Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rating Systum

Should StarWars Chaos adopt a different more clear rating system?

• Total voters

Kitty

The Attention Seeker
Why do we need a new system?

• Most on-line rpgs use the Motion Picture Association of America's rating guide (PG, PG-13, R, etc) because it is familiar. However, this system is limited and was not designed for our emerging multi-media, interactive genre of written role-play.

• The MPAA system is deliberately vague and is difficult to interpret consistently. PG-13 (the most frequently used rating) has such a diverse interpretation, it begins to lose its meaning and limitations.

• In creating a system that meets the needs of our community, we can communicate with each other more freely. We can define ourselves what issues are important.
http://www.rpgrating.com/about.html

The rating by PG-13 is however the staff sees it, not however a PG-13 movie that had *gasp* intercourse in it. If the staff feel you aren't acting within a PG-13 environment (really more Pg in my own perspective) you will be told. It doesn't matter that the last movie you saw had some extensive on-screen woohoos or something, not saying that is what this is about, but you are expected to be mindful that kids are here and you should be writing in a way that one would expect to not cause issues for them and the board. (Such as having an angry mother send an email about suing the board for illicit behavior in PMs or RPs)

Kitty

The Attention Seeker
Aye but if the members knew more clearly what the staff imagined that pg-13 to be it would be easier on everyone, staff included. You could avoid some situations in which the staff have to intervene and more importantly let the members feel safer in what they write better knowing what is out of bounds.
[member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"]

Raiz

Self-Imposed Exiled
Australia doesn't have PG-13 so it has confused me now and then, though I just assume it to be the same as the M rating because we have one above that which is MA15+, which I would actually think the site should be more like but I don't fret about it honestly.

Whether this will be more helpful or not, I would say not, since PG-13 gives you an idea of the age level that you may be writing to at any given moment whereas the rating system there, you only see numbers and letters, sure some of us may know what it means but those of us who don't will need to look it up and check it.

Leaving it as it is, as I've said, explicitly tells you that you may be writing to a 13 year old and that you should write accordingly.

1. Fade to black before you pull your dick out.

2. Keep the weird sex to yourself and off the board.

3. Don't get overly graphic with the violence, this is Star Wars. Literally the worse thing to happen in the movies was Anakin on the side of the volcano all hobbled and screaming while on fire.

Do I wish we could do more? I'm 27. I love Rated R settings and I want to make a Rated R setting. But there are kids here, and I'm adult enough to accept that situation for what it is.

Kitty

The Attention Seeker
My intention was certainly never to suggest allowing more. That pretty much makes it pretty darn clear though, thank you [member="Tefka"]. I am also an adult who own my own site, which is occupied by a majority of 13-15 year olds. The rules there are even more restrictive violence, sex, and language wise, so I totally understand.

Bunker-level Normal
It's always going to be up to the admins to enforce something, no matter what the system is. I hear that you want to make it more obvious, but there's also power in the ambiguity. Admins can't possibly read everything on the board, so if there's something that someone thinks is violating the rules, they should report it. The more clear the rules are, the less gets reported, and while that may seem like a good idea for workload it also means there are going to be more infringing posts that fall through the cracks.

Just make sure you're not trying to bypass our PG-13 rules by keeping it in private PM's. When I said off the board, I meant off the board.

Had a mom hit me up because her kid was being gross in PMs with another person (an adult). It's gross to me, it was gross to her, and there is no apology, nothing you can say that will stay the hand of justice and foot of 'murica when it comes to resolving that situation.

Private PM's are only private until you violate a rule. I can and will give the authority or take the authority to investigate private messages on this forum if the situation requires it. That's something not a lot of people understand.

Be careful what you post on the internet. Nothing is ever truly private, no matter where you go.

Raiz

Self-Imposed Exiled
[member="Tefka"]

This may be a random out of the blue question but where is the site based? I take it from your comment that it is based in the US, but thought it best to ask instead of make assumptions.

Alkah'Kahtel said:
This may be a random out of the blue question but where is the site based? I take it from your comment that it is based in the US, but thought it best to ask instead of make assumptions.
Note: I'm not saying you are going down this line of reasoning, but some others might, but the First and Fourth Amendments do not apply to the internet. They also only apply to governmental bodies, of which SWChaos is not. Tef (and agents appointed by him) are free to censor and unreasonably search and seize as much as they want; they're not restricted by the US Constitution, assuming the site is even based in the US.

Tefka said:
3. Don't get overly graphic with the violence, this is Star Wars. Literally the worse thing to happen in the movies was Anakin on the side of the volcano all hobbled and screaming while on fire.
When you really think about it, that's pretty gruesome.

Raiz

Self-Imposed Exiled
[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

I understand that you didn't insinuate that was my line of reasoning, which it isn't. You did make a very good point.

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Quietus"]

oh-my-takei_zps45fbdc2c.gif

I feel that this is unnecessary. It's pretty clear of how you should act around 13 year olds, and if it's not, staff is going to TELL you how to act around 13 year olds.

There are so few offenders of this rule, there is no need to change it.

Now, if there was a sudden wave of misunderstandings of the rule, like a hundred different people started making gore-filled cussing orgy threads because they misunderstood their boundaries some how... then, that might prompt the need for change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom