise up and instead set her gaze to his with a fierce intensity. He wanted her to be strong? To pretend like this... thing didn't scare her? Yet he also wanted her to be true to herself. Well she was afraid. More than she had ever been, and Kyra had seen a lot in this Galaxy.

He held onto her shoulder though. Whether for support or to keep her from running she couldn't say, but she drew on the gesture for comfort all the same. How could she be so infuriated and captivated by his presence in unison? Sometimes she hated him, wanted to throttle him, and other times... Well, that was best left to the imagination.

She closed her eyes tightly, and inhaled a very slow breath. He wanted to know why? Really? Did it matter to the why?

"I haven't been in water like this before" she said, feeling her whole body tense as she began to recollect... something from her past. "But there was a time once where I felt like I was floating in nothingness, drowning, unable to breathe as it swallowed me whole... Damn pirates can be cruel at times, but a woman scorned..." She shuddered, looking down at the natural springs they were stood within. Not some artificial container. Real, true water.

Her gaze lifted, over their heads, as though looking for... Something.

"Not a lid, not a container..." she mumbled to herself. Her time with the Aquar in her youth had been fleeting. They hadn't taken her to the submerged depths of their home, knowing that she would simply drown, but that didn't stop them from tormenting her all the same. An artificial tank, exhaustion seeping over her...

She choked on her breath for a moment, and looked back to Connor with wide eyes. The pirates had been a mercy, in truth, when they bought her from the woman - her brother's mother - she hadn't been made to see water in such a capacity again. Refreshers, canisters, that was it. Until now.

But Connor wasn't them. He wouldn't make her feel like she was about to drown. She had to trust him, him if nobody else. Nobody else in the whole Galaxy. She swallowed back her fears and gave a slight nod, stepping forward to meet him though her legs felt like jelly. Somehow she managed it. The water rose and her body tensed but she didn't back up. She wasn't stuck, she wasn't trapped, she was free amidst the elements.

And that had to account for something.

As she spoke, Connor looked down at her and just let her speak and without thinking his hand started to gently rub up her shoulder, the comforting protective side of the Jedi coming out.

It made sense a bit more now; it wasn't just a fear of water born out of living on a sandtrap like Jakku, but more like torture and the fear of drowning. Just what had she been through? Connor didn't even know to this day, and she wasn't good at speaking what HAD gone on, so all he could do was piece together fragments of conversations over the years and months to paint pictures - pirates and Sith Lords and junkyards and scavenging.

"It's ok, it's ok,” he said softly.

Kyra was looking at him for a lifeline; reassurance to pull her from those dark memories that held her back from living.

"Look, Kyra, you are safe with me. I would never put you in a dangerous situation, ok? You know that. Let me help you. But to do that, you have to be more open with me. You have to let you the darkness within you or it will consume you.”

The water babbled softly around the two friends stood in the middle of it like an island.

"You just need to open your mind. Open your heart. Let go of the hate and the suffering. For if not today, then one day,” he didn't waver from her gaze, "one day I will lose you to the hate you feel for them and I will not get you back.”

Swimming and water therapy could come later; Connor needed to fix the girl standing before him.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

She reached out her hand to take his as she finally stood right on the edge of the dip. Somehow she managed to school herself just enough that she was no longer trembling, though her eyes remained just as wide as ever.

One hand nervously lifted to rub against the opposing upper arm. He hadn't left her this time. Hadn't tried to back up further. He stood like a lifeline rooted in place. And for that she was grateful.

What he said next however confused her, made her frown. Did she really appear to be angry? To harbour hatred?

"I don't hate them" she whispered, swallowing back her discomfort at the conversation, "Not anymore... For a long time I did, but I realized that in doing so they still held power over me."

No this was different, The way her foot had slipped into the abyss just now had left her feeling helpless, a sharp pull back in time to when she was just a child. A time she had done her best to block from her mind.

"I... It just scared me. Stupid, I know. I feel better now, though, I promise..."

Up snapped the defenses. Her back straightened, her head became more level, and her gaze finally met his. The urge to flee was gone.

Connor picked at the front of her mind; it was closed off. He could get in no problem, but he wasn't about to break her thoughts. She would have to learn to let go one day.

"That's good,” he patted her hand. "Come on,” he said.

Pulling away, he turned and walked slowly through the water, sticking to the bank, but sloshing along sending splashes up and over the water towards the lip where it trailed into the emerald lagoon.

"We'll have to find something to do here; can't wander around the lakes for hours can we,” he called out, not looking back in hoping she would follow.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

Just like that he turned to venture further. The comforting hand was gone, but she realized that she didn't need it. She wasn't drowning, wasn't being dragged down, and so long as she followed the trail he was walking she knew she wouldn't run into a sink hole. Because that's all it had been. No monster, just a dip in the water basin.

Her eyes roamed the area for a moment, before she chewed on her lip. A lot had happened in a short space of time, on this world. A lot to mull over. A change in direction... And that meant that she had to be more open and honest with the idjit infront of her.

Her Master. Psht, wouldn't be caught dead calling him that!

"When I was younger" she said, as she waded through the water and resisted the urge to head back onto the grass "Like, real younger, maybe four..." It was hard to recall, if truth be told, though she tried anyway, "My old man did something stupid. Slept around like nobody's business, everyone knew it even my poor mama, but he was usually safe about it..."

She wiped her hands on her trousers, and looked back up to the sky. It helped, kinda, in her recollections.

"Guy was an Imperial Officer for the Sith Empire, stationed over on Kaas. Swell guy, you'd have simply loved him." Her voice was laced with venom for just a moment before it evened back out. "Anyway, he traveled a lot with them during the Empire's heyday. Met a lot of women. Well... He was stationed on one world - Velusia - for a little while longer than the others. Slept with this woman, one of the native Aquar... Next thing he knows there's a half breed baby on the scene. Well, my old man was many things but he didn't shirk on his duties. He also wasn't one for askin' permission either, very self entitled..."

She shrugged. Though deep down she hated that he'd cared more about the mutt than his true blood daughter.

"He took the babe - Levia, he named him - and left Velusia. Brought the kid back home. My mama wasn't happy, broke her heart it did, but she didn't hold it against the boy. My pop'? Sure. But not Levia. I didn't know any better, I hadn't had a sibling before and I liked that he was around but... Then the woman turned up out of the blue. Armed to the teeth."

A long pause. She even ceased to walk for a couple of seconds... But a sudden shuddered breath took care of that and she continued following Connor through the river.

"Wasn't just content on taking back her boy though, was she? She was furious, worse I've ever seen anyone in my entire life -- and my story includes freaking pirates -- well... She took me too. Away from Kaas, away from my mama and my pop'... Honestly? I barely even remember them, my parents. It's all so hazy. But her? Her I remember clear as day... I was just a kid, hadn't even been to school yet. Well when she realized that there was no legitimate way to keep me - I mean, Velusia is mostly water. Pop' had lived on a temp base while there - she uh..."

Kyra coughed. Her hand lifted to rub the back of her neck. Can't stop now, Kai... You're on a roll and if you back out here you'll never get it out.

"She put me in a containment tank on their ship, and put out feelers on the holonet's darkspace... To uh, have me sold off..." Another pause. This time she didn't exactly snap out of it though, she just stared down at the water.

"The tank was the worst part. I don't care about the rest, I mean I'm alive now aren't I? So she didn't sell me to anyone too bad..." Well the pirates were pretty damn horrible, but she had her protection among them. "It was filled with some strange liquid, like water but... Not. I had a rebreather, but... She'd randomly come and shut it off to watch me struggle..." Her eyes were closed at this point, hands fidgeting their way into her pockets. "Suspended there, drowning... Right on the edge of the void... And then she'd force the air back into me before I could slip over the edge." Days and days and days... "Every day until the pirates arrived." That was another story all together, though.

"My old man never came for me, you know? Not once. I must've been in that tank for weeks, and he didn't even try... Knew where I was, knew who had done it. Went on to have other kids, though why my mama let him near her I don't know."

She chewed on that for a second, before her feet kicked back into action. She had to keep up before she lost Connor too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom