Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Night At The Den

Tags: Sab'Gisa Sab'Gisa

A Sunday night at the busy and bright lights of Coruscant, everyone out and about doing all kind of activities, be it going to Jazz Club, Racing, or even sight seeing. In the entertainment district of Coruscant, where there are a lot of clubs and shows, lies at the edge an old empty antique store. Inside the antique store, can be seen that it's filled old items from different eras, from paintings, statue, suitcase, and an old lightsaber hang on a frame on the wall. At the end of the store, there is a man sitting on a chair with a desk in front of him, as he listen to the radio whilst keeping a watch at the store. A female Mandalorian suddenly came inside the store, as she walks past all the store items not caring about it at all, and head towards the door at the end of the store. When she passes the man at the desk, he called her and said, "Main game's already started, so bossman said you gotta make due with the sides", to which she responded with a frown and exclaimed, "Dammit, I told Carter to hold off the game for me!". She then open the door as it was unlocked from the man she was talking to with a panel underneath the table, she then entered through the door whilst cursing due to the game being started without her.

Once she entered through the door, she was now at the back room, where another man who looks to be a guard was standing by, as he then went to a keypad and entered a keycode, which result a bookshelf on the left side to open and revealing a secret passage. The Mandalorian then entered the passage with moments later she arrived downstairs, where an armed man and a besalisk was guarding the passage below. One of the guards then said to her, "Heya Ms. Dove, a bit late to the game now aren't ya?" he said teasing her, to which she replied, "You better shut up before I give you another beating Neil!". It guard went silent as he was quite scared know full well she will do that, as the besalisk next to him laugh before he said, "Well anyway, there's an empty seat at table 3, quite deep pocket, the boss set it up for ya". The Mandalorian just sigh as she went outside the passage room and into the hallway, she heads towards the gambling area as he passed an office on her right with a plaque on the door which says Marcus Carter, Private Detective. Once she entered the gambling area, she shouted towards the middle of the room where all the seats are full as they are playing a game of sabacc, "Carter!".

Everyone on the area look but one person on the middle table where the main game is being played, the man was looking his cards ignoring the commotion. "Carter!, don't you dare ignore me!", She once again shouted, as the man who was looking at the cards finally look towards the Mandalorian as he said to her, "Well well, look who decided to finally show up", he chuckled before continuing to say, "If it isn't the famous Ava Dove". "How you've been girl, been awhile", the man who is revealed to be Marcus Carter, a private detective and also the owner of The Ruby's Den, "Saved you a seat and prepared a drink for ya", he laugh as he continue to play sabacc. The Mandalorian looking quite annoyed at Carter, before she just head towards the table she was told to go to by the guards before, as she then took a seat and grab her drink. "You better keep a seat for me on the main game next time Carter!" she once again shouted towards the middle table, as she then took another sip from her drink. Carter look to his side where the Mandalorian called Ava Dove is seated, as he smiled and again laugh, before he then reveal his card to the table his cards, 23, a pure Sabacc. This dismayed the other players on the table as Carter stood up and gather his winning from that game and said, "Too bad fellas, tonight is just not you're night to win", he then smirk and said, "Especially with me as one of the player tonight", he laugh as he raked in the winning he got.​

The monkey lizard crawled around Illah'Josa's shoulders and torso, glancing around with a regularly tilting head as he looked over everything. She didn't really seem to be paying much attention, only occasionally glancing around if there was an uproar but specifically avoiding running into people. She knew these kinds of places and she didn't feel like some sneak getting her credits. Then again, in a place like this, that kind of job was probably much more dangerous.

Neither of these was a real oddity at first. Twi'leks were common, but Illah was one of their rarer as a Lethan. And as a former slaver. While Sab'Gisa was not in fact a Kowakian, but an entirely new species. They were used to their species appearances but responded differently. Sab stepped into the mask, it wasn't hard to pretend to be a kowakian. Less intelligent and easily entertained. It was that easy. Illah forced her way, she took what she wanted. She might not be the top of the chain when it came to raw physical abilities, but that's why she was a pirate captain not some special forces soldier.

They'd already spent money on this, it better be worth it. Of course, they didn't doubt. He had no reason to refuse the information as far as they were aware, and his failure or refusal would more likely hurt his reputation and make enemies. Still, there was always that doubt. Her lekku moved subtly which Sab felt. The two had developed their own methods of communicating between each other, inspired somewhat by Ryl, but far enough off that it wouldn't be understood by those who knew it. Sab's were the harder part, either moving her lekku or using odd noises or movements. But with him on her shoulders it was mostly just more convenient to use her lekku the way she did.

[Still feel like a game?] she gestured.
[Why not? We'll already be there. So long as we get what we want.]
[Alright, we gonna trade turns or work together?]
[Let's play it together. Don't know how long we'll be here.]

The two entered the building and began heading to the back to see about entering.

Marcus Carter Marcus Carter

Carter now with plenty of credits from the Sabacc game but with less players on his table, as they are either broke or don't want to lose more money to Carter. Tonight game has not been exactly a top tier card game, as most of the usual patron are unavailable and not in the den, so Carter had to make due with mid table players. Though he does not mind easy money, he would rather have a challenge, especially with no one wanting to go up against Carter. Carter was already a notorious sabacc player, and his time playing at The Ruby's Den only increased his reputation. It hasn't been to long since he bought the den from the previous owner Acie, an old female Mirialan, who used to be a smuggler. He bought the place due to Acie wanting to sell it, and because Carter grew fond of this place, he didn't want anyone else to own the den, so he bought it as soon as he could. Once he owned the den, he made some adjustment to the den, by adding a bar, moving his office here, and adding more security to the place. Ever since he bought the den, he's been spending most of his time here, especially when he's not doing side jobs as a bounty hunter or a mercenary.

Moments later as he began counting his credits, he called one of his waitress, "Get me a drink will you sweetheart, the usual", he said to her with a smile and a small wink. Most of the workers and security at the den are new, and a few of them are personally hired by Carter. Like the den head of secuirty, a Dowutin, called Gronk, who he hired not too long ago during a job. Carter looked to his side where Ava Dove is still playing, which from what he can tell she had won a few round and earned some credits at that table. Carter had put her in that table with players with quite a hefty amount of credits as an apology for not getting her on the main game, and also so she doesn't try to beat the living crap out of Carter. Ava is quite an intimidating person and with her personality, it's best to keep her happy and not angry based on past experience Carter had with her.

"Here's your drink" the waitress said to Carter before laying his drink in front of him on the table.. "Thanks" Carter said to the waitress as when the waitress was about to go back to the bar, Carter stopped her and said, "Also, keep Ava Dove drink filled, put it on my tab". "Will do Mr. Carter", the waitress smile to which Carter also responded with a smile, as the waitress finally went away. Being an owner of a gambling den has a lot of perks, perks to which Carter has been enjoying, with him able to order people around and not have to lift a finger. He looked around the den, as there are a lot of player's in but not every table is full, especially his. Tonight game been going on for 5 hours, as there is still another 6 hours before they're done, and there should be more players still coming, is what Carter hoped.​

Last edited:
The two approached the man at the desk, where Illah would speak to giving the secret words. They were led off towards the real entrance, and Sab kept his eyes out for traps, especially behind them as she kept her eyes forwards. There was a level of comfort knowing that it was harder to catch you off guard when you had someone you could trust. Then they were lead down the secret passageway.

They were stopped by guards demanding to know how they were armed. She calmly showed the weapons, not removing it from their holsters. "Vibro-blade. FAS silver heat slugthrower pistol." She said simply. They didn't ask about armor, so she didn't tell them that much. Wasn't as big of an issue anyway, and it was an open market product, hardly something worth worrying about. They didn't take them from her, that was a bit of assurance for the two. If they were to get here in the future, the concern of violence was less worrying.

"Got a table?" She prompted. Seemed to be the case, they took them towards that of Marcus Carter Marcus Carter which as yet wasn't filled out. Sab jumped down and crawled under the table letting out a little chuckle. Actually checking for tricks while she looked to the man giving a nod, and taking out a pack of credits to set at her spot, "What's the game? Time to lose some money and some time."

Whether or not he found anything, Sab would pop his head up from the edge of the table and crawl along its edges until he hopped on top of Illah's head causing her to grunt slightly just from the impact but otherwise not react to him. He wasn't going to be too troublesome. Didn't want to end up getting kicked out or causing a fight, not right now.

Carter had just finished his drink and was planning to retire to his office, as it seems there won't be new players on the main game. But moments later a female figure was walking towards the table, and then took a seat. He looked at the Twi'lek before his gaze turn towards the small creature which came with her. Carter scratch his head, confused why there was a the small creature was here, some sort of pet perhaps?. She then asked what's the game, to which Carter replied as he cleared his throat, "Sabacc is the name of the game here in The Ruby's Den" before he then added "And those two things can definitely be done here".

Still curious and a bit worried about the small creature, Carter then point at it and said, "I'm guessing you bring the little fella everywhere?". The den never had any rules regarding animals being brought by the players, but that doesn't mean Carter enjoy seeing one, much less the smell of one. Carter then thought to himself if he should add a new rule regarding animals, at least have them put at stairs area and not have them roam around the den. Carter was quite worried if it will make a mess, especially a number 2, to which Carter then asked the Twi'lek, "Is it potty train?, cus I don't exactly want to see and smell something funky in the den, we already got the dowutin and besalisk doing that". Carter remarks sparked some protest from his dowutin and besalisk guard, as the besalik called Gronk said, "C'mon boss, we don't smell and we even shower frequently like you told us to", to which Carter replied to, "Just because you don't smell it, doesn't mean the rest of us too, add some perfume or something fellas". Gronk just shaked his head, as the besalisk next to him began to smell himself, trying to find out if he really smell.

"Well, anyway let's get the game started now shall we?"
, as he then signal the dealer on his table to start shuffling the cards. "You're the one playing right? and not your little friend over here", Carter smile as he joked a bit, "Though it would be interesting and quite funny to see it play also tho", he continued to add before laughing. Carter then called the waitress again to refill his drink, as he then said, "Want something to drink?", before he then added, "I'm not treating you for a drink just to be clear, I don't do charity work", he then laughed. The dealer then began to distribute the cards towards the players on the table, beginning the sabacc game.​

She nodded looking at the cards. Was always more of a fan of pazaak, but that was likely because those were just the cards she had. When Marcus Carter Marcus Carter pointed at Sab he stood up and pointed right back at him, responding "You take that big fella with you everywhere." in its higher pitched and fast tone. Illah looked up at him and raised an eyebrow before simply nodding. She looked at him as he asked his next question which Sab had laughed at while pointing at the Besalisk and dowutin, "Stink!"

Illah leaned back as him and the besalisk talked it out, "Guess you're not familiar, it's a kowakian monkey lizard, named him Sab'gisa Ningecro. Semi-sentient, very good at mimicking languages, even have a sense of humor...sort of. Making that kind of a mess would be the least of your concerns, but he'll behave." She explained before they were dealt their cards as the game got started, she chuckled about which of them was playing as Sab grabbed the cards out of her hands knowing full well he was holding them upside down, "Well I'm the one paying at least." she answered taking the cards back from him.

It was so much funnier to her knowing that he was sentient and still acting like an idiot, it was hard to imagine acting so out of character. She nodded as he asked about the drink, "Yeh, why not. If you've got any Jawa Juice that'd be great." She responded, "Aw, how rude, can't get a break can I? Next you'll tell me you won't let me win." She joked still pulling out some credits for the drink as she started looking over her cards.

"Got a nice place. Always nice to visit these kinds of places." She said looking at the cards and thinking them over, "Good for business, and a rest. So long as you're willing to risk losing. That, and there's nothing funnier than watching someone lose in a game of pazaak to a monkey. Clever enough for that at least."

"A monkey and a lizard?" Carter said whilst raising his eyebrow by her statement about it's species, as then added, "He does not look like either of those two things". He gave a quick look at Sab'Gisa Sab'Gisa , still in wonders and bemusement at how he looks and acted. Carter never had a pet nor does he have much interest on animals, other than the ones he met on his work, like when he confiscated an illegal animal being smuggle to Coruscant. The animals he come across with isn't exactly friendly, be it them quite hostile or just simply mischievous.

Once the cards were distributed by the dealer, Carter took a peek at them, before close them and looked at Illah. "I agree, having a place is very good when you have business in the area", Carter had done a few business outside of Coruscant where he had to stay there for awhile, it was quite a hassle when you don't have a nice place to sleep and shower, two of Carter priorities in life ."Coruscant is indeed a good place for business...." he said as he then stopped speaking for a bit, before adding, "That is if you have the right connection and info, just like anywhere else in the galaxy". The den is a great place to make new contact or gain an info, with the variety of players that come to play, even Jedi and Military's officer come here and they won't even be a problem.

"Losing at gambling just isn't in my MO, especially how I've been playing tonight", Carter said in a confident manner since for him gambling is his life and skills, something that he never had any bump roads doing so. Though he does find the thought of him playing against a monkey to be quite intriguing, as it would be quite an experience be it bad or good. He'll play with anyone or anything, as long as they don't cheat, if so they're gonna have a problem with Carter. Carter then asked her, "So you two here just for the game or are you looking for something else?", as he attempt to not only make conversation but all learn more about the two.​

Illah stared at him for a moment at his response then to Sab, then back at Marcus Carter Marcus Carter , "You don't go to the outer rim much do you?" it wasn't even said in a mocking way, not that she wouldn't have done it, it was just recognition of the kind of person he might be. She was used to at least having seen a Kowakian Monkey Lizard. Sure they weren't that common of a pet, but chances are if you traveled you'd run into someone who had one. Even if only on a plate.

She let out a hum in response to him calling coruscant a good place for business,
"Well it fits that first portion for sure. Busy. Maybe a little too much for me." Sab looked at Marcus and made a honking gesture along with a rather good accompanying mimicry of its sound in reference to the traffic before laughing at it. However her face definitely showed agreement as he mentioned the need for contact, "Now that is one thing that Coruscant does seem quite good at. So many people in the core world, you're bound to have useful ones. No matter your style of living."

Sab crawled around on Illah's head and shoulders as she looked over the cards she had thinking them over while still listening to Marcus, "I'd be more confident myself if it was pazaak." She said biting her lip in thought before his last comment. A push from Sab at her hand and she grunted choosing to indeed put in her bet before responding, "Oh yeah, did I even introduce myself? The names Illah'Josa. I'm here for information. Supposedly someone knows how to get what I want."

She realized she was probably talking to him since one of the people literally called him boss, but there was really no certainty with that. Meanwhile Sab stared aimlessly at the table. He wasn't quite sure if there was anything for him to do at the moment. Nothing interesting to latch onto or make yet another stupid taunt or repetition at. Wasn't too bad, but he needed to maintain that image. Then again, he could just pretend to be tired. Nothing wrong with that.

"I only go there for business a few times, so I don't exactly have time to look at the faunas" Carter replied to Illah question whether or not he had visited the outer rim frequently with a small laugh, "Credits are the thing that interest me, nothing more". Carter rack if he had ever seen an faunas when he was at the outer rim, maybe he had but he doesn't remember, "Nah can't think of any creatures I've seen there", he said to her.
"Pazaak are fun but I don't limit myself to one game" Carter stated to her after she said about her being more confident at pazaak before continuing to add, "Be it cards, craps, slots, racing, as long as it gambling I'll do em all, more fun that way". "Though one thing I always wanted to try gambling with is gladiator pits, though I never tried cus I have a particular big hairy friend who would rip my arms out of my socket if he founds out I went to one, let alone gamble", Carter said with shiver running through his whole body just thinking about if that were to happen as he kinda like his arm, well still attached.

Moments later, she then began introducing her self as Illah'Josa and she's here for information. Carter then introduce himself also, "Private Detective Marcus Carter, gambling enthusiast and owner of this lovely place, The Ruby's Den", Carter said as he then hold his free hands to the side and bowed a bit for a bit of flair. Even when you're in a game or tensed situation, you can always add a bit of flair when introducing himself, as showy first impression will be more memorable.

"If it's information you seek, you come to the right place", Carter said to her before changing his gaze to his surrounding, "Got all kinds of clientele coming in here every few night from across the galaxy with different background, so every information goes through here at the tables", he said with a smile. Even without the den, Carter know a lot of people to be able to hear anything that's happening at Coruscant easily.​

Last edited:
She shrugged as he explained his situation and how he'd not really paid any attention to the animals. Sab understood that, it was part of why it was so easy to get away with. He looked just like the species he was mimicking, and so the tiniest of oddities was not nearly enough for someone to pinpoint that he wasn't the real thing. He had everything they had, and more, and so what in-discrepancies there were could easily be overlooked.

Illah looked over as he mentioned he avoided gladiator pits, at first simply in thought of not to bring up that kind of a situation. But then as he explained why, she set it aside. Sab looked at the cards thoroughly as they talked. Internally, gritting his teeth. Things could go either way. But they really needed negative cards, or a very low card. They were at 18 already. Go to far, and they'd lose. On the other hand, if they did get a negative card, and then a second after that, they'd end up too far away to reasonable win. And if they did nothing, well, "I wouldn't want to anger that kind of a friend either." she admitted as Sab pointed to the deck, "Pull, pull, pull." he repeated, she nodded to say she was going to draw a card this round. It was a risk, but here was a lot of leeway between 18 and 23. And thus a lot of room for failure.

It was a -8. Down to 10. Not ideal. Neither Illah nor Sab reacted to it as they waited for any other moves to be made until the next round. As Marcus bowed, Sab stood up straight on Illah's head and bowed back cackling,
"You're highness Ruby!" in spite of how rude it might sound, if there was 'training' to be noticed. It was how it was not done so loud to attract everyones attention. Anyone at the table would certainly hear it clearly however.

Illah just smiled at him, "And a Ruby it is. Best hope we aren't jewel thief's." she joked, these kind of establishments were not always safe from someone just a little too good at betting, or a little too bad. They needed some good cards. However many rounds were left. He confirmed that he did indeed have information. Good, at least they didn't come here just to lose some money.

"Well then we came to the right place. But is it safe to even ask what information we're after at the tables? I mean, I'm sure you trust your dealers. But other than that..." She didn't know his place as well as he did, she knew that. She didn't know how much could be heard from just another table or if he didn't like people listening. So she left it up to him what measures he wanted to take.

Marcus Carter Marcus Carter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom