Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval Officer Ranks?

Hey there everyone!

As the title suggests, I'm hoping for some advice in terms of Naval Ranks/Command structure about a Starship like "The Judiciary" as I'm in the process of writing up an NPC Crew for it. Veiere is taking the rank of Captain of the Judiciary, mostly because I'm not confident in fleeting or matching the demands of an Admiral! :lol:

Can anyone tell me the Command Structure leading up to the Rank of Captain, for a Bridge Crew please?

As always, [member="Coci Heavenshield"], that's great thank you!

I'm not very knowledgeable in these area's lol it's an area of RP I don't take on very much, but am choosing to focus on it now for the Silvers :D

[member="Veiere Arenais"]

Just focus on keeping it simple. I could give plenty of RL examples, but they get into the weeds of authorized billets vs watch stations. Don’t makes it complicated and go with a system that works for you.

Bunker-level Normal
In Star Wars canon, we seem to see different structures depending on Republic/Imperial or Rebel.

Republic/Imperial seems to use a crew/officer separation with several levels to jump through for orders to be processed down and for information to filter back up. Rarely did we see the ship's commander directly overseeing a station unless there was a problem. So general hierarchy seems to be crew > watch/deck officer > ship commander (> mission commander, a la Vader or an Admiral).

Rebel seemed much tighter, with crew reporting directly to the ship commander, and a much simpler command structure. Crew > Captain.

Confederacy appears to be an organic or droid commander, and then droids all the way down, though.

As for crew stations, the simplest would probably be navigation, comms and tactical. You can go as complicated as you want, though. There are some decent sci-fi examples in Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and The Expanse.

Using real world examples the ranks from captain go:

Captain - Commander - Lieutenant Commander - Lieutenant - Lieutenant Junior Grade - Ensign. All of these are officer ranks.

If we're talking bridge crew, as Captain more likely than not your XO is either a Commander or Lt. Commander, quite probably the latter.

Depending on how many you want in a 'bridge crew' you basically keep it proportionate based on the top ranks. In my head it makes sense to think of the bridge crew as X+2, with that 2 being the commanding officer and executive officer. You don't want to have too many high ranks but star wars is pretty wishy washy with crew size once you get these massive starships.

Thanks everyone!

I've got my draft written up so far, and I just need to add a bit more depth to the descriptions and such, but I'm pretty happy with how it's looking.

Really appreciate the sound advice!

[member="Kaine Australis"]

Thanks dude, it's good to see you're still around. [member="Kay Arenais"] was afraid you'd up and left Chaos.

Hope all's well on your end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom