Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex Denied Nimscall Terraformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
1e185c909b698b091b7376c4f6f7dff3.jpg

OOC INFO

Intent: Provide the Bryn'adul with a fast-action terraformer for local weather alteration, making a predetermined area hospitable towards the Drael Species, allowing forward-base development and entrenchment on opposition worlds

​Image Credit: Pinterest

Canon: Nuh

Links:

GENERAL INFO

Name: Nimscall Terraformer

Designation: Semi-sentient

Origins: Draemidus Prime

Average Lifespan: 1 GSY

Estimated Population: Rare

Description: The Bryn'adul's prowess in Genetic Science sees no bounds. Tailoring the fundamentals of biology to suit their every need, the Nimscall Terraformer was a necessary creation as the Bryn'adul war-machine grew increasingly ambitious. A towering 4m gaseous creature, the Nimscall is deployed in vast groups from low-orbit. It's tough flesh bears reentry temperatures before burying itself tentacle-first in the ground of a Drael-hostile world. Its tentacles, formerly grouped together into a spike formation, branch out like roots and secure it in place. It's bulbous head - covered in thorn-like protrusions that suck the surrounding air in, begins to eject a gas similar, if not identical to the atmosphere on Draemidus Prime.

PHYSICAL INFO

Breathes: Type 1

Average Height of Adults: 4m

Average Length of Adults: 3.5m

Skin color: White/Red

Hair color: N/A

Distinctions:
  • Large, bulbous head often secreting/pumping out gas
  • Long red spines
  • Lack of any discernible facial features

Races: N/A

Force Sensitivity: Non-sensitive

Strengths:
  • Blaster Proof Flesh - Bred to withstand the stresses of reentry and super-sonic impacts, the Nimscall's flesh is nigh-impenetrable against most blaster fire
Terraformer - Used to give the Bryn'adul a familiar climate on such hostile worlds to them as Ice worlds

Weaknesses:
  • Immobile - Nothing more than a planted asset. The Nimscall cannot move once it's in the ground
Large Arms Fire - It's flesh is not impervious to artillery fire

CULTURE

Diet: Nimscall tentacles double as roots for absorbing proteins found in the ground

Communication: N/A

Technology level: N/A

Religion/Beliefs: N/A

General behavior: Nimscall Terraformers are bred for a single purpose. They are an asset rather than a living thing. After implanting themselves in the ground, they pump out thousands of tonnes of toxic gas over their lifetime before exhausting their local nutrient supply and withering away.

HISTORICAL INFO

As the Bryn'adul's ambition for conquest grows, so too does their arsenal. Devised by the Drael Scientist and Shaman Hrajlmak'Natok, the Nimscall Terraformer was considered the "Pocket Barricas" referring to the massive Barricas Terraformer. Terraformers are an essential asset to the Bryn'adul as many worlds do not support their unique biology. Many Drael have a serious aversion to the Cold, while others are threatened by Heat. To mitigate this problem when establishing bases on new worlds, Terraformers are employed. The Nimscall is especially useful as it is quickly deployed and can alter the local climate to something more akin to the Drael homeworld of Draemidus Prime in a month or less.

Good Morning [member="Hrajlmak'Natok"]

As per the rules of the pre-codex, which can be found here, submissions may remain in the pre-codex for 1 month while you work on them. Unfortunately this submission has been in the pre-codex for a little over that now.

Please could you let us know if you wish to keep working on this submission, or if you wish us to archive this submission for you.

[member="Hrajlmak'Natok"]

I will be archiving this submission for inactivity.

If you wish to have the submission pulled from the archives please contact a member of codex staff.

Thank you for your patience. This is a very interesting submission and its clear that this can add some very unique flavor to the Bryn'adul stories! I have just a few suggestions that I hope will make your idea clearer to the reader. If you'll permit me:

Hrajlmak'Natok said:
Canon: Nuh
In keeping with the template, please change this to N/A.

Hrajlmak'Natok said:
Origins: Draemidus Prime
Please provide a link for Draemidus Prime here.

Hrajlmak'Natok said:
Strengths:
  • Blaster Proof Flesh - Bred to withstand the stresses of reentry and super-sonic impacts, the Nimscall's flesh is nigh-impenetrable against most blaster fire
Weaknesses:
  • Large Arms Fire - It's flesh is not impervious to artillery fire
I think that this aspect of the submission could benefit from some clarity. Most artillery in the Star Wars universe takes the form of turbolasers and Wookieepedia notes that "A laser was a beam of focused energy operating under the same principles as blaster weaponry." So what are the left and the right limits of this strength and weakness? What level of blaster or laser would overcome the weakness, such as small arms versus heavy weapons emplacements?

On the artillery side, would a 5mm portable mortar be sufficient to harm this creature that survived both re-entry atmospheric friction and the impact of landing? Would it require something more substantial, such as a proton bomb?

To be clear, the reason that I'm asking is due to this rule: Species possessing extreme/unique powers, abilities, or attributes are advised to be balanced with suitable strengths and weaknesses. When creating your species consider actionable PvP related weaknesses to balance PvP related strengths. (Codex Standard Rules at "Species Creation Rules") The ability of this creature to withstand the rigors of atmospheric entry and landing is rather substantial, so its important to bear out that aspect of this submission.

Hrajlmak'Natok said:
Estimated Population: Rare
In the template, Rare is defined as "A few groups, often limited to a single world." Contrast the above with:

Hrajlmak'Natok said:
Description: The Bryn'adul's prowess in Genetic Science sees no bounds. Tailoring the fundamentals of biology to suit their every need, the Nimscall Terraformer was a necessary creation as the Bryn'adul war-machine grew increasingly ambitious. A towering 4m gaseous creature, the Nimscall is deployed in vast groups from low-orbit. It's tough flesh bears reentry temperatures before burying itself tentacle-first in the ground of a Drael-hostile world. Its tentacles, formerly grouped together into a spike formation, branch out like roots and secure it in place. It's bulbous head - covered in thorn-like protrusions that suck the surrounding air in, begins to eject a gas similar, if not identical to the atmosphere on Draemidus Prime.
As these are deployed in groups beyond their planet of origin, and assuming that the Bryn'adul would use these on multiple worlds, I would recommend increasing the population size to Scattered (Smaller groups or individuals found in many places around the galaxy), but that's just a suggestion.

Hrajlmak'Natok said:
Many Drael have a serious aversion to the Cold, while others are threatened by Heat. To mitigate this problem when establishing bases on new worlds, Terraformers are employed. The Nimscall is especially useful as it is quickly deployed and can alter the local climate to something more akin to the Drael homeworld of Draemidus Prime in a month or less
I think it is a little unclear just how this terraformer is intended to function. Does the gas that it generates act as a greenhouse effect and cause the temperature to rise? Does the gas affect the cloud coverage in the local area, reducing sunlight (and bringing the ambient temperature down as a result?) Does it alter the atmospheric composition to make the air more compatible to the Bryn'adul norm? Based on the above, it seems that this terraformer both increased the temperature (cold) as well as cools things down (heat), which seems a contradiction. Could you clarify that part?

Those are my thoughts, I look forward to yours in reply. Please tag me when you have had an opportunity to complete your edits.

Thank you for that note. Moved to Pre-Codex per your request.

Please tag [member="Srina Talon"], [member="John Locke"], myself or any member of Codex staff once you are ready for live judging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom