Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech ND-013 "White Noise" Class LRWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
ira-helder-dirt-03.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a technologic force counter, akin to Ysalamiri.
  • Image Source: Here
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: Cell Death SignalingRi Qorit
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Jaeger Solutions
  • Affiliation: Closed Market
  • Model: ND-013 "White Noise" Class LRWD
  • Modularity: N/A
  • Production: Limited
  • Material:
    • Casing: Durasteel
    • Interior: Various Electronic Components
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Midichlorian Apoptosis Signal Generator
    • Causes midichlorians in organics to commit apoptosis, temporarily reducing or even removing force potential.
  • Blaring 'White Noise' Effect
    • Ranges from headache causing, to physically debilitating.
  • Transponder w/ 10m AoE
    • Directionalized 20m Focused Beam
STRENGTHS
  • Cyber Ysalamiri -
    • While ysalamiri have been used for generations by Mandalorians looking for an edge, the "White Noise" offers something different; a ysalamiri in technologic form. Able to send specific wavelengths ranging from gamma to simple vibrations, the ND-013 is able to deafen Force Users to their coveted Force - and even do prolonged damage to their connection until they are removed from its range of effects. This ignores the more traditional disablers or sith augments to counter Ysalamiri by not effecting the Force itself, but rather the midichlorians within organics - even through thick armor plates.
  • Feel It In My Teeth -
    • In addition to the constant weakening of a users Force Potential within the area of effect, Force Users will experience their connection to the force backfire on them in the form of 'white noise'. Akin to blaring radio static, this effect can cause physical pain to those well versed in the force, or even paralyze something with an extreme sensitivity or lack of training to the Force.
WEAKNESSES
  • Ionic Discharge -
    • Like any electronic, a strong enough electric charge can disable them; but only temporarily. With reinforced internals, the system can take a direct hit and be down for only a few seconds to minutes before coming back online; though this is ample enough time for the vast majority of Force Users to kill the wearer or escape if they so chose. Similar to disabling the nutrient pack for a ysalamiri, it is simply a cost of having mobile force cancelling effects.
  • A Million Voices -
    • Since midichlorians are not only found in Force Users, but all biologicals, anyone within range of the transponder can feel its effects - though to a lesser degree if they are not considered 'force sensitive'. This can often be felt as a buzzing in the teeth, akin to chewing on tin foil - or some experience serious lethargy while operating the equipment. As a result, it is often recommended to counter act the effects with stimulants, though this in itself can cause severe drawbacks of its own.
  • Biological Limitations -
    • Unlike Ysalamiri, the ND-013 does not work on non organics. That means that alchemically enhanced objects made of metal would be unaffected - though anything that draws on a living person would be affected. This means that if someone were to say, wear alchemically enhanced armor that did not require its user to be force sensitive, the ND-013 would have no effect but would still affect the person inside said armor. It is exclusively for Force Users and biological entities like Sith Spawn, not for weapons or armor itself.
DESCRIPTION

After the failed repossession effort of Team Caeser on Nar Shaddaa, Jaeger went to work to arm its customers and security forces with a means to neutralize the dangerous effects of Force Users through more technological means. Abandoning the burdensome yslamiri nutrient pack for something more modern, Jaeger’s R&D moved to develop something not dissimilar from the Ri Qorit Disabler they have reverse engineered from earlier designs - though this one was less about the Ysalamiri, and more about the midichlorians themselves.
In this, Jaeger developed the first prototype of the ND-013, and effectively established a new market away from the coveted nutrient packs of yesteryear. Capable of penetrating armor and disabling midichlorians through sheer interference of their biological processes, the ND-013 performs its duties spectacularly. When Force Users are exposed to the effects of the ND-013 for prolonged periods of time, their midichlorian count can substantially drop until they are removed from its area of effect and allowed time to recuperate - though all subjects have made full recoveries within a few weeks of their stress test.
Additionally, the ND-013 “White Noise” earned its namesake from the reported side effect of its test subject’s experience. Many had reported feeling their midichlorians ‘call out’ in pain, causing rampant migraines and even paralyzing seizures in certain subjects. Considering this a beneficial side effect, Jaeger continued the experiments but found no deaths despite months of exposure - the moral implications of such test be damned.
Overall, with this newly found tech, Jaeger seeks to upend the ‘force canceling’ corner of the market Ysalamiri have held with something far more marketable to the average bounty hunter. Small, capable of being carried around on a utility belt, and with only minor side effects, the ND-013 has proved exceptional in all its combat runs to date - and has done wonders for Jaeger’s stock price.

Last edited:

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

Sorry for the delay this one was tricky.

This is ambitious to say the least but maybe a little too much so. The range is massive far more then the creature it is trying to mimic., The effects potentially unblockable (people still would be calling their conditions in the rp)

The ambition is there but the concept can open avenues for abuse or exploitation. So I will deny it on concept you cans econd chance this of course.

As this was second chanced, I'll quote the concerns listed by Krass Wyms Krass Wyms - however, I am unsure if she will be judging this further.

1. Massive Range
    1. I have reduced the range to be more on par with regular ysalamiri. 10m AOE, 20m projected (small field of effect).
  2. Unblockable
    1. Just like Ysalamiri are not 'blockable', the White Noise is meant as a comparison - however, it has the trade back of not affecting artifacts that use the Force, while Ysalamiri are able to nullify more than just Force Users, but all Force Effects within their effective range. However, if there is some balancing concern to be had, if a weakness is recommended I would be willing to hash one out.
No other changes were made, but more can be made upon request.

An interesting concept, and one which I don't think anyone has really touched on or considered before.

Before we get too far into the review I just have one question for you. How does it work?

I understand that this works by creating a field in which apoptosis occurs, but I don't understand beyond that. Midichlorians, which you seem to be targeting, exist in every cell, so you would need to kill the majority of cells in a body to cut off someone's connection to the force. Or at least you would need to kill off so many that an organic could no longer be said to be alive.

Also, how does this long-range apoptosis work? Do you have a canon or real-world example of someone being able to cause it via technological means? It seems to be caused by biological processes and diseases rather than something that can be triggered by technological means.

John Locke John Locke

Generally speaking, the "White Noise" works by being an external stimuli that encourages cell death in high midichlorian count cells - as found here, and taking some fictional leeway from submissions like the Ri Qorit here. Together, they use a long distance 'signal' that tricks cells into self termination so long as they have a heavy midichlorian count under the assumption these cells operate in the body at a slightly different level than other cells considering their nature.

As far as 'kill the majority of cells', I'm not sure you'd actually have to. While many cells (those with high midichlorian, since it isn't entirely established if there are certain areas that contain higher density) will self terminate, other selfs will be heavily afflicted by the signal, and while they may resist the actual apoptosis they may not actually be able to commit to their usual function of force influence. It should also be noted that the White Noise does not have a perfect fidelity, and that's why even after months of exposure it can not actually kill someone, since their cells likely replicate at a pace fast enough to keep up with the signal, even if they can't directly influence the Force.

I will admit, there is a strong fictional take on how this all works - but I will say that long-range apoptosis does happen through things like radiation, but this submission isn't meant to give people cancer (even if the submission itself is), so instead is a harmless way to do exactly that. I hope that works as a decent rationale.

I can see where you're coming from, however, in episode I they test Anakin's blood to determine his Midichlorian count, therefore all the blood in your body must contain it. We know that the body can only produce so much blood at a time, so if the device is wiping out at bare minimum your blood cells that would result in enough cells being destroyed that your body would not be able to keep up with the loss.

Having reviewed the sources provided, I will accept that it is possible to cause long-range apoptosis of the type that you wish to see here. However, as per my argument above, I do believe that the cell death would not be as limited as you desire. However, this is a decent argument to be made.

If you can add the sources you provided to the primary information field then I'll go ahead and approve the submission with the usual addendum. Abuse it and you lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom