Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Commander of Republic Forces (Republic Senate Discussion)

The Supreme Chancellor stood before his colleagues.

"[member="Ali Hadrix"] has been removed from her position as Commander of the Republic Forces, and will be tried in absentia for the crimes she has been accused of. This is not the time to discuss her innocence or guilt. We are gathered here to discuss who should replace her. The floor is now open to discussion."

Martika Varta

Senator, Umbara; Committee on Civics & Infrastruct
Martika listened to the Chancellor's rather succinct announcement, but the mention of an in absentia proceeding conflicted with the information he'd last been provided. Keying his mic, Martika waited for the chime that announced he had the floor, then stood and looked across the gap to the central podium to the Supreme Chancellor.
"It was my understanding we would be trying Commander Hadrix in person, has that changed?" Martika looked around the chamber, "Has any attempt been made to bring her into Republic custody?" Martika emphasized Republic intentionally knowing no attempt had been yet made by official Republic channels, but was aware that members of the Jedi Order and the Republic's enemies of Mandalore had. It concerned him that Hadrix was not yet in custody, though he hardly expected her to turn herself in out of good faith after the Jedi had been found to be working with the Mandalorians. "Have we even contacted the Commander since her departure from the Roche System?"

[member=Jack Sparrow]

Politics were a game Keira didn't often find herself playing, and with good reason. She was far too blunt and straightforward, lacking the tact that was a requirement to survive in that sort of environment, or at least remain within good graces. It was better to leave that particular facet of the galaxy to those far better versed. War was far easier to understand than what she often perceived as nothing more than the bickering of Senators. This time, however, the matters of the Senate pertained directly to those on the battlefield, and it was something she felt obligated to partake in on some front. That could be chalked up to her reasoning behind currently standing among those politicians in the Senate chamber, clad in her dress uniform.

At first she had been visibly uncomfortable, but as the proceedings had continued she merely watched and waited until [member="Jack Sparrow"] announced things were to begin. Only when issues were brought up that she retained some knowledge in did she deign to speak, and what [member="Geral Varta"] put forth was just that. Thumbing the button that would allow her to speak, she waited until the small chime sounded before she pushed herself to her feet, a warrior among politicians. "I spoke with Ali Hadrix personally after Roche. My men and I were taking some brief RnR on Cartao when she arrived. She expressed deep regret for what had happened and stated that she wasn't at fault. But none of us are here to argue that. I can't tell you what her next destination is, but I imagine she'll be avoiding all of us for the foreseeable future."

Taking a deep breath she released it slowly, the decision she had made over the course of the past few weeks far more difficult than anything on the battlefield had ever been. It still wracked her nerves to so much as consider it, but she had come to a conclusion and an agreement with herself, and that was all that mattered. "I would like to nominate myself for Supreme Commander of the Republic's Armed Forces." They were words not easily spoken, but she meant them with a conviction evident in stance and tone of voice. "I've trained with, fought with, lived among and led an army comprised of millions of men and women for these past months, and I've glimpsed into the mind of a soldier because I am one myself.

"I don't really have any grand speech as to why I'm the best choice, but I do know I want to see this Republic rise up from the ashes to become great again. I want what's best for the men and women that serve, because I've been on every battlefield with them and seen the horrors they've suffered for myself. They deserve only the best, and I want to be sure they get it."

[member="Commander Lusk"]

Geral Varta said:
"Have we even contacted the Commander since her departure from the Roche System?"
"Haven't we?" asked Jack, honestly perplexed. "Rather thought we had, to be honest. Hmm. Well then. Take a memo, open a channel, and pass a note: [member="Ali Hadrix"], this is Supreme Chancellor Jack Sparrow. Hello. How are you? In light of recent events, the Republic respectfully requests you turn yourself in to stand trial for crimes against the Republic, murder, sedition, and whatever else it is that people have accused you of. If you could see your way clear to just popping back for a bit, we'd all be very grateful. Bring a lawyer. You have...three days. Thank you, kind regards, and et cetera."

Jack spread his arms. "There. All above board. Now, on with the other matter."

He listened to [member="Keira Ticon"], stroking his beard in thought. "Well, your heart's in the right place, and no mistake," said Jack. "I will gladly add your name to the list, which currently consists of..." he checked a datapad. "You. So. I guess you're the front-runner, eh?"

[member="Geral Varta"]

[member="Jack Sparrow"] [member="Keira Ticon"] [member="Geral Varta"]

Khyros indicated that he wished to speak, then waited for his screen to show he was being broadcast.

"Chancellor Sparrow, we have two admirals in our Navy who I think would do well in the position of Commander. I nominate [member="gir quee"] and [member="reshmar"] to be considered for the position." He didn't know Keira personally, but with the recentness of the Lasedri debacle, and Keira's public executions, Khyros wasn't sure the Republic could survive the backlash if she was selected. However, if she was selected, Khyros was the type of person to do his best to ensure she succeeded. The Republic meant too much to the Galaxy at large, he wouldn't actively seek her downfall.

For all this talk of contacting Hadrix, she didn't understand the difficulty in the former commander getting in touch with the Senate, Intelligence Ministry, or the Chancellery. All their offices were only a holo-call away. She should have always been in contact with her superiors in the first place. Fortunately, Sparrow had laid the issue to rest, officially calling for Hadrix to turn herself into custody in case the call hadn't already been made.

So far, the only candidate in the running was
Ticon, who had nominated herself. A controversial choice to say the least, because of her association with Lasedri. Suravi understood that the issue wasn't so cut and dry about said association, but she was afraid the nomination of Ticon would cause more friction between the Republic, Jedi, and Galactic Alliance. With relations still shaky with the Mandalorians, she currently considered the GA their best ally.

She had come to the gathering, hoping that a suitable candidate would arise, but as none had yet, she decided to rise and throw her name into the running:

"I nominate myself for the position of Supreme Commander. Our military institutions and intelligence services require a level of reform that I believe is beyond the scope of our current cadre of officers. It will take more than a soldier to see through the changes required in our reorganization and the very way we conduct war. I also think it would go a long way
to improve the image of the Republic and its military by having a fresh face at the helm. It would show our people and allies that we are serious about changing for the better."

"Prior to my current tenure as Senator, I was the President of the Kiribian Systems Union, in command of the Kiribian Armed Forces. Outside the military of the Galactic Republic,
Kiribi maintains one of the largest forces in the quadrant, currently operating as far out as Wild Space in support of Kiribian and Republic interests. Before my service in public office, I served as a combat medic and commander during the dark ages, when the halls of the Senate and Jedi Temple of Coruscant were empty, and the old Galactic Alliance that proceeded the current Republic was nothing but a distant memory. While we now fight for the preservation of the Republic, I was fighting to build it. Many within and outside of the Republic are ready to count us out, but I know what rock bottom looks like, and we're far from the point of no return."

While still possessing a youthful appearance, Suravi was pushing 300. Not that unusual for wealthy Kiribians, who had access to bleeding edge rejuvenation technologies. Even people of the middle class easily passed 150 these days. Such was the state of Kiribian biotechnology.

"I believe my experiences has given me some knowledge in all areas of warfare beyond commanding. Diplomacy, history, science, strategy, organization, logistics, acquisition, etc. However, I recognize my shortcomings, so I will forever remain a student. The experiences of our soldiers and allies in the field should never be overlooked, and I will call upon all of them to improve myself as Supreme Commander."

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

Alexander smiled as he stood waiting, his eyes staring over those assembled yet still his head was lowered a bit in shame. He was here for one reason, after the clearance and his purpose was made clear. Eshan had left the Republic but he did not wish for this to be the end of his service to the people of the Republic. Until he was certain that things would either fall apart or not he would do what ever he could. And his eyes drew their focus on the position that had been left vacant in the absence of the woman who had disappeared from the Republic and was to stand trial.

With his eyes on it he had waited, listened, and now stood alone without the world he came from behind him as support. He was probably still sen in light of his people. Different and separate from the Republic, yet he had never wanted to leave... he never wanted to abandon those around him. His place was in the Republic and he would do what he could to return to it so his voice spoke up from his booth he had acquired in his temporary arrival, and hopefully permanent remainder.

"Excuse, Senators and Chancellor Sparrow. I am sure you know who i am so i will do away with flair or titles. My people left the Republic on order of my queen, standing her now might even not bee what she wanted but i could not remain gone and abandon the Republic like that of my former associate. My people are probably seen as traitors, but we have always been beside the Republic, for longer than i can remember reading about and thats why i want to speak now and place myself forward for this position. Ill be the first to admit, like many here. My combat experience is limited, an my knowledge mostly academic. Even on Eshan we are taught the ways of war, but i have seldom had the chance to truly stand and prepare for them with the few chances ive been given. But just as you all are servants of the Republic, as am I. I am a tool and i wished to be wielded by this Senate and by the Republic itself while defending its people and those who see this meeting or are here today... This is why i wish to nominate myself for the opportunity to stand for the Republic as its Supreme Commander... no as it's guardian and protector."

His voice held for a moment as he sighed. The man was young, he knew what he was doing would probably be seen as beyond his ability and years and yet his eyes returned to those around him. "Senator [member="Suravi Teigra"] and Lady [member="Keira Ticon"], i mean not to make this a farce, both of you are infinitely far more skilled either in personal combat." His eyes went to Keira as he said that, knowing her abilities overshadowed his on such a level that she could remove his presence with a flick of her hand... even if he hid his own force potential it would be pure bladesmanship that he seemed to mean. "Or my senior in the senate..." He turned his head now to Suravi with a bow of his head and the closure of his eyes. "Yet i must ask that even with these failures of my own, i be given the chance to show not all of Eshan is gone from the Republic, and that i can protect it until my people return or my life is forfeit. We are protectors and guardians of the Republic, meant to protect its ideals. And my youth leaves me to adapt the new and the old together to return us from our ashes. There is more danger than just the Sith, and I hope that you all will give myself the chance to bring back the ideals of our Republic."

(Assuming this is ok with [member="Jack Sparrow"])

Martika Varta

Martika lifted an eyebrow as the Supreme Chancellor commenced with a rather dismissive and nonchalant attempt to contact their deposed military Commander. He understood [member=Jack Sparrow] had only recently taken office, but had expected a greater sense of professionalism from an individual in charge of a galaxy-spanning government. The approach was adequate in Martika's eyes, though the Republic leadership seemed to feel it was not their responsibility to be the ones to reach out to the woman they wished to burn at the stake. Varta hardly blamed Hadrix for her hesitance in the face of such childishness. As others began nominating themselves for the Supreme Commander's position, Martika closed his mic and leaned over to his aide. "Secure me Hadrix's contact information from the military, I would like to reach out to her myself with Keira Ticon at my side. The woman claims to have the Commander's trust, and she doesn't seem the type to lie." The aide nodded and looked down at her datatablet and began typing away while Martika returned his attention to the floor.
Currently, Alexander Sannes was nominating himself, a notion that struck Martika as immensely amusing. "All these self-nominations cause me to doubt the efficacy of them all." Martika muttered, but held his attention on Keira Ticon, the supposed accomplice of Genevieve Lasedri. Willing or not, Ticon had committed true crimes, whereas Hadrix had merely been in command of those who had. It would be a political farce to appoint Ticon to the seat of Supreme Commander after kicking Hadrix to the curb for lesser acts, and yet the woman seemed to be the only trust-worthy candidate on the list thus far. Varta knew Suravi Teigra only by reputation, which was roughly as scant as his own in a Senate body as large as the Republic's. She did seem to have an exhaustive job history, though Martika could hardly offer his support based on that alone. He looked back to his aide, "Get me data on Teigra, I want to know if her boasting matches the history." The aide nodded, still gathering contact information for Ali Hadrix.

As for Sannes...Martika knew enough to keep him off his personal short list; the boy's connection to the vitriolic government of Eshan under Senator Janira Fenni was enough to mar his reputation with a black streak. Sannes' age alone ought to have been a disqualifying factor; he was 18 and appeared to be the spoiled youth of some noble Echani family. His records indicated he grew up in relative isolation, and with no formal education listed, Martika began to wonder why he was even in this chamber at all.
Interrupting his thought process, Martika's datatablet blinked, signaling a transmission from his aide. Keying the screen, Martika opened the files provided on Suravi Teigra. They were not too exhaustive, unfortunately, with a history that began with disturbing suddenness. He began digging deeper into Republic records in order to unlock who the woman might truly be, though he found little save for a gleaming record of philanthropy. Hmmm...interesting. So...likable. And she was indeed, however the abrupt start of her records concerned him. He'd seen it before with politicians seeking office that had...pasts of ill repute. Maybe it's nothing. Martika assuaged himself. Then again...he'd been wrong before.
"It seems the only viable option is Ticon herself at this point," Martika muttered under his breath. "And even she spent a part of her life working with criminals." He sighed, "Is it too much to ask for our leaders to be free of criminal histories?" The aide opened her mouth and began to reply, but Martika cut her off with a flick of his wrist. "It was rhetorical, clearly. Do you have that information yet?" He asked. The aide nodded and handed him her datatablet; Martika took it and rested it upon one knee.
"There she is," he said to himself. "Disgraced Commander of the Republic." Martika transferred the data to his own tablet, then returned the aide's to her. After Sannes had finished his little speech, Martika keyed his mic and stood to replace the boy. Before speaking, Martika released the relevant data he'd acquired on the nominees to the Senate data Cloud, allowing any and all to see the records of evidence he was about to discuss.

"Esteemed nominees, the Republic thanks you for your desire to serve. I, however, have several concerns I feel pertinent to the discussion at hand. Firstly, [member=Alexander Sannes], you are a newly minted adult with no experience that I can see in the commandeering of military forces. You have participated in no campaigns, and even your civilian education is...lacking. I could never, in good faith, provide my support to a child in pursuit of this post."
Martika offered a slight bow of respect, then turned to [member=Suravi Teigra]. "Senator Teigra, your experience is an invaluable resource, I must say. My concern regarding your appointment rests with your clear self-approval." Martika outlined the woman's recorded history on the Cloud file. "You've lived a good life, I suppose." He scrolled through a wealth of financial records revolving around Teigra's corporate history. "Yet I see several things in your record that I feel are cause for concern. Your recent trip to Eshan, the world formerly represented by [member=Janira Fenni], for instance. I can only fathom what you may have been doing there, and in relative secrecy given the subversive nature of your travel. Perhaps it is the place of the Senate to know the details of your business on a world so adamantly opposed to the Republic itself?" Martika shrugged, his robes shifting with the movement. "Just as concerning are your travels to Alderaan, another world expressing its desire to succeed, and in concert with the forces of the Mandalorians, who have recently exposed themselves to be enemies of the Republic. Senators, I must question the wisdom of appointing a known consort to the Republic's foes to one of the highest offices we possess. But perhaps I'm only seeing the forest for the trees."
Martika's attention refocused on [member=Keira Ticon]. "Oddly enough you, Commander Ticon, seem most readily capable of handling the proffered post, and yet I must withhold my support of your nomination on the basis of your history Genevieve Lasedri as well as the criminal organization known as the Red Ravens. Such deviant activity cannot be tolerated by those being provided such power as our highest government officials, who must be above reproach."

The Umbaran Senator scanned the chamber as he allowed his words to simmer briefly before concluding. "There is a light, however, at the end of this very dark tunnel." Martika said clearly, uploading a final record to the Senate data Cloud. "I would like to second Senator [member=Khyros Sunblade]'s nomination of Admirals Tian [member=Reshmar] and [member=Gir Quee] to the post of Supreme Commander of the Republic military, which they can serve in equal measure. Their records are impeccable; Admiral Reshmar served in the Dac Defense Corps for years after studying at the Ackbar School for Games and Theory, thus his education as a military leader is beyond dispute. Admiral Quee's lengthy service with the Republic Navy is similarly sterling in nature. Their tactical genius is obvious when one views their records as naval commanders and most importantly: Both have maintained an indisputable history of military bearing and loyalty to spirit of command. In light of these facts, it is my firm belief that they are our best candidates available to us for this post. General [member=William Forlon] would similarly be a veritable nominee, t
hank you." Martika stood just long enough to gauge the reception of his nomination by the Senate, then took his seat and returned to the role of a listener.

When the name of the Red Ravens was put forward Keira remained silent for a long moment, lost for a short while in what had been memories of a simpler time. Blinking them away she looked over [member="Suravi Teigra"] and [member="Alexander Sannes"] that had both nominated themselves before turning her attention to [member="Geral Varta"]. "I left the Ravens seven years ago, and the organization itself has since then collapsed. They no longer hold any sway in the criminal underworld, and the majority of what former territory had been held is now under control of the Techno Union. Since then I've abandoned that way of life." When it came to her past that was one of the more touchy subjects, though not one she explicitly regretted by any means.

Thought shifted then to the coup, though her stance or expression didn't waver in the least. "Listen, I know...I know what you've all heard about the coup and how the army was involved. But I've been with the men from day one. I've trained with them, drilled with them and lived among them as one of their own. We're aliit. We're family. I wasn't going to abandon them to the whims of a woman like Lasedri, especially not when they didn't have a choice in the matter thanks to the chips that were placed in their brains that have since then been removed. What kind of commander - or family, for that matter - would I have been if I left them to die in a war they didn't understand or have any ability to object to?"

Silence fell briefly, and she let the weight of her words sink in for that short period. "I was there on Contruum and Balmorra with the men. I fought to defend the Republic, as did they. Even after what happened with the former Prime Minister, we stood by Republic forces on Chazwa and helped prevent the Sith from taking the planet or causing any further civilian death, along with incapacitating one of their Sith Lords." Even for someone whom this constant war seemed to blur together for, these were battles that would forever stick out in her memory. "Most recently, I fought on Roche. My men and I made it a priority to take Ali Hadrix into custody but were interrupted by the invading forces. Afterwards I took part in the peace talks with the Mandalorians in order to negotiate a treaty between our nations. The clones and I serve as an intermediary between these governments.

"Not long ago I communicated the Republic's agreement to the terms the Clans put forth with consent of Supreme Chancellor [member="Jack Sparrow"]. A ceasefire has since then been declared and accepted, which I hope will prevent further conflict with their people. I believe the aforementioned factors qualify me just as well as any other for this position."

[member="Khyros Sunblade"]

[member="Geral Varta"]

Alexander listened to the man's words with a nod to each concern, holding no anger or otherwise for each point. The man showed the facts as they were and they were as the man said. His experience was lacking, both in actual combat and campaigns of war. He as an Echani was a tool and for the longest time that was as a face on Eshan rather than a warrior of the Republic. Upon his own arrival to the Senate, he had only done so out of the sheer support through private channels aiding him in aquiring the position after insisting in his abilities... and they were torn from his chance before he could plant himself firmly on the ground in the Senate.

This man before him, he was not the Umbaran senator of the past, he was a new one whom Alexander had not had the pleasure of meeting. He drew on Alexander's curiosity and his eyes moved to [member="Keira Ticon"] to let her defend herself before he could speak. Once she was done though his voice would leave his throat and he would nod his head towards the man with the same amount of respect and humility as before. "Senator Varta. Every concern you have is correct. My education was in private. In History, Arts, and those traditions we Echani are known for. I am not the most competent warrior here, that is Lady Ticon without a doubt. Nor the longest serving. In fact both admirals are far more experienced than even Ticon who i mentioned not moments ago. Yet just as Ticon sees the former controlled clones as family, i see the Republic as such."

His eyes drew on the woman for a few seconds before reverting to the others once more and namely the Umbaran Senator. "I am young, but as was many hero's of the past, and Villains. The Jedi who defeated Caedus and Vader, the Princess that destroyed a weapon of terror. A Queen who four years my younger and many years yours helped expose a plot and remove a planetary force after the Republic had not been able to aid her..." He paused and turned his head to stare at the ceiling. "Age does not determine the effectiveness of those in question, nor does their place in society. And yet i must agree with you in a single fact. Whoever is chosen must have the ideals of the Republic in thought... so to avoid the same situation that had put us in this very situation."

Khyros slipped back into his pod after speaking with Admiral [member="reshmar"] in a private holo booth. He was decidedly unhappy with the crop of choices for Commander, Keira may be a good choice in a few years, but it was too recent when she was Lasedri's right hand. Sannes was a good man, but young and unpolished in military command, years would see him some good as well. His fellow Senator [member="Suravi Teigra"] had a bit of a chequered past, though it was long and she definitely had the experience. Both Gir and Reshmar didn't want the position for themselves either.

Khyros had left the service to pursue a life of politics, but beyond that to preserve the Republic as it should have been all along. hyros tapped a few keys into his computer, then stood up in his pod.

"I have been in communication with both Admiral [member="gir quee"] and Admiral [member="reshmar"], neither wish to possess the position of Commander of Republic Forces. With that in mind, I would also like to put forth my name for consideration, Chancellor. I've served in the regular Army and in the Senate guard before becoming a Senator. While I have not been a Senator long, I believe that my experience here and in the courtroom will allow me to have a perspective that would be new to the position. I mean no ill will to the other Candidates, just giving the Chancellor as many choices as possible." He finished with a grin.

[member="jack sparrow"]

Martika Varta

The declination of both Admirals [member=Reshmar] and [member=Gir Quee] were crushing to the Umbaran senator. The two were among the Republic's finest, and there were scant few others who had served with such distinction. Martika took a deep breath and let it out calmly, returning his attention to the floor. With [member=Khyros Sunblade]'s own self-nomination brought forth, his patience had begun to fray. The self-indulgance of the Senate had never grown so frivolous in his time before now. He stood as [member=Keira Ticon] and the young boy sought to defend themselves to the politicians who would decide their respective fates. "[member=Alexander Sannes], young man, you are ineligible for service due in part to your age yes, but also due to your utter lack of experience in the arena of command, particularly of that within the Republic itself. Thank you for your kind offer of service."
Martika swiftly turned his attention toward Ticon, the strongest candidate they had left thus far, though he was neglecting to bring up another: Marcus Solstice, the current acting Supreme Commander. Martika wondered if now was the best time to remind the Senate of the chain of command, or if he should wait until they had completed their slew of self-aggrandizements.

"Ticon, seven years is how long it takes for a DUI charge to be cleared from a civilian's record. I could not, in good conscience, support the appointment of an individual who for some great time of her life assisted in the campaigning of dangerous criminals whose activities led to the deaths of innocent people. I do not care if you were merely trying to find yourself, you were directly responsible for reprehensible criminal acts which, in the eyes of the Republic, would make you ineligible for service at such a sensitive level of command. Senator Sunblade, your offer of service is likewise dully noted, yet I would remind you I myself served in the regular force, and am roughly as qualified as yourself to lead the Republic military. I am also well aware that you are not cleared for military service any longer due to the injuries you sustained during your service as a Senate Guardsmen, which is not a requirement we can waive for a position as crucial as this one."
Martika glared notably at the candidates before the Senate, his hands gripping the edges of his podium.
"This is not a game we play," he cautioned, lifting a pointed finger. "I do not intend to allow this great Republic to become a farce by hiring children, criminals or cripples to fight our battles. We are floundering, my fellow Senators, and our military chain of command is clearly broken in several places. If neither of Admirals Reshmar or Quee will accept the posts they would so rightly perform, then I must move that this decision be settled at a later date, and Marcus Solstice continue serving as the interim Supreme Commander as Ali Hadrix's former second in command. Perhaps when the current geopolitical circumstances are resolved we can return to the concept of hiring child soldiers to lead our armies." Martika sat heavily in his seat, most disappointed in the proceedings. Thus far, the only candidates available were children and criminals. He nearly laughed out loud as he considered the irony of Ali Hadrix, a woman not even charged with criminal crimes, being usurped by an actual criminal.

[member="Geral Varta"]

"Mr. Varta, I believe I may have missed the vote that saw you elevated to the position of Chancellor. I apologize for missing it, I would have very much liked to cast my vote." Khyros feigned looking down at his notes, though his eyes remained devoid of any emotion, then he looked back up. "Oh, it seems that I missed no vote. Chancellor Sparrow is still in charge here, and as such will make the decision of when an appointment is made and who that appointment will be." He settled his hands behind his back and raised a single eyebrow to the other Senator. "I do appreciate you running our candidates through some questions, but please refrain from deciding their eligibility. That choice is for the Chancellor to make, we are present as candidates or as advisors."

[member="Geral Varta"] [member="Khyros Sunblade"]

"Senator Varta, i do hope you understand the laws of the republic. I am pretty sure i am not under age just as the former Supreme Chancellor seven years ago was not so when she took office... the greatest of the recent Supreme Chancellors, with the exception of Chancellor Sparrow as he was just elected..." Alexander may distrust the man more than a small bit, but it was the fact that the man just recently got the job that made Solan want to worry more about the future than the present. "Our former Chancellor was two years my former, and yet she is considered one of the better Chancellors even if she was so young. So unless i missed somewhere that it was passed in which age that low could not hold a important office such as this, then i apologize."

Martika Varta

Martika held his ground, he had little choice. Senator Sunblade's insolence belied the man's relative impatience, which Martika himself could empathize with given their current list of nominees. Addressing both the Senator and the boy from Eshan, the Umbaran politician answered politely. "Of course, Senator Sunblade. My goal is not to challenge the esteemed Chancellor's decision-making rights, nor determine for this assembly the eligibility of its nominees. However, Sannes' candidacy is every bit a legal issue, my fellow Senator, as it is a political one. I would not expect this body to support the elevation of a child to such heights of responsibility. I'm glad Alexander Sannes mentioned Kayleigh Tyven; the woman served for years with distinction within the ranks of the Republic Navy. This Echani is an outsider from a world wishing to secede that has spent no time amongst our agencies. Surely you can empathize with my disinclination."

[member="Geral Varta"]

"I assure you Senator Varta, that my time on the Senate which you so easily have forgotten was longer than yours and i had not meant for my planet to leave the Republic. It was not my decision, but the decision of my queen and the Compact in leaving the Republic. I come here in stark contrast as i said before when i placed my name forward. What im doing is explicitly against what my queen and the Compact want for the Echani people. Yet i know that what they have done will help neither party." He sighed, he was getting tired of being called a child, especially when there were those his younger who had done far more at their time. "Do tell me, there are no laws that do not permit my ability to become such. And as for a Political one, what would this be. I have essentially given up my place on my home planet to stand here before the Republic. As i understand it, rather than give up my citizenship to the republic or forsaken it as my home, i returned. Unless you have records of where i gave up my place by my own words to protect the home you and I both share. Not the choice or my queen. Not the choice of my World. BUT my choice... So i ask you Senator Varta. Tell me what legal issue when i served on the same senate you are now, and what political one when ive forsaken my people to be here, which i would hope we both call home."

Faith had wanted [member="Gir Quee"] to resume the duties of Supreme Commander but his duties had taken him away from the Republic. Faith knowing little about the others could only listen to the nominations, and the information given on each.

Besides she was currently in discussions with [member="Jack Sparrow"] about political conditions with Alderaan and just how much longer she should remain as Minister of Intelligence. Most likely within a few days she would either resign, or be asked to continue. She just didn't know but in the meantime she would keep apprised of appointments.

"I've listened and consulted, then taken a break to use the Men's room, washed my hands, came back, read a bit more, broke for lunch, which, by the by if you haven't tried the Hillinodr fowl salad, you really ought. Very nice. Spicy mayonnaise. So. Having duly reviewed the nominees and a few more besides, I should like to offer the position of Supreme Commander to [member="Willam Forlon"], and so I do."

[member="Jack Sparrow"] Thank you for your support. I accept and will carry out this command to the best of my ability. IN the days to come I will be speaking with key members of the military and forming a Staff from which the Republics military will lead through the dark days we face. I will also be working with the senate to form an oversight committee so that we never face the events of the past months again. Together we will work to build a new foundation for a Republic Military as a tool of peace not a weapon of war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom