Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp Spyridon, Erakhis

Please tell me you have good news,” Inanna muttered, leaning back in her chair.

The hologram of Enkidu projected above her desk shook his head. “It’s bad.”

Inanna shielded her eyes with her hand, then coughed. She was literally sick and tired of this shit. Catching her breath, she sat up. “All right, let’s hear it.

“We had a series of murders last night. Reports are still coming in, but the number is currently set at twenty four dead. All of them major heads of families, most with criminal connections. The murders were done execution style, almost certainly by a professional.”

But one professional hitman couldn’t have taken out that many people in a single night.

“Right. So it was probably a coordinated hit.” Enkidu looked pensive. “I don’t think it’s gang warfare. This feels different.”

What makes you say that?

“All of them were decapitated, sometimes after death. As if they were trying to send a message.”

She put the pieces together. Prestor, the Fleshtaker spy who had been killed by the Spiran gang, had been decapitated. Word must’ve gotten out among the other uncountable Fleshtakers that were probably hiding among the refugees.

Well, I’ve got a meeting today with a visiting Jedi,” she replied. “I’ll be busy, but keep me posted.

“Acknowledged. Don’t go anywhere without guards.”

Once the hologram dissipated, Inanna sighed and got up. It was going to be a long day.

She arrived at the landing pad with a retinue of bodyguards, none of them Shi’ido. While she waited for the Jedi’s ship to arrive, she broke into a coughing fit. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out some basic over-the-counter medicine, poured out the pills in her hand, and swallowed them. The camp doctor said it was just a cold, but it was kicking her ass, and the cold, wet air outside wasn’t helping matters. She’d given her environmental suit to a family in the camp, so all she had was a coat, gloves, and scarf to keep warm.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Things were bad, all over the place. The war with the Maw had made more refugees than he could ever count, but Kahlil wasn't used to actually interacting with them. As a Jedi, anyway. His ship, a simple freighter under the name Bastion, landed outside the Shi'ido camp. And camp it was. Even from the viewport he couldn't help but grimace at the state of things. It was hardly surprising, given everything he'd heard about it. Fear. Fear was always the great divider when it came to helping others.

And formless, brainwashed assassins were among the greatest fear anyone could have.

The ramp of his ship descended as he stepped out. Behind him, several hovercarts floated down, carrying various needed supplies. Nutrition bars, medicine, clothing. It wasn't much, but he had a ship capable of at least bringing a couple dozens of the crates so why wouldn't he? For once he was dressed more like a Jedi. Well, no. He had the outer robe on with the hood up which screamed Jedi to anyone who'd at least heard rumors of them, but that was the only thing he wore that was classic to them.

Only because of the rain.

He gave a single nod to the approaching group, his silver eyes scanning through them all. Not mistrusting. As a Jedi like he was, he could afford trust to the people. If any turned out to be those brainwashed assassins, he'd probably be the first to know. Even before the programing activated.

"Inanna, yes? Master Kahlil. Is there a dryer place we can talk?"

Inanna Harth Inanna Harth

Inanna's first impression of Master Kahlil Noble was one of dismay. She saw the couple dozen crates he had brought with him, and knew on sight that it wasn't going to be enough. Granted, they weren't starving (not anymore) so she supposed it wouldn't hurt to accept them. But if he had arrived at an earlier date, when things were worse, the intended gift might have caused a riot in the camp.

As for her guards, they were... interesting.

"Inanna, yes? Master Kahlil. Is there a dryer place we can talk?"

A sudden laugh from Inanna was cut through by a cough. "Oh, not really," she replied. "This is an oceanic world, after all."

But she gestured with her hand for him to follow, and headed back to the camp HQ, which was currently stationed in an abandoned school. Wandering through eerily empty halls, some still sporting student projects along the walls, she brought the Jedi to her office, where a portable heater provided some extra warmth.

Inanna sat down behind her desk, then gestured for Kahlil to have a seat in a chair across from her. "Now, Master Kahlil. What exactly are the Jedi's intentions here?"

Blunt and to the point, but at least she was honest.

Kahlil_Div2.png

If they weren't Sithspawn, Kahlil didn't seem to care. Even then he probably wouldn't. Monsters, bioengineered or not, he'd made several of his own once upon a time. He fell in line behind the woman, letting his gaze drift to the camp itself. They made use of what they had, that was good. What they had amounted to scraps. That was bad. He kept quiet though. He doubted anyone here thought their position was a good one.

Once inside the office the taller figure took a seat where indicated, leaning back comfortably. Hands in his lap. Right to the point then? That suited him fine.

"Shi'do sleeper agents keep you from getting the full help your people need. I'm here to help see if it's something the Jedi can help sense before they become a problem and get them the help they need. And to help facilitate proper equipment, medicine, supplies. If the people of the world are too afraid to help, then it's only fitting the Jedi step in, right?"

No sooner had she sat down, Inanna was on her feet again, this time to brew some caf.

I take it word of the diplomatic incident that occurred here a few weeks ago has reached the NJO,” Inanna murmured, watching the machine percolate. “If it’s any consolation, the Fleshtaker responsible is dead. But we estimate many more are already in the camp, hiding in plain sight.

If you can detect them with the Force, I ask that you do so discreetly. The people here are resentful toward Jedi. They blame them for the genocide against our people—for failing to liberate Lao-mon and igniting the Maw’s wrath against us. They won’t take kindly to anything resembling a witch hunt.

Perhaps Kahlil expected the sleeper agents to suddenly change their behavior when caught, revealing their true nature. In Inanna’s experience, that wasn’t always the case. Many would plead with friends and loved ones, protesting their innocence as they were hauled away.

As for your aid, with all due respect, I know better than to rely upon the Jedi.” She poured herself a mug of caf, then glanced over her shoulder at Kahlil. “Sorry, would you like some?

Kahlil_Div2.png

"The fact there are more is what alarms everyone." Himself included. Having been marked himself as something similar, he knew how terrible it could be. Not knowing, knowing, there wasn't a good choice for anyone. A witch hunt, though? Kahlil grimaced. "No, no witch hunt. If we can find these people before they trip, we should be able to help them. If it's even possible."

And that was a pretty big if. A brow raised as he watched the woman pour herself a cup. "I wouldn't mind some, no. But I have no intention of making you rely on the Jedi. Just, if the fear is there are sleepers who could very well target supply points and drop offs and we Jedi actually can sense these threats, wouldn't it make sense we bring you supplies?"

Inanna nodded along with what he was saying. The situation was very complex, and expecting simple solutions to manifest themselves was a pipe dream.

It is possible,” she replied. “We’ve had cases who were reformed. The Benandanti have been especially helpful in that regard—our skilled telepaths, that is.” She sighed. “We simply had no choice with the spy hidden among Count Alicio’s bodyguards.

As soon as he confirmed he wanted some coffee, she filled another mug and walked over to him. She waited until he finished speaking before pressing the mug into his hands—and pricked his fingertip with a small needle she had concealed up her sleeve.

It would indeed,” she said, watching to see what color his blood would be. Human red, or Shi’ido black.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil didn't even react to the needle at first. Nor did he bleed. Instead he blinked, turning his gaze to his hand where he'd been poked. Then back to Inanna with a brow raised. "Cybernetic. Would you like to try the other hand and see my blood?" He lifted up his cup, taking a slow sip as he waited an answer.

Kahlil_Div2.png

"It's not that uncommon. Shi'do bleed black." He would neither confirm nor deny, though did flinch this time as he was actually pricked. And bled red. A flex of his hand though and he already had the blood stop.

"Tell me more about the Benandanti. Actually, if I could meet one that would be of a great help. Anything I can learn that might let me identify those before they break will be of use. And, of course, knowing how to help someone in this is even more useful."

Her worries satisfied, Inanna straightened and looked down at him. Well, at least he had clearly done his homework. Up to a point.

The Benandanti are an ancient Shi’ido clan known for their telepathic abilities. Their numbers are scattered across various Shi’ido settlements, but there are a few here in the camp. We’ll have to go underwater to reach them, though.

Kahlil might balk at the idea. You never know.

Downing her caf while it was still scalding hot, Inanna led the way to a small private hangar. Inside was a unique shuttle capable of functioning as a submersible. Once they were all aboard, she piloted the shuttle over the camp, heading out to sea.

The Erakhian government included underwater real estate as part of the camp’s allotted space,” she explained as the craft dove into the water. “It’s quite common for Erakhians to live in submerged arcologies—hell, they even live in them above water. It’s made them into germaphobes.”

The shuttle continued to descend into the depths, eventually reaching an underwater facility reminiscent of an amber bubble.

Shuttle Zenobia to Clan Benandanti,” Inanna spoke over the comms. “I have Jedi Master Kahlil Noble aboard. Requesting access.

“Access granted.”

An umbilical promptly extended from the facility, connecting to the shuttle. On the other side, a modest welcoming party awaited consisting of three figures clad in sealed environmental suits.

They greeted Inanna in Shi’idese, then turned to Kahlil. “Master Kahlil,” the middle figure addressed the Jedi in thickly accented Basic. “What do you want of us?”

Last edited:

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil nodded slowly. Ah, there was a bit more information to figure out about these different cultures. Perhaps when the danger was passed he'd spend more time here, just to learn more. He gave a simple nod to the trio of environmental suits, but not before glancing curiously towards Inanna. Did she have a suit, once? Perhaps that was more the type of supplies he should arrange to be brought eventually.

Eventually.

"To learn. I hear you can heal those affected by the Maw. Anything I can learn to help find them before they trigger and heal them will be of great help."

“If it’s training you want, you would have to be with us for decades—and even then there is no guarantee of mastery,” the middle Benandanti replied.

“Decades which you may not have,” the one to his left added.

“As for healing the Fleshtakers, that is not something to be taken lightly,” the middleman continued. “A mind is a very delicate thing, as Inanna of Clan Hoole knows well.”

Inanna stood off to the side with her arms crossed, looking out the window at the ocean life beyond. She let them do the talking.

“It is not something that can be accomplished en masse in a single afternoon,” the Benandanti on the right said. “How long do you plan to stay in the camp?”

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil let out a defeated sigh. He figured it might be something he'd need to spend time to learn, but not that much time. Well, perhaps it was for the best. Making these people solely reliant on the Jedi was never his intention. Though, perhaps.. He cast a glance to Inanna, filing away that little interaction for later. Right now, his focus was on the Benandanti here.

"As long as needed. My primary objective is to learn how to find them. But, perhaps, that's something I might be able to teach you instead. The more you're able to help your own, the less need there will be for Jedi or other groups to intervene, right?"

So far, none seemed too pleased for the Jedi help. But if they could do it themselves, well. Worth a shot.

"If you can, tell me everything you know about how they feel in the Force."

“If you are asking if the Fleshtakers feel ‘different’, the answer is no,” the Benandanti on the right replied. “They feel the same. There is no corruption, no malicious thoughts that we can sense just by being in their presence.”

The middle one folded his hands. “To be able to tell if one was a Fleshtaker, we would have to perform deep telepathic scans on every individual who enters the camp. This would be not only impractical, but highly invasive. Given that the Fleshtakers are few and far between, it would do more harm than good.”

“What could you teach us that could combat this?” the left Benandanti asked.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil took a breath in thought. Deep telepathic scan? Nah, that wouldn't work for all the reasons they said and then some. Not without triggering them. But there had to be something. The conditioning they went through wasn't something that could just be hidden and tucked away without it's scars, not in the Force.

"Perhaps it's less about looking for the program, and more about looking for the echo of the trauma. Without finding someone who hadn't been triggered though I doubt we'll get any headway in that. Conditioning will leave a pretty specific mark in the Force, though. Once we find that mark, it'll get clearer who's been affected.

Do you have any Fleshtaker's here?"

“It is difficult to sense such conditioning when you are so used to seeing the trauma of war in everyone in the camp,” the middle Benandanti pointed out.

“We could look for those with violent tendencies,” the right one added.

“But there are plenty of those types among our kind nowadays,” the left one murmured. “We are raising a lost generation.”

You’re raising survivors,” Inanna remarked. “Have some faith in your people.

Her comment, followed by Kahlil’s request, prompted a few moments of silent deliberation between the telepaths. “You are standing next to one, Master Kahlil.”

Inanna swiveled her head around to face them, her gaze sharp. “I was cured.

“You are a former Fleshtaker. You bear the scars of conditioning.”

Turning to Kahlil, she raised an eyebrow. “What exactly do you want to do?

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil frowned.

He'd figured it out already. Inanna's uncomfortableness, their off handed comments. Didn't take a genius to solve that mystery. He just figured if she wanted him, an outsider, to know she'd say it herself. Not have someone else casually drop it like she was a science experiment.

But the cat was out of the bag. He let out a sigh, biting back his annoyance before turning his gaze to the Shi'do beside him. "Pull out your memories of the conditioning you'd forgotten and see what marks they leave on you in the Force. If the process was the same for the others, it'd be easier to trace that particular trauma. Even among the haze of scars from the ongoing war."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom