Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Next Characters

So currently I have this one character - Ryala Serona, and of course I'm going to make some equipment for her after a few threads building her up, but I have put a checkpoint on me that after about.. 100-120 messages, or a decent amount more of 'Play-time' under this character with a few threads, I'd wanna, of course, start a few new characters. That being said, the main question rises.. whats next? So I just wanted to open this up, see if anyone has any advice and maybe go back and forth on discussing and developing. Of course I'd probably wanna make 2-3 new characters, but most likely two as thats a safe number, not too big but not too little.

So here are a few ideas that I had

1. Scientist: One that was originally a biologist but, after some sort of epiphany or exposure has begun studying the force as a whole - going out to dangerous worlds to explore ruins, see the force for what it is.. and explain it through science. Of course, all this while not being force sensitive themselves.
  2. Force User?: Alot of different ideas, maybe just someone naturally gifted in the force - never brought in to any order.. and well ended up being a smuggler or something. Or have them be a Jedi or a Sith or any classic force user, its kinda limitless on that end.
  3. Royal: Some sort of Queen of some custom planet, this one would take alot of development but, I think this one could be a fun one if done right. Maybe shes force sensitive maybe its Maybelline, either way I think this plot has alot of potential.
  4. Corporate Owner: Pretty self explanatory, this character will own some sort of company, shipping, ship creation, weapon manufacturing.. whatever. I think this one could be fun as it would have me in the factory which seems like fun.
  5. Musician: Somewhat of a different one that I had on my mind for a moment, I like the idea of this character alot - maybe a pacifist who often just travels around the galaxy wanting to share her music, play at gigs, a somewhat wholesome star wars tale.
Regardless, I'd just love to hear any input on these ideas and well, what would be best even though that's a very vague open question.

I love all your ideas!

From those options, the Force User route is likely the easiest if you want to grow a long-term story. Mostly because a lot of people write classic vibes such as Jedi and Sith, so it's easier to find RP that way.

But, of course, it's not necessarily the case and depends a lot on creativity and the initiative you take :)

The Royal angle can also be fun if you're interested in more political RP. Some factions have quite a bit of it that you could get involved in.

But honestly, I like all your options. A musician might be the trickier one to write of all those options, but can be really fun in social threads at the same time!

I love all your ideas!

From those options, the Force User route is likely the easiest if you want to grow a long-term story. Mostly because a lot of people write classic vibes such as Jedi and Sith, so it's easier to find RP that way.

But, of course, it's not necessarily the case and depends a lot on creativity and the initiative you take :)

The Royal angle can also be fun if you're interested in more political RP. Some factions have quite a bit of it that you could get involved in.

But honestly, I like all your options. A musician might be the trickier one to write of all those options, but can be really fun in social threads at the same time!

Most likely I'll be making a force sensitive the question more comes with what route I'm going to take them, as well.. thats the hardest part to pick, to be sith or jedi.. or whatever is in between.

And I have to say after what you said I'm defiantly leaning towards the royal as the political rp is always something that seems like a lot of fun. Along with that, I did think about that when I thought about the musician, it defiantly seemed like the hardest to be.

Regardless, Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it alot! :)

Most likely I'll be making a force sensitive the question more comes with what route I'm going to take them, as well.. thats the hardest part to pick, to be sith or jedi.. or whatever is in between.

And I have to say after what you said I'm defiantly leaning towards the royal as the political rp is always something that seems like a lot of fun. Along with that, I did think about that when I thought about the musician, it defiantly seemed like the hardest to be.

Regardless, Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it alot! :)
Of course!

If you're not certain about direction for your FU, you could always start with them being out there on their own. Let the stories shape the character's direction :D

If you end up wanting to explore the Jedi side of things or have questions about it, you can always give me a poke~

Of course!

If you're not certain about direction for your FU, you could always start with them being out there on their own. Let the stories shape the character's direction :D

If you end up wanting to explore the Jedi side of things or have questions about it, you can always give me a poke~

Will do! I'm leaning more light side as well I feel I can write that angle better but who knows, Time will tell as they say. Either way thank you and I'll defiantly shoot a message if I commit to 'leaning to the light'!

Looking over your ideas I would suggest taking a step back from character ideas and thinking about which of these you can see yourself writing a consistent series of posts/threads with, that wouldn't require you to coax someone into a very specific set of circumstances in order to write with you/them. (assuming your goal is to write something long term, there's nothing wrong with one-off characters to be completely clear)

For any of them that make it at least that far then I'd consider which ones look the most fun/interesting to you. Nothing I or anyone else is going to say or have an opinion on will effect how much you enjoy writing a particular character idea, and you will be the one writing them so you might as well enjoy them.

I personally don't approach creating characters in the way you're looking at this (i.e; occupation/trope as the basis of the character), so I am not really going to be the best person on providing feedback for your actual character concept planning, but any of these traits look roughly as workable as the rest as long as you can be creative with making use of them (though I've admittedly had characters whose entire careers were off-screen and only served as background text).

I would also consider looking into finding groups of people to write with, at least at first, to provide yourself with a steady stream of content to engage yourself with so you don't find yourself with nothing to do - or, worse, starting public threads that don't get as much engagement as you might initially expect or hope for on the first or second try.

Looking over your ideas I would suggest taking a step back from character ideas and thinking about which of these you can see yourself writing a consistent series of posts/threads with, that wouldn't require you to coax someone into a very specific set of circumstances in order to write with you/them. (assuming your goal is to write something long term, there's nothing wrong with one-off characters to be completely clear)

For any of them that make it at least that far then I'd consider which ones look the most fun/interesting to you. Nothing I or anyone else is going to say or have an opinion on will effect how much you enjoy writing a particular character idea, and you will be the one writing them so you might as well enjoy them.

I personally don't approach creating characters in the way you're looking at this (i.e; occupation/trope as the basis of the character), so I am not really going to be the best person on providing feedback for your actual character concept planning, but any of these traits look roughly as workable as the rest as long as you can be creative with making use of them (though I've admittedly had characters whose entire careers were off-screen and only served as background text).

I would also consider looking into finding groups of people to write with, at least at first, to provide yourself with a steady stream of content to engage yourself with so you don't find yourself with nothing to do - or, worse, starting public threads that don't get as much engagement as you might initially expect or hope for on the first or second try.

I actually haven't thought it of it like that so I want you to know I really do appreciate this insight. I do most of all want to create something that is well, fun for me to tell a story for. Moreover, I defiantly do then need to take a look more into what the substance would be more for these characters so I do appreciate that, it defiantly helps in more of how I'll go about each character.

Also - do you have any advice in the 'finding groups' sense as I'm fine just shooting messages, but did you mean more in a faction sense? If so - do you have any advice in that department?

Thank you as well, I really do appreciate this take because now that I look at it I was looking at it in somewhat of a '2D' sense, or linear in a way when I need to be figuring the character more as a dynamic thing.

R Ryala Serona
LFG threads/interest checks are a good starting point, but any character that you could reasonably see being involved in galaxy - or even just individual planets - spanning events may benefit from involvement in a faction of some degree (minor or major, though major factions may be a safe bet if you're looking for conflict).

Pros of lfg/interest checks:
  • Wider net to possibly capture more attention with if your idea for a thread or project/storyline or character is really interesting
  • It's viewable on the forum and very few people make use of these sorts of threads because they over-rely on factions or writing private threads with people they already know.
  • You can gauge how well your idea might be based on what sort of responses you get
Cons of lfg/interest check threads:
  • Not a guarantee that people will actually respond, even if you have a really good idea, because people are a little spoiled by guaranteed faction involvement (unless their faction is dead in activity, but even that still nets you people within that faction who will otherwise be willing to do private threads or something of the sort in lieu of a real faction thread).
  • People don't make use of it for a reason: depending on the time of day you may get pushed down in "recently posted threads" by dozens of new private/public/faction/etc threads being posted, so you may have to wait a few days for people to actually indicate they are interested in whatever you have planned.
  • It's on the forum so you may post your thread at 2pm and then get a response at 8 pm, miss it, and respond to some question someone might have at like 3pm the next day - using discord could eliminate most of those gaps by at least providing an avenue for instant communication, which all factions make use of.
Depending on the kind of story you're going to be writing with your character you may find more success with a faction (to be completely honest a faction is the safest bet for activity in 99% of cases unless you already know other writers that have the time to spare to add threads with your new characters); don't be too worried about whatever the faction itself might be doing just use the faction as a way to network with other writers and do whatever it is you want to do with them, basically the same thing you'd do with a thread like this (which is typically posted as an interest check or feedback).

Ideally what you'll be looking for, whether or not you join a faction or use LFG threads (or both, and I suggest both), is individual writers you can rely on to write with you on a consistent enough basis for you to feel like the new character is worth your time, at least from my point of view. I don't really have any suggestions on where to look, in regards of which factions to join, as it will depend on what you want out of your characters (and I'm sure that if you post a LFG thread and even hint at wanting suggestions for a faction to be involved with those faction reps will be on you like white on rice), just that a faction, in general, is a safe bet for activity.

R Ryala Serona
LFG threads/interest checks are a good starting point, but any character that you could reasonably see being involved in galaxy - or even just individual planets - spanning events may benefit from involvement in a faction of some degree (minor or major, though major factions may be a safe bet if you're looking for conflict).

Pros of lfg/interest checks:
  • Wider net to possibly capture more attention with if your idea for a thread or project/storyline or character is really interesting
  • It's viewable on the forum and very few people make use of these sorts of threads because they over-rely on factions or writing private threads with people they already know.
  • You can gauge how well your idea might be based on what sort of responses you get
Cons of lfg/interest check threads:
  • Not a guarantee that people will actually respond, even if you have a really good idea, because people are a little spoiled by guaranteed faction involvement (unless their faction is dead in activity, but even that still nets you people within that faction who will otherwise be willing to do private threads or something of the sort in lieu of a real faction thread).
  • People don't make use of it for a reason: depending on the time of day you may get pushed down in "recently posted threads" by dozens of new private/public/faction/etc threads being posted, so you may have to wait a few days for people to actually indicate they are interested in whatever you have planned.
  • It's on the forum so you may post your thread at 2pm and then get a response at 8 pm, miss it, and respond to some question someone might have at like 3pm the next day - using discord could eliminate most of those gaps by at least providing an avenue for instant communication, which all factions make use of.
Depending on the kind of story you're going to be writing with your character you may find more success with a faction (to be completely honest a faction is the safest bet for activity in 99% of cases unless you already know other writers that have the time to spare to add threads with your new characters); don't be too worried about whatever the faction itself might be doing just use the faction as a way to network with other writers and do whatever it is you want to do with them, basically the same thing you'd do with a thread like this (which is typically posted as an interest check or feedback).

Ideally what you'll be looking for, whether or not you join a faction or use LFG threads (or both, and I suggest both), is individual writers you can rely on to write with you on a consistent enough basis for you to feel like the new character is worth your time, at least from my point of view. I don't really have any suggestions on where to look, in regards of which factions to join, as it will depend on what you want out of your characters (and I'm sure that if you post a LFG thread and even hint at wanting suggestions for a faction to be involved with those faction reps will be on you like white on rice), just that a faction, in general, is a safe bet for activity.

First off - I'll probably send a Lfg/interest check once the new character is made, I don't see any harm in putting one out there since well - it could be the easier way of reaching a larger audience. And I'll probably do the same on the discord, or at least go through that avenue as the direct messaging aspect defiantly has to be a promising and well, beneficial aspect.

Then, when it comes to factions - I have noticed before with the recruitment when you said 'hint at wanting suggestions' - I have seen it before, so I'll keep that as an option for when that time comes depending on if I want to go down the faction path with a character. Regardless, in that sense then I'll probably plan more on how I want to proceed.

Thank you again, I do really really appreciate the advice regarding this as in all honesty the biggest thing I'm lost with has to be the faction system but, I think you cleared up more of my basic problems in terms of that. So, once again thank you - the advice means alot! - If I could super like or love I would.

Could blend one of those in with sentient droid. Class 1 or 2 would work for the scientist.
If you wanna go FU, RTL has the newly formed Rimward Jedi Coalition, the Jensaarai, and some Wardens.
I'll keep that in mind for the force user, the more I know about force factions the better so thank you!

Also, a droid scientist making droids.. Actually am really keen on that idea, sounds like fun.

All ideas have merit. Everyone has their own preferences. I tend to approach things from the standpoint of what story I wanna write and tailor stuff like occupation and such accordingly, though how much of an outline I have varies heavily. I'd point out that there's nothing stopping you from combining ideas. People are, after all, not defined by one trait. Plus they evolve as time goes by, often in unexpected directions. A noble from a remote world might be a Force-User outside of the Jedi-Sith dichotomy, for example, as you suggested. A scientist trying to study the Force from the perspective of science and technology might run or be affiliated with a business to fund their ventures. Maybe the royal/noble is also into science.

What's important is not to limit yourself to one trope. This applies in particular to niche characters. To use an example, if you write an admiral or military starship commander, it's best to have avenues for interaction outside of fleet battles...since otherwise you're kinda limited to writing in invasions, and that's assuming they have a space element.

Same with a politician or corpo. I wrote a corporate character for a long time on the board, but gave her a lot more to do than just business rp since having thread after thread where you just advertise your wares gets stale.

I can't offer any recommendations for factions since 1. I don't write any faction-affiliated characters (this is not a recommendation against joining one, they are very good for networking and finding people to write with, I'm just not much of a faction person, though I hop into invasions and such when I believe it suits the character) and 2. the faction system is presently in a state of flux since several long-time factions lost their position on the map. I don't know what their plans are now that they're minors. At the moment there's three major factions that are on the map and thus able to actively influence it. Doubtless new ones will arise in time.

Last edited:
All ideas have merit. Everyone has their own preferences. I tend to approach things from the standpoint of what story I wanna write and tailor stuff like occupation and such accordingly, though how much of an outline I have varies heavily. I'd point out that there's nothing stopping you from combining ideas. People are, after all, not defined by one trait. Plus they evolve as time goes by, often in unexpected directions. A noble from a remote world might be a Force-User outside of the Jedi-Sith dichotomy, for example, as you suggested. A scientist trying to study the Force from the perspective of science and technology might run or be affiliated with a business to fund their ventures. Maybe the royal/noble is also into science.

What's important is not to limit yourself to one trope. This applies in particular to niche characters. To use an example, if you write an admiral or military starship commander, it's best to have avenues for interaction outside of fleet battles...since otherwise you're kinda limited to writing in invasions, and that's assuming they have a space element.

Same with a politician or corpo. I wrote a corporate character for a long time on the board but gave her a lot more to do than just business rp since having thread after thread where you just advertise your wares gets stale.

I can't offer any recommendations for factions since 1. I don't write any faction-affiliated characters (this is not a recommendation against joining one, they are very good for networking and finding people to write with, I'm just not much of a faction person, though I hop into invasions and such when I believe it suits the character) and 2. the faction system is presently in a state of flux since several long-time factions lost their position on the map. I don't know what their plans are now that they're minors. At the moment there's three major factions that are on the map that are able to actively influence it. Doubtless new ones will arise in time.

Personally, I think that's what I'm going to go with going into the future. If I go with the force user path, I'll most likely have them start out neutral, maybe a smuggler who realized slightly what they could do - and over time have them expand into one side or the other.

And yeah - the thought of the business character seems like fun but I defiantly wanna preplan maybe some 'extra' plot elements for what they are ambitious for, or hell, other elements of their life to further their economic and personal ambition.

And sounds good then, I defiantly want to try a faction one of my characters, but Its defiantly not something I have as a focus for all my characters since I have liked the route of being neutral.

Personally, I think that's what I'm going to go with going into the future. If I go with the force user path, I'll most likely have them start out neutral, maybe a smuggler who realized slightly what they could do - and over time have them expand into one side or the other.

Ironically, that's similar to how Elpsis' story started.

Trained as a Jedi, but ran away as a kid due to some traumatic events involving her family history. Became a ganger/smuggler/itinerant mercenary and was largely neutral, then various shenanigans ensued to get her where she is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom